Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

E: nm

Ika fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I'll remove it, I preordered it so long ago I just was surprised when it showed up today, and planned on catching up on the thread when I finished.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

OneTwentySix posted:

Without spoiling anything, can someone who's read it confirm that it's really good?

Finished half of it so far, and I don't think I'll get any sleep before I'm done with the rest.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Darth Walrus posted:

Anyone else finished The Severed Streets yet? Because whoo, what a ride.

Just got an email saying release has been pushed back to 2015, it was listed as beginning of june when I ordered :(

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I think the hardcover is out here as well, but I ordered the paperback since the release date was a week later and it was less than half the price. Guess someone mixed the dates up in the database. Guess I'll pick it up next time I'm in the UK cause there is no way I'm paying 20 euros for it.

Ika fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 26, 2014

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Fried Chicken posted:

Harry has such a strong anti-authority streak he remains anti-authority even when he has become the authority.

That's almost zen commander

That reminds me of Vimes.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

The guys missing a big pointy red hat that says wizzard on it.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Raygereio posted:

That might have been retconned. In Small Favor it's mentioned Ivy's mother killed herself.

Maybe she didn't do a good job?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

limited posted:

Ditto. I don't mind them too much, expecting how they tend to go. But it's definitely wince-worthy in plenty of places. I'd recommend the Alex Verus books by Benedict Jacka. They can get a bit angsty and drawn out in places, but they're not bad.

Might pick up the first one next time I'm in town, has anyone else read them?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Felix castor is pretty decent.

I also just finished the first alex versa book, and enjoed it (I always want to call him alex versus). His magical abilities are pretty cool and original.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I finished the four alex versa books in about a week, they weren't as over the top awesome as the Dresden files and unlike harry alex can be a pragmatic ruthless bastard, but overall I enjoyed them.

Slightly off topic but while preording the new bobby dollar book I saw the shadowmarch books on sale, are they decent?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Rhymenoserous posted:

The Unseelie Accords are the basis for feudalism I think you mean.

I thought the accords were recentish.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

darth cookie posted:

Why does the publishing industry do anything? On a similar note; why does amazon charge insane shipping costs from the US to Australia, when I can buy the exact same books from thebookdepository (which is OWNED BY AMAZON) and get free shipping, and often a cheaper title price?

Half the time when I order stuff from nongerman amazon due to significant price differences, it is still shipped from the german warehouses, and I am still charged international shipping.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

NinjaDebugger posted:

He pretty much gets this out of the way in the first book. Either 1) The book is locked, or 2) The book isn't widely read enough, so it doesn't have enough power for you to pull X busted-rear end thing out.

Or 3) You pull out a sonic screwdriver and can't figure out how to get it to work.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

probably legal perl.

In other news you can now preorder dresden files #16, for feb 2016 release.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

^^^^^^ its true!

daggerdragon posted:

Provide us a link, man!

Amazon.de here

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I'm most of the way through the book, and I just noticed that (non plot related)when he gets a ride in a car someone mentions how the only CD in the car is a Best of Queens CD, I'm wondering whether that is a callout to Good Omens.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

The thing Is the American publisher has (pseudo)exclusive rights in the US and sets the release dates, the UK publisher does the same for the UK, and in Germany you can buy from both since they are imported anyway.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Weird, over here they send single books in cardboard envelope like things and multiple books include wadded up paper as padding. I still try to avoid them because I prefer buying from companies that pay taxes in my country.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Does anyone have the quote from pratchett on writing YA stories handy? I seem to recall him saying YA is darker. I can't find it.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

That sounds like the plot of a really bad book and not something that would really happen. WTF is wrong with people?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

All I heard about the entire thing before was a comment somewhere saying that books should be nominated base on the quality of the book, and not just because the author fulfills some criteria. Sendng pictures of guns to people seems like there was quite a bit of information missing.

Personally I would prefer the award going to a lesser known author, I think jim butcher has sold enough books to not need the extra attention. (To paraphrase what pterry said about never winning one)

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Deptfordx posted:

According to Stross's blog Pterry bowed out of accepting Hugo nominations after his first one because he had Angina and found the waiting for the announcment at the ceremony so stressful he couldn't face going through it again.

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2015/04/the-biggest-little-sf-publishe.html post 228.

I didn't know that. I just read what Stross had written earlier, and interpreted it that way.

quote:

Terry had not won a Hugo. He didn't need to. (As he said, "I was in the audience at some literary awards ceremony or other with J. K. Rowling one time, and she was lamenting how they'd never give her one, so I turned to her and I said, Jo, me neither: we'll just have to cry ourselves to sleep on top of our mattresses stuffed with £20 notes."

