Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
I haven't painted minis since about 2006, but recently got the itch again. I ended up picking up a Start Collecting bundle and decided to paint myself some 4th Company Ultras.

Finished up 3 marines today, pretty pleased with them considering how long it's been (compared to my stuff 10 years ago when I last did this: http://i.imgur.com/5Uw6OuW.jpg?1). The rest and dreadnought are at various stages of progress.

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

ANAmal.net posted:

I have one thought, and that thought is: dooooooope.

SRM posted:

Yep, them's some good looking Ultras. If taking time off made my stuff improve that much, I'd stop painting more often!

Thanks!

Uroboros posted:

Good start, I'd suggesting taking a fine detail brush and using maccrage blue to make the edge lines look smoother and thinner, the same with the green on the shoulder pads.

Good advice thanks, I will try this.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Just finished up this bad boy tonight:

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Lord Twisted posted:

Just wanted to quote this onto this page as it looks baller. I'm thinking of expanding my Salamanders with some boxdreads as they're quite cheap and cheerful and fluffy.

Thank you!

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Uroboros posted:

Edging already looks cleaner than your last picture, so great job. Of course the plus side of Marine vehicles is they are nice and angular for such things. What are you using on your gold areas? and the edges of your black metal?

Maybe do the laurel on the Lascannon barrel gold instead, so it pops out a little more.

Thanks. All the gold is balthasar gold > agrax earthshade > gehenna's gold > runefang steel, and all the metal parts are black base, drybrushed with a little bit of balthasar gold, then leadbelcher > runefang steel.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Verisimilidude posted:

What did you use for the wash on the blue parts of the armor?

Nuln oil, just in the recesses not all over.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Uroboros posted:

SPACESHIP!!

Looks rad. For your blue highlights did you do edge highlighting or drybrush and then touch up the blue? Gonna start painting my Ultras storm talon this week.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Uroboros posted:

I used maccrage, washed nuln in all the nooks and crannies, and then touched up maccrage. This is where it became bit of a pain, because I initially wanted to dry brush the whole deal to do the highlighting, because this is what I had done with the Land Raider and it worked well. So I went in with Calgar Blue followed by Etherium Blue Dry. While this worked well on the main edges of the hull it didn't do poo poo from all the little plating gaps that crisscross Marine aircraft. So I had to clean up the model and go back in using a fine detail brush to get them. I'd suggest dry brushing all the main edges, and if you still want to get those tiny gaps use a fine brush, don't try to dry brush them or you'll just make a big mess.

Also, I might go back and dry brush black on the exhaust vents, easy to do and makes it look like it has been running.

Sounds good, thank you sir.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Finished up 3 more dudes:

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Uroboros posted:

Your guys are definitely improving. Did you use the cloak edging from the Ultramarine transfer sheet on that dudes tabard? Was it hard to apply to an uneven surface? Because it looks like you did it well. Maybe do an extra Admin Grey highlight on the guns. And Fire Dragon Bright very thinly edge the red helm will give it some extra pop.

Thanks man. Yeah that's the cloak edging from the big Ultramarine transfer sheet. It was a bit fiddly yeah, but I use the Micro Sol softening solution to soften up my transfers when I apply them so they go onto uneven surfaces much easier. It's good for transfers over panel lines as well, makes them look painted on.

I do keep thinking of doing a second round of even lighter edge highlights, but I just find the process so tedious.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

drat I wish I hadn't already basecoated my command squad, I have macragge blue spray and I'd have loved to try this.

Uroboros posted:

When it says "washes" it simply means normal water mixed paints brushed on right? Not an actual GW wash.

No looks like they do mean actual washes, not watered paint. The example one is carroburg crimson wash.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Progress!

Getting there slowly...

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Mango Polo posted:

Wargame Exclusive, your one stop place for all things covered in tits.

Some of these are so ridiculous (tau tits...), but that one-armed cigar-chomping Tau veteran is legit badass.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Cross postin'

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Finally finished this guy, I think the base took as long as the model...

Was a lot of fun to do, got to try some stuff I hadn't done before.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Thanks guys. Yeah I know the highlights aren't perfect, I (stupidly) decided to drybrush it which didn't work at all, just made a mess, and so even with much touching up of the maccragge it's not as neat as if I had just edge highlighted like I should have. Oh well!

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

SRM posted:

Drybrushing is great for certain things, but yeah, on Space Marine vehicles I'd just save it for weathering. They really benefit from hard edge highlights. But hey, you're getting better and learning from your mistakes, and honestly it doesn't look bad as-is. Keep it up with those purdy Ultras.

Thanks man :)

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Renfield posted:

People are mentioning drybrushing, and edge highlights...

But no-ones said the heat-effect on the guns look Really good !

Thank you! Uroboros noticed it too to be fair.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Uroboros posted:

I'd like to see an Turn based strategy game in the style of X-COM but with a 40K theme. Deathwatch would be perfect for this. Take your guys from lowly scouts to Chapter Master level of badass.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/394450/

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Got these delivered today all the way from the Ukraine, such cool models! They did come with nice bases but I'm gonna do my own.

