Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Dude. Some people don't, and have no interest in playing competitively.

and that's fine

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

In case this was ever in question: playing against a Warhound in a sub 2000pt game is no fun.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Von Humboldt posted:

What's the story with this? I mean, we all get the ending - Warhound eats Hixson alive - but I want to know how it got to this point.

Panascope just got his titan and wanted to try it. We were just messing around. He had a bunch of guardsmen, a chimera, and a titan at 1850pts.

I put lances on everything. But it didnt matter. By the end of the game the titan had killed a wraithknight, wraithlord, 3 waveserpents, 3 warwalkers, 2 squads of dire avengers, and a building my warp spiders were hiding in. The things a dick.

But it was still a pretty funny game. I had a seer council on foot that Gate of Inifinity'd across the board and charged his guardblob. 5 warlocks died to do it, but Eldrad made it into close combat and killed Yarick in a challenge. It was cinematic as gently caress.

We tried out the objective cards, they were actually pretty fun. They gave me enough points to give me a false sense of hope that i could win. After the game we realized that you're allowed to discard 1 card per turn. So I could have gotten rid of the the card that wanted me to destroy his fortifcation (he didnt have one) and the one that wanted me to control all the objectives on the board (lol)

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Von Humboldt posted:

Pretty rad. That's the best way to do Titans and the like. Did you use the Escalation Warlord table, or just roll with whatever Eldrad had? How'd the new psychic phase treat your Eldar? Perhaps most importantly, how the hell did Eldrad kill Yarrick?

I just rolled on Divination w/ Eldrad, which was a mistake. Fortune would have went a long way.

Psychic powers are definitely more difficult to manifest. But I like it. The new system introduces alot of decision making instead of just making GBS threads out all your powers each turn. It would have went alot better for me if all my Warlocks didnt eat poo poo turn 2

Also, Eldrad just manned the gently caress up and put that dude in the dirt. Then he died to a sanctioned psyker in cc next turn :saddowns:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Geoff Zahn posted:

Here's some junk I'm looking to get rid of, I'll make an SA-Mart thread later this afternoon with paypal info and stuff:

Album link lists prices, I don't even know if these are fair or a steal or whatever

I'd take the thousand sons and Ahriman

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

panascope posted:

This after you asked me to talk you out of them? For shame.

You didn't do a very good job.

Geoff Zahn posted:

Thread is up http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3649069

I marked the dibs people already called, have at duders. I'll probably have some more stuff later on in the month up there, I'm a terrible 40k hoarder so it's hard to let some of the stuff go even though I know I'll never use it :smith:

Continue the cycle, use the money to buy new warhams!

Also, thanks for holding them for me. I'll PayPal you when I get home from work this evening.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Goons, I picked up the Tyranid half of the deathstorm box for some reason. Coming from playing only Eldar for the past several years and only playing against nids a few times in 4th edition, I have no idea what i'm doing.

What should I buy to make a decent list? What loadouts for the warriors/carnifex are decent? Genestealers seem like a waste of points right?

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Thanks man, appreciate the advice

BULBASAUR posted:

Sell it all and start a better army instead?

Maybe I think tyranids are cool and don't really care if they're bad?

Also I have 5000pts of painted eldar/dark eldar

Hixson fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 14, 2014

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Man, the day 1 DLC really rubs me the wrong way. It's one of the reason I quit playing the Battlefield series. Having a necessary expansion shoved down my throat immediately after release is lovely

koreban posted:

There was no answer because his opponent could not remove enough models each turn to keep the tide at bay and while his stuff couldn't kill vehicles and dreadnaughts and such, they just surrounded them and sat on top of everything.

This is loving awesome

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

SRM posted:

And just some detail of the bases, which have some grody old weathered helmets on them:

What do you do for snow? It looks great.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I'm seriously going to just houserule loving everything once I get my table set up

There's a thread for that

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Big Willy Style posted:

yeah but dont do this

you can do the SM trick with lamenters in a fluffy way, they were thought to be immune to the black rage until after the badab wars. so you can run your dudes as blood angels or sm and then you can lecture your dumb friends about fluff while taking some bullshit list.

Play Ultramarines as BA's. Who gives a poo poo if your blue dudes are playing with the rules for the red dudes.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

If there were low grav combat rules from GW. You guys would hate them and make a house rule thread

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Never change Hollismason

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Just finished painting the carnifex from the deathstorm box. After painting 99% eldar over the past several years, it was an absolute joy to work on.

bonus pic w/ his armless bros

Thanks SRM for the snow tips. I used your method but used baking soda instead of snow flock!

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Boon posted:

Hixson, it's wonderful!

Take a look at that piece of cork on the front right underside though.

Thanks!

The unpainted parts on the base (tree bark) are actually underneath. You can't see them unless you get down and look. I'll probably go back and paint them black before I seal it.

TKIY posted:

Fantastic colour scheme. Awesome job!

Thanks man! I'm very happy with how it turned out

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

You play with Hixson?
:wink:

30k in 40k is fine if everybody knows all the rules. Problems come up when the 30k player announces some wonky special rule mid-turn that fucks everybody for not knowing about it the turn before. This has happened numerous times playing against 30k armies (read: BULBASAUR)

also, this page owns

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

think I'm playing my AdMech against Tau tomorrow. which idiot poo poo hellfucker will have the most dumb broken bullshit in their army? ignores cover missiles? 6 plasma gun shots that are precision shots on a 5+ but don't get hot? I'll take photos/make a battle report if there's any interest.

