Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BovineAdapter
Jan 5, 2007
Dr3 Noodle

Analogical posted:

Our detailer came to the command and specifically told us not to call him and ask for any orders but shore. They're getting rid of our air and surface billets (CTI) over the next three years and unless you drew the right straw leaving A-School getting into anything but shore takes nothing short of an act of God. He held a 45 minute all-call giving us examples of times we've called and how stupid we were for ever thinking we'd leave our one duty station. We have a chief who's been at my command for 16 years without ever leaving.

Join the navy, they said.

See the world, they said.

Just curious about those air and surface billets -- are they moving them somewhere else (which may be highly unlikely since you seem to be at one of the Centers of Excellence™) or are they deleting/converting the billets entirely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BovineAdapter
Jan 5, 2007
Dr3 Noodle

Analogical posted:

no real need for us to be on a ship or a plane when they can stream it

I figured that was the case. The remoting thing was bandied about as early as the mid-to-late 90s and the old surface PCS guys (CTR/CTT) were convinced that it was pie in the sky crazy talk. Remoting really only takes your CTI out of the shipboard equation since CTRs/CTMs will be needed to man SSES and run and maintain the gear. Sub operations won't be impacted because CT missions are just about the only thing fast attack boats have going for them. USS FLORIDA was proof of concept for the SSGNs when we bombed the poo poo out of Libya back in 2011 and since they're also suited for CT missions (albeit in only about 2 areas I can think of), we'll continue to see a Fleet requirement for them.

As far as your detailer(s), all they seem to be these days are PR chumps that go on their monthly TADs to the Fleet to tell the Sailors what FLTFORCOM wants them to. From what I understand, requirements are really generated between the individual command and FFC. They've managed to almost completely take the detailer out of the process, at least for the CT community. The TECHAD has a bigger picture to manage, namely rating health. Last TECHAD visit I went to in 2011, the guy told everyone that CTIs should be prepared to see an advancement slowdown due to over-advancement through the previous 7 years or so. He also mentioned the FLPB restructure. I knew that was coming because there was no way in hell PERSCOM was gonna pay folks $1000/month for testing in their primary language plus any other DLPT they could get their hands on (Italian, Spanish, French or the slavic languages for RuLings/SCroats).

BovineAdapter
Jan 5, 2007
Dr3 Noodle

genderstomper58 posted:

what about that stupid decision making process the navy had

gently caress what was it called

There was one they bought into before I enlisted. It was TQL or Total Quality Leadership which I believe was Total Quality Management (TQM) in the civilian world. My Command (500+ personnel) had a dedicated TQL office and a Senior Chief as Command TQL Coordinator. When I made Second Class, I had to attend their apprentice/journeyman TQL class. Shortly after that, they scrapped the whole program Navy-wide.

• Locked thread