Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
One day a mod is going to replace all the images in the character guide with beecock and you'll be sorry you ever doubted it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

But what about the second mountain???

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Kurtofan posted:

Same, it's nice to see a good effort OP.

Well it's obviously quite popular.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Woah a character I loved got killed in GoT? How could I have foreseen this?

The best you can hope for is that the fan favorites get an appropriately awesome death, and Oberyn got that in loving spades.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

yeah his death made me wince. that poo poo was totally gruesome and probably could have been a bit more tasteful.

This isn't a show known for taste.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Really happy about Sansa this episode, I think she's finally getting it. When everyone in the loving continent is digging a grave just for you, it's about time she finally figures out how to step around them.

Also Arya losing her poo poo at her aunt's death was amazing.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
All this pissing and moaning is going to make me quit the show before anyone's death does.

hallik posted:

So Sansa was in all black and feathers. Isn't that representin' Littlefinger's black bird symbol? Her way of showing acceptance and allegiance?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was the intent. Also works to show mourning for her aunt, but that part is obviously a ploy.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

BubbleGoose posted:

Or you could just quit the thread. That would work out better for everyone. There's no need to get pissy just because people voice criticisms of the show. The show doesn't do everything perfectly and people have different reactions to what they see. Jesus, folks.

No it's really just that every time something bad happens in the show everyone is up in arms that something bad happened. I disagree with the criticism but it's mostly how loving upset everyone seems to be like this wasn't a pretty obvious outcome.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Vehementi posted:

Yeah no poo poo, as I said in the first post you quoted. It's the same trope - you think he's incapacitated for obvious reasons, but he's actually at full strength for made up reasons (being a monstrously strong or large person has no bearing on that, as the show has shown us so many times etc.) and completely defeats the guy and you sit there with a lol, okay dude. look on your face.

Eh, I don't think it's quite as you're describing. It's not like he just didn't sell any of those wounds, Oberyn just didn't go in for a killing blow when he should have. I doubt The Mountain would have been able to jump right back into the fight.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

BubbleGoose posted:

Of course people are going to react when a favorite character dies. And then it peters out. No one, from what I've seen, is moaning about Ned's death or Robb's anymore. Let people have their moment to react and show a little patience to let it ride out.

To be fair, no one's favorite character was Robb.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Vehementi posted:

Again Oberyn impaled him square in the middle of the chest at least 1 foot deep (check out the blood as he pulls the spear out) with his full body weight landing on him. Guy's lungs are full of blood etc. but, naw, he can get up, punch with full strength and overpower the guy while talking. It's just bad writing, there are so many ways they could have done it better if they weren't I guess afraid of GRRM or something?

And then he falls the gently caress over unconscious. Adrenaline is a hell of a drug (especially when you're already an enormous rage monster). It pushes the suspension of disbelief but we're also in a world of dragons and ice monsters.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

vanbags posted:

How could you possibly like Ramsey?

I loving love Ramsey. He's the biggest rear end in a top hat in the world, it's glorious. Now he's basically the prince of darkness. What's not to love about this guy? He's like Emperor Palpatine: they have the depth of a kiddie pool but what's there is pure and they have actors who can chew the gently caress out of some scenery.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Fiction posted:

Sorry, let me get into the spirit of the thread.

Hey guys, what's your favorite part of this episode? For me it was Missandei's bum. :fap: Or perhaps her boobies. :newfap: What's your guys favorite part of the girl? I love to watch this show because I haven't seen one in real life so I have to find it here. :hawaaaafap:

Martin is that you?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I thought the episode was strong except for the Mountain/Viper stuff, so I guess I'll be in the minority. I didn't care about Tyrion's beetle story once it turned out he hadn't found a larger lesson in it, and the fight was silly to me. I didn't think it was particularly gory, because it was cartoonish. He crushed a head in his hands, that's a fun thing from comic books. Hell, Oberyn's death wasn't even the most gruesome death in this episode, so I just don't see why it made people so uncomfortable.