Super crisp and clean casts too, way better than any FW or GW resin I've seen.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Something a bit different to my Ultras today, painting up some jungle-themed Tau. Here's the first Pathfinder, a test model of sorts for the colour scheme and basing and all that.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Enentol posted:

Looks seriously great, dude. Would love to see what you could do with some jungle Stealth Suits.

Thanks so much! Yeah stealthsuits are definitely coming, though I'm itching to do a big battlesuit, so maybe a Ghostkeel next...

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

jadebullet posted:

Hey guys, I need a favor. Back in 2007 I bought some Chaos Space Marines, and one of the bits was a head with a blindfold over the eyes and a sewn together mouth. Do any of you guys have this bit? I will pay you for it. I need it for a conversion.

Is it this one? Second on the left: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Chaos-Mutations

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

jadebullet posted:

Second on the right is exactly the one I am looking for.

Wtf brain, I did mean right not left haha. Not sure where you're located, but found one on ebay from France if that's any good: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KM11-TETE-BANDEAU-MUTATION-CHAOS-WARHAMMER-40000-BITZ-/200526380215?hash=item2eb04dbcb7:m:m_-Qy-kJ2VKx57BOAFh4nKQ

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

SRM posted:

This guy's seriously dope. I'd paint the base rim brown though - either a similar neutral brown to the fatigues he's wearing, or Rhinox Hide for a darker brown, but I feel like that could overpower the mini. I really like the look of him, that's a solid scheme.

Thanks man. And thanks for the tip on the base rim, I'll try a couple of different browns on the next one I finish and see how it looks.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Uroboros posted:

Feels like you are light on bodies, what are the mission types?

Also, formation finished!

Good job dude, these are rad as hell.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Finished up some more Jungle Tau, and a little display board for them. Quite pleased with these honestly.

*edit* I should also mention these are the first faces (Tau or otherwise) I've done!

GuardianOfAsgaard fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 16, 2016

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Uroboros posted:

Yeah I know this a pretty goonie debate over the proper markings and what not. I'll likely use the plumed helm and chest piece with the Ultima medallions hanging from the bottom for the champ, and the others I'll likely do either helmetless with laurels and extra purity seals and bling, or white/gold helms. I'm kind of torn, mainly cause I hate painting white.

Here's my command squad Ventris. I used one of the plumed helms for the champion which took a little modification to fit but looks rad I think, the apothecary and standard bearer are pretty much as they came apart from some ultramarines upgrade shoulder pads and stuff. I made Uriel Ventris with the black reach captain and some ultras parts, and Pasanius Lysane is kinda kitbashed with parts from lots of different kits.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Uroboros posted:

I noticed you got a heavy Flamer on your dude? Is that legal for Ultras?

As others have said, nope! I don't play though so it doesn't matter for me, and I wanted to make a fluff-accurate Sgt Pasanius, so heavy flamer and the robot arm (technically the wrong arm but gently caress trying to convert the arm holding the flamer to a bionic).

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Not too nazi-looking.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Jeez that set is actually a really good deal, you get a sanctum imperialis as well, for the price of 1 knight.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Finished some more jungle Pathfinders today:

Riptide in the works.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Made a thing.

VR is fun.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

DeadGame posted:

So is it Skitari-eye or what? I'm so confused.

It's either Skitari-eye or Skitari-ee depending on how you pronounce it, either is fine, just definitely not Skitar-ee.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Just finished my Uriel Ventris, 4th co. Captain:

Pretty happy with him, need to do his buddy Sgt Pasanius next, and I'll be doing a Land Raider mounted version of Ventris soon too since I just picked up this:

A kit I didn't even know existed until now!

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Thanks dudes :)

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

SteelMentor posted:

Those new guns for the Supremacy armour are mighty tempting though, although I'm not exactly sure what the hell those things are on the other shoulder of the railgun variant. AA missiles perhaps?

At first glance I assumed it was the magazine for the railgun?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Uroboros posted:

Unsure if I should paint my assault marine trim as second company or go with some red or green or an entirely different company I haven't painted yet.

Obviously I'm biased towards the 4th, but you could do some black 5th co. dudes? Or grey 8th for the reserve assault company.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
The 2 new Japanese themed (more-so than regular tau I mean) Tau vets they just put up are pretty sweet though, I might pick them up.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Zaphod42 posted:

I dunno, just feels like you have zero confidence in your sculpts at that point. And too lazy to paint one up nice to take a picture to show off?

GW minis are sold by the really amazing Heavy Metal paintjob pictures that they put on every box. That's smart but still lets you see what you're getting.

I prefer to be able to see what the sprue looks like before I buy, even, much less just what the mini looks like. If GW just put some epic painting on the cover of a box, no way would I take a chance on that. Guess you can look them up online these days but it just seems weird and cheap not to have a picture.

I guess scale modelling is so old it comes from when they didn't even have good cameras and that's how they made do, but get with the times.

All the model aircraft I've done have the usual painting on the front, but then pictures of the sprues and the painted model on the sides/back of the box. I guess it just depends if you buy it online or in a store as to whether you can see those pictures, but you can always look them up elsewhere if not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Zaphod42 posted:

The cowards! The fools!

Ahahahaha "Infiltrator Container" ?? And I thought the guns were dumb.

Check that twitter username again pal.

• Locked thread