Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Gonna be a while before I can get the new BRB (haven't even gotten the old one yet, it's still waiting to be sent to me).

Still not sure about this psychic phase business though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

jng2058 posted:

The new Psychic phase seems, from early reports, to slow down Psychic power use.

Do you mean reduces the number of times it is used, or temporally? Because the last thing 40k needs is to take more time.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

ghetto wormhole posted:

There's actually a DKoK armored company list in one of the IA books so I don't think it would be out of place at all to run a DKoK army with a ton of tanks.

Pretty sure DKoK runs with a lot of tanks and artillery in IA12

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The most important thing about that new stompa is that the main weapon is a gatling gun of gatling guns :orks101:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Sephyr posted:

Gah. Nothing cheaper points-wise? That's half an army by itself. drat Baneblades and their cost-benefit ratio.

Eldar can take any of their super heavies, so the Lynx, Scorpion, Cobra, Revenant, Phantom, Vampire Raider and Vampire Hunter can all be Lords of War. Not exactly sure what DE can bring, though I would assume the Tantalus is on the list, and the Revenant is despite it not being fluffy.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 27, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

MasterSlowPoke posted:

That's what we all said about the Wraithknight.

I seem to recall it not being "Nobody will take those", rather "Nobody will ever buy those" because of the obscene price

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'm told there are still 200 limited edition rulebooks unsold, and they aren't doing well on ebay either

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Strikes me as more likely that the current moulds for Sisters wore out a little while ago and they decided not to make a new set from the masters, and now that warehouse stock is into the margin of error they've been removed from sale, because a final sale on the remaining stock would criminally destroy the actual and perceived value of the finest miniatures the world has ever seen.

They were presumably waiting to see what the sales of the Sisters codex or whatever it was were like before they decided to make hard plastics or shelve the army permanently.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

SRM posted:

The tray selector on KR's site is really lovely but holy gently caress is it gonna cost an arm and a leg to give my Ultramarines a nice foam home.

Only the finest foam will serve for the Emperor's finest

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Boon posted:

I'm in line for some Eldar.

I would be second in line for Eldar and first in line for DA, but I suspect international shipping won't be a thing

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Squifferific posted:

I'm guessing they're paranoid about piracy, and really like the DRM controls that iTunes has. That's also probably why the iTunes versions of their codexes and things are more interactive and have fun features, while Android users are stuck with crappy ebooks. If they had half a brain, they looked at the cost of developing their own store thing and walked. If they had a whole brain, they would have made it anyway, made it cross platform, and made it awesome.

Smaller companies are doing it, and doing it well, so it really shouldn't be beyond GW to make a multiplatform system of interactive, living rulebooks.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Two Feet From Bread posted:

I can, to a limited extent, but it will affect shipping.

How limited is limited? If you can do Australia I'm gonna try and land rush the Deathwing and Rhino, but if you can't there's no point in me :f5: all day

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The Gate posted:

If they're not going to take customer feedback

If they're not taking any customer feedback then the rest is irrelevant - they've already failed at corporate 101

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Listening to consumer feedback isn't 'corporate 101', 'making money' is.

Try reading some best business practise for a change, there's a reason PR departments exist and are well funded in the corporate world. They failed at communication, and instead of learning how to utilise it properly they compounded that failure by shutting it down completely.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Cataphract posted:

Also, no other mini company comes close on plastic kits.

You know, as much as people say that, I still haven't actually seen it in the field. It seems more and more like fantasy reinforced by repetition.

Also, Apple does have competitors, like Samsung. Plenty of worldwide court battles in case you missed them. Apple also has an extensive PR strategy, though I'm not sure if it's in house or an agency.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Cataphract posted:

I'm not sure what it's like elsewhere but here the store managers are on salaries and pick their own hours. Working alone is tough, I'll grant, but there's plenty of that in retail.

I can't speak for privateer press but I've got reaper, mantic and CMON models sitting in front of me and the quality is nowhere near as good as GW. The edges are fuzzy, the joins don't sit flush and there's a lot of cleanup required.

The only hard plastic GW I have are Eldar, and they're honestly not anything to write home about, nor are the finecast examples I have.

quote:

Anyway, the point is that Apple and GW are similar players in different markets and they act very similarly.

No they don't? Apple engages with its community using exactly the same channels as all of the companies in that field, because they're all tech companies who recognise the value of the internet, chiefly because the products they are sell are the way people access the internet on a daily basis.

There's so little in common that I fail to see any reasonable way in which Apple and GW could be compared.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Cataphract posted:

I've mentioned a number. But the big ones, both have large market share, relatively elastic demand for product and don't compete on price. Leading to trade practices that seem odd when compared to traditional markets that deal with homogeneous products.

Apple doesn't have odd trade practises, and they don't have remotely similar PR practises, which was the entire pint of the discussion.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

You do know that those are, for the most part, donkeys years old yeah? Plastic Guardians and most of their vehicles were released 16 or more years ago.

I know they're old, which is why I'm more inclined to say that GWs quality varies amonst its catalogue as much as any other company. There seem to be a lot of other companies, albeit smaller ones with smaller catalogues, that match or exceed them in quality with individual minis. A bit disingenuous to continue to insist they make the best when it's not really the case anymore.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Please feel free to show examples of plastic wargame miniatures made to a better standard than GW ones.

Dreadmforge is the obvious one, and I'm pretty sure there's some high quality historicals going around now, but that's not really my area.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Fix posted:

Who can identify the problem with this promoted Unbound army?

