Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
Hello new thread.

My playgroup is starting to swing back around to 40k from Fantasy, but they're all pretty jaded about this early release cycle. I think this is the first edition change (40k or Fantasy) that nobody is picking it up on release day. Definitely waiting to see if it's worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

ghetto wormhole posted:

Also I did this because I hate myself and everyone around me, but I especially hate money: :vomarine:

You are my new hero.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Pyrolocutus posted:

It was only a matter of time before GW picked up on what the textbook industry has been up to for a while.

Playgroup preferences in Texas are going to be used to decide what the rulebooks contain for everyone else?

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Drythe posted:

Oh it's new edition time already? I guess I better start looking at the silly things I can do.

Like continue to play this terrible hobby with the rest of us?

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Alright, guys-- what dollar value do we want to play our games at tonight? I'm thinking $800 games will take too long, and we might not finish. How does $500 sound tonight? If we play fast, we could even get two $500 games in!

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

I will use my safeword the moment a Drop Pod lands next to my Leman Russ tanks.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

I modelled him, but I didn't have time to paint him until this afternoon. So, rather than in the last thread, you guys get him here:

:vomarine:

e: edited for better pic

Tadhg fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 24, 2014

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Jesus Christ, I need a good camera.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

I took a stab at it with gimp, and this is much closer to what he looks like in person:

JerryLee posted:

Make an army, counting them as 30k death guard with chem-munitions or rad grenades or something

He's actually the first of many. I made a mold of the vomit bit, and have at least a minimum allied contingent planned. :v:

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Rulebook Heavily posted:

So the terrain rules.

They sure reference Citadel Terrain a lot, huh.

And scratch-built terrain gets a special section.

Yes, kitbashing from extant terrain pieces is scratch-building. And there are no rules for "generic" terrain pieces that I can spot (aside from craters and ruins I guess?), it's all Citadel.

Wood Elves, who's abilities rely on them having forests on the table, used to get a free 6" diameter forest to place on the table before deployment (in addition to whatever else is on the table.)

With the new book, they now get a free "Citadel Wood" to place on the table. Subtle.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

ijyt posted:

I'd love to hear the reasoning for some of the changes in 7th.

Because, "gently caress you." That's why.

Realpost, the cynical side of me thinks that most of these changes are just meeting a corporate mandated minimum quota of changes to justify the new edition. Psychic phase aside, there doesn't seem to be anything groundbreaking or inspired here (and the psychic phase really does feel like a poor imitation of Fantasy's magic.)

I deal with underclassmen college students a lot, and this really does feel like finding a wikipedia copy/paste in a paper with a bunch of random changes made in order to make it look like original work.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Shadeoses posted:

Does anyone have that awesome Vomit Marine diorama image? It has the detachable stream with an intact fish skeleton, you know the one.

That was Sole Sushi's vomarine. I have it saved somewhere, and can post it tomorrow when I have access to my computer again.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Somebody requested these last night, so here they are.

Sole Sushi's vomarine:

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Cool tables and Orks reminds me: there was a kickstarter for a modular plastic wargaming table with a gorkamorka vibe. I didn't have any money I could afford to put towards it at the time, and ended up forgetting about it. Does anybody know if that project worked out?

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Daedleh posted:

Was it Tablescapes by Secret Weapon? They're late delivering, but still seem to be on track to do so.

That's the project, yup! Still not commercially available, it looks like, which makes me sad. The scrapyard board is exactly what I want for my Orks to play on.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Did you just skip the last few pages of the thread to post that?

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Squifferific posted:

a Proper Test of Gentlemanly Space Generalship

I now have a title for my tuxedos, scotch, and cigars warhams event that I'll continue dreaming about and never actually run. :allears:

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

That kind of personal grooming is way beyond most wargamers.

I'm thankful when people at the store have managed to apply soap, deodorant, and clean clothes.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

I'm incredibly thankful that cargo pants/shorts have replaced sweatpants as the foundation garment of gamers these days. I quit a game once because an older fatbeard was clearly "excited" for some reason, and sweatpants did gently caress-all to conceal that fact. Hasn't been a problem with the newer cargo people.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Hollismason posted:

Anyone else see that GW reversed the whole Heldrake has 360 degree thing back to having Hull Mounted. Lotta tears over that one. Also I like that they gave Orks a FAQ even though their book is out in a few weeks. Sisters got nothing though .

Oh and Space Wolves apparently lost all of their Psychic Powers.