I enjoyed every part of this episode except for the last 5 minutes, so now people will concentrate only on the part I like rather than the majority, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

I actually found the rest of the episode more entertaining as well. I liked the last fight because most shows don't have someone's head being squeezed like an overripe grape, but the Stark sisters and the Boltons had some incredible poo poo going on. Kind of a shame everyone wanted to blow past it for the fight.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

No More Heroes posted:

If Arya doesnt reunite with Sansa I'll be highly upset. They're gonna reunite right?? Shes right there..

I would really love to see what they would argue about now.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

You have no idea...

Real: I'm figuring this based on how that scene ended. "I know what you want" and then the next scene she's in she's all dressed up like she's in his weird dungeon bird fetish outfit. The guy above has it pretty right, we'd know if someone has sex on this show, usually. However, Sophie Turner probably wasn't an adult when they filmed it and we don't know if she's signed on to do sex scenes yet (can't wait to see the thread when they announce whether or not that's happening).

I'm pretty sure she's clear to do nude scenes, but I'd rather she didn't. Dany's are weird enough and Emilia Clarke is older than I am.

No More Heroes posted:

I cant tell if Arya was laughing at her twisted fate or the Hound :psyduck:

A bit of everything I imagine.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Von_Doom posted:

Does this mean his son grows up to become a masked vigilante?

All of them. And the daughters.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Aristobulus posted:

Yeah, it's not a lot if you write it out, yet he does have a reputation for killing good characters.

Which means, for me, I expect good characters to die and I'm not shocked or moved when he does it, anymore. The reaction is more of a sigh and "what now?" kind of thing.

I mean, it's clearly meant to be a subversion - Oberyn was built up this entire season, for that fight. He was winning the fight. Vast majority of media would have him heroically win. So of course GRRM kills him. I'm not saying that sarcastically, all the build up and hype meant I knew Oberyn was going to lose, and expected him to die, because GRRM is predictable now.

By trying so hard to subvert expectations, eventually that means he meets expectations. This really isn't a show as clever as I thought at first, where anything can happen who knows? It's just a show where GRRM does the opposite of what the average show would do.

I still loved Oberyn even though he was clearly going to die for a hundred reasons. I still hoped he might win, even believed he could for a fleeting moment that made me feel dumb as gently caress. Did my expectation detract from the emotional impact of the moment? Yeah, absolutely, but I was still able to get invested in the character and the fight. Say what you will about not being able to subvert expectations like they could in season one, that's pretty impressive.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Fenarisk posted:

It's getting past that fine line of not giving a poo poo or wanting to keep watching because any character you care about is killed off anyway.

Littlefinger has never been doing better buddy.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

You cared about Jeoffry?

My friend stopped watching after Joffrey died, not because he loved him, but at some point his loathing for the little poo poo became his primary investment.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

No More Heroes posted:

He did have a shitload of studded leather and mail on but that last flying stab to the chest and subsequent yank made it look like he was down for the count. The Michael Myers popup was pretty bad.

If anyone's allowed a Michael Meyers moment it's the loving Mountain.

Besides, the details of the fight aren't even the point. Oberyn died because of his grudge. Tyrion is now hosed. Tywin could only manage an incredibly pyrrhic victory, signifying everything slipping through his fingers. These are the things that matter, not if a man could really do what the Mountain did.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
The thing about the Mountain is, the dude does not work by our standards. It's been brought up a hundred times before, but he is less a man and more a force, unleashed upon whomever has the least luck that day. No, he may not be a dragon or a wizard but he's just as supernatural as either of them. He is the avatar of Lannister might, power and will given form.

So I guess that's why I just don't give a gently caress about the implausibility of the ending. I'd offer that going all Gallagher on a dude's entire loving skull with his bare loving hands is as nuts as him being able to move after all of that, but people seem to buy the second thing just fine.