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

ookiimarukochan posted:

For what it's worth a more appropriate address would be 85 Albert Embankment, London SE1 7TP, United Kingdom

Going from the last time I was in London and google maps, is that MI6?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

That reminded me to search for the building whose roof was completely covered in satellite dishes just before vauxhall station: 1 Wyvil Rd, London SW8 2SU, UK

Officially a broadcaster ... yeah...

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Wouldn't you start with the prequel though?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Ramadu posted:

Man I just finished up that 20 Palaces stuff and now I'm sad there aren't more of them. Why would a publisher drop them when they publish so many other terrible books?

because terrible books sell. I really wish that series would continue, I finished it a couple of weeks back and thought it was a quite interesting setting and a decent story.

E: I had the dead tree editions, didn't notice any editing issues.

Ika fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 3, 2016

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Oroborus posted:

Have there been any updates on Peace Talks? I thought it was mentioned it was due to the editor by Jan 1st.

This is taken from his website
"•As of January 2016: Jim is currently writing Peace Talks (#16), so we’re still quite a ways from having a release date."

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Tunicate posted:

Amazon just makes dates up.

Hence why I got an email the other day saying "good news, dresden files is coming out earlier than expected", with a date for September now instead of October.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

One thing I thought of while reading burned (alex verus): The bubble realm sounds a lot like the ways from WOT. I wonder if that was just my interpretation, random chance, or a callout.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

OmniBeer posted:

Ah, see, I was baffled by you loving Owen too, and I think this might be why- in the latest book, he's in it A LOT- the book is pretty much even thirds- and so much of his chapters is just, "What! Banking? ONLINE? What's an internet? drat kids."

Yeah, I read the latest because, I dunno, I probably hate myself, and each individual viewpoint was frustrating in its own unique ways.

I'm reading the latest book now because I got it for cheap and am waiting on other books to arrive, and its fairly tedious... I'd tell myself "I'll stop reading these" but at some point I'll run out of books and see the next one on sale and probably grab it as well.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Who killed sherlock holmes chapter one spoiler: LOL @ "The force has been with you"

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

So, I now finished Who killed Sherlock Holmes. After reading it it seems like its doing a significant amount of setup for whatever is coming next, but it feel like it answered that many questions about the otherarching story.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

mirthdefect posted:

Is it better than the previous one? I really enjoyed the first, but the bullshit with Gaiman really messed with the tone and soured me on the second. Glad to hear about the overarching story stuff though, it certainly has potential there.

I'd say its between the first and the second one, but I put aside a half finished iron druid book when this one arrived so maybe I just didn't have high expectations.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Just got an updated shipping date for peace files. September .... 2017. Hopefully that is just a wildly inaccurate random guess and it will come out earlier.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Stupid nerdy rulemongering libriomancer question: At some point I think it was said there was no need to lock large objects, because they were too big to let libriomancers pull them out of a book. Now that there is at least one person that can use e-readers, what is stopping them from using a stadium screen setup as an e-reader and pulling out spaceships?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Cythereal posted:

It's the first time I've ever gone back and read the series from the start. It's interesting to see how things evolved and potential plot threads like Dresden speculating a MIB/TFV equivalent is around, the as-yet unanswered question of where the FBI agents got the Hexenwulf belts from, and the suggestion that Saint Patrick created the loup-garou. Any of those could be a great hook for a future book.

y only reread so far was a while after ghost story came out, and I went backwards.It was interesting seeing how every book he was just a little bit weaker.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

RockyB posted:

Interesting if rather British concept, our government does have a habit of privatising every single thing it thinks it can get away with. If anyone thinks selling off our defence against eldritch horrors might be going a bit too far, well just look at what happened with QinetiQ / DSTL in the defence sector. Then National Rail, then British Gas, then the recent Post Office fiasco...

Shame about the ~six month wait though.

Isn't most of the six month wait because the book was just about done, brexit happened, and stross said that his entire satire of the british government was much tamer than reality and he had to rewrite it all?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I'm gonna read it this weekend, already lost too much sleep this week due to glass predator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

jivjov posted:

He's living with his fiancee's family. What are they supposed to do, go buy a new house while they wait for construction to finish on the house they already contracted?

Rent an office in a building that may or may not be owned by vampires and laced with C4?

E: Whoops, didn't realize I was so far behind.

So instead, is there any ETA on a fourth shadow police book?

Ika fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 5, 2017