Dude, already been posted today. Like, a page or two before the last time you did this.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Wait, Goonhammer might actually become a project now?

I am both excited and terrified.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

TheChirurgeon posted:

Thanks for the offer but you're too late--they've already been assembled and placed. Now I just need to figure out how to get the loving Multi-melta to stay on.

I picked up that same kit secondhand, and the previous owner had glued a stack of 5 or so dimes underneath the gunner to weigh it down. Works just fine for me.

The sponsons weren't assembled very well, though, and I had to break them apart and redo them myself. :negative:

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Fix posted:

Sooooo… the Stronghold Assault FAQ tells us to ignore the rules on the page where points costs and limitations are put on battlement and battlefield upgrades. Now what?

That, pretty much. Go hog wild!

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

xtothez posted:

According to Dakka, they have been ordering GW stock from Wayland direct to the customer's address.

Wait, this... how is this... how do they... why... huh? :psyboom:

That's the absolute worst business model I've ever heard of for a gaming store. And worst gaming store is one hell of a shitheap to be king of.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

HiveCommander posted:

That's literally how we get our 'Psycannon' options on vehicles, because none of them have it as an upgrade. Funnily enough, the FW Psyback in IA2 2nd ed is 10 points more than the one we can Mcguyver out of our 5th ed codex :v:

loving hell, this just resonated with me. The loving GREY KNIGHTS codex is two editions old now.

This game used to move a hell of a lot more slowly.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Von Humboldt posted:

not in pewter

I've never understood this. I mean, yeah, there are some notoriously lovely and/or goofy metal sculpts out there that should only see the light of day in a "remember these pieces of poo poo?" post every so often. But there are a ton of great all-metal lines, such as the Vostroyans or the (mostly metal) Woods Elves, that I absolutely love. A nice metal model feels solid when painting and playing, and live a hell of a lot longer.

The new plastic kits are amazing in terms of detail and ease of assembly, yes. But I also always feel like they're lacking something. I always seek out a metal version of a model whenever possible.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Look at this guy who wants his kids to have juice every week. :rolleyes:

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Raphus C posted:

Pin every metal bit.

I pin the plastic arms to my Stormboyz because I dropped a few and watched them explode. Luckily for me there were not painted. Never again!

I love to convert so metal sucks for me. Too much time filling and messing about with too much pressure and sharp knives. Metal is good to teach you how not to handle sharp instruments when converting though. I have bits of me that will never grow back thanks to pewter.

Just get a 1mm drill and some paperclips. poo poo, I don't need glue for some of my models (yet).

I'm working on a conversion in metal for a centerpiece type unit in my Wood Elves army. A flying metal model, no less. So lots of drilling, lots of pinning, and clamping joints together so that they can be bonded with JB Weld (to survive any falls that the model will likely encounter.)

Working with the metal just feels cooler and more permanent than plastic bits. Maybe it's because I grew up with metal models, but I definitely perceive them as the "better" models. I think that starting WHFB with the Battle Masters game (collaboration between Games Workshop and Milton Bradley) and then progressing to actual metal warhams is a contributing factor there.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

SRM posted:

Battle Masters rules. I've had designs to paint the set at my parents' place for years, but I'll probably never ever get to it.

I've combined the Empire portion of my old set and part of a friend's old set that he gave me. Together it actually makes a very basic but solid 1500 point WHFB Empire force to use as the House/Loaner army for our game nights.

But, yeah. I have some serious nostalgia about that game, but the models are far from the best offerings of the time. It got me into the hobby, though, along with the free trial White Dwarf subscription that came with the game. The difference between the first metal Elf models I bought at the game store and the plastic Battle Masters models were night and day.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

That poster on the wall makes for a cool backdrop for in-game photos. I need to remember something like that when I get to set up a more dedicated game room.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Cooked Auto posted:

So I've been a very bad/hypocritical person and bought these two off ebay for my IG army as Inquisitor and Commander/Commissar.

On the plus side I don't have to paint them as my younger brother who is back home over the summer really wanted to paint both of them because he thought they were kinda cool and he's a much more competent painter than me.
But we have agreed there will be some green stuffing on the Commissar at least to deal with the shirt issue. And probably swap out the gun too.
Slight pity that only the lead ones were available.

Your obsession with female guard models, particularly in cheesecake-y ones to lead your army, is both creepy and sad. Congratulations on being another example of that warhammer guy.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Slimnoid posted:

Did you even see how he went on about NOT wanting cheesecake female guard models a page or two ago or what.

