Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

KellHound posted:

I'm going to his Portland Signing/reading. I normally just get audiobooks (already preordered it on audible), so if the store will let me I'm gonna try to get my copy of Wizard At Large signed and not get hardcover copy of Skin Game.

Be sure to buy something, even if it isn't Butcher's book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ika posted:

Just got an email saying release has been pushed back to 2015, it was listed as beginning of june when I ordered :(

Where do you live? Because I've gotten three copes from Amazon so far (they kept sending me damaged copies), so it's definitely out in the US and UK.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I feel like this thread title has been used before...

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

There's really nothing so dull as casting discussions like this.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Illuyankas posted:

Just don't buy more in the series until you finish each one. Also I hope you have a overdeveloped tolerance for lolcat speech.

There's enough in Hearne's work to criticize without blowing something that occupied two whole lines in one book out of proportion.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The Iron Druid series starts out pretty strong, but then craters in the fourth and fifth books. I mean, really craters; they are just bad books. The sixth book is an upturn in quality, and the seventh book seems to be continuing that trend, though I'm not very far in it so Hearne could still gently caress it up. The issue, though, is that Hearne dug himself into such a deep hole, quality-wise, that he's probably going to spend the remainder of the series getting back to the quality of the first two books, and that's assuming he doesn't screw up along the way.

The sad thing is that Hearne is capable of writing good stories with these characters, as demonstrated by the two novellas. I think he just gets lost with the relative freedom of space in novels; he works better when there's no room for him to bother with irritating pop culture references.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ConfusedUs posted:

Goddamnit am I going to have to buy the most recent Iron Druid book? I felt #6 was getting better after the awfulness that was #4 and #5, but not good enough to buy another.

Well like I said, I'm not very far in, but nothing in the first 50 pages has made me cringe. He's even toned down Granuaile's voice, which I thought was purple to the point of being painful to read in the last book.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Illuyankas posted:

Also, potential danger zone: Harry accidentally soulgazes Maggie and that's how she finds out about Susan.

Considering the reaction of nearly everyone else Harry's shared a soulgaze with, it's more likely Maggie would be traumatized by whatever it is people have been seeing since day one.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Poopy Palpy posted:

I'm basically an 8 year old boy.

It's cool, we're the target demographic.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

No one cares but I finally got a hardcover copy of Furies of Calderon so now I have all of Jim's books in hardcover. Plus he's going to be at Dragon*Con again this year, so I can get Furies signed and that'll give me a full signed collection.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

MildShow posted:

Just FYI for anyone looking to get hardback copies of the earlier books without shelling out $100+ or scouring used book stores, Jim just posted the following on his Twitter:

One day some of you plebeians may have a collection that rivals mine.

One day.

"May."

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Just a reminder that the next Sandman Slim book, The Getaway God, comes out at the end of this month :black101:.

And the third Bobby Dollar book, Sleeping Late on Judgement Day, comes out the following week. Let's see how much Williams can torture his character this time!

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Stiletto: A Novel by Daniel O'Malley

quote:

When secret organizations are forced to merge after years of enmity and bloodshed, only one person has the fearsome powers---and the bureaucratic finesse---to get the job done. Facing her greatest challenge yet, Rook Myfanwy Thomas must broker a deal between two bitter adversaries:

The Checquy---the centuries-old covert British organization that protects society from supernatural threats, and...

The Grafters---a centuries-old supernatural threat.

But as bizarre attacks sweep London, threatening to sabotage negotiations, old hatreds flare. Surrounded by spies, only the Rook and two women who absolutely hate each other, can seek out the culprits before they trigger a devastating otherworldly war.

Apparently this comes out in February.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Not a whole lot of new info from the Dragon Con panel. Two interesting things:

"Space stuff" is coming later.
We'll see more of the Greek pantheon, and Hades is the most reasonable of that bunch.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

According to Jim, he has six chapters left to write on the first Cinder Spires book. Once he finishes it and turns the manuscript over to his editor, the publisher will likely announce a release date. So expect to hear news on that front towards the end of next month.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

And the latest Sandman Slim, The Getaway God, came out last week. And the third Bobby Dollar book, Sleeping Late on Judgment Day, also comes out tomorrow. So much urban fantasy!

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I finished The Getaway God yesterday and it was pretty damned good. It wrapped up all the outstanding plot lines and threw in a few hooks in case the publisher wants more (Kadrey's contract was fulfilled with this one).

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It'd be nice if someone was writing a series that was just "noir wizard PI", similar to the early Dresden books. There are a few authors who seem to be trying it (Glen Cook's Garrett PI, Simon R Green's Nightstalker) but somehow the execution never quite comes together.

I think it's because that setup just doesn't work. As soon as the supernatural is introduced, things inevitably start to ramp up because reading about a perfectly static supernatural world is boring. And the more things ramp up, the more the author needs to introduce someone that's "behind it all," so to speak, otherwise they risk wrecking their readers' suspension of disbelief.

A more workable approach would be to start the series much earlier in the protagonist's life so that the author allows more time to muck about with "weaker" antagonists. Aaronovitch is doing a pretty good job of this with his series so far.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ConfusedUs posted:

Three. Although the last one was in a dream.

