Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

SRM posted:

Also this thread has no pictures of anyone's models so I'll just dump a few:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

SRM posted:

Those Mentors are tight. How'd you get that white?

Thanks. I started with a white undercoat, then shaded with thin Shadow grey, tidied up with Space Wolves grey, then mixerd in white until I was doing pure white. All very thin layers. It was a bit of an arseache. I'm actually working on trying to do the same sort of thing with the new paints and it looks like Drakenhoff would shade it okay. I also have an oil paint I want to try due to the lack of clean-up. I'll post up if my results are a success.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Rulebook Heavily posted:

I mean more like there's no rule for "a forest" at all. There's only the Citadel Woods Twisted Copse. If you want to just use some forest or random ruin you own in your game, you officially have to houserule it in. There's no "area terrain", the cover saves are instead listed on each individual Citadel terrain piece.

The only "generic" rule I can see for terrain is for what stuff counts as difficult terrain, but otherwise stuff like Dangerous/Impassable is on a per-Citadel Terrain model basis. There's some "battlefield debris" rules but only for specific things I'm pretty sure are all sold by them too.

This could all be old hat to people but it's a little jarring to me.

Honestly? Honestly it is jarring to you that a company would name specifically it's own products from their range that are designed for a specific role, when talking about that role?

Really?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Daedleh posted:

Disappointing then. They still look as static as the old models...

Never judge a model by a GW photo of it. Certainly not a partial shot in a scan from a WD.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm reading the Imperial Knight FAQ and it's really quite funny. "Ignore all the rules in the book. Except for that one box on the bottom right."

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
No more making GBS threads fire out of it's arse? Good.

Edit: I notice there's no FAQ for Codex: Inquisition there either. Wonder if they couldn't be arsed, or if you're expected to download a fresh version entirely. I don't know how they handle updates to mobi books.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Lord Twisted posted:

That Knights FAQ... I would be loving passed off if I bought the Knights book

Yeah, I'm really not overly impressed to have bought a book and then a few weeks later read an FAQ that says "everything bar the optional Knightly Ranks rule? Tear it out."

I'm still happy with the book as a fluff piece because genuinely new fluff in 40k was really nice. But yeah, if I were more into gaming than collecting I'd be spitting feathers.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
40k is, was, and probably always will be a d6 based game. Random bullshit has always been a thing. This poo poo is checkers, it's never been chess.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm aware you're in a group where the cards are preferred, which is unfortunate for you, but it is still only a problem* with that version of the game. The old style is available, and your group should be willing to play how you want at least some of the time. Otherwise the problem is less with the game and more with your friends.

*For the people who don't like it.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Lord Of Texas posted:

I do not understand this position at all. There is nothing wrong with home-brewing of course, but the onus to deliver an enjoyable experience falls first on the game designers (you know, the people that have your money), not the players. Reliance on home-brews and selective use of rules to make the game enjoyable splinters and damages the community at large.

Where did I say anything about home-brewing? My whole point was that the missions he prefers are still available to play in the Eternal War set, and to stop playing because you don't like one of two optional mission systems is a little bit of an overreaction.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Tuxedo Jack posted:

The problem is, my local 40k group has embraced the cards wholeheartedly, and are no longer interested in the Eternal War missions. So what are my options?

"Hi, I don't like those card missions, would you mind playing the old ones for this game?" Surely they're not all pricks?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm choosing to believe that the last couple of pages of "you know who I'm better at writing rules than? Jervis Johnson, gently caress that guy" have been quotes from other forums.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm sorry, but I have absolutely zero faith in the ability of some idealised pan-forum Council of the Spergers to produce a workable, streamlined, fun revision for 40k. Even less so that it would gain any sort of acceptance within the community.
Furthermore I think it is, frankly, stupid to be proposing it as a reaction to a new set of rules that has been available for all of five days.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah I feel the same. Apart from assault being wonky, it was by far and away the best edition they've released.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Plus there are always people who quit, or say they are going to quit, when a new edition is released.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Might be that they wait a month or two to force people into buying the big book, which is how they traditionally handle new starters. So it would sort of make sense in a GW'ey way.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

NTRabbit posted:

I'm told there are still 200 limited edition rulebooks unsold, and they aren't doing well on ebay either

On the other hand, they have sold 1800 of them in six days. So it's relative.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

PeterWeller posted:

What were those old scifi toys with all the magnets called? They also had a ton of poo poo that would fold up and pack away inside other poo poo.

Your mum.

(Starcom.)

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Or take a Knight.

I love that drop pods are perfect for their fluff role now.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
If I had more time, and didn't have to paint a Knight and a Stormtalon, I would totally go with a pod themed army for my next campaign weekend.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
They will most likely come next week.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That's the problem with everyone deciding they can make the rules better than the professionals. Mostly it just ends up as self-serving/irrational twattery.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Saalkin posted:

"professionals"

I don't know if you noticed, but this is no longer a free-poo poo zone.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
If you can, I'd look for another group. One that isn't made up of dicks.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Have any of you bothered to buy the Strike Force Ultra dataslate?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The Strike Force Ultra dataslate is not too bad.

Hammerfall formation:
Terminator captain
Five-man* Terminator squad
Five-man* Assault Terminator squad
Land Raider Crusader/Redeemer

Terminator Assault squad and Captain have to deploy in the Raider and get Hammer of Wrath when disembarking. Tactical Terminators deploy via Deepstrike and may run and fire on arrival.

