Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

The Sex Cannon posted:

This cross post is almost as long as my list of crippling insecurities!

Ok, NoVA/DC/MD hams. Here's the deal: These guys are a totally legit battle-forged army that clocks in at 1405 pts. I want to play an all-infantry hilarity fest to christen 7th edition. Who's got 1405 points of infantry and wants to throw down sometime soon?

I know this is really late but I live in Fairfax and have a ton of Guardsmen and would love to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
So, I was playing some games today, and it seems that, rules as written, one can take jink saves on skimmers that haven't moved. Actually, you can even take jink saves on skimmers that are immobilized!

Apparently you can also take jink saves on FMC's when they aren't swooping (granting nurgle princes a permanent 2+ cover save with their shrouding).

I actually like some of the changes made to 7th edition, but this just reeks of poor planning and no playtesting.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

Post 9-11 User posted:

Nay. Eldar, Space Marines, (including bucket o' Terminators) Imperial Guard stuff, Chaos Marines, Daemons, Dark Eldar, Dark Vengeance set, uh ... more than I forget.

Sorry to hear that you're getting of the hobby. :(

That being said, do you have an inventory? I'd probably be interested in buying SM/IG stuff off of you.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
I'm starting to price out lists for a tournament this Sunday, and I'm just wondering: IG players, do you run psykers at all? If so, how do you do it? It doesn't look like just a pair of Primaris psykers is worth it anymore. I'm going to guess a lot of people (i.e, everyone) is allying with grey knights now?

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Does anybody know what the Imperial Guard formations are like?

I have 9 Leaman Russes that would love a formation!

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
[quote="The Sex Cannon" post="43386ti
Any NOVA/DC/MD goons want to get a game in this weekend? I need to practice 7th edition for the upcoming NOVA Open.
[/quote]

I don't know if someones already answered you, but I live in Fairfax and would be down to play. I don't have a car this weekend though, and also work nights so either sleep.almost of the day or am just tired.

Phoneposting also blows. PM me!

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

The Sex Cannon posted:

Reading this makes it sound so, so much worse. I still had a great time, though!

I played TsarZiedonis tonight and I discovered that Wyverns are really, really good. Wish I had some. Got stomped, had a great time.

Guys, I might be bad at this whole Warhammer thing.

Thanks for the game! When you said you wanted to get in some NOVA practice, I thought you meant the GT, not the narrative campaign! I actually expected to get stomped. And yeah, Wyverns are great at sniping characters out of units. Totally broken at 65 points each.

Still, I think you won the moral high ground. You're army is well painted, and mine is not. We should play again sometime! And you should teach me to paint.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Hello thread! I just got back into 40k after three years away. The actual advances to the plot are really cool and we're a big contributor to getting me back. I played IG since I was a 12 year old, and it's gotten a little stale. I pulled out the half of a marine army I got from a guy who was leaving the hobby, but my enthusiasm waned a little bit when I realized that everyone just runs the same Battle Company formation (or it's even better dark angels equivalent). Thankfully though, after three hours of conversation, a sales guy at Huzzah hobbies was able to point me towards the mechanicum! They look really cool, and like they would play really *different*, which is exactly what I wanted. I bought the start collecting Skitaari box set, which actually was a good deal! I love the aesthetics of the AdMech guys, but I don't actually know too much about them... any advice for a guy who has a solid foundation on basic 40k rules but who has never, ever played with the newer factions before?

Oh, and to reference the above post, I just bought some of the newer books and the art and fluff are definitely worse. A lot of the art looks like CGI and some of the fluff in the Fall of Cadia book read like fanfiction.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

SteelMentor posted:

Welcome back to an unceasing, screaming nightmare the hobby! Mechanicum are loving sweet, they're what dragged me back kicking and screaming as well.

First piece of advice I can give you is to grab the first Gathering Storm book, Fall of Cadia. It has rules to allow you to run Cult Mechanicus, Skitarii and Imperial Knights as one army without resorting to silly detatchment shenanigans. Also comes with the rules for their only special character so far, Belisarius Cawl, who is pretty awesome.

Mechanicum as a whole are a very shooty faction, with decent guns and buckets of special rules. Said special rules are the backbone of your army, Canticles of the Omnissiah for Cult units and Doctrina Imperitives for Skitarii. Never forget these when you're playing, more often than not they're gonna give you the extra edge you need to win. Fire off a BS Doctrina and watch your Rangers out-gunline the Tau, play the Shroudpsalm Canaticle and laugh as your robots shrug off anything short of a D weapon.

While the Mechanicum are shooty, they can hold their own in assault. Ruststalkers, Infiltrators and Dragoons are pretty solid on the charge, especially when you buff them up with Canticles/Doctrinas. Avoid Electo-Priests, they're not terrible but they do way too little for their cost.

