Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

ghetto wormhole posted:

Is the triangle a safety? Brother-captain Negligus is known for accidentally firing his weapon.

Selector switch. Firing modes are Cleanse and Purge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Bolters fire self-propelled mini-rockets that don't need casings, but they have them anyway because a rain of spent brass looks cool.

The only logic 40K weapons operate on is the logic of AWESOME.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Lungboy posted:

Surely you jest?!

Salvatore is probably the best hack hacking out licensed trash fiction these days. But nerds are worse than hipsters when it comes to making GBS threads on popular things for being popular, and Salvatore's signature character is hugely popular.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I think it's an alright price if you don't already have a good bits box. Because after one or two of these kits, you'll have a good bits box.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Hollismason posted:

It really doesn't make sense that their initiative 2. Actually I don't think they always were initiative 2 either.

I'm pretty sure they have always been I2. They used to have the same profile as WHFB Orcs, trading a point of I for an extra point of T. 3E 40K is when their profile was changed to WS4 BS2 A2. It makes sense from the perspective that Orks are supposed to be less agile and coordinated than Humans.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

S.J. posted:

They've always been I2, but Furious Charge used to give +1 I on the charge.

Yeah, I miss my zerkz swinging at I5 and chewing up some marines before getting hit in return. I don't think it's a real problem for Orks. Most stuff that can put a dent in a mob of boys is I4 or better.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I'm guessing it's the start of a trend, and the biggest baddest special characters will all become lords of war.

Apollodorus posted:

I finally finished painting my Eldar tanks. The Wave Serpent was from the Eldar battleforce while the Falcon was one of the minis I inherited from an older cousin of mine who used to play. Here's what the Falcon originally looked like (on the right):

And here it is now, on the left, with its Wave Serpent buddy:

A few more pics:

Still got plenty more models to paint, though - but at least now I know I can finish what I start!

These look really nice. I love the Alaitoc scheme and you did it perfectly.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Rulebook Heavily posted:

At least he's not in competition for HQ slots, but does the Orc unique FOC even have a LoW slot?

Any army can have a LoW, right? Isn't that unqiue FOC just a detachment that can be taken along with other detachments, lords of war, and formations?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Lungboy posted:

Necromunda.

Hah. Man, I love Necromunda, but it is straight up 2E 40K with even more randomness, hardly a better system than current 40K.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

S.J. posted:

It was an invul against shooting only IIRC

I could have sworn it was a 5+ cover save.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Crosspost from the oath thread, I converted Reaper Bones Wyrmgear into a Black Legion Maulerfiend:

This looks great. I like how sinewy it is. It fits with the maulerfiend's speed.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

You could maybe use the Forgeworld Space Marine breacher shields.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

AbusePuppy posted:

Yeah, but do you actually ever see Hormagaunts on the table? I don't, because you can't ever afford to be out of Synapse with them for even a turn because the unit will cripple itself half the time.

More like a little more than a quarter of the time. The IB tables are lovely, no doubt. But half the time when you fail the Ld check, your dudes are gonna be forced to do what they would do anyway. I still think Tyranids would be hugely improved by just making the tables go 1,2-5,6 instead of the current 1-3,4-5,6. Then losing synapse could possibly cripple you, but your dudes would more likely carry on with their jobs.

Mob rule is a hard nerf, but at least you can build your army in a way that mitigates its effects. And I can't help but love how downright fluffy it is. Instead of running or cowering, the boss or the boys in back bust some heads and the mob keeps rolling. It's just so much more flavor and color than simple fearless. Yeah, it's a kick in the nuts, but it's an Orky kick in the nuts. It's synechdoche for GW. Yeah it sucks, but I love it anyway. :v:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

It's foolish to be upset over the loss of ramshackle's S3 hits. That was a leftover from the 4E open topped rules. When 6E made open topped explosions S4, you knew it was only a matter of time before trukks came into line with every other open topped transport.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Power Player posted:

Which is fine, I understand that. But why didn't trukks get anything else other then a five-point reduction?

They did. They got some penetration protection from the new less entertaining ramshackle. They got useful boarding plank and free rokkit upgrades. They got expanded availability as dedicated transports.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Power Player posted:

The penetration protection probably would have been a good thing in editions without hull points. Free rokkit upgrade doesn't mean much, it's a BS2 non-linked rokkit. Doesn't really help with the whole "assault" thing. Boarding plank IS a good thing.

