Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bobfather posted:

1 punch knocks out all of your teeth. Your eyes implode. Then your head explodes. I honestly can't think of a worse way to go, even as far as GoT deaths go.

Two words:
Flayed Man.

10 minutes of that and you'd be begging for the Mountain to smash your head like it's scanners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Steve Yun posted:

If I had any complaint, it would be that they could've done more in this episode to play up Gregor's size and strength before the fight. Better camera angles to play up his size, having noisier armor, etc. When he makes his entrance it feels... slightly underwhelming. There are a few shots from bad angles and it makes him look like an ordinary 6 foot tall guy, like one where Pycelle is standing closer to the camera and therefore taller looking.

You know I was just saying that to a friend.

If this show had ended with a Viper victory, everyone would have said "Man the Mountain was a disappointment! Huge and lumbering and easily worked left and right! What a pussy." loving nobody will say that now.

EDIT: Was I the only one that felt like I was watching a Astaroth vs Kilik battle for a while? I have to admit it made me chuckle. Half the time those matches ended with a 1% life Astaroth just instagibbing his enemy, too.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oh yeah: Bronn would have won. He could probably have out moved the Mountain just as well as the Viper did, honestly, and get his blows even - even with a sword. But Bronn wouldn't stop fighting to show boat, and would have not called it over until The Mountain's head was in two pieces.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Riled Shareef posted:

The big episode 9 shocker better be a WIN for the good guys. At least a little bit? Please? Maybe have the Night's Watch prevail? :unsmith:

I kind of want the Night's Watch about to get overrun and that's when the huge-fuckoff-of-all-white-walker armies joins the party. Would make for an interesting.. change of situation.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone bitching about this outcome, let me ask you one thing:

When was the last time you watched a TV show with a BIG IMPORTANT SHOWDOWN (TM) where you really, truly did not know what was going to happen?

Going into the fight I gave the Viper a 50/50 odd. I honestly did not know. There was enough to support both from a writing perspective. I was on watching a TV show, but on the edge of my seat because I had no idea what would truly happen next.

Other than Breaking Bad, that's never happened, and even there.. we know some things. We know Walt wouldn't die, because that would be the show. There were rules even in that surprising, awesome piece of TV.

GoT has no rules. At all.

Now I'm not trying to knock BB at all, and in fact, it is probably the superior show in many ways. And I wouldn't want this in every kind of TV I watch, either. But as characters keep on ticking in shows like The Walking Dead and the aforementioned BB off the air, holy poo poo am I glad there's something still being made that really can surprise the hell out of me and keep me guessing.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Traitorous Leopard posted:

In all my years of watching, I've learned this about myself: it's always the "dehumanizing" movie/tv deaths that really rub me the wrong way. It doesn't even have to be gory - just seeing some dude get crushed underfoot by a giant monster just bothers me. Obviously we associate people's faces (and especially eyes!) as part of their human-ness, so Oberyn's death made me extremely uncomfortable. It didn't help that he was screaming and writhing in agony right before it happened. Maybe I'm not cut out for this show.

I think it had to be ugly.

To show him die a noble warrior from an honorable blow.. it wouldn't have sold the crushing unfair, brutal injustice taking place. It had to be terrible for it was apart of something terrible. There are times the show crosses over into shock gore for shock gore's sake, but I think this served the story.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

John Charity Spring posted:

Breaking Bad had a similar thing midway through the show, for me:

Hank being ambushed by the cousins in the parking lot. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time and had no idea how it was going to play out.

Great example. And an amazing scene. Though it turned into way more of a fist pumping HOLY poo poo YES! than things worked out here.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cybershell posted:

Oberyn has all this flavor and nuance to him. He's just so full of life. And Gregor isn't. And you never saw Oberyn show any fear or doubt, and he seemed so masterfully in control, and then he dies screaming and terrified. It wasn't like he got stabbed through the chest. It was a grisly, face-crushing, ruining way to die. He completely lost any personality and died in total terror. It's like, for a moment, you think this true character of a man is going to triumph and then the cold hard edge of reality cuts him down and shatters his confidence. His means of death too was like.. permanent ruination before the end came.

