Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

JerryLee posted:

Oh, huh, so it's now standard that the "sergeant" in the unit is a wolf guard pack leader, rather than that being a special wolf guard rule?

Yeah, but the unit doesn't come with one by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

Defilers are awesome. I played a Black Legion vs. Necrons game recently and the Defiler instant killed a ton of Wraiths and Scarab swarms. It then proceeded to punch 3 Spyders to death as well. That one Defiler basically controlled all of my friend's canoptek units.

Also, The Eye of Night (Black Legion artifact) is hilarious. My friend always deploys 2 Annihilation Barges right next to each other and all my rolls using it came up perfect. It wrecked both barges right there in turn 1 before my friend even got to fire their guns.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Black legion player here also, the eye of night is amazing anti tank. Hell I think the BL supplement in general is underated.

:hfive: I agree, the supplement is way better and cooler than people give it credit for.

But yeah, it was a hilarious moment (for me) when The Eye of Night went off. Killing 2 obnoxious skimmers and giving me first blood was well worth the 75 points. My friend threw an outrageous poo poo fit about it. That match was the first time his Necrons had lost since 2012 and boy it felt gooood.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's reasonably cool but I definitely felt cheated after I bought it. There's like two pages of rules material.

That's understandable. Though I think people feel this way because it was the first supplement and folks just assumed supplements were going to be something they aren't. At least I think it was the first one...can't remember for sure.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's got nothing to do with expecting it to be something it isn't. It was 50 loving dollars.

Fair enough. I'm just saying it didn't have that effect on me. For the 40 bucks I paid, I was happy with what I got. Then again, I'm one of those people who reads all the lore and tries out all the custom missions and what not. Sentinels of Terra was the one that rubbed me the wrong way.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

That Night Lords contemptor looks rad as gently caress and will easily work in 40k. I'm not a fan of the modeled caution stripes on the Iron Warriors contemptor. I get the appeal, but it's just much more satisfying to paint the stripes (also, it looks better).

I like when that stuff is modeled on because I'm A Bad Painter.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

panascope posted:

I put out a request for quote to a guy advertising on craigslist to paint a couple models for me and the samples he sent me were so bad I couldn't fathom who was actually paying him for them. The ad contained a line that went something like, "make all your friends jealous with these superbly painted models," which was just comical given the quality. I ended up telling him my wife said no, which she did once she saw his poo poo was worse than mine.

Post the pictures!

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

Soulfucker posted:

It would be the best spin-off thread possible.

Hell, I'll dig up some old goodies:

To be fair, that terribly painted Daemon Prince is actually kinda terrifying.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

The wording of the codex allows you to take a plasma gun on the Chosen Champion, so you can take little 5-man plasma hit squads. They're pretty sweet.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

What do you guys think about this strange 750 Tyranids list I've created?

HQ
Old One Eye

Elites
1x Zoanthrope
1x Zoanthrope
1x Venomthrope

Troops
10x Termagants w/ 6 Devourers, 4 Fleshborers
10x Termagants w/ 5 Devourers, 5 Fleshborers
10x Termagants w/ 5 Devourers, 5 Fleshborers

Fast Attack
Hive Crone w/ Regeneration, Cluster Spines

749 points

OOE is sharing his ld8 with all the gants, and it's all pretty self explanatory.

DO IT TO IT fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 13, 2014

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

Not to speculate too wildly or anything, but that tentacle creature (which I actually like, especially in that 2nd pic) is standing on a dead Blood Angel. Perhaps they really are coming up in the next month or so.

e: Don't like the psychic creature at all. It's not a great pic, but I can't even really tell what I'm looking at. It just looks like an Exocrine sans cannon.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

Dump_Stat posted:

I've been away from the thread for a few weeks. We're getting two 'Nid codexes in the same year?

If so, I feel sorry for all you guys who bought the last one.

I highly doubt it.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

Awesome, got their last box of Death Company for 19 bucks. Hope they don't suck in the new book!

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

koreban posted:

Got a link? I'm on mobile and their site is poo poo on mobile for finding that particular special.

It's an email order form that you have to request from them if you aren't on the mailing list.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

TKIY posted:

Venomthropes and Zoanthropes are missing from the GW webstore. Dual kit or maybe a triple kit incoming?