The pen protection is still a good thing. It won't stop your trukks from falling apart, but it may keep them from getting immobilized or exploded. The free rokkits along with all the other free and reduced price rokkits have the combined effect of letting orks spam a lot of S8 AP3, mitigating their poor BS, and giving trukks that have survived deploying their contents something to do.

Don't get me wrong, S3 aside, I too miss the old ramshackle chart. It was Orky as gently caress and gave trukks something special. But aside from the S3, losing it isn't really a nerf. For every time when your boys were flung closer to the enemy, there was a time when they lost all their forward progress. Trukks lost some flavor, but overall they didn't really get nerfed. They're not in the same boat as mob rule and deffrollas.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

It's not that tanks can't shoot at fliers, it's that template weapons can't shoot at them. If you have an all-lascannon Predator, it'll light up any poor sumbitch in the sky.

Well if it can hit that poor sumbitch at least. A lascannon pred is anti air of last resort.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Well technically, he can bring whatever he wants, but if he doesn't follow the detachment force orgs, his force is unbound and loses some benefits, like his troops will lose objective secured.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Speckled Jim posted:

I thought unbound just lets you mess around with the FOC and allies? Something like what hes done would be straight up messing with the rules of the codex. In particular "For each necron overlord in your army, the army can also include a royal court" I could be wrong, like i said im only just getting into 40k in general.

The Unbound rules are "simply use whatever units from your collection that you want." So I don't see why you couldn't take a court (or two or three or four or more!) without the appropriate overlord(s) and then split up the lords and crypteks into different squads. You'd still have to follow the rules for unit composition, so one squad of warriors couldn't have two models from the same court, but all you have to do to get around that is say that each lord or cryptek comes from a different court.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

raverrn posted:

But that's no Claw. That's a unit that isn't gonna do poo poo to poo poo. TrukMANZ forever.

It can score two objectives, screen your other stuff, throw extra bodies into important fights, and wipe out soft targets. It's not a bad way to spend 102 points as long as you don't see it as the core or backbone of your army.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

WAR FOOT posted:

It's okay, they can join Wyches in assaulting the bottom of the trashcan.

Hey! The one thing wyches are good at is assaulting walkers and land raiders. :v:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

It's 2, right? 1 for knocking 3 wounds off a LoW and (likely) 1 for warlord?

There are a lot more points to score in 7E missions, so if that's the case, it isn't too bad.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

You could mix in a few carbines if you just want to add some visual variety. WYSIWYG is no longer a hard and fast rule, and few opponents would mind if you said, "all these guys have rifles." Unmodeled or counts-as equipment is only a problem when it can cause your opponent confusion, which is why you want to either decide on loadouts or invest in magnets before you build your suits.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Post 9-11 User posted:

With rare exceptions, there has never been a restriction on one type of character type (jump pack, jump jet, bike, et cetera) joining another type such as Infantry. The restriction has always been that you must move at the speed of the slowest unit. Apparently, this means you can't even have a character at the back of the unit move 12" to the front even if he's still in coherency.

That restriction is gone too. P18: "Sometimes, a unit will contain models that move at different speeds. When this is the case, each model can move up to its maximun movement allowance so long as it remains in coherency."

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

somebody post the best way to pose space marines holding their guns two handed because holy gently caress this is annoying

Match the arms up in correct pairs. Glue the gun to one arm at the correct angle. Then glue both arms on the torso and glue the gun to the other arm. If you use the correct pairs, everything will hang in place. E: and use real plastic cement instead of super glue so you have some time to fiddle the angles before it all cures.

Unrelated, but what do you guys think about the Ork codex's organization? It seems to answer most of the codex org complaints by combining the beastiary with the army list and putting all the wargear and other stuff at the back with the reference section. I really like it, though it shortchanges individual unit fluff for giant photos of models.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Yeah, I think most of their stuff is hideous, but I'm glad there are people who like their stuff because that will hopefully keep them around long enough to start making good looking models.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

Yes, I really am that bad at painting. My hands shake something terrible.

