Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Golbez posted:

Having "grown up" with Lew Rockwell as the god emperor of libertarian thought, since he edits LewRockwell.com and runs the Mises Institute, I occasionally look at LRC to see what's going on with libertarians these days, and holy poo poo is it heavily crazy and racist.

Is Lew Rockwell still relevant in libertarian circles, or can I start ignoring him as a kook?

Lew Rockwell literally created modern libertarianism with a typewriter. I don't think they could get clean of him now, even if they wanted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

quote:

Yes, I do believe that we should not have child labor laws in place. Again, we have to separate ourselves from thinking that it will be our own children.

This is really exceptional, I love moments like this.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

YF19pilot posted:

random person: Obamacare?
libertarian: Everything...

That being said, what's the Libertarianwiki again? I want to dig up some juicy Heinlein quotes since said libertarian actually said "I love Heinlein". Unfortunately I don't keep up enough with which libertarian rear end in a top hat said which utterly racist/sexist/etc. thing.

A $50 increase in my property taxes?! Having your kids taken away and sold pales in comparison.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
ALERT: Your account has been flagged as a risk for chargeback fraud. Per our contract, you will now be dropped off butt naked at the boundary of the DRO.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

HorseLord posted:

It's not just an idiom; It's used to deny that you were, in fact, made by a great deal of people. You were shaped by your parents, your teachers, anyone you've ever thought was cool. Everything you've ever worked on has had input from other people, every single thing, even if you don't realize it or don't want to admit it.

You can be a self-made man:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Goon Danton posted:

I almost choked on my drink laughing when I got to this part.

Goon Danton Silent Risk

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm still bitter about SedanChair blowing the game too early on that one.

You'd have known nothing of the true boyko if it wasn't for me. :colbert:

He even posted after I found his campaign banner. Why am I subject to these libels.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

xwing posted:

I do agree with the video that college is a great thing. Education is a key part of improving a society. I have had plenty of education myself... It however is not a right or mandate. Just because it's a good idea doesn't mean that we should always do it and the least intrusive means of making it happen is the government's job. We can argue over the details, but my default will always tend to be it's not the government's job and we can get things funded without reaching into collective pockets with taxes.

Would you like to give some evidence for this point of view, in the form of even one thing that was ever accomplished by cutting taxes and scaling back the role of government?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Also apparently if one person owned 90% of the wealth in the world xwing's first thought is "how do I curry favor with this overlord" instead of cutting them open and taking out their golden eggs

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

RuanGacho posted:

Just as there is no moral consumption in capitalism, there is no society without costs. If you want to avoid the Original Sin of being in the most advanced society in history you're free to go to Somalia or the UAE.

xwing would love the UAE, it's not quite 90% ownership of wealth by one person, but they'd soon set about figuring out how best to please the emir. Perhaps they could set themselves up as a thriving entrepreneur, arresting raped foreigners and charging them with sodomy.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

xwing posted:

No one is forcing people to go to college. I went to college. I have more than the average debt and a plan to get out of it.

If you broke your back and could not work, how would that affect your plan?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

Does the phrase "no taxation without representation" ring any bells to you? Taxes weren't the problem, being taxes without having any ability to have a say in what or how much is taxed was. You have representation, and the founding fathers would have laughed at you.

Edit: beaten harder than a colonial slave

Not all slaves were beaten :smugdog:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Do you have a problem with taxes or something? Without taxes you would not have had access to a college education. The loans you took out are nothing compared to the federal and state funding universities receive.

Taxes also ensure that you don't die of food poisoning, die from taking over the counter drugs or die by falling through a hole in a suspension bridge. They also pay for the military industrial complex and the private prison system, and continually pour money over bankers to the point where they are at a loss as to how to dispose of it.

Shape the use of tax dollars by participating in political and civic life, xwing. Don't take the easy way out by pouting, and going "taxes are wrong!" Taxes are extant, is what taxes are. And they'll continue to be. So gut up to it like I did, choose work that gives you insight into a system, and gain deep knowledge of how policy and funding affect the delivery of services.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Mr Interweb posted:

xwing seems to be under the impression that people enroll in college and get saddled with tens of thousands of dollars in debt solely for fun.

You don't have to do it. I mean it is a clear advantage that my family's wealth availed me of, but I did it just to do it. You do you.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Grognan posted:

What about abortion is morally corrupt? I'm interested in your stance on this one.

Imagine Neal Peart wrote a song from the perspective of a fetus

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

Wolf Blitzer is a loving awesome name, though.

Wolf. Blitzer!

Edit: this page just got Wolf Blitzered!

:wow:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

xwing posted:

I do believe as I said there's a minefield before college. I just believe that there may be more savings possible by a more pointed method than "free college" for all as a carrot-stick method. For example, have you noticed how few grade school teachers are male, and minority males even more? Granted a case can be made that this is a bit of a chicken-egg scenario, but add what I laid out above with easy loan terms and seeing real role models as teachers that that would make a huge difference if implemented on a wide scale without incurring a larger debt to everyone? Role model programs on small scales have been amazing, let's foster that with scholarships for male teachers (especially minority males) and paying grade school teachers well.

Free college though.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Did xwing already address how plenty of other countries have managed to implement free college? Will that not work in America because we um, *koff koff* because our backgrounds are so diverse?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Abstinence Only! It works till it doesn't!

