Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Glad I bought a Thunderhawk for my 30k marines before the Roboutified Thunderhawk Bloodfire Deathkill Pattern comes out in plastic.

JBP fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

What happened to the Ork rules I only play Ultramarines versus Ultramarines?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It's super poo poo to make a faction like Orks in a game you play against other people that is doomed to lose unless you ask to other guy to forge a narrative (and you will probably still lose because he's playing Space Wolves).

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

LingcodKilla posted:

Hix and Pan are not being serious. They've been trolling like that for a little bit.

Oh I thought Orks were genuinely not very good now. I haven't played them since last edition so I've got no idea and I have been misled by forums posters/wider internet.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I am going to assume they're not as good as other factions but a wily gamer might make them win, which is more or less where they were when I last encountered Orks. Why are they considered weak now? Too many points for not enough t4 bodies?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Is there a link to the new Necromunda? When I google new Necromunda it comes up with nonsensical results.

Ah right, it's Shadow War: Amageddon.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Zaphod42 posted:

Hey I primed some models one color but then decided I kinda wanna go with a different color scheme, and it would be faster and look better if I could prime in a different base color... is it safe to throw on a second layer of primer, with no other paint, or should I look into stripping these first to make sure the detail doesn't get too obscured? :ohdear:

Yeah that's cool, will build some tooth on the paint and make your life easier when layering later as long as you keep it thin and careful. Only thing is if you want to prime white and they're black now you'll want to do multiple fine runs. If you want to prime darker colour or black over some lighter poo poo go nuts.

e: on the detail front, your primer can isn't laying down a heap of paint so it's going to be fine until you get out your Mattel paint kit and blob on your favourite oil colours.

ee: fuckin double edit. If you are going into a lighter colour over a dark one you are about to unlock my terrible secret which is that I prime everything black, then i reprime over with colour or white with top down spray creating highlights before I've even done any work.

JBP fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 29, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Zaphod42 posted:

That's what I thought, it should be okay. They're red now and I'm thinking about going gold instead, which should be fine. I was just worried about it being too thick, but without actual paints I figured just an extra layer of primer wouldn't hurt. Just wanted to double check with somebody for reassurance before I start painting these guys and end up wanting to re-do the whole thing.

You know what, red is a great base colour for golds. What are you painting? It might be worth just leaving that red base and getting to work over the top of it since metal can be kind of poo poo to work with (this may have changed I am not always up to date on the new high tech paints).

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Uroboros posted:

I plan on waiting till Monday to hear back from some others but honestly 160 a pod matches pretty close to anything of high quality that I've seen in the past. $40 for the model itself. Assembly, Painting, Magnetization, and shipping. Consider the alternative is spending approx six months doing them myself.

I'll be selling my 5 older pods which go for 80-100 on EBay even at a lower quality, along with unpainted stuff that I've collected and never will paint. I look at it more as swapping poo poo I don't want for stuff that I do more than dropping a flat G on 40k.

Dude get a cheap airbrush kit and do them in one day with basic highlights then pick out the metals over time and wash them. A mate of mine did 5 rhinos in one day last year (all slightly better than tabletop quality thanks to the airbrush being easy mode) then he detailed them over time and they look sweet.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Do space marines have dicks or do they just identify as male?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

How come the apothecary is getting it out of their chest then? That's gross as hell.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Hustlin Floh posted:

Isn't Lorgar supposed to be at least somewhat "dusky"?

He's somewhat middle eastern in appearance for obvious reasons.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Munchables posted:

Howdy folks, I'm totally new to this hobby, I've seen all the TTS shorts, and I've been interested for a while, but I've never seen a match. I recently bought the Space Marines Codex, and I was wondering if there's an overall rulebook that I should grab. I'm into the salamanders so I might grab some basic marine squads and paint em green, but I was also thinking of doing a custom chapter with MK III dudes or maybe some Stormcast Eternals with guns. Any advice/tips would be appreciated, tia :)

Take your codex and any other material purchased thus far and burn it in a steel bin and forget you ever did this.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Galaspar posted:

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure these were from the second release of Space Hulk, circa 96, and also sold separately. The swivel waists give it away, and the blue plastic was standard.

This kind of makes me want to do a general minis antiques roadshow thread.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Phyresis posted:

it's not impossible to imagine that GW has seen the light regarding free rules but it sure is difficult!

Theyre going to release the whole lot for free on an app, going completely digital and then when you play games it will be $0.45 per hour to unlock stats.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Spent all night on this bad boy. Starting to look exactly as imagined, like a hoplite striking downward from a hop.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

OhDearGodNo posted:

How are you supporting it, I assume maybe a red through the left leg?

Rod through the base, through a hunk of excess resin which will get incorporated into the scenic base and then about an inch up into the leg. Then I've used Araldite to make the rod and base part secure. It wobbles slightly, but that's mainly because I haven't glued the resin chunk to the model so I can paint it all seperately and because it's a big model with some give.