And that is why I think it had to be shot this way and this is a honest example where I will say "the gore was needed for the story." You had to see it just like this, to truly be hit with the moment.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BubbleGoose posted:

I respectfully disagree. I mean, I accept that it's there, because that's obviously what they went with. But I don't think it served the story any more than just implying the death by cutting away or giving him a quicker--though no less brutal--death. There are other ways of making the point of brutal injustice than just 'pop man's head like a grape'.

I think the point if it did what it set out to do is the reaction. This wasn't "gently caress yes!" or "Haha that was crazy!" gore like you'd see in a slasher movie, or even some of the more over the top kills in GoT (Golden crown, anyone?) This was horrifying, made you wince, and look back in shock and horror. Many people have that shell shocked feeling after.

None of that would have happened without being VERY explicit.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Macrame_God posted:

All I can say is that if they kill Tyrion then I'm giving up on everyone and rooting for the Whitewalkers.

Said it before and I'll say it again. At this point I think the most satisfying finale would be two episodes of Arya reenacting the plot of Fantasy Kill Bill 20 years later. In particular after seeing so many avenging types die horribly.

Every single person would be convinced she was going to die, but let her keep winning. It'd be hilarious. I can't help but feel she's destine to try to become a face dancer in the end anyway.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

This sums it up good. I think it also matches up with Tyrion's beetle genocide speech. He tried to find reason for all this death and suffering, and there was no answer.

GoT is pretty nihilistic. It's not that the good guy always loses, it's just that sometimes he does and sometimes he doesn't and there's really no rhyme or reason for it. That said evil prevails more often than not simply because it's not held back by morality. That's not the story you get in most popular media.

In the same episode we have a guy who:

Murders and flays people. Castrates a rival house's family and turn him into a human dog. Tortures and randomly murders for no reason what so ever, because he finds it fun.

He gets:

A huge promotion, accepted by his family, and everything he wanted.

EDIT: I hope this doesn't count as a spoiler but in the book please tell me this fight was from Obreyn's POV? Somehow I can only picture it written that way.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jun 2, 2014

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BubbleGoose posted:

Well, I guessed it worked for you and others. But I wasn't shell shocked, just disgusted. As in 'that was disgusting and tasteless.' I could have done without because it didn't add anything to me but sensationalist tv. If others took away something from it, fine. I'm just not convinced there was anything more going on than exploitation. For instance, many viewers were put off by the Ramsey/Reek torture scene. I wasn't particularly bothered by it, but I could respect others not takin well to it.

I actually kind of find those Ramsey scenes fascinating because of reaction, not because of the scenes.

Theon was a MAJOR rear end in a top hat and we all wanted horrible loving things to happen to him. Then when that came, a lot of people were like "This is what you get, rear end in a top hat!" Then as it went on.. and on.. and on.. well, it was interesting to see when people really said "Enough!" when faced with a proverbial wishlist of things happening to him. [ED: Also amusing is because of those horrible things people are now generally sympathetic to Theon, despite the fact he murdered people who considered him family and random children, and the whole reason he is in this mess is he stabbed his best friend in the back, also helping lead to his death.]

I can definitely see an argument for sensationalist TV, in particular when the show itself is very open to that more than a few places. But I really do think there was some legit artistic merit going on with this scene too. They wanted to punch the viewer in the gut, and to do that, they had to take off the gloves.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jun 2, 2014

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

davidspackage posted:

like the completely uninteresting Grey Worm/Missandrei romance

I don't know. The implications of it made me interested, but not as a pure romantic subplot.

A) Are the Unsullied now going to get interested in romantic interests? Won't this lead to a total collapse of their strict way of life?
B) What kind of creepy obsession could build up in a trained super soldier that can't do anything about his longings, really

Long story short I could see this realistically backfiring horribly and leading to some serious setbacks on that side of the world. Maybe that's not what they are going for, and it's just going to be an innocent romance, but when the hell has that happened on GoT before?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

No More Toast posted:

But hey, at least we had a heartwarming moment of Ramsay finally being appreciated by his father. :unsmith: The Boltons are both terrific in their roles and Theon's actor portrays a broken man so well; he really looked so lost and terrified when the lead iron born said he wouldn't surrender.

