Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
A year away from taking my last set of PCS orders. Yes, I am legitimately excited even though I still have 4 years left to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Laranzu posted:

Pensacola got wrecked by floods, which ruined the rental we found. Last minute rentals are a bitch to find with a 110lb dog and a 45lb dog. Everything was coming out basically eating all the BAH anyway.

Just said gently caress it and took the easy base housing way out.

You're joining Fart Sandwiches and I in the redneck riviera?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I think a requirement of the army is that during tech school they do at least one field exercise (FTX they call it) in full kit and the week leading up to it is full immersion training so they wander around with all their gear and non-working m4s. It's really funny because they have to have battle buddy everywhere with them, even to piss and can't let their weapon out of their sight.

Although I haven't seen them do it in a while so maybe that got dropped. Either way the army somehow manages to be the shittiest branch to be in here.

It's not just here.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

For those of you who have done time on a ship in the yards, where do the nobles house themselves when they can't use their staterooms? This may or may not be relevant to a set of orders I am looking at.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ded posted:

Should have officer barracks and if those are not available they would put you in a nearby hotel.

On the Navy's dime or not?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Thanks for the info. Looking at going to a carrier that is going into the yards and I won't be living very close if I do take those orders so I'd be spending a lot of time on the boat. Luckily I have some friends that will be living close by that I can crash with.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Boon posted:

Civilian friends? How?

Navy friends actually. Everyone knows you can't have civilian friends.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Noctis Horrendae posted:

What percent of the navy is gay? Serious question.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

:tipshat:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Booblord Zagats posted:

How is it a possible that they could make an NFO's job suck? I mean professional airplane shotgun rider sounds like an amazing career, yet the manage to ruin it.

What are you referring to? I love my job, I had one tour that was absolute poo poo because I wasn't doing NFO stuff AND I had a terrible, terrible front office including one XO/CO I was a oval office's hair away from reporting to the IG.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Booblord Zagats posted:

No dude, I mean to make an NFO, one of the arguably coolest jobs, dislike the Navy, means the Navy itself has some serious issues it needs to address. I'm not giving you the least amount of poo poo, I legitimately mean the Navy seems to really need to unfuck itself

My main beef is the promotion system. The rest is more a result of the fact that I've been doing this for 16 years now and I'm just sort of getting tired of all the attendant BS.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Ryand-Smith posted:

Carrier in the yards means you might be heading to Newport News. Area is a shithole, so live outside downtown. Just curious to see what yard you might be going to.

West coast. It would have to be the only possible job for me to take to get me the Hampton Roads area again.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

buttplug posted:

As a non-Academy grad who hit the haterade today, let me ask the obvious: who gives a rat gently caress about an essay on Naval tactics written in 17-loving-90? Is that the poo poo they're teaching you at the Academy these days? How is that even *remotely* applicable or current?

They should be teaching loving AEGIS, BMD, COLREGS, CWMD proliferation, moboards, basic RT prowords, and unconventional warfare.

Get a grip dude. Go reverse engineer some malware or something.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

buttplug posted:

Didn't you get passed up for O-5 already? Some good the boat school did you...

Sick burn bro.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

buttplug posted:

Nope. I'm an 1820. I was a SWO before I lat transferred. That being said, having actually been a SWO DIVO and seeing how hosed up the training system (or lack thereof) is, I can't help but laugh that people sit at the Academy for 4 years and come out equally as lost and confused about nearly everything as us OCS or ROTC folks.

Apparently wherever you went didn't stress reading comprehension because the original poster's question had nothing to do with the curriculum at USNA.

Octopode posted:

Thank you both for reminding me of one of the many reasons I lat transferred.

From what I've seen doing a lat sep out of SWO is never a bad idea. I'm an NFO, and I hate douchebags, regardless of what warfare community or designator they are. :)

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

genderstomper58 posted:

Haha do you guys remember that one book someone posted about where a sailor goes out as like an undercover guy and gets blowjobs from other navy dudes to out them as gay or w/e

it happened in the early 1900s or something iirc and was a passage from some book

or I had a wet dream about it not sure which

I wanted this to be my job in the Navy but they made me go aviation. Sad days indeed.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Sir Lucius posted:

Watching officers slap fight online should really drive the point home that leadership has no idea what they're doing. I mean I don't blame them. The whole point of staying in is to put on the dog and pony and pony show long enough to hope you can get out more than you put in.

Calling out buttplug for being a buttplug is hardly a sign that leadership has no idea what they are doing.

As far as the conversation you are having goes, making the officer transition is a pretty good thing for a sailor to do in my opinion. Kudos to the guys who advance to the E7 level and are actually competent leaders though because we need them but most guys would be better off getting out and using their GI Bill. But if you want to stay in it makes sense to put in that officer package.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

Putting in a package has its downsides (lots of paperwork, may piss off command) but it's not like you're required to take it if you get accepted

I know it happens but I for one don't get the mentality that leads to getting mad at a sailor for putting in an officer package. I don't know why you wouldn't accept it though, do you know anyone who turned it down after getting accepted? I don't, although I met an AC who got accepted to OCS and DORed not far into the program.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

SpaceJustice posted:

So former submarine guy getting ready to go to OCS to be a SWO. Any advice on homeports/platforms/etc.?

I guess it's too late to say don't go SWO...

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'll put in a token vote for Jacksonville FL, having visited there once. Not like that neck of Florida is wonderful, but it's certainly a lot cheaper than Hawaii or SD if you've got a full house, it's also going to be more or less only DDGs and your underways are going to be mostly fiddle-farting around the Caribbean. Point Loma would be one thing but I got the vibe SD got a lot of Big Navy bullshit, and I'm not sure Pearl isn't laden with it either, while Jax is pretty loving slack. I wouldn't want small kids in FL public schools, though.

If you can get one of the DDGs in/going to Roda that's the obvious choice of course

I usually like your posts but you just told someone they should pick Jax over HI or San Diego. Your credibility is in tatters and you should probably go kill yourself.

Also, it's Rota, you moran. :colbert:

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 17, 2014

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

genderstomper58 posted:

what about that stupid decision making process the navy had

gently caress what was it called

Business as usual?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

buttplug posted:

poo poo like this is exactly why I'm still single.

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Seqenenra posted:

He was the chief that would yell at me for glorifying drinking, yell at the division for drinking on liberty and then come in at about 0600 from the Honch stinking like booze with red eyes and barely able to stand. :chiefsay:

It always amazed me that there are people that think telling sailors not to drink when you pull into port was worth nything more than farting in the wind. My standard spiel was along the lines of "I know you're probably drink no matter what anyone says. What isn't ok is to not take care of each other and not coming back together." Amazingly, I never had to deal with any ARIs.

• Locked thread