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Wow. Absolutely brutal. I knew something bad was gonna happen when Oberyn started baiting the downed Mountain, but jesus. The funny thing though is that when the Mountain went for the eyes, all I could think was, "Hannibal beat you to it."

Hahaha, I totally thought the same thing.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

GCValentine posted:

The whole deal at Crastor's Keep worked out pretty well for the good guys considering their only casualties were a couple of mooks and a bad guy in disguise.

But not for Hordor's innocence. :smith:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

BubbleGoose posted:

Now that I'm over the whole squashed head thing, I think the coolest moment in the show is when Sansa appeared as Maleficent and descended the stairs all wicked like. I hope she doesn't turn into a major baddie.

Dude that is exactly what I do want. Arya's already accepted that life is some sort of cosmic joke at her expense, I want to see Sansa embrace that the Littlefinger way.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Cingulate posted:

To be fair, the point of Theon failing to decapitate cleanly was less to imply physical weakness, more to imply lack of skill.

Yeah, it was about showing how unfit he was to be lord of anything, much less lord of Winterfell.

He's pretty loving good at being Reek though, maybe Ramsey had the right idea after all.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Woden posted:

What was the bug chat about then, The Mountain is a retard that just likes killing people, and therefore probably didn't have orders to kill The Vipers sister?

I think that Tyrion is making a point about how he sees his own family. For all his pretension of putting family first, all Tywin wants is to be the subject of maesters' studies for centuries. In his struggle to do so, he's betraying the very principle he claims to be in service of. Cersei doesn't even have any real goal, she's just flailing about trying her best to smash the bugs. It's certainly in Jaime's nature to destroy things without empathy, but he's clearly not quite the same monster as his sister and father. Then you have Tyrion, just trying to make sense of it all and coming up with nothing.

The metaphor does extend to Oberyn and the Mountain, though. As I mentioned before, the Mountain is nothing but an illustration of the Lannisters' power. And whether or not the Mountain's dead for real, he looks a lot like the cousin that got kicked by the mule right now.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

a cop posted:

Does anyone have a link to the Missandei nude gallery? I need it for a project.

I assume you aren't getting paid for this project.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jun 2, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Also, lmao at curb your enthusiasm vid

That had me cracking up even more than the actual ending. Amazing what that track can do.

Woden posted:

I like your read on Cersei and Tyrion but the rest seem like a stretch.

If The Mountain does die wtf does that infer, a double KO in trial by combat I mean? I hope Tyrion can somehow still live, losing another cool character next episode is not something I look forward to.

Well Tywin said Tyrion lost and he's the big man on campus, so either way Tyrion's hosed unless he can make it out somehow.

I'll admit my analysis might be spotty, I certainly didn't understand the point of the story at first and most people have seemed to ignore the scene in favor of the huge standouts of the episode (I can't really blame them). But I think the meaning of Tywin's "victory" at the trial is that the time of the Lannisters is quickly coming to an end. It was foreshadowed by the revelation a few episodes back of their gold mines running dry, which had always been the source of their power. That's not to mention that literally nothing has been going his way lately.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

BubbleGoose posted:

Doesn't the Lannister stronghold literally sit on a mountain of gold (okay, maybe just a big hill)? If the Mountain is the symbol of the Lannister's power, and he dies, it could infer the waning of their power. Tywin did admit that their goldmines are tapped. That's just my thinking, anyway.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at. This isn't the first time the Mountain's been used this way by the show, either. After Cat fucks with the Lannisters by having Tyrion arrested, the Mountain gets sent to sack the Riverlands to remind the Starks and Tullys about who the gently caress Tywin is. Ned tries to denounce the Mountain as a false knight, much as he later denounces Joffrey as a false heir. We know how that ended. Then the Mountain runs rampant until Robb's army forces him to retreat. We also know how that ended.

The Mountain follows the ebb and flow of Tywin's will, going wherever he's needed to show people what happens when you try and gently caress with the Lannisters. Now he's been heavily wounded, possibly fatally, by one man. The times are a-changin'.