I certainly hope so. I've waited for plastics of Zoanthropes, Venomthropes, and also Lictors for so long.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I don't know if it applies to FW but GW doesn't ask for proof of purchase for instructions. A friend of mine gave me the Sentinel from his guard battle force and I just emailed GW saying I needed instructions and they sent me a PDF right away.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I kinda hope the neuro is an HQ choice so there are more good hq's to choose from than just the flyrant.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I think it's sad and a little funny that we lost troops assault marines, but they put an assault marine on the cover of the new codex.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I was hoping for something themed more after Dante and the Sanguinary Guard. Maybe that's not 1st company though, I don't know.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Next week on White Dwarf:

Angels fury spearhead force

Formation:
3 tactical squads
3 stormraven gunships

Restrictions:
Each stormraven gunship must include10 models. The sergeant of each tactical squad in this formation must take a teleport homer as a free upgrade. This formations tactical squads cannot take dedicated transports and must begin the game embarked in the stormraven gunships from this formation.

Special rules:

Augur triangulation:
If a friendly unit with the Blood angels faction arrives from deep strike reserve within 12" of at least two models from the formation equipped with teleport homers then it does not scatter and can charge in the same turn it arrives.

Objective secured:
All troops units from this formation have the objective secured special rule (see page blah blah)

Spearhead strike force:
When making reserve rolls make a single roll for the entire formation, which you can choose to re-reoll. If successful, all units arrive from the formation.You can make a reserve roll for this formation from the start of turn 1.

Preeeetty sweet, but that's like 1050 points base.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

People are saying this is one of the new BA formations in that book:

Dakka posted:

archangles sanguine wing:
2 veteran vanguards[must have packs]
1 sternguard
1 storm raven

you roll once for the whole formation to come in. it can be rerolled either way.

the VV's get either a lightning claw or power weapon for free on every member!!!!
the stern guard get either a storm bolter or combi weapon free on every member

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

Stanyer89 posted:

Do these people have picture proof or just words?

Sadly nope. Just those Necron pics posted above so far.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

So, someone with the Exterminatus book: In the Archangels Sanguine Wing formation, does everyone get free power weapons/combi-weapons or is it just the sergeants?

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I thought it was 3 units of each, not 4. But yeah, that's a really cool formation.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

AbusePuppy posted:

Is that only on an 8 on charge distance, or 8 or more? I'm guessing the former, but hoping the latter.

Looks like it's 8 exactly.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

Got the new BA tactical squad as a gift, it's a really nice kit. Only came with 9 32mm bases though, so I'll have to email GW about that.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

So GW is sending me some 32mm bases because 1 was missing from my new BA tac squad kit, pretty nice. I think I'll put these old unpainted death company I have sitting here on the extras. What would be a good way to remove them from their old 25mm bases? They're superglued, so at least it's not plastic glue.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

What do you guys think of this for a general Blood Angels 750 list? I wasn't really sure what to do at this lower points amount (and I'm not super experienced in BA) so I didn't get too creative. I have a 750 game or 2 coming up and my opponent will likely be Necrons, Eldar, or Tau.

Baal Strike Force Detachment

HQ
Librarian - ML2, Force Stave, The Angel's Wing, The Veritas Vitae

Elites
5-man Death Company Squad - 1 Power Fist, Jump Packs

Troops
5-man Tactical Squad - Heavy Flamer, Rhino
5-man Tactical Squad - Heavy Flamer, Rhino

FA
5-man Assault Squad - 2 Meltaguns

HS
Predator - Autocannon turret, Lascannon sponsons, Overcharged Engines

The Librarian would be attached to the Death Company and they'd be deep striking. I was thinking I'd stick him with Divination.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

at least it's not yet more nurgle

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

Are Melta Bombs on sergeants worth it? I have 15 pts to spare in a 750 BA for this weekend. Figured I would either give 3 sgts melta bombs or my librarian the extra strategic trait relic.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

Lord Twisted posted:

Always useful. Being able to nail a Walker or vehicle in a pinch is great.

That does sound better than an extra strategic trait that would likely end up useless.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I'm planning my first buy into a 30k Alpha Legion army and am a little overwhelmed by the number of available units there are. I'm definitely grabbing the Praetors kit and like 30 Tactical Marines to make a couple squads out of for starters; what else is a good basic thing to have? I was thinking maybe a volkite Tactical Support Squad in a Rhino, or maybe a Mortis Contemptor with 2 assault cannons. I'd really like some Lernaean Terminators but they don't have models yet so I guess I'll wait on them. Also, any suggestions on units worth stealing with the AL rite of war?

