Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Ika posted:

Might pick up the first one next time I'm in town, has anyone else read them?

Yes. I prefer Alex Verus over the Iron Druid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It'd be nice if someone was writing a series that was just "noir wizard PI", similar to the early Dresden books. There are a few authors who seem to be trying it (Glen Cook's Garrett PI, Simon R Green's Nightstalker) but somehow the execution never quite comes together.

The Garrett books started in 1987 and were always Raymond Chandler + Rex Stout + Vietnam. In some of them you can even tell exactly what works are being mined (Old Tin Sorrows, Book 4, is very specifically The Big Sleep). They didn't suffer from power creep so much as Cook running out of ideas along the way.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

I occasionally play a game I call "gently caress This Book", where you and friends exchange copies of the cover blurb and decide at what point you reach Seinfeld-nope.gif. With that in mind, I present to you the blurb for Generation V:

quote:

Fortitude Scott’s life is a mess. A degree in film theory has left him with zero marketable skills, his job revolves around pouring coffee, his roommate hasn’t paid rent in four months, and he’s also a vampire. Well, sort of. He’s still mostly human.

But when a new vampire comes into his family’s territory and young girls start going missing, Fort can’t ignore his heritage anymore. His mother and his older, stronger siblings think he’s crazy for wanting to get involved. So it’s up to Fort to take action, with the assistance of Suzume Hollis, a dangerous and sexy shape-shifter. Fort is determined to find a way to outsmart the deadly vamp, even if he isn’t quite sure how.

But without having matured into full vampirehood and with Suzume ready to split if things get too risky, Fort’s rescue mission might just kill him.

I'm out on "Fortitude Scott", "still mostly human", and "dangerous and sexy shape-shifter."

For comparison, here's the incredibly badly named Storm Front:

quote:

For Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard, business, to put it mildly, stinks. So when the police bring him in to consult on a grisly double murder committed with black magic, Harry's seeing dollar signs. But where there's black magic, there's a black mage behind it. And now that mage knows Harry's name.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Caveats:
2) You definitely need to turn your brain off for the books
4) The occasional sex scenes are absolutely nuts
Edit: oh yeah, the Tzimisce from White Wolf's Vampire games? They're toned down versions of Lumley's vamps!

Let me amplify the above and recommend skipping the Necroscope series.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

A couple of hours? Like...how? From some math, and a word count pulled from Reddit that could be bullshit, that's about 21 words per second. Or if you were rounding, and it were 3 hours, 14 words per second.

How could you retain any knowledge if your eyes are making the briefest stop off over large chunks of text?

You'd be surprised. I just did a quick reading speed test at staples.com (which is an excerpt from War of the Worlds) and got 1,262 words per minute (21.03 words per second, or more or less exactly your number) while answering the three questions they had after the excerpt correctly.
http://www.staples.com/sbd/cre/marketing/technology-research-centers/ereaders/speed-reader/

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Slanderer posted:

The 3rd Justis Fearsson (god, what a bad name) book came out today:

The blurb is not real promising.

quote:

Justis Fearsson is a weremyste and a private detective. He wields potent magic, but every month, on the full moon, he loses his mind. His battles with insanity have already cost him his job as a cop; he can’t afford to let them interfere with his latest case

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

I think most of us did. You could reason that it's her being at her worst but it's just not fun or interesting to read.

Charlie Stross posted:

[Q]uite a few readers seemed to absolutely hate "The Annihilation Score"; they specifically disliked Mo, accusing her of being bitchy, nasty, aggressive, self-centered ... all the epithets that get hurled at assertive, competent, strong women (and especially managers) in day to day life.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

SystemLogoff posted:

I'm the opposite, I really liked the book. I could see how someone in that situation would be really out of sorts, and rear end in a top hat violin did not help.

I liked it much more than Bob's pov.

:same: Ready for The Nightmare Stacks.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

AlphaDog posted:

Isn't Bob's narration explictly, by his own admission, unreliable? Also didn't Stross specifically say (maybe in an interview or online, not in the books) that Bob's not a reliable narrator?

Can't remember the first, but yes re: the second, reaffirmed as recently as June 21.