Hopefully they don't get lost up their own rear end and start churning out poo poo like the Taurox though

I'd love for them to get to the point where they've produced so many quality vehicle kits that they have to start producing weird and pointless bullshit to fill out the release schedule. Hopefully their prices won't go through the roof on the way there.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Raptors are the dragster looking jobs, right? Those are rad and one of the reasons why I think Mantic has real potential. There's a lot of good stuff scattered through their lines, but I think it's mainly overwhelmed by the lame stuff.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

AbusePuppy posted:

I... I'm not sure I like it. It does mean a LOT more page-flipping, although they are at least nice enough to give you page references for everything. Still, the really short unit entries feel pretty weak overall (oh, hey, thanks for the half-page photoshop job of a model from each unit, that's something I couldn't see on the internet) and I find the army listing to be a lot harder to read overall. It's not catastrophic or anything, just annoying.

I do like that all of the wargear is together- the semi-arbitrary distinction between "unit-specific wargear" and "generic wargear" was always kinda weird before, because often enough there was not actually a difference, but a lot of other parts of it bother me.

Yeah, I think the page flipping will make writing a list more tedious. I do like the improved organization. They could kill two birds with one stone by going back to smaller art pieces and using the space to add unit fluff.

I do like that there is a page of fluff for each clan. One of the benefits of the reorganization seems to be more room for general faction fluff.

God, I feel like I just wrote a charm to summon the Snuggle Bear.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Well she's clearly insane. All Necrons are.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

It's a small consolation, but don't forget that pinned/gone to ground units can no longer fire overwatch. And overwatch still doesn't trigger morale or pinning checks.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I had a really good time trying to take apart that ork horde formation from the Ghaz supplement today. My buddy loaded the unit to the gills with toys and armor and the fearless boss pole and attached a painboy to it. It was insane, and my 1500 point all comers Eldar really didn't have the firepower to stop it. I had a good time feeding it sacrificial units while trying to maneuver the rest of my army out of the way. But my maneuvering just didn't matter. He had great luck with all his movement, run and assault rolls, and with the horde's giant footprint, I could never actually get that far from it. It was the orkiest loving thing, just this unstoppable wall of green that I could dance around some but eventually just overwhelmed anything it got close to.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

The "current corporate mantra" has been the GW mantra since it was a couple of dudes casting minis for D&D. GW has always been models first, rules second.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

Yeah I know it is, it's from Victoria who make all the not-IG, I just thought it was a neat idea with thus far nice execution and figured it was easy to take further. While the Patton is historically suitable to the Catachans and the Sherman isn't, I'm not sure it's as easily turned into a 40k vehicle, which is why I said Sherman. The Patton series are too modern in appearance, IG tanks are all about sponsons, tall slab sides and chunky turrets slammed on top.

I think a Grant or Stuart would be a better starting point. They are even more slab-sided and have big hull guns.

I have a feeling that if you really want T-34 looking Ruses, you can get 80-90% of the way there by just putting Rus turrets on Chimera hulls.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I don't think a 40K style Sherman would look that different from a Rus, actually. The front would have more slope and the tracks wouldn't go all the way around, but aside from the hull emplacement and the comically over-sized gun barrels, they have a fairly similar profile. The Rus is just stubbier.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

The T1 Heavy Tank would certainly suit purposes for an American tank, but they never saw combat and most people have no idea what they are or what they look like, so they won't have the same impact. I guess an M5 Stuart would be flat and distinctive enough. Not the M3 Stuart though.

Could always try an M3 Lee, they're goofy enough to be 40k :v:

Nah, it should be the M3 Stuart, and it should be able to take PotMS as an upgrade. That way you can field Haunted Tanks.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Post 9-11 User posted:

When did this become the H*istory Channel thread?

*H is for Hitler, all day every day, Hitler, aliens, alien Hitlers.

Why are you complaining about sweet tank chat?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I think it would look a lot better if it was posed as if it was leaping forward instead of sorta toppling over.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

mmj posted:

I think they tried for option A and got option B. I could see a very similar model looking neat enough but this one probably ended up going bad during the actual modeling.

Yeah, you can see that in the mockup the pose was originally going to be more dynamic.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Looking at Commander Dante, he boasts a higher Initiative than other Chapter Masters, but he's rocking an Unwieldy melee weapon. Is it just high for the purposes of taking Initiative tests?

Dante's stats predate power axes becoming unwieldy. He struck at full I in 5E.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

AgentF posted:

Nah I don't have it either and tbh I have no intention of buying it. We can stick with 6th or the Garrison wargaming club (Modbury Heights) has a club copy that we can use for a learning game.

You should at least use the 7E setup method where you place objectives before determining deployment zones. It's much better than 6E's "tailor the battlefield" setup method.

• Locked thread