I honest to God thought he was going to piss himself in that scene. It was hilarious, in a morbid kind of way.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Darko posted:

Hannibal. And that's having read the books the show is a prequel to, making it even weirder since it SHOULD give most of the characters plot armor (it doesn't, really - only for a few) :)

I've been hearing lots of good things about this show, and now I'm going to have to check it out.

Darko posted:

It wasn't a super move comeback at the end of a heated fight, it was Vega dancing around taunting too much in Zangief's throwing reach even though a piledriver would take off his remaining health, if you must use a video game analogy.

Still holding the Kilik-Astaroth dynamic fits this fight better, if you're comparing it to games. Right down to not just the styles involved but the fact that many overconfident Kilik players would let that one good opening in and then lose abruptly and suddenly for it.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 2, 2014

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I kinda feel better now.

In another reality, this guy is totally playing Hodor instead. I could totally see him in the Hodor role, he just doesn't come off mean enough to be The Mountain.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bobo the Red posted:

And now she's sent off the only guy who keeps her from doing insane things. Gonna go great!

She still has Barriston. He's also a voice of reason, perhaps even more so. If something happens to him now, though, she's up poo poo creek without a paddle.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Maxwell Lord posted:

I honestly wasn't that attached to Oberyn. He was kinda cool, sure, but I'm more concerned about what this means for Tyrion.

I just hope the actor gets some serious recognition out of it. He really sold it quick.

This could be the kind of career-launchpad role for him, honestly; he stuck around long enough to make a very positive impression with everyone, then checks out before he gets typecast or tied to the show as a supporting character.

PT6A posted:

I'm surprised at all the people who complain that GRRM kills off sympathetic characters too much. Yes, he does it quite a bit, but there's also a lot of bad people that die in fairly agonizing ways, too.

Because 99% of people watching are used to stories where the good guys win in the end, the bad guys are punished, and every death on the good guy's side was a noble sacrifice for a good cause, if they happen at all.

To keep up the video game comparisons rampant in the last few pages, Game of Thrones is a Roguelike: Death is permanent and come come swiftly and gives not a single drat if it's all that fair, making every victory and dodge many times more tense.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 2, 2014

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Max posted:

As much as they might hate it, fighting in a trial by combat is a glorified gentleman's duel, so even if a prince dies, it wouldn't grant you a cause for war.

Lopping off the head of the king's sister definitely is though.

Also this is a character who lived and died by the motto how "Dorne doesn't hurt little girls," and obviously detested using children like that. I couldn't see his wife going back and being like "Well gently caress every single one of his last wishes, kill the bitch."

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Xealot posted:

But The Mountain *did* explicitly admit to murdering Elia and her children, and that's something Dorne can respond to.

Pretty sure it can be played off as "Dying rear end in a top hat saying hurtful things to the guy that left him with mortal wounds, while crushing his skull in." It'd be easy to play it off as nothing more than using the thing Obreyn kept shouting against him in his dying breath and for Twyinn to claim he had nothing to do with it.

So all they're left with, still, is accusations.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mcbexx posted:

Edit: That was some first grade scream queen poo poo Ellaria's actress pulled off there.

Yeah, giving props to her. That scream sounded absolutely authentic.

I think what sold it was she wasn't going for "horrifed scream" like most actress do; namely screaming like they are scared. This was infused with a "watching your whole life implode" kind of desperation that made it work.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lena Headey is awesome. Which is ironic because the first time I saw her was as Sarah Connor in TSCC, and I thought she was the most miscast/weakest on the show. But since then between stuff like this and movies like Dredd, she's totally won me over.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BubbleGoose posted:

What's so impressive is that he made himself a fan favorite in such little time. I really want to see him in more stuff.

You know, this is really out of left field, but he's the kind of actor that Marvel tends to grab up: Notably charismatic, up and coming but also not overly well known. I'm not sure who they could cast him as, but I have a feeling the actor would just.. click in that environment, really well.

I don't know why exactly, but it really wouldn't shock me if it happened in a couple years. Maybe it's the fact I could picture him delivering some really corny banter but sell it.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BubbleGoose posted:

I've been doing research on the Mexican cartel. gently caress yes does George have a point.