Charlie Stross posted:

A point that was becoming clear by book 3 or book 4 is that Bob is an unreliable narrator. This was (spoiler!) originally an accident, but then a bonus.
http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2016/06/crib-sheet-the-annihilation-sc.html#more

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Well, this thread was posted when the last book came out and that was in 2014. Can't be long now, maybe summer of 2017, spring of 2018. :shepface:
Butcher hasn't finished a first draft of Peace Talks, so it's gonna be a while.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

biracial bear for uncut posted:

No, because it isn't available for those of us that live in the US and can't be bothered to change their address to one in the UK because we can't be bothered to look up a fake address to use.

I'd rather stick to my electronic copies because my dead tree book storage shelves are fully loaded and I haven't enough space to store more books.

This, but mostly unironically and I already did look up a fake address but after switching for the last 2 PC Peter Grant books I can no longer be arsed.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I'm sorry, but you can never have too many bookshelves.*

* Includes makeshift bookshelves

My makeshift bookshelves before I gave up were made of books.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Velius posted:

Really, I should fake a U.K. Address because gently caress the us publishers for constantly releasing three to six months later in the states for no loving reason.

Malet Street
London, WC1E 7HU
United Kingdom
Phone: +44 (0)20 7862 8000

Go nuts.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Entirely too cute

Is myfanwy even a redhead

Myfanwy can manage cute, but has dark hair (as noted, you can dye that).

quote:

I am nondescript, she thought. Nondescript features with shoulder-length dark hair.

quote:

I won’t be able to hit the level of Hot, but I might be able to manage Cute.

For people targeting age-appropriate casting, Myfanwy is 31.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Junkenstein posted:

It's muh-van-oo-ee, but that oo-ee is one syllable. Can't really think of a way to type it.

Sounds like Muh-van-way to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s885Ek2T85M&t=24s

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

jivjov posted:

Unless you bought a copy of Peace Talks already, Butcher doesn't owe you jack poo poo.

Part of the commitment in buying an unfinished work is in exchange for the promise that the work will be completed.

...to make this more clear, since I know you’re an idiot: if I had known Butcher / GRRM / Rothfuss would never finish their series, I never would have bought the first ones.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Anyone read Jade City? Amazon is trying to hawk it to me for one euro and at that price I'm willing to take the plunge, but still...

Your answer to the question "wouldn't it be great if somebody crossed the Godfather with wuxia?" will answer the question "would I like to read Jade City?"

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

I'm pretty sure there is a section in The Rook specifically about that.

There is.

Do you know the name of the body you are in? It’s Myfanwy. Myfanwy Alice Thomas. I would say that it’s my name, but you’ve got the body now, so I suppose you’ll be using it. People tend to mangle its pronunciation, but I would like it if you at least knew how to say it. I don’t embrace the traditional Welsh pronunciation, so for me the w is silent and the f is hard. Thus, Miff-un-ee. Simple. In fact, now that I think about it, it rhymes with Tiffany.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Junkenstein posted:

Muh-van-oo-ee is probably the closest, with the "oo-ee" being one syllable.

How close is this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s885Ek2T85M&t=24s

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

I just got through reading these and they're neat. Very Tim Powers Last Call esque. You can tell the author actually lives in new orleans.

...the author is going to an unhealthy amount of effort to specify the bars the character is wearing a t-shirt from, the bars the character goes to, etc. He's not wrong, but it reads like a travelogue at points.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

A lot of those locales have their own personality and history too (tipitina's is a storied venue, etc.)

I live there (city not bar; I am far from tipitina’s); I know.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Isn't she not actually a succubus, and more of a demon enforcer that was under a geas to act like that when she was captured?

Felix Castor was the one with a succubus.

Nah, Caitlin is a succubus, just a violent one.

e;f,b.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

bobjr posted:

I kind of want to watch it only because I've heard nothing but bad things about it, but in a forgotten way where no one wants to remember it rather than a hateful way.

I didn't think it was bad at the time, and I was sad when it went off the air, but I haven't rewatched it in the intervening 13 years.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

I really love Gil's All-Fright Diner, and most of that author's stuff is good too. The Automatic Detective is probably my favorite of them all.

drat, I'm going to have to reread Gil's All-Fright Diner and the rest of Martinez' stuff again now.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Coca Koala posted:

When Quentin graduates from Magic College, the principal makes a huge speech about where magic comes from, and he explicitly says “I’m pretty sure we can do magic because we’re massive whiny babies who refuse to grow up and deal with the fact that the real world is hard and so we force reality to bend to our whims because the alternative is learning how to be a functioning adult and none of us want to do that”

The Dean says that, but it's not as negative as you make it sound.

