Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
It's the Unit Composition 1 (Unique) that defines the Character rule, correct? Or are these not counted as character through any rule mechanic? The librarian and Cassius both have Independent Character rules on their stat lines. If they're not characters, then you only the two ICs can issue/accept challenges, and I can't think of how the jump pack/elite dudes can make use of their detachment types (like Biker, Jump Packs, Deep Strike) because they'd only be viable to take in a squad, which would include models without those rules by default, thus negating them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

MasterSlowPoke posted:

You can take them in a regular allied detachment as well, with the Blood Raven or Cassius as HQ, forced to take the Sternguard squad as the Troop, and can take either the Blood Angel, Salamander, or Raven Guard as an Elites choice, and can take the White Scar as Fast Attack.

The BA/Salamader/RG/WS dudes will be single model one wound units, so not great but hey deep striking master crafted meltagun.

They aren't Independent Characters, can you really take them solo? (i'm genuinely curious if that would work).

Ghost Hand posted:

I regularly purchase FW products. And by regularly, I mean on a consistent basis. I must be the luckiest person around because I RARELY have an issue. And when I do it is resolved quickly.

For all of my criticism of GW and FW, they do have top-notch customer service.

You probably are paying twice as much for a model (compared to recasts) because you almost inevitably need to get shipped two of them to get enough to make one semi-decent model, but you will get that second model for free, no issues.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
Totally agree with the sentiment there. I was trying to insert a positive into a largely negative discussion. Part of the "problem" with getting into GW games and products is that the games *can* be a lot of fun. The rules are simple without being basic and complex enough to challenge people who want to play via spreadhseets and abacus. They get their flesh hooks in with a solid IP, some of the best looking models out there, exciting releases and the like.

The never-ending spigot of disappointment in the form of miscasts/mismolds, lovely rules, constant edition swaps, bloated wordcount fluff books and basic contempt for their customers should be reason enough for right-minded people to drop them like a hot coal, but it's the silly poo poo and the, frankly, stellar customer service that just won't let people stay mad or leave completely.

It's a point worth bringing up, especially since Carl tends to get dogpiled when the threads make these sort of turns.

Yes, we'd all prefer that they exercise a minimal level of quality control, which apparently they're doing on select models now, but it's worth pointing out that they will comp you a replacement at no charge with virtually no questions asked.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ghost Hand posted:

Look, I have close friends that work at FW (and Black Library & GW "prime") so I take it quite personally when people aren't satisfied and often pass these stories along. Likewise I take it personally when people purchase counterfeit pieces. That issue won't get solved here. But when some rear end in a top hat is standing right behind the guy who designed the Warlord Titan and is looking at the fully painted one on the table at Warhammer Workd says "I'll just buy it from China for way less." Within earshot... That's a dick move.

To be fair, it's also an indictment of FW's pricing policies. I get that a lot of that comes down from on high (because "jewel-encrusted items of wonder") but chinese guys wouldn't have such a market if there wasn't such a market (and a markup).

FWIW, that anyone would be so brazen as to walk into WHW and openly talk about buying recasts is ur-grog level and would be right up there in terms of people you wouldn't want to play the game with anyways.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hencoe posted:

"They take up a single Force Organization chart choice with that Praetor"
The way I see it, if they are taken with the model, it specifies them as a praetor, this has only changed with the Delegatus which came out after the red book

Eidolon has the Warlord's Pride special rule which states that he will be the warlord in any game he's taken unless Fulgrim is also taken. He also has his own warlord trait baked into his profile.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

muggins posted:

Yeah that's not the question tho

The question was "can he take a legion command squad?"

The requirement was "if you have a praetor or master of the legion with warlord special rule"

Eidolon has Master of the Legion, Warlord's Pride special rule, and a warlord trait baked into his profile.

