Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just started a True Detective marathon. Watching it for the first time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I don't recognize Annakie :(

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

So uh, apparently this is how Rick & Morty started? This is :nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbTlK3perdI

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 15, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

hcreight posted:

Don't worry, they will continue to make terrible cars whether they get show sponsorship or not.
The GTR would like to have a word with you. :colbert:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just finished the pilot of The Last Ship. The premise excited me, possibly because it evoked the best parts of Last Resort, and while the pilot isn't as good, it's quite watchable. Part of me wishes they had a more capable vessel than a destroyer, but I guess that only leaves a battleship and aircraft carrier, possibly a nuclear submarine.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

The Leftovers continues to rule hardcore
I thought it was not good?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Actual reactions I think I had in 2008:

Kings pilot is so good!

Isn't The Mentalist just Raines?

They're doing an American version of Life on Mars and Kath & Kim?

Why are they rebooting Knight Rider?

Joss Whedon is back! Dollhouse is gonna be the new Buffy!

Defying Gravity is going to be amazing!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

So I happened to watch the pilot of Extant, and it's basically Defying Gravity 2.0:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcmB-BoY1j0

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Abel Wingnut posted:

Why is HBO GO's UI so, so, so bad?
Please don't waste our bandwidth while using your friend's login.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Really glad to see The Strain pilot is decent. Look forward to watching it later tonight.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Watching The Strain, the pilot has me in for the show, but why did the writers have to include that scene where Shane from TWD completely ignores Walder Frey? So stupid.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 14, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

BSam posted:

I almost feel ashamed saying this now, but the Pilot episode of Glee was loving brilliant.
There's nothing to be ashamed about. I watched it a bunch of times in the process of introducing it to friends.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How is Dominion?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Constantine pilot was pretty promising. I completely understand why they recast the female lead, but the replacement doesn't look any better.

Flash pilot is better plotwise, but there's plenty of cringeworthy dialogue and the actor playing The Flash can't hold a candle to the actor playing Constantine. Also, it's weird as hell seeing Danielle Panabaker as a grown woman since the last time I saw her was as a teenager on Shark.

On a related note, I should watch Arrow, right?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 26, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Annakie posted:

If you want to discuss a show and there's no thread, just go ahead and make a thread. :) {Maybe check the Index of Shows thread first to make sure there's no thread.)

Not everyone reads every post of Couch Chat so just because there's no interest here doesn't mean no one wants to talk about it.

Of course, some shows are so bad that no one wants to talk about it. :D
Isn't there some thread where OP made lengthy replies but was the only poster in the thread?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

I think I'm gonna make a masters of sex thread, because me and bown know what's up about it being the absolute best
I made the season 1 thread and I haven't even finished the season. :negative:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kraps posted:

What shows are there similar to The Booth at the End, understated, one location, dialog-heavy etc?
The West Wing bottle episodes. :allears:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just started it. High hopes!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

4 episodes into Broadchurch and this absolutely feels like The Killing. I just hope they don't gently caress us on the ending.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I finished Broadchurch and it was great. It's everything we wanted The Killing to be.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

In case you didn't hear, Jim Parsons, Johnny Galecki, and Kaley Cuoco signed new contracts for $1 million per episode for BBT's remaining 72 episodes. Total compensation could reach $100 million: http://www.deadline.com/2014/08/big-bang-theory-stars-jim-parsons-johnny-galecki-kaley-cuoco-close-big-new-deals/

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

zoux posted:

Hrm I thought irc was for this circlejerk bullshit????
Is anyone even on the IRC channel? I've forgotten the info.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mrs. Doubtfire was a brilliant film of my youth.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

This is kind of weird, for the second week in a row USA has put out commercials for shows that had nothing to do with the actual episodes. Last week it was Suits where they made it seem like the there was some kind of conflict going on with the main character being specifically targeted by the SEC, which didn't happen and in fact a line from the commercial wasn't even in the episode. This week they had one for Graceland that made it seem like one character screwed over another, but the characters never interacted with each other at all in the entire episode.
Are you sure you're not watching reruns?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cardboard Box A posted:

Lost is overall such a well done show (and a great showcase of the incredible variety of locations you can get out of shooting on a tiny tropical island plus some special effects) but man do they stick the landing hard. It's like anime bad.

I mean it's still affecting because they cash in 7 years worth of emotional payoff but maaaaaaaaaaaan.
I don't think you can use "stick the landing hard" that way.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

precision posted:

The second golden age of WWF (1997-2002ish) was some loving amazing television. Stephanie McMahon got crucified by the Undertaker onstage as part of his "dark wedding". I AM NOT MAKING THIS poo poo UP BRO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-c6wDFjQ8I

:allears:
This happened to be the only period I watched wrestling, 1997-1999. I remember joining the Goldberg hype train from day one, and I ate up Stone Cold Steve Austin like a small town redneck. I was basically the wrestling equivalent of a Chuck Lorre fan. :barf:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Aug 19, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Literally the entire reason circumcision got big in America in the early 1900s was because it made it harder for your son to masturbate, we really hate the thought of kids jerkin it here in America.
I'm uncircumsized. So is Russell Brand.

I probably masturbate more than he does... or do I?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

precision posted:

Wait, really? Because everything I know tends towards the notion that circumcised men are MORE sensitive, not LESS.
I'm always though it was common knowledge that uncircumsized men are the more sensitive ones. In addition