Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I've never heard a good argument about academics that began with complaints about rote memorization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

the problem isnt math the problem is we dont teach kids basic problem solving skills

But we do.

Some kids are dumb.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

DayReaver posted:

Probably the best thing that's going to come out of CC is getting to listen to all the fucktard halfwits complain for the next decade because they can't comprehend what's essentially just an externalization of the process any 2nd grader uses in their head to solve basic arithmetic. The right is going to be up in arms.

Like with most things, it's probably going to be the poor children who suffer when their parents can't help them with their basic math problems because what the gently caress is this.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Kaedric posted:

I majored in mathematics and ended up taking a physics course that I only attented the tests for. I didn't know the formulas that we were supposed to memorize, but the test had graphs on it showing what was going on in the problems, so I used calculus to solve them. I failed the test because I didn't write down the formula I used :I

thats cool bro you're so special and unique. don't have to do all that lovely "busy work" like "attend class" that everyone else has to do cause you're so smart and cool.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

babypolis posted:

the only ppl complaining are the stupid parents actually

uneducated parents not being able to help their statistically worse-off kids with basic math skills is good because

by the way it's all algorithms this is just a different one.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Lightanchor posted:

I had to look it up: http://www.marioncs.org/webpages/jreesor/news.cfm

Hidden Partner: number pairs that make a given sum (Example: in the number 5, 2 and 3 are hidden partners)

Number Bond: visual way to break apart a number into part, part, whole

Cube stick: ?Squares in a row?

when i was in elementary school and they introduced fractions i had a hard time remembering if the numerator was on top or bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

That Milgram guy was saying that the common core standard for college readiness was passing Algebra II, and that he had to fight for them to change it from Algebra I. And that is bad.

• Locked thread