Ergo, unless Fulgrim is on the table too, you can take a legion command squad with Eidolon, as he is required to be your Warlord.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uroboros posted:

So I finally finished my two assault terminators finally along with 7 weapon sets. Still not happy with the white on them, but overall not to shabby. Any advice on colors here? Maybe a better way to paint the decorations.
Your best bet in the future would be to base pay with a light grey color and then highlight with a pure white. On the table it will look white, especially with a dark contrast color like Ultra's blue.

dawnstone > ulthuan grey > white scar

Maybe do a nuln oil wash after the first layering of ulthuan grey, but be sure to only wash the recesses and then highlight narrowly with white scar only on the highest parts.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uroboros posted:

I've been doing Celestra -> Ulthuan > Dragonof Nightshade followed by Ulthuan and White Scar highlights, it just comes off "bleh" not only on the helm but on the crosses if it's just a matter of more layers then that is what I will do, but when I look at the guys in the codex they have that white down perfect.

Maybe use a small dry brush with Paraxi White on those portions?

Was grey the right choice for the shield emblem? Seems a bit bland...

A lot of that is continuous thinning of paints and multiple layers. Liquitex flow aid and/or a retarder medium to keep the paint from drying out can help.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Renfield posted:

People are mentioning drybrushing, and edge highlights...

But no-ones said the heat-effect on the guns look Really good !

This man speaks truth.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

BULBASAUR posted:

Comicon was always the worst, followed by PAX, and then other trade shows. I thought this level of social awkwardness was a universal constant. Then I went to Europe.

Gamescom? Clean, well dressed, German people. Almost all of them were in shape and many came with significant others. It blew my mind. They even cleaned up after themselves which nobody in America had ever done before.

6 years of E3 Expo stories.

I've seen things

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Would love to hear from people who have actually introduced people to the game.

Be honest. Sell them on the lore, backstory and models. GW absolutely has the most detailed models on the market. Their plastic engineering is top notch. Tell the new people that it's a model and story company first, and a game company second. If they love the story and the models (i.e. The hobby) more than the game, they'll be fine.

The usual grognard warning and encouragement to only play with cool people to get the most enjoyment stuff is a must.

This basically goes for 30k too. Only they can be slightly more competitive in 30k, though it's not a high ceiling before you hit grogzone.

If they are more competitive, want to play a more complicated game, be honest and point them to X-wing, Warmahordes, or Dropzone.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

DJ Dizzy posted:

Back the gently caress up. 30k is a fine game compared to the shitfest that is 40k. It works well with pick-up games due to the community not being shitlers, and decently balanced rules.

You're right, however it still based off of 7th ed core rules and there are inconsistencies all over the place. You are ill advised to play 30k into 40k, so newbies would be severely limiting their realistic opponent pool, and faction options by choosing to go into 30k. The. There's the part about it being forgeworld and 3x as expensive as 40k per model to start out.

Think about it from a new player perspective and being honest with them. 30k is a game for bitter 40k vets, not for getting people into miniature wargaming.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
Again, the original question was about bringing new players into the game. If you spent 10 minutes trying to describe the nuance of multi-edition differences in psychic abilities to a new player their eyes would gloss over and they'd lose interest immediately.

Keeping things light, and focusing on the selling points is what is going to get the hooks in. 40k has those, but as illustrated in the last page of the thread, the good and cool stuff is superficial, because once you get into the nuance, poo poo goes to hell. People in this thread are real good at arguing the nuance, but as has been seen in the last 20 or so pages here, any time a goon pops in with the "hey guys, I used to play back in the 90s and I sort of want to come back to the game" the general responses are negative - "game's broken, eldar are bullshit, play super casual with friends or avoid."

I'm not disagreeing with a single point that was referenced here. But coming from having played the game for a couple years now, I'm all bitter veteran'd up. If I was passionate enough about the game to volunteer my time to get new players interested in it, I'd leave the nuance at the door. Just focus on making sure that new players know that there's 500 ways to take advantage of really poorly written rules, so play with friends for fun and enjoy, lest you stare directly into the darkness of trying to make sense of the rules, because the darkness stares back and it's more retarded than any one man can grok.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
Was at the nerd shop last night and the manager was putting together this two ghosar formations from the deathwatch box set. He was trying to find an 1850 list that he could run with them and had been considering getting a third ghosar formation. I pulled up the rising leviathan book and figured out that 2x Ghosars, 1x Manufactorum Genestealers formation, and 1x Broodlord's Hunting Pack gives the tyranids player an additional 45 genestealers and 1 broodlord more infiltrate within 6" in ruins options and preferred enemy on the broodlord's formation for something like 1820 points. Throw regeneration on the broodlord and it was 1850 on the nose with Tyranids basically going whole ham alphastrike.