Maybe you'll both lose

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

panascope posted:

I'm trying to hold off on buying this book because I'm about to have a baby but this is making it really tempting.

panascope posted:

Ok, gently caress getting IA 13 I'm starting my Sons of Horus army.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

panascope posted:

What's the firing arc on a Wave Serpent's Serpent Shield? I don't have the book in front of me but it says something like it projects it forward, right? Can it target things on top of, say, a bastion? I had Be'lakor up on one this weekend and a Serpent Shield killed him.

I usually treat it as a hull mounted weapon positioned wherever on the front arc that benefits me the most

Hixson fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 8, 2015

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

No, but the Russians and the Chinese have already begun bootlegging it.

If you buy knock off juice you are a lovely person with no morals and you should feel bad about it

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

cross post from the painting thread

Hixson posted:

Painted another buggeroo

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I've had unboiled sand on my eldar for close to 3 years now. They're fine.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I use cat litter, it's for sale every where and makes a good base and takes washes etc.. well. If I want sand or something I go outside to this parking lot and take that.

Basing : It costs literally nothing.

Also, if you eat chicken after wards just boil that poo poo forever then break up the bones after it's dry they look pretty cool on bases especially the larger ones.

You can also just set out some mouse traps outside, then when the rats die and are decomposing boil the skin and everything off and use their carcasses and skulls for basing.

Dead birds are useful as well.

See a Dead bird on the road , take that poo poo home. Boil all that outside by the way.

Plz post your dead animal bases thanks.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

BuffaloChicken posted:

*moves dreadnought model, tiny quivering bit of brain matter drips out of giant dog skull on base*

You just have to boil it more forever

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Vondizimo posted:

So it looks like Forge World are hiring someone to do nothing but assemble kits for a few months.

Is this because they're swamped with new releases that need webstore shots done or because they've all had enough trying to put together warped super heavies? :v:

There's is no amount of money that would make me not kill myself assembling warhounds for a living.

Hixson fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 17, 2015

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Cataphract posted:

Dude on Facebook has painted the celestial lions... All of them

Thats cool as hell

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Slimnoid posted:

Mindshackle Scarabs can go suck a million dicks.

Yeah pretty much this

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

panascope posted:

As an Eldar player you basically have no room to bitch about things.

Yeah eldar are p good.

That's why I started buying nids; so you can start winning again

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

They are a lower top middle upper tier army.

What does this mean?

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

A couple rules questions we we ran into last night:

1. Does a FMC benefit from area terrain cover saves if it is swooping over the terrain with its base positioned in it?

2. Can an imperial knight use its stomp attacks if the unit it assaulted is completely destroyed before the I1 step?

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Boon and AbusePuppy thanks for the rules help.

The more we play 7th edition the more we've realized that we've been doing a lot of little things wrong. 7th changed or straight up removed a lot of rules from 6th. Also, all the formations and special detachments you can bring make the book keeping and keeping track of all the unique special rules challenging.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Drake_263 posted:

Yeah, we ended up with Maelstrom mission 6 where you play corner vs corner, so he backed his pointy-eared little motherfuckers in this tight box formation with the Lynx at the back (and part-covered by this short little wall), with 3 wave serpents in a phalanx around it, so that there was no way for anything to reach the back arcs on those things, and a Wraithknight nearby. He essentially was using everyhting but the Knight to bubblewrap the Lynx. I was using a list that basically aimed to cram a couple of melta- and flamer-equipped dreadnoughs in pods down his throat - so he packed everything in tight so I couldn't reach anything important and of course couldn't roll anything but 5+ for jinks and serpent shields.

I politely informed him that if he wanted to win his own loving tournament he should just keep the prizes and not embarrass himself by waving his e-dick about.

You're doing a pretty good job at convincing me to buy a Lynx

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Lungboy posted:

Hmm, that complicates things. I think a bit of fiddling should get it to fit though, will have a look this evening.

e: I wonder if i could stick the barrel to the Wraithknight weapon body and mount it that way?

I don't know if you're planning on magnetizing them or not. But it's really easy to use the WS heavy weapons on the wraithlord if you just cut the semi-circle bit off with an exacto knife and glue a magnet in its place. I've done it for all my warwalkers

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

xtothez posted:

Despite the rumours, I'm kinda surprised to see this before the regular Eldar bike was updated. That thing is legally old enough to drink in the USA.

Still, looking pretty good.

:aaaaa:

those look incredible

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

:siren: poo poo load of pictures incoming :siren:

Finally took some pics of my eldar stuff --

everything together:

Individual shots:

Next on the list : Lynx. Get hosed Panascope

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Thanks for the words everybody. I've spent an ungodly amount of time painting, glad you guys like them :shobon:

koreban posted:

I can confirm this statement and having played against Hixson on many occasions I can also add that even though he's powergamey and cheap, painted models make for fantastic sidebar models as he gets tabled because his dice hate him.

You kind of have to be powergamey in our group. The local meta is tough and you have to bring tough lists to not get poo poo on. Especially now that Stanyer89 is playing with us, he just ordered his 3rd imperial knight for the Adamantium Lance formation! You should make the trip up to Panascopes sometime soon and we'll throw down.

The Sex Cannon posted:

Come to NOVA.

I've only ever played against a complete stranger once at an FLGS and it was not a pleasurable experience. I can only imagine how unfun things get when there is a prize on the line.

My kind of warhammer involves large volumes of alcohol and yelling at my friends.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Ghost Hand posted:

It's still a WIP obviously but I for one really do like it. You guys leveling all the hate at it are SO wrong :P

I don't like it mostly because it looks nothing like what I imagined when reading the HH stuff. Why wasn't I consulted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Lungboy posted:

Harlequin rumours for this week are:
Codex, 96 page hardback.
Painting guide.
Starweaver
Psychic cards
Dice

80+ pages will be fluff and pictures