Cybershell posted:

I know everyone was repulsed by the gruesome eye-gouging and head-popping but that first loving hit where you see his teeth fly out was what really disturbed me.

All those teeth hitting the floor was an incredible shot.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Part of me hopes Jorah redeems himself, but I have a really hard time caring about anyone in that party besides Selmy (ffs dude kill someone already).

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Oh yeah: Bronn would have won. He could probably have out moved the Mountain just as well as the Viper did, honestly, and get his blows even - even with a sword. But Bronn wouldn't stop fighting to show boat, and would have not called it over until The Mountain's head was in two pieces.

I'd believe Bronn winning, just 'cause he's awesome, but man I bet he's going to be feeling a lot better about leaving Tyrion to his fate when he hears about this poo poo.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Accretionist posted:

A lot of people liked Oberyn. I doubt there'd have been half as much complaining just so long as the fight was good.

Tyrion winning a second trial by combat would have deserved some serious criticism, as opposed to :qq: BUT OBERYN WAS SO COOL! :qq:

Though I'd admit the skull crushing was like something out of a totally different show.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Lycus posted:

At the very least, it's akin to the Hound chopping a guy in half with a single swipe during Blackwater.

Hahahaha, holy gently caress I forgot about that.

I still think it's a bit much but I really like the ridiculous violence this show has at times.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Red Pyramid posted:

And Ramsay eating a suspicious looking sausage in front of Theon after castrating him. And Viserys getting crowned in molten gold. And Drogo pulling a guy's tongue through his throat. I don't really get the complaints about Oberyn's head popping being cartoonish - cartoonish violence is part and parcel of this show.

Well crushing a dude's skull with enough force to blow his brain out the back goes a bit further than anything besides splitting the dude and the tongue thing. Personally, I think this set a new bar.

I love it no matter how feasible it is, though.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Mukip posted:

That's twice the Ironborn have turned on their own leaders in order to facilitate a surrender to the Boltons. I thought they were hardcore? Is their Drowned God not rolling in it's watery grave? Everything they touch turns to ash.

The Drowned God is secretly Worf.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Mukip posted:

Alright, so they're devastating warriors to have around if you need to raid a fishing village. They sound like such posers.

In the histories and lore Stannis mentions that he loving ruined them prior to the events of the series using the royal navy. So they aren't even great on the sea. They're like the shittiest vikings imaginable really.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Macrame_God posted:

All I can say is that if they kill Tyrion then I'm giving up on everyone and rooting for the Whitewalkers.

You aren't already?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Bobo the Red posted:

The most shocking thing I learned from this thread is that large numbers of people like Daenerys. Arya I get, because she's becoming an icecold killer, but Dany? She got gifted dragons and armies, and talks non-ironically about "the usurper" when her dumb family stormed into Westeros with a huge deus ex machina fairly recently and hosed everything up (and legalized regal incest), and about her brother's claim, even though her brother was an idiot she doesn't even like. At least she could acknowledge that under the old Targaryen rules, her only shot at the throne would've been on his lap.

To be fair, Aegon conquered Westeros centuries before the time of the series and is responsible for uniting most of Westeros, which would have pettily fought war after war over bullshit had he not done so. The invasion also paved the way for the Tyrells to become the powerful family that they are, and helped make the Ironborn the hilariously stupid assholes that they are.

I'd say overall that the Targaryens were a positive influence on Westeros, even if the most recent Targaryen king was completely insane. Joffrey would have been even worse had he not been poisoned.

Stannis should win it all though, not her.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Blazing Ownager posted:

In another reality, this guy is totally playing Hodor instead. I could totally see him in the Hodor role, he just doesn't come off mean enough to be The Mountain.

Oh man, imagine what Mountain-Hordor would have done to Locke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Personally I judge everyone's likeability out of 100 swags.

• Locked thread