Does an unnbound army still need a HQ, which that army lacks?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

These are only 10 pounds each and really only need a dip into the bitz box for spikes and banners to move them close enough to GW orks in style. A lot more affordable. Between them and Kromlech you should easily get enough high quality orks on the field for a whole lot less money.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

JerryLee posted:

Not sure why NTRabbit linked to the Deadzone (skirmish game, for those who don't know) orcs rather than Warpath

I figured the Deadzone ones were a little closer in size and look than the Warpath ones, but yeah the Warpath ones are far and away the cheapest way to make a horde

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

JerryLee posted:

Wouldn't 30K xenos be pretty much equivalent to 40K xenos?

I don't think 30k Tau have Ceramite-piercing spears in their tribal armies :v:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Esser-Z posted:

Hmm. It's partially started, but good point. I'll have to check on it again, haven't done a proper inventory!

Why take the the cannons out for conversions, when you can turn the entire ship into the OSS Gorkstitushion? :orks101:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Esser-Z posted:

Going to check out the condition of the Constitution kit after work, but any damage can easily be dealt with via Orky Bits. Operation Gorkstitushun is a go. I think I might mount it on tank treads. Mounting a ship on treads to be land pirates is very Orky.

Don't forget that every ship needs a Kaptin, and every Kaptin needs his crew o' boyz :orks101:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Raphus C posted:

What are the minimum wages of the two countries in question?

This always has been, and always will be a poo poo and baseless way to defend extreme markups on products in Australia, and really any other country. The exact same logic says that all the cheap Chinese poo poo America is addicted to should be 5x the price because hey, the American slave wage is much higher than Chinese one.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jun 17, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

TheChirurgeon posted:

That said, not producing plastics in China probably cuts down on the amount of counterfeiting they have to deal with significantly.

You mean the part where practically everything GW and FW makes is readily available from China for 1/3 of the price, and the process is so well organised that any of the new Ork items should be available for purchase about 1-2 months after their official retail release?

I'm not sure that moving their own production to China could actually increase the amount of counterfeiting from what it is right now.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

TheChirurgeon posted:

It could always be worse, and the counterfeit items be of a higher quality. Think less "recasting" and more "stealing the moulds."

Well, I guess the only way it could be worse is if the counterfeiters were actually selling injection moulded ABS counterfeits instead of resin recasts of hard plastic parts, their resin reproductions of finecast are already significantly higher quality, and the Forgeworld copies are on par with the originals or better.

Edit: Here, have some WIP Gorgon Terminators

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 17, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I've caught English trains before, they're wonderful! No, really!

You know, if it wasn't for my shitberg employers becoming ex-employers and forcing me to cancel I'd have been in Europe with nothing to do for 2 weeks between a wedding and a convention at the end of August, I could easily have come.

gently caress the corporate world :argh:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

What sort of demon is that? Is it some sort of generic Undivided genus of demon that happens to be Nurgle alligned?

He takes after his bloodthirster father, but was raised Nurgle by his Great Unclean One mother after the divorce. It was a rough fit at times but, sometimes a greater demon just needs to deal with what life sends his way, you know?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Slimnoid posted:

Big green space soccer hooligans who wear living organisms as hair and use teeth as currency CLEARLY should be grimdark hard-edge bullshit.

Isn't part of the charm of Gork and Mork that there's no discernible difference between the two, and noone can decide which one is the kunnin one? Declaring them one way and then stating Gork is the war god and the popular one takes some of the fun out of it surely

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The Warboss edition of the codex is going to be £100/$165USD/$180AUD. That's some coin for just a book.

Edit: It's the codex plus a supplement. Released at the same time.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 20, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I think PeterWeller's on to something with the Lord of War slot for apex characters.

It's following on from all of the Primarchs being Lords of War in 30k I suspect.

Except the Primarchs are loving beastly.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 20, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

At least Black Library loving up the release means people have real details from the codex to bitch about for a week and a half instead of contradictory made up rumours in the usual places? :shrug:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Next oldest after those two is Dark Eldar I believe, then Grey Knights, then Necrons. Those are the last 5th codexes.

Enentol posted:

Fingers crossed for plastic Sisters next?

Too much money to tool when they don't have a guaranteed return, I'd say.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

:swoon: Must have

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

waah posted:

Yeah, I would cry if they made a Dawn of War/Dota hybrid.

I would be surprised if someone hadn't pitched one to them already.

And then had it fall apart when GW refused to accept the RMT profits were meant to go to the developer instead of them.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

SRM posted:

Well, right now people are just spitballing in the thread. Some people like MOBA ideas, the rest of us pray the series doesn't go down that route into a stupidly crowded market of samey games.

However, Sega has Relic under their wing right now, and they also have Creative Assembly who are making a Warhammer Fantasy Total War-style game. It's reasonable to think that Sega and GW would try to keep multiple GW properties under one publisher, but we don't really know. There was work being done on DoW3 back before THQ went under, but nothing's really come up since.

This was posted a while ago, but who knows:

I thought so too, but I've since been informed that GW did not continue the 40k licence with Relic under Sega despite their best attempts, and instead are farming it out for a bunch of terrible shovelware for mobile. Sega only has the Fantasy license.

Best hope for that unannounced title is for Homeworld 3, where we pretend the dismal story from Homeworld 2 never happened.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 26, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Saalkin posted:

Gearbox owns homeworld.

:negative:

Then hopefully they're goin back to what made Homeworld, Company of Heroes and Dawn of War 1 & 2 great, forgetting the lovely writing, cold war propaganda, dodgy gameplay and DLC mania that made Homeworld 2 and Company of Heroes 2 so bad, and making a wonderful new IP for us :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Dawn of War was essentially my first exposure to 40k, it was an excellent RTS and it's why I'm here now

• Locked thread