A lot of South America drug cartels routinely do poo poo that make the Lannisters or even the Boltons look timid, it's true.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Doflamingo posted:

I can see him being the new Tony Stark once RDJ calls it quits.

Did they ever end up casting anyone for Dr. Strange yet?

I don't know much about that character but he seems like he has the look down absolutely pat.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 2, 2014

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mcbexx posted:

I took it she bursted out laughing that the Hound wouldn't get his bounty after dragging her rear end across half of the kingdom (even though they warmed up to each other).

I don't know how you got that.

It's plainly obvious: Every single time she tries to reunite with family, ANY family, even family she doesn't know.. they die right before she gets there. She has been on a non-stop quest to get to people who drop dead before she gets there.

Once is a tragedy, twice is horrible, but after a while.. yeah. That was a well earned moment of "gently caress it!" manic laughter, and pretty hilarious.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

But with Yara they built up the whole rescue operation at the end of last season like it was going to be a big thing, but then it ended up just coming randomly in the middle of the season in a rather anticlimactic way, and then she just gives up and goes home?

You could easily take that scene and after the smash cut start dubbing in Monty Python "Run away! Run away!" audio and it'd fit perfectly.

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

I hope there's one of those YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE, THEON scenes, i like those

In other shows this would result in Theon getting triumphant revenge.

Here he'd probably poo poo himself and cry for help.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I'm guessing this is how it plays out more in the book; with the Mountain getting increasingly pissed off instead of just not giving a poo poo like he did in the show. Probably due to acting range. Still drat good comic version of the events, which is ironically less gory than the show execution.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CuddleChunks posted:

-- an excerpt from HBO's Game of Thrones - the Book by Alan Dean Foster

I was mostly thinking of that because it'd been interesting to read all the righteous fury and, from his perspective, total and complete confidence that he was going to win, only to end screaming as his head is popped like a zit. The confusion / shock of the sudden shift somehow would just be more tragic from his thoughts, I'd think.

ironlung posted:

I wonder how much of Roose's motivation to legitimize Ramsay was "you done good, son" versus "this kid is a loving crazy person and I'd rather have him as a devoted son/ally than resent me and eventually turn against me"

Remember when he talked about kind of respecting the "different way" Ramsey deals with things?

I think Bolton isn't even scared, just reasonably cautious, with Ramsey. More importantly Bolton knows Ramsey is a kind of mad-genius, not just mad, and that he's a powerful weapon he can point in the direction of his enemies as a result. As a house that's known for flaying people, he probably figures even if Ramsey gets a reputation as a complete psychopath that's well known, he's still useful to terrorize people and promote the "don't gently caress with the Boltons. No, not even then!" image.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 3, 2014

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

No More Heroes posted:

At this point I fully expect Tyrion to die along with Jon Snow, Jamie, Brienne, Pod, Bronn, The Hound and anyone else I liked on this show.

If what people are saying about Hubris = Death in Game of Thrones, Pod is destine to become the next King of Westeros. Dude has zero ego.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Agreed posted:

A lot of might and a little modest claim to the throne by very, very, very thin blood was what determined rulers in our Middle Ages, why not theirs?

Not to mention it's not like characters aren't aware of how much bullshit they are shoveling. The smarter characters already see through it, be it for good or evil; Littlefinger even makes a large speech that points out exactly this.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Senor Tron posted:

I like that idea, I hope it isn't a book spoiler because it actually makes a lot of sense.

Don't worry, if it turns out to be the case, it's pure luck. I have a really lovely track record for guesses on this show, so I hope it's obvious I haven't read the books. To be honest it's mostly based on a "How the hell can they explain not just having the Wildlings roll the place over in five minutes?" and that's the only logical out I can come up with.

Though apparently I did call the fact that the Viper used a poison blade! Unfortunately I didn't call anything else about the fight, and it was such a minor detail in the end anyway that this is only known because the HBO website said so.

BlackJosh posted:

Peter Dinklage is awesome and gently caress GRRM if he kills off his character.

I love how much poo poo GRRM gets for things that aren't his fault, it's kind of hilarious.

Ludicrously hilarious sexposition sequences? HBO.
Unending Theon torture? I've heard this was HBO, too.

... and now, getting mad at him for killing characters that he killed a decade before they were cast because of cool actors ...