Yeah, I saw that he did. And then he posted the burlesque/saloon dancer model he bought for his inquisitor.
http://i.imgur.com/rCW9pxS.jpg

I get that it's sexist for GW to not include females in what should be a mixed-sex human wave army. But the people who set out to correct that in their armies by specifically including females as the centerpiece figures (Lord Commisar and Inquisitor) usually end up being creepy about it.

I saw him making a big deal about getting :stare: female guard models :stare: and that raised a red flag. But he made a big deal about wanting to avoid exploitative models, and so whatever, I gave him the benefit of the doubt and didn't say anything.

Then he showed us on the internet his purchase. And while it's not the worst that it could have been, it's still creepy. This hobby is full of creepy people and creepy poo poo, and that stuff should be called out when it appears.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Squifferific posted:

I think there's a difference between "Hey, which female models can I get that actually look like real people?" and "Check out how awesome I am at painting 28mm scale nipples and vaginas."

He did make a big deal about getting models that look like real people, yes. That was good, and made his focus on female models at least come across as a social justice equality thing. Because, as BWS said above, anybody who makes a big deal about obtaining female models is usually ends up being big creep. He got feedback from goons, links to Victoria Lamb stuff, and recommendations on how to resculpt some of the chaff that's out there to make it less exploitative.

Then he showed us one of his purchases:

I have doubts as to how much fixing up he can do with this model. While it's not "nipples and vag" bad, and is actually pretty tame in terms of the kind of poo poo that's been around in female miniatures, it's a massive departure from what he was saying he was trying to achieve. When he's already been posting about a borderline creepy thing and trying to look good while doing it, that loses him all of his good-faith points. It's not Doc Thunder or rape diorama poo poo, but it is now "Look at my female-led army! Isn't she sexy?" bad.

Cooked Auto posted:

Welp, guess I shot myself in the foot there I guess. v:v:v Not much else I can say about that without making it sound worse really so I'm just gonna leave it that.
All I really wanted was to have a decent mixed gender non-cheesecake regiment pretty much but I guess I got too insistent about it.

I do apologize if I'm misjudging your intent. Your stated goal is fine, but does put you into weird company as pretty much everyone I've seen who care about adding female minis to their army gives off a weird vibe. The commissar model, even though she's giving off a mild dominatrix kind of feel, could be overlooked if fixed up. But that other model is a far cry from the "tasteful hint of female presence" that you professed. And as your centerpiece HQ model, you've chosen to have your army led by a sex-kitten. If that's what you want, fine; they're your models. But your search for female guard models has now been cast into a different light because of it.

e: That said, I've called you out on it, and I'm not trying to turn this into helldump or anything. I did feel it worth making a point over. I think that I've done that clearly now, and I'll leave the calling you out personally at that.

Tadhg fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 8, 2014

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Half of my gaming group are women, one of whom is my significant other. And when we have game nights, the other female friends of our group (girlfriends/wives of players, or just nongaming friends) often hang out with us and socialize around the games going on, even if they're not participating. We pretty much play primarily at my home, or sometimes at the homes of somebody in our group. We've tried gaming at the numerous FLGSs in my area, but we only do that rarely these days. Why?

Because the entire gaming milieu has a longstanding tradition of objectifying, exploiting, and generally being creepy towards women. Wargames, Magic the Gathering, D&D and other tabletop gaming; almost all of it is or has been misogynistic in some way or another. And that's just the material content-- the players themselves are even worse. It's been getting better in the past decade or so, but gaming as a whole still has a long way to go in remedying its very firmly entrenched misogyny.

We know that GW doesn't have many female models, and those that it does have are sometimes pretty bad. Even the females in the standard lines of Wood Elf, Dark Eldar, Sisters of Battle, etc. have exaggerated sexual characteristics that perpetuate the exploitative images of fantasy women. We all still choose to play warhams (and D&D, et al.) because it's a fun hobby, but our eyes are open to the bad aspects of it. We do our best to minimize the terrible parts of the hobby so that we can enjoy the good. One player has a Sisters of Battle army-- she enjoys the idea of them, but criticizes the tit armor when it comes up; she uses them because they don't come any other way. The Elf players all have (standard) female models in their armies, and we know that the female Wardancers are scantily clad stripper elves; they aren't easily replaceable, and the WE players (myself included) don't go out of our way to emphasize the sexual aspects of those models. We play our games with the admittedly imperfect model lines on offer, acknowledge the problems and try to de-emphasize them after addressing them, and then get on with socializing with our hobby. In doing so we're creating a welcoming environment around what is traditionally a male-dominated hobby, and our group is healthy for it. We have a pretty even ratio of M:F players, and the women in our group feel that they're in a safe place where they can enjoy and participate the hobby in the same way as the men.