Three guys at the shop that play Tau, Space Furkin and Mechanicus all had that horrified stare when we threw it together on paper and two of them said they wouldn't even try to play against it.

Game's so drat ridiculous. Obviously this doesn't work in ITC, but that poo poo's basically homebrew these days anyways.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

PierreTheMime posted:

This is functionally impossible because all three HQ models are Unique.

I don't have the ghosar datasheet, and I haven't played 40k in a year or more, but are you saying that you can't take HQs when required by the formations when they're unique/the same? If he's just stacking formations and not using CADs isn't legal? We ran it through battlescribe (which must always be the correctest) and it didn't pop up with any issues.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

PierreTheMime posted:

Most Formations aren't really intended to be played in multiples. The current Ghosar Broodkin set is a one-off for the White Dwarf. If they do actually come out with a fleshed-out codex for them I'm certain they will include HQ models that are not unique and have Formations to include other options. As it stands, Unique models cannot be used in duplicate regardless of their source within the same army.

I'll let him know about that. I don't think it'll deter him from trying to play with it. He'd just say that the second magos is somebody different and use a different model for it.

He's the right sort of ham that owns like 120,000 points of painted ultras and mostly likes things that are cool and fun and worth playing over beers. He was really excited for genestealer cult and wanted to field a huge lot of them. He also had like 60 genestealers from space hulk boxes in a bag that hasn't sold from the loose minis box in almost 2 years since the re-re-release of the SH box.

If he throws down next week I'll try to get pictures of it. If I get around to seeing the datasheets for genestealers I might help him with a more tournament-legal list. Honestly though, with all of the flavor-of-the-week alpha grog poo poo the other 40k players have been doing there the last 2 years, I'm half tempted to not say anything and let him rending claw his way through their netlisted poo poo.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Safety Factor posted:

I honestly don't understand 40k proper anymore. Or the appeal of the insane mishmash of whatever's being done to it.

100% with you on this.

quote:

That's not how that works. You can't ignore the Unique rule by homebrewing up a different name.

I don't know how to tell a nice guy who just spent $220 on two boxes of that deathwatch kit "sorry, half of your poo poo is invalid because this was a white dwarf one-off, get hosed."

Luckily, I will never be in a position to play against him as I lack a substantive 40k army, so it's not like I have a dog in that fight.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

PantsOptional posted:

The key is suppressing your laughter.

Why start now? I've been mocking all of the 40k guys (except this one dude) for dumping cash into GW for the last year at least.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlipUp posted:

I was thinking of getting back into 40k after a nearly decade long hiatus. I really like the idea of a Grey Knight Nemesis Strikeforce, but some posters were saying Terminators are basically garbage now? Would that list be competitive? Which races are the go to for competitive play these days?

Competitive these days means alpha-grognard level of hyper-formation shenanigans. There's a massive proliferation of AP2 and high strength or mass shooting that either 1 shots or easily withers away large, expensive units like Grey Knights.

For maximum competitiveness, you'll want to look into Tau, Eldar, Mechanicum, codex Space Marines, White Scars and/or including Knight Titans as an accessory to your force or as their own standalone (though this may be on the downswing as people dropping 5 knight titans in 1850 is sort of a solved puzzle these days).

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Now that they've been out for a bit, what is the consensus on the Skitarii? I'm still thinking about maybe picking up a starting box of them, it seems like a fairly good value, but I never know with GW. I like the Skitarii since they look like a fun goofy shooty army that has some neat melee.

That formation that pairs them with mechanicus and a knight for like 700+ free points of upgrades is boss mode. on their own they're fluffy and have neat models.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrSlam posted:

I can't believe these rules

TURNDOWN: If you shout 'TURN DOWN FOR WHAT' and pelvic thrust throughout your entire turn, the opposing player must do the same. All units within a 12" radius cease all actions throughout the turn and for all intents and purposes are bumping and grinding. This radius expands by 12" for every consecutive turn. The first player to stop pelvic thrusting will lose the match.