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

BULBASAUR posted:

No kidding dude. There are lots of options. Contemptor with a pair of assault canons, autocanons, or lascanons arms is a solid choice. Make sure to get an apothacary or two for your squads. A support squad in a rhino with magnetized arms (flamers, plasma, or volkites) is also a decent choice.

Good units to steal: Iron Havocs, Siege Terminators, Gal Vorbak, Pyroclasts, Dark Fury Assault Squads, Mor Deythan, Gorgons, Immortals.

Just depends on your style of play.

Good call on the apothecaries, I hadn't thought of that. It's definitely nice that you can take 1-3. I tend to like a melee focus while leaving the shooting to tanks and dreads, so I'll probably try to build into something along those lines over time. I may have to steal a Dark Fury squad in that case because they seem pretty nice. At the same time though, I'm trying to come up with idea that take advantage of the Alpha Legion rules.

One thing I'm unsure on that someone here might know: are Headhunter Kill Teams any good? I don't quite see the use of them. Without any context, I feel like Seekers seem better.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

So here's the 1500 30k Alpha Legion starter army I've come up with. I plan on using it in some test games with my friends. I think one of them is going Imperial Fists and the other is doing Death Guard. Here's the list:

Legion Praetor w/ artificer armor, paragon blade, power dagger, iron halo, venom spheres (attached to terminators)

2 Apothecaries (attached to each tac squad)

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought w/ 2 kheres assault cannons

5-man Terminator Squad w/ power axes, power fist+power dagger on sgt, these guys are in tartaros

15-man Tactical Squad w/ legion vexilla, combi-plasma on sgt

15-man Tactical Squad w/ legion vexilla, combi-plasma on sgt

5-man Seeker Squad w/ banestrike bolts

Javelin Attack Speeder w/ TL cyclone missiles, heavy bolter (outflanking)

Sicaran tank w/ lascannon sponsons

I'd be taking Infiltrate and using it with everyone. While I'd love to use the Alpha Legion rite to steal some Mor Deythan snipers, I don't feel like paying for a 3rd troops unit at this game size.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

BULBASAUR posted:

Pretty standard infiltrate army, 30kchacho. Looks fun to play! Those terminators are scoring with obsec, because they count as troops in 30k. You could swap them out with a command squad, which would give you a 12" fearless bubble, worse invulnerably saves, but fight better in melee for less points. You'd loose the scoring part, but you could give them and your praetor bikes or jump packs to move around better.

One thing I'd say- you don't have that much anti armor. You could turn the sicaran into a sicaran venator, which is nasty against armor. Or. grab the new dodo dreadnought instead of the mortis. By dropping the combi plasma guns you could arm him up with the missile launcher. That would give you better anti armor, longer range, and indirect fire ontop of skyfire + interceptor.

I had no clue what that new dreadnought was and actually had to look it up after reading this; that thing is pretty baller. It even looks like something out of Mechwarrior. I'll definitely have to give that thing a try. Granted, I still think dual-assault cannon Mortis look badass, but what's the harm in owning both I suppose...

I'll have to mess around with the Command Squad idea, I like it. At least until there are some sweet models out there for Lernaeans. Thanks!

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

BULBASAUR posted:

... and still no IW stuff :(

Not IW but drat, I was hoping for Exodus, myself.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

A bit ago I ebay rescued a bunch of Tyranids, though it wasn't much of a 'rescue' since they're fine. Turns out I really don't have the time or space to work on them in addition to my other armies so I've thrown them back on ebay to try and get my money back. What I get for late night ham purchases I guess... Anyway, here they are if any of you guys are interested. I'll probably just keep re-posting them until they sell. If posting auction links isn't cool let me know and I'll remove this.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

Yeah, the Age of Darkness Detachment is the 30k HH detachment.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

Do templates and blasts just hit all floors of ruins now instead of choosing a floor? I can't find anything about ruins floors in this BRB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

AbusePuppy posted:

Back from LVO. Went 4-2, losing one game to an Ork player who argued with almost every single thing I did on the first turn ("You can't move there. You can't see that. That rule doesn't work that way. That doesn't count. That die was cocked. etc.")

What do you do at a tournament when someone behaves like this?

• Locked thread