It ought to work.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

xwing posted:

I'm out for a long weekend you goons can stir in your own juices for a bit. Froth at the mouth over the possibility someone says something you don't agree with...

You froth as well. Froth over the fact that you have allied yourself with white supremacists.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

thrakkorzog posted:

Don't put words in my mouth you motherfucker.

I'm sure that by legalizing racial harmony, nobody's pissed in soup, the corn or potatoes.

Yeah you make those racists angry enough they lash out, huh. Just look at your post for example.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ChipNDip posted:

Sadly, what the progressive left doesn't understand is this tone-deaf attitude like that are what allow Nazis to thrive. You have to be able to reach out to people and redirect their concerns away from xenophobic scapegoats without calling them stupid or evil.

That's impossible, so you might as well enjoy yourself by calling them what they are.

What kind of politeness would have dissuaded the Nazis?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ChipNDip posted:

I don't mean being nice to the actual Nazis you fuckwits, I mean persuading ordinary people who are manipulated by their propaganda.

Yeah. Do you think politeness would have done it?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Is there left wing libertarianism?

Yes! :negative: Yes aaarggghhhhhh :suicide:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Has there ever been a damnatio memoriae as thorough as the excision of anything about anarchism from the mind of the American public

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

Anarchism is bullshit, states are great. Nice ideas for 1800 maybe, useless past 1950.

Your relentless efforts to denigrate anarchism must be the best possible way to both introduce people to anarchism and predispose them to liking it

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Caros posted:

Also in case anyone is wondering I have it on good authority that jrod landed on his feet and has turned his attention to trying to convince hard right Conservatives that the Orlando shooting was an understandable result of US foreign policy and that they should all just become Libertarians.

Godspeed you crazy bastard. I was worried.

:lol: Finally, his tirelessness put to good use!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Infrastructure is important so you can travel to doctors and secure notes proving you were actually sick.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

UrielX posted:

The thing is though, with the EPA and the other federal agencies for example (and we're both on the same page here largely), is they're set up to be broad governing bodies. I don't think they're too effective at micromanaging. Now ICC does come into play with the EPA, for example ND puts a poo poo cloud over SD. That's obviously a conflict that should be resolved at the federal level.

It certainly does get a lot messier with economic policy. One of the reasons I didn't necessarily provide a simple example, is because it's much more nuanced. Usery laws are a good example. Most major banks are consolidated into several places, just like you said. However the problem comes in where states have little to no say as to what they can do to mitigate that. Another example how California wasn't able to say "we don't agree with binding arbitration in consumer contracts", it got struck down federally. Those are the types of things I feel like SHOULD be protected by and decided by the states. At the same time I feel like that in part, would reduce corporate influence in politics somewhat. As some of the major influence would be disbursed. Rather than having a handful of X big companies in several sectors writing the rulebook, you'd have then somewhat confined to a state level. I just feel like there's a big disconnect between the state and federal level at current, with new business creation is essentially homogeneous regardless of where you start out. Essentially taking that same template (as used by my "good" examples) and applying it to how businesses operate and form, it would cause more variation. Because the ICC gets uniformly applied to almost anything related to commerce, it then makes it so that the broad reach also has to attempt to micromanage.

More that many of the federal agencies should exist as a regulatory floor, not all controlling. With all of the power at the top, the need for population subdivisions is essentially insignificant (which it currently more or less is).

I realize saying "limit terms" is an overly simplistic idea. Really most influence comes from money and connections. While term limits wouldn't necessarily limit money, I think legislators might be more apt to act in ways that would curb monetary influence. It wouldn't completely eliminate the connections either. One of the biggest career tracks for former politicians is lobbyists though, because they carry "weight with the party". I think with more politician turnover there's more likely to be fresh ideas that could be tried, some of the things that are passed just make me kind of shake my head. While it wouldn't wholesale stop political corruption, I think it would at least provide the option to move things a little closer to what the population actually wants.

I never said I fully back state's rights. I feel like states should have a bit more say in things, not the right to do whatever. I'm a plain meaning kind of guy, so I think the concept of "equal protections" shouldn't be that hard to grasp. Unfortunately, that's really not the case. I think some really awful things have been done in the name of "state's rights" and that phrase really kind of got usurped by those that weren't proponents of individual liberty.

Republicans who talk a lot are boring. Nobody cares about your stated rationale for cutting regulations and being stingy with social programs

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Drewjitsu posted:

I have a chance to discuss things with Maxime Bernier, Canadian conservative, and self identified libertarian.

Do you guys have any special insight into Canadian libertarianism?

When you talk to him say "I have some questions for you!" and pull out a notebook with "QUESTIONS FOR CANADIAN LIBERTARIANS" written on the cover in magic marker. Then look at the cover, say "poo poo" and pull out a second notebook titled "QUESTIONS FOR TORY DILLHOLES"

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
the ramones sucked

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

VitalSigns posted:

Hinckley was our best time agent and look what happened to him when he thought he could alter the past.

He's fine now

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Libertarians hold different beliefs about things, therefore no libertarians can ever be accused of holding any belief. :downsbravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Maybe comments was always the best medium to argue with jrod in. At least you can get a short answer