Man, Bulbasaur and Panascope pull out all the stops in their homegroan rules.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shake Lockerman posted:

I've seen people talking about 30k positively in this thread. As someone who loves 40k fluff and aesthetic, etc, but thinks the current state of the game is abysmal and unfun bullshit, is 30k any better in that regard?

General consensus is yes. The game features space marines vs. space marines vs. space marines vs. spindly little human guys vs. spindly little human-robbit guys, so the balancing act between factions is much easier. No Tau/Eldar bullshit (also no xenos flavor, it's all marines/guard/mechanicum, all the time).

The formation bullshit is also not present. You get a Rite of War for each legion that gives special allowances for your army based on your legion's theme, but also usually comes with a drawback or two. If you get a free upgrade, or an extra Elite slot due to your RoW, chances are you're taking a penalty somewhere else (limited HQ choices or loss of Heavy Support/LoW slot).

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ilor posted:

But the sad fact is that until legislation or a court case establishes it, it's just "maybe kind of a good idea."

You must have missed where the shop owner represented himself and called the proceedings a "kangaroo court" when he lost. Even after a legislative action you won't convince the "job creators" of the world that they have to be responsible for anything other than themselves.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

SteelMentor posted:

It took me weeks to stop referring to Nagash as Kel'thusad when his End Times model got released.

The temptation to model a kitty on his base was overwhelming.

:perfect:

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
Fwiw, this poo poo sounds like it could actually be fun if you had to spend an entire weekend indoors with a fridge full of beer, and a commitment to end the game after turn 3 of a 2k-per-side game.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

krushgroove posted:

I'm not going to, but when I bring DE or CSM flyers and he brings his DA flyers, am I just going to let his flyers dogfight mine and do nothing? It's another layer of complexity I just don't want to deal with, plus if you bought a £35 book would you want your opponent to always say 'nah, I don't want to use those rules this game'?

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > Warhammer 40k: I paid £35 for rules that no one wants to play

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
That Deathwing game.

gently caress. Yes.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

krushgroove posted:

Arguing on a paywalled forum means they'll never see the confusion they're sowing.

I'm confident in my cynical jesting that arguing on public forums or facebook groups won't change the end result.

At least here people can mostly chat it up and adapt their homebrew rules as they see fit until the ITC homebrew ruleset comes to some sort of consensus. At that point people can argue about how authoritative Frontline Gaming's homebrew is vs. the RAW/RAI FAQ.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Post 9-11 User posted:

I have some bases from AberrantGames that I want to plug because they're quality and don't cost a poo poo ton of money like most providers. The sets I have are eight bases for about $4.50 so I suppose times have changed. That deviation die is cool, though, since it has the arrow marker located inside of a transparent D6. That would actually help deviation accuracy quite a bit.

http://store.aberrantgames.com/gaac.html

Those industrial and urban bases are available from Champ Industries for $0.30/each as well.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mango Polo posted:

I thought brown sauce was gravy, but it seems to be something entirely different. Gravy is awesome for any sandwich anyway.

That's what I thought as well, however I've known the glory of The Hat's wet pastrami fries and it's the best use of gravy ever.

:btroll:

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

DJ Dizzy posted:

Guilliman is going to go into a fit of monumental rage when he sees what the imperium has turned to.

Counterpoint: Fulgrim did the job right the first time and the Ultras have been spending the last 10k years worshipping a statue and refusing to face facts.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

DJ Dizzy posted:

Well.... Alpharius did kill Guilliman... so....

That happened the other way around. He supposedly killed Alpharius and then was given a new smile hole by demon prince Fulgrim using what looked like the same blade that was used to poison/corrupt Horus.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

DJ Dizzy posted:

No. You got it all wrong. Alpharius killed Guilliman and then took his place.

Just so he could be a theme park statue on Macragge? Not likely.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Complete wasted opportunity. They should have collector's edition bundles that come with figures and stuff. Bah, GW!

"If you thought the DLC was expensive..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
I guess I'm back in on the warhams now too. 8th looks "real good" and those new Thousand Sons models and Tzeentch daemons starter box were just about right.

Now I'm gonna have to go dig up my paints and hobby stuff cause I got a shitload of spikey plastic to assemble and paint.

• Locked thread