Skyspear formation:
Five-man* Terminator squad
Five-man* Assault Terminator squad
Venerable dreadnought
Stormraven

The dread and Terminator Assault squad deploy in the Stormraven, again gaining Hammer of Wrath when they disembark. The other squad arrives by Deepstrike, again able to run and fire.

Strike Force Ultra:
The above combined with the addition that while the Captain is still breathing you can roll for any of the reserves on turn one.

*Fixed squad size.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

twistedmentat posted:

Hate how the only way to get that Terminator captain is to get that battleforce.

There is a webstore only one, but he's not nearly as nice as the new one, and I'm suspicious of him only being 21bux.

As far as I'm aware they haven't said he's limited edition or exclusive, so I'd expect to see it available on it's own, or a variant of it, shortly.

Edit: Also, that Knight has his blast shield on upside down. And the highlighting is poo poo.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I think that's definitely meant to be the Totenkopf skull.

JerryLee posted:

I know you're a pretty GW-positive person in these threads, relatively speaking anyway, so I'm not surprised, but you have much more faith in them than me if you think that adding the ability back in via charging $6 for the rules of a "Tyrannic War Vanguard Veterans" or some poo poo is something they would not do.

That's not to say they will do it, the roulette wheel at GW HQ might never land that way, but if they do get the bug in their ear to do it, I don't see what about their recent actions would give you the idea that any sort of logical consistency or game design principles will be a barrier to them doing it.

Have you considered that perhaps you're too GW-negative?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The White Schutzstaffelcars.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
They sell at 30% off because they rely on driving sales through a discount that returns them a razor thin margin. It's an unsustainable business model that will, eventually, send them bust. They don't seem to hold stock and my guess is they use money from one order to buy the next.
I waited seven or eight weeks for my delivery of a Wraithknight and some Tau stuff from one of their 30% off pre-order sales. They fobbed me off with excuses repeatedly, eventually just sending a blank email consisting of greeting and signature. They only delivered after I threatened to report them to my credit card company as fraudsters and complain to Trading Standards.

If time isn't an issue then you probably will get your stuff eventually, but if you don't want to wait weeks I would advise you to pay the extra 5% and go with somewhere like elementgames.co.uk who do actually carry stock and will ship sharpish.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
If there's even a hint of truth to GW closing their trade account you need to get your money back tomorrow, not in a fortnight. There's a very good chance the company wont be there in a fortnight.

I would start the process first thing in the morning if I were you. For future reference, if you have a UK credit card, always use the credit card for orders over £100 because you gain statutory Section 75 refund protection. Meaning if you have problems with the product or vendor, your CC has to refund you and takes responsibility for pursuing the money from the vendor themselves.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 2, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
You'd be better complaining about how poo poo the law is where you are when it comes to what companies are allowed to put in their retail agreements. GW don't get to do any of the poo poo with bits sellers, online checkouts, official images for advertising etc in the EU.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Plastics take paint far better than metals, that combined with the negligible weight, the fact that mould lines can be rectified, the ease of attaching them a base, and the added durability all make me like plastics infinitely more than metals.

When Finecast was announced I was so very happy because I thought metal was dead. It's a testament to how terribly that turned out that even today I keep an eye out on Ebay for a metal Thunderfire cannon instead of buying a FC one.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Fix posted:

That they continue to put ten pages of model shots between the section that tells you what things cost and the section that tells you what things do is the dumbest thing in the world. Stick it after the fluff and just do rules for god's sake.

Yeah, I hate this nonsense. For fifth they had it a lot more streamlined as I recall, then went back to the old idiotic method with sixth.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Lord Twisted posted:

Employee : 'cool you seem to have made awesome light up smoke effects! And you have an awesomely painted army!'

Me: thanks man I appreciate it. Doing alright so far, got a few objectives and-

Employee : 'what's this? *points at Mantic thunderfire, painted with a GW tech marine accompanying it*

Me: 'oh it's a scratch build'

Then stare at them.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
According to fluff they fire multiple types of ammo, with and without casings. So ejection ports would be necessary even when caseless is the main ammo.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

HiveCommander posted:

GW is releasing the models first because nobody will buy them once they have the codex in hand to see how bad the new units are. I really hope this backfires on them, with nobody buying the new kits until the codex drops, and nobody buying the new models (like Flashgits that are still going to be horrendously outclassed by Lootas unless Lootas have a huuge, huge nerf). It might teach GW that most people buy models based on their rules, which hopefully means they clean up their act and start writing better rules for stuff that isn't a 'good guy faction'.

This is getting really loving old now. As if the constant stream of reflexive negativity wasn't tedious enough, now we're whining about poo poo that GW hasn't even done yet? You are imagining things to be arsey about. gently caress a Christ.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

NTRabbit posted:

The only hard plastic GW I have are Eldar, and they're honestly not anything to write home about

You do know that those are, for the most part, donkeys years old yeah? Plastic Guardians and most of their vehicles were released 16 or more years ago.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

NTRabbit posted:

I know they're old, which is why I'm more inclined to say that GWs quality varies amonst its catalogue as much as any other company. There seem to be a lot of other companies, albeit smaller ones with smaller catalogues, that match or exceed them in quality with individual minis. A bit disingenuous to continue to insist they make the best when it's not really the case anymore.

Please feel free to show examples of plastic wargame miniatures made to a better standard than GW ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That's pretty funny. Salvatore makes Nick Kyme look like Shakespeare.

• Locked thread