When we leave the house and go to gaming store, though? Forget about it. :vomarine: One FLGS carries some pretty terrible third party R and X rated minis (entirely female oriented) in addition to the assorted standard lines; that's a clear choice made by the owner, and it sells pretty well at that. There is one specific local guy with the stereotypical dildos and rape themed Slaanesh army. There's another guy with a High Elf army that has been converted to be entirely female models with greenstuff boobs, and he has a really creepy vibe when talking about his cherished Everqueen. There's a D&D/Pathfinder guy who's infamous for only playing female characters, and every so often will seek out a commission job on a sexy mini to represent his newest character. And then there are the standard neckbeardy and smelly gamers who have the standard terrible views on women that we've all come to expect from the trolls who's entire lives are spent at the gaming store. The women in our group have never had a positive gaming experience at the FLGSs because there is ALWAYS some creeper who will be odious enough to not just be a bad memory, but end up ruining the trip. And even shopping at the stores are crapshoot. The workers at our preferred FLGS are cool and treat our female friends like ordinary people, and because of that they get our ongoing business. The other gaming stores have had some pretty vile workers (and one creepy owner) that make the shopping experience there universally unpleasant, and sometimes downright insulting. But at any store in our area, one patron during the trip will invariably do their best to either:
1) attempt to awkwardly show off and impress the females in our group,
2) insult and belittle them, letting them know that they're not welcome.
There's very little middle ground, and either situation makes even shopping for minis or other gaming materials an uncomfortable experience for them. They'll rarely go to the store by themselves because of that. Intead, they wait until we go as a big group right before a gaming session, or else they give cash to a male in the group who's going to be stopping by and have him shop in proxy.

It sucks that when half my friends go to the gaming store they have to either put up with extra crap in the hobby, or turn every trip into an exercise in fighting back and/or (ususally unsuccessfully) educating misogynistic gaming trolls in why what they're doing is uncool.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

koreban posted:

Okay, so by your own admission you have some players in your group that use some of the clearly misogyny-intended models because that's how they come, and yet the person/group can accept that's how the models are and no one gets creepy about it. How is it any different if Cooked Auto decides to use a model that fits the established aesthetics as long as he's cool about it and doesn't get all creepy?

This:

And this:

While not perfect, are not nearly as blatantly sexualized as this:

Dark Elves and Dark Eldar probably have worse examples, but we give that player a lot more poo poo for his sexy drow models than the other players.

Also, putting an intentionally sexy female third party model in the place of a non-sexualized model seems like a different beast entirely. Doubly so after a long discussion about how to avoid models exactly like the one he picked.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

I'm probably coming across as more harsh and militant than I intend to, and I'm not looking to alienate people in here. Points have been made, cool non-boob models have been posted. Yay, warhams.

:cheers:

e: Top of page Discount Bees throwback picture!

Tadhg fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 9, 2014

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

CyberLord XP posted:

When a Trukk exploded it only did Str 3 hits on passengers as well which was pretty sweet.

That's what all open-topped transports do (did?), though.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

A sister of one of my friends had a deadbeat boyfriend move out and leave some of his poo poo behind that she was trying to unload on people before tossing it into the curb. My name got recommended as a recipient of the warhams that were left in her closet. Now I am richer by one (old) Tyranid Battleforce in box, and one small Eldar army.

I've only played against Eldar once or twice in my life, and have never collected the models before this year. I had picked up a metal Seer Council from consignment at my FLGS because they were cool models and were cheap, but they've been sitting in a box since last winter.

There's a lot of metal, which makes me happy. I have no idea what most of this is, and have even less idea about what I can do with it. Help me, please! What do I have? What can I do with it? And most importantly, what awesome Eldar colors should I paint them?

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Nice, thanks y'all. I don't play much 40k these days, but this was a cool surprise from my friend. I'm going to make some repairs and give them a try on beerhammer night for a change of pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Against all better judgements, I dusted off my space barbies this weekend and played my first game since... I dunno, summertime? Felt good to drink beer and roll stupid amounts of dice with friends; probably going to become a regular thing again.

What's the state of things these days? Is 7th edition actually worth picking up? How much is my Land Raider retirement fund worth now?

• Locked thread