Give the formations in each book a good read through and consideration, the Mechanicum's are generally pretty good and not a large bother to build either. The most powerful/popular formation, War Convocation, does require you to build your forces in a very specific way, though the results are pretty devastating on the table-top. For now though, grab yourself another set of Rangers/Vanguards and play a couple of small games to get used to how they work on the tabletop.

Thanks!

It's a little strange that Skitaari and Cult Mechanicus are separate armies, but I suppose their formations tend to Intertwine the two. My next big purchase is probably going to be another unit of Skitaari troops, the CM robot weapons servitor guys that I think are troops and the CM book.

Formations are kind of a double edged sword to me. On the one hand, they're really cool and let you combine lots of stuff in fluffy ways (like Skitaari and AdMech robots), but on the other a lot of armies seem to have a formation that just stands out as the absolute best that everyone has to play (Free transports in Battle Companies). One of the reasons I'm not to keen on jumping back in with my huge guard collection is that they don't seem to have any worthwhile formations and don't combine with other imperial factions in terribly interesting ways.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Is that why the art is bland? It's basically just an in book advertisement for the model line?

I got into 40k years ago when the eye of terror campaign book came out. I was raised on the 3rd ed codexes, the campaign books and necromunda, which all had tons of stuff depicted that had no direct tabletop equivalent. The art and writing on those books did such an amazing job of conveying the grit and the emotion of the setting to the reader. Now, even the chaos books seem... antiseptic? Sanitized?

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
It looks like clipart. Or like the little animations I used to make in middle school PowerPoint slides.

What happened to all the really cool black and white shaded scenes?

Heer98 fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 13, 2017

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Does anyone know how easy it is to combine Cult Mechanicus/Skitaari? They just seem like they should be one army to me. Do their special rules interact in any meaningful ways?

Oh, and some of these kits seem to be buildable in multiple configurations... is there a "good" unit and a "bad" unit I should know about for the Skitaari infantry dudes?

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

SteelMentor posted:

There's a couple of ways. Basic way to do it is to have a Cult Mechanicus detachment and ally in a Skitarii detachment, but this doesn't allow you to apply Canticles to Skitarii like the other two methods.

Second way is to build a War Convocation list, which consists of a standard Cult detatchment, a Skitarii Battle Maniple and a Knight. This is by far the most powerful method of doing it, giving Canticles to Skitarii units, plus ignoring Gets Hot and free upgrades. Only problem is the Battle Maniple is super rigid, and because it's so powerful it can be pretty unsuited for casual friendly games.

Third way is the combined Mechanicum list in Fall of Cadia. This way lets you freely mix and match units as if they were on codex, but you have to max out your unit slots to get army-wide Canticles, which is unfeasible in anything under 3000~ points.

As for units, only real trap unit is the Electro-Priests. Everything else is fine, and down to personal taste, I don't particularly like Ballistarii and Sicaran Infiltrators, but they're fine as units.

Hmm, so it sounds like I'll be a bit locked into a war convocation list.

Thanks!

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Am I reading the AdMech War Convocation formation rules correctly? Because it looks like you get as many free relics and weapons as you want. Does that mean that I can load up every unit champion with every relic in the book for free? And then give every squad every free non gets hot plasma caviliers? Because that umm, that seems really overpowered.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

SteelMentor posted:

No. Read the wording on the Relic table: Only one of each Relic can be taken per army, and I think AdMech have the only one per character restriction as well.

You can load up on as many Plasma Cavaliers as you can carry of course, which is loving horrible.

Sorry, I should have worded that better: I can give each character a free relic, until I hit the applicable limits on relics? Which still seems like 100+ points of free swag.

Also, does the free weapons thing mean free guns for like, the battle servitors and walkers and such?

I've been out of the game for several years and I'm just coming back in with AdMech because they seem like a breath of fresh air (I *almost* bought Dark Eldar!). The Formations thing is really new to me, and seems really cool, but I am a little disappointed how some armies seem to have that one really, really good formation that gives you free stuff that everyone must take! It limits some of the fluffier choices to friendly pick up games only.

That being said, I really do like the War Convocation. The three Adeptus Mechanicus books really feel like they should have just been one army to me, and that formation lets me run them together in a way that feels right.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

PierreTheMime posted:

War Convocation is great, but it's a bit of a reverse from the standard army build. You get all the free stuff, but unless you are playing a huge game your list really can't deviate much from the core units. Don't get me wrong, it's still a powerful Formation, but it has a built-in weakness that you can't have much redundancy in the good units because you had to buy so many Electro Priests etc.

Hmm, it's basically like having two CADs plus a knight, right? It makes sense that they'd make the minimums you had to take so high, those formation rules would be much too powerful for smaller games.

And I thought electro priests were elites choices, and therefore optional?

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Does anyone know where people play in the NoVA area? I've been going to Huzzah Hobbies which is great, but a hike. It looks like Game Parlor closed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Does anyone know how long GW is offering reimbursement or codexes bought between February and April? It would be awesome if I can still do it after the 22nd, when I'm back from vacation.

• Locked thread