It's a loving monster. Great model.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Zuul the Cat posted:

I'm debating what to pick up next for my AdMech. Kastelan Robots or a Knight?

I mostly play against friends, and I'm reticent to plop a knight down against my bros. Especially when I have 3 Dunecrawlers already.

Just get a knight they look loving cool.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I don't want to bombard the thread (maybe when it's painted) but loving :drat: do I love this model and the fact that I didn't gently caress it up.

E: hehehe was displaying in life size

JBP fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Apr 10, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

muggins posted:

Are you just gonna do the invisible shield thing? I feel like it should be connected with acrylic or cellophane or something. The invisible shield looks so dumb

I really like it. I feel like the generator in the middle just activates against attacks like a giant bug zapper. Maybe it generates outward force around the whole front half, who knows. I'm going to light it up a lot but I don't like the models I've seen that fill the gaps and don't replace the entire shield.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Looks like I'm going to be buying another Thunderhawk because I have brain damage.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Make a lancer with two spears and make it looks like he's twirling them.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I ordered some *looks over shoulder* Chinese resin last year. Took about three months to arrive. Was of a high quality.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sanford posted:

About six months ago i created a reddit account and posted a page from The Lost and The Damned at the request of a friend. I logged into the account today for the first time since then and discovered I missed... something? Wall of text incoming!

I don't understand what's happening in those words but I feel like at the end someone's arguing in a tone that indicates that he believes the emperor is a real guy.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

My buddy and I are playing kill team games to dictate bonuses and changes in our major 30k campaign games. For instance I wanted to use my knight lancer in a game but I needed to secure access to the noble house and get my EC negotiator to them. He wanted to run a Xiphon (our first flyer in a game) so we played that his fists needed to secure a pad from local traitor guard. Basically anything new or seemingly uncounterable (I have no skyfire, the Xiphon hauled rear end big time in our game) requires a kill team mission prior to the main game. Unlocking a unit or something else this way is majorly fun and the kill team games feel more tense than the main event because you reaaaally want to use that new model and losing is like ah gently caress.

It's also a good way to buy and paint some models you wouldn't normally integrate into an army like guard/auxilia, another legion/chapter or just some cool aliens you don't want an army of but like the look of. I'm tempted to make a necron team so we can play guard v necrons and basically play Terminator: The Game.

JBP fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 13, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Safety Factor posted:

:eyepop:

Play Lightning Strike/Victory is Vengeance out of book III. Kill Team is real bad.

Yeah we do. I say kill team, but the last thing we did used SW:A rules and we also use some necromunda rules. I just call everything kill team :nyan:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

RagnarokAngel posted:

Ynnead is supposedly offering a better solution to the whole corruption of slaanesh thing than any of the eldar have come up with so far. It's definitely a bit "too good to be true" So who knows!

Is there a reason the Ynnead thing looks Slaaneshi or what?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Is Ynnead going to be Slaanesh cutting out the middle man and going direct to the soul farm?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

All of my terrain and some scenic bases are hunks of resin from FW products, so probably the most obscenely priced scenery you can get.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

muggins posted:

those look great. What minis are they?

Imperial preachers. They're ordo hereticus models now I think.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Agree regarding DOW3. The interface for the game is lovely, is looks boring, there is no feedback to the player. The whole thing is kind of muted and gameplay hasn't changed since the PAX demo I played. Will not buy.

It's just a lovely RTS with ham skin.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

See I loved dow2 because it was like playing commandos or something and I prefer single to multi. I got a lot of mileage out of dow2.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sounds like I'm about to get shafted and I'm not sure why.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I hope they don't ruin 30k with their new rules.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Can't wait to straddle my couch like a jetbike and yell "for the emperor" while I waggle a lamp around and give all my guys invulnerable saves.

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

fuckin lol at this level of cuckoldry

gently caress off.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

So what's the deal with the new space marine? Do I need to replace all my space marines now is that why everyone is going crazy?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The new GW is meant to be a nudge nudge wink wink joke but it reads to me more like "we are just going to do more stupid poo poo in a new box so hang the gently caress on".

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I still don't know how assault works and just make it up as I go.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Look at all the bad opinions ITT. It is bonkers how good the Eldar Aspect Warriors hold up with being ancient sculpts. Not that I wouldn't love a plastic kit.

I am excited that I may be able to play my Eldar at my local game store once the new rules come out. The are broken as poo poo now, and it is awful.

Yeah I think the current aspect warriors are sick sculpts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

For_Great_Justice posted:

Yeah I'm a little not happy. I was going to get into a EC Kakophoni but no reason to now. An gently caress if they remove Slaanesh I wouldn't ve surprised even with it being key to the entire EC an Fulgrim and all Eldar.

What indication is there that Slaanesh is being removed? I play 30k EC and I'm hoping for some 40k models since they're doing more chaos marines.

• Locked thread