If anything he might push for a reprieve. Anyway for anyone mad about them killing off Obreyn, at least look at the bright side: This was probably the very best role for his career he could ask for. I suspect you're going to see him in more stuff in the near future with how impressive he was. Apparently he's been really restrained and held back on the other shows he's worked on.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jun 3, 2014

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BubbleGoose posted:

Now that you mention it, I'm surprised the Hound's never brought it up to Arya.

Probably because he never had a full reason to. "Oh yeah, that rear end in a top hat that runs the brothel in King's Landing sold out your dad too." I mean from the Hound's perspective, that is all Littlefinger is right now.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

regulargonzalez posted:

I got some news for him: If you're 6'10 and weigh 300+ lbs of pure muscle, you're probably not gonna get offered Hamlet.

Counter-point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCVc5TaPpe8

ED: Still laughing that the actor that plays Twyinn was in this.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 3, 2014

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Duggler posted:

Oberyn dying is loving bs and you all know it.

Did you mean to put that on twitter?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

monster on a stick posted:

She's just gotten rid of the only guy who had the stones to tell her when she's wrong. The whole "Khaleesi" thing has gone to her head.

Why do people keep forgetting about Barriston? Honestly Barritson has given her far more good advice than anyone else in her inner circle thus far. He is reasonable, smart, capable, experienced and skilled, too. He was the one that first called for mercy and would have likely made the same arguments against her actions when they are off.

Which probably means he'll end up drawn & quartered the way things go around here.

ED: I know the Helmet thing was pointed out earlier but rewatching the pre-viper Dialogue also has this gem:

"Size does not matter, when you are flat on your back!" "Thank the Gods."

The Mountain took him out from flat on his back, with his size.

That whole conversation really can be read differently on a reviewing.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 4, 2014

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OctaviusBeaver posted:

To be fair there have been 3 kings so far:
1. Robert was an obese drunk
2. Joffrey was a psychopath
3. Tommen is a child

I'm sure a competent, adult king would be pretty drat powerful.

Are you about to pitch another bank loan for Stannis? That's pretty much The Onion Knight's entire argument.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Alternatively, Stannis is basically Stalin.

Speaking of Russian cult of personality types, am I the only person who does not think of Putin EVERY time they see Roose Bolton?

If he's never played the guy before, he needs to.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

sforzacio posted:

I thought Stannis was a chode until Blackwater. You can't not-respect a dude who leads a siege from the front.

Not only that, but he was one of the only people to breach the walls after winning several individual combats and had to practically be ripped away to retreat. Dude definitely proved he wasn't all talk.

the posted:

She just wanted to finally get rid of the friendzoned neckbeard.

She posted on E/N what to do about him, and they all told her to Sever.

the kawaiiest posted:

He raped his sister next to their son's corpse.

You almost have to pretend that didn't happen. As it's well known now, it's not how it was supposed to play out in either the source material OR the script, but somehow the director & editor "accidentally" shot a freaking rape scene. That was not supposed to be a rape scene.

As such the writing will never reflect what the hell happened there, and it's best to pretend it didn't probably.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jun 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

the kawaiiest posted:

Yeah, I know, but I just can't accept that it wasn't supposed to be rape. I mean someone wrote Cersei's lines, right? Which were mostly "no" and "not here" and "please no, not here"? And then they filmed that scene the way they did, with her saying those lines and fighting him every step of the way, and they're telling us "oh lol sorry that wasn't meant to be rape"?

Either they're virgins whose only idea of what sex is like comes from watching too much Japanese porn or they're full of poo poo. There is no way that scene was written, rehearsed, shot and edited without someone, somewhere, saying "um, this not-rape scene kinda looks like rape".

There's literally no way it wasn't a rape scene. It totally was. But it wasn't supposed to be, and that's the key.

If anything they need to look into not using that director/editor again because holy poo poo I've never seen anything miss the mark like that, ever. I think the director was thinking "This whole thing is hosed up, let me try to put my stamp on the story!" and snuck it in because again, it's too ludicrous as an accident.

Either way it both messed up Jaime's character for a ton of people, screwed up the redemption arc, and probably will never be acknowledged again unless they try to add some damage control references to it next season.

• Locked thread