The Magicians posted:

“Sometimes I wonder if man was really meant to discover magic,” Fogg said expansively. “It doesn’t really make sense. It’s a little too perfect, don’t you think? If there’s a single lesson that life teaches us, it’s that wishing doesn’t make it so. Words and thoughts don’t change anything. Language and reality are kept strictly apart—reality is tough, unyielding stuff, and it doesn’t care what you think or feel or say about it. Or it shouldn’t. You deal with it, and you get on with your life.

“Little children don’t know that. Magical thinking: that’s what Freud called it. Once we learn otherwise we cease to be children. The separation of word and thing is the essential fact on which our adult lives are founded.

“But somewhere in the heat of magic that boundary between word and thing ruptures. It cracks, and the one flows back into the other, and the two melt together and fuse. Language gets tangled up with the world it describes.

“I sometimes feel as though we’ve stumbled on a flaw in the system, don’t you? A short circuit? A category error? A strange loop? Is it possible that magic is knowledge that would be better off forsworn? Tell me this: Can a man who can cast a spell ever really grow up?”

He paused. No one answered. What the hell would they say? It was a little late to be scolding them now that they’d already completed their magical education.

“I have a little theory that I’d like to air here, if I may. What is it that you think makes you magicians?” More silence. Fogg was well into rhetorical-question territory now anyway. He spoke more softly. “Is it because you are intelligent? Is it because you are brave and good? Is it because you’re special?

“Maybe. Who knows. But I’ll tell you something: I think you’re magicians because you’re unhappy. A magician is strong because he feels pain. He feels the difference between what the world is and what he would make of it. Or what did you think that stuff in your chest was? A magician is strong because he hurts more than others. His wound is his strength.

“Most people carry that pain around inside them their whole lives, until they kill the pain by other means, or until it kills them. But you, my friends, you found another way: a way to use the pain. To burn it as fuel, for light and warmth. You have learned to break the world that has tried to break you.”

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Coca Koala posted:

How much more clearly should the series have stated this, that some people feel like it was left ambiguous?

The series did not hold my interest to the point of book 2, but really, I didn't see the "magicians" as anyone worse than the characters in the standard Ivy League coming of age bullshit stories.

...so I basically read The Magicians as the Wild Cards/Frank Miller version of Harry Potter and then moved on.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Ah. A bad case of the X-Files.

On the other hand, the portion you spoiled was foisted on Schafer by the publisher and disappears after those first two books...

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Drone Jett posted:

Yeah, I wonder if this was really always supposed to end this way, with Hard No Fucks Given Verus snuffing her to deliberately subvert our expectations, or he just couldn't see a way to convincingly reform her and make it reasonable and matter. The HNOFGV solution was consistent with his character development through the series, maybe it just wasn't adroit enough.

One thing I did appreciate in this book was how not everything was solved by Verus' new powerup.

Forged spoilers:

I liked it. Basically, Verus has done everything he's done through being backed into a corner and refusing to give up, but at this point he has more than justified all of the Light Council's hate for him and attempts to kill him, and he's still kinda screwed...which is backed up by the reveal that Alex always was Richard's chosen and can't get away from fate no matter how he weaves it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

That's the hook for the first story, if you like that keep going.

Was coming here to post that.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Anybody else interested in the totally different Urban Fantasy series Benedict Jacka is writing now that Verus is wrapping up?

Interested but it's realistically 18-24 months out so not excited yet.

Jacka blog posted:

If all goes perfectly, I’ll finish the book by the end of the year, about a month after Alex Verus #12 comes out. Though even if I do, the most likely release date is going to be somewhere in late 2022 or early 2023.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Doctor Jeep posted:

Mike/M. R. Carey is a recommendation whatever genre/medium he's working in. I haven't read his Felix Castor series but everything else has been very good.

Yeah, I was about to say to move up Mike Carey (and Harry Connolly) over Paul Cornell (first one was fine but that sequel, whoof).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Ninurta posted:

I am finishing up the second book in L.E. Modesitt's Grand Illusion trilogy

Oh, wow, I've read approximately 1 zillion of Modesitt's books but somehow missed 3 newer ones, so thanks for the headsup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Saltpowered posted:

Speaking of Incryptid, the last few books have been pretty dark. Aftermarket Afterlife spoilers:

Spoiler tag didn’t work for me, but glad to know there’s another in the series I need to pick up.