Death Masks (Susan)
Changes (Mab)
Skin Game (Murphy)

The spoiler really misses the larger implication of that particular scene.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Unofficial urban fantasy thread, I bring you an excerpt from Foxglove Summer.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Speaking of Dresden Files art, I got this bad motherfucker at Dragon Con:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ague Proof posted:

I really like this. Is this a scene from one of the books or is it just some random Denarian?

Just a random Denarian.

Also Dan Dos Santos should be doing the book covers.

Edit: I also got a print of Harry riding Sue from him (Dan), but it's not as baller as the giclee.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 10, 2014

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Azuth0667 posted:

The red king.

No. He took up the mantle of Winter Knight to rescue his daughter. In typical Dresden fashion, he somehow managed to wipe out the Red Court in the process.

Prior to that, though, he arranged to have himself killed in an effort to prevent himself from becoming a monster because he assumed that was inevitable.

Khizan is right, the monster Harry sacrificed himself to stop was himself.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Azuth0667 posted:

Signing on with Mab was sacrificing himself for his daughter and he had to go through the red king to do that hence the great evil. That isn't including him literally attempting to kill himself to avoid the consequences for his actions either.

That's a fine interpretation of events (though flawed, in my opinion), but it doesn't fit with what Wittgen said, which is what started this avenue of discussion.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Don't hold your breath. Jim has said several times that he doesn't particularly like writing short stories because they take as much effort as a novel (for him) with a fraction of the return. He'll probably do enough to round out one more collection and that's it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

MadDogMike posted:

At least this time the White Council is gonna have trouble blaming Harry for THIS war considering he was dead when it started.

Harry created the power vacuum that let the Fomor rise to prominence, so no, it won't be hard for the White Council to blame him :v:.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Azuth0667 posted:

The only inconsistency I can think of is the gruffs from Small Favor and the Fetches from Proven Guilty. The later might have been an exclusion because Molly summoned them in the first place but, the former has some explaining to do.

Didn't the angels only show up after Michael was hurt?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ben Aaronovitch pro-click.

If you're in the US, they will murder you with shipping because they only do air mail.

Another source for signed (not numbered) copies. Goldsboro shipping prices are a little better, but international shipping sucks in general so you're not getting out of this for less than $35 no matter what, assuming you want a signed copy.

Or this, if you just want to read the book and don't care about signatures and all that jazz.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 8, 2014

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Oroborus posted:

Has Jim started the new book yet or is he still working on cinder spires?

Last I heard he was wrapping up the first Cinder Spires book. I expect it'll be out in the spring, after which work on Peace Talks will begin in earnest.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Oroborus posted:

So I guess realistically we're talking 2016?

Yep. I suspect we'll be getting one book from Butcher each year, alternating between Dresden and Cinder Spires.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Blasphemeral posted:

I hope that this isn't true-- and I doubt it is, given his track-record with Alera. He seems to write faster when he has more than one project. He was putting out about two books per year back then, if I'm not mistaken.

Jim can't manage one Dresden book a year anymore; I doubt he will somehow change that plus find the time to write another whole book each year.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

It's 20/21 case files (Jim waffles on the exact number) and the final trilogy. Jim has also stated that each book of the final trilogy will be roughly twice as long as the longest case files, and as such will likely take him twice as long to write.

So yeah, we're looking at 2030 or so for the whole series to be done.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Wade Wilson posted:

To defend the American renaming a bit, I thought that they didn't want the initial book title to be identical to the name of the book series, which is the way books have been published for decades (I'm honestly not thinking of any book series where the first book title is the same as the series title).

Otherland springs immediately to mind, though I guess technically the first book has been renamed to City of Golden Shadow, probably for this very reason.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Grundulum posted:

I think I bought my copy of Otherland not long after the turn of the century, and it is prominently named "Otherland, Volume 1: City of Golden Shadow". When did this change happen?

Edit: I have one more example. David Farland wrote (is writing? I dunno. I stopped reading a long time ago) a series called "The Runelords". Book 1 is called "The Runelords". Published in 1998, so after Otherland.

It may very well have been with the paperback release. I know the first edition hardcover just says Otherland.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Oroborus posted:

If it is 18 months between books that means we're going to be finishing the series around 2027 that is a long way to go.

It'll be longer than that most likely as Jim has said he expects each book of the final trilogy to take twice as long as a case file to write, and the amount of time it's been taking him to write a case file has been slowly creeping up. It's more likely that 2030 (or later) is when we'll see the last book published.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

computer parts posted:

A GRRM must always exist.

Except Jim publishes books on a pretty regular schedule.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Beyond that, Glen Cook started the Garrett series at least six years before Hamilton started the Anita Blake series, and even then she didn't let it devolve to what it became until several books in. So no, the genre clearly did not start as wish fulfillment for the folks that found Harlequin romance novels boring.

Edit: Hell, Hodgson's first Carnacki story was published in 1910. And after that Derleth wrote some Solar Pons stories that involved supernatural things.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 27, 2015

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

By your logic the horror genre didn't get started until the mid-70s when Stephen King started making millions off of each book.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Cool. I'm hoping Hines makes it to DragonCon or does a signing somewhere near me at some point.

I'd take a photo like that for my Dresden books but there are too drat many of them...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ghetto Prince posted:

All I'm saying is that the modern subgenre of urban fantasy was created by Hamilton when she realized that werewolf sex sells books, and that her success influenced publishers and authors.

Except you were provided a number of examples of urban fantasy that predate Hamilton. She may have been the first to see a large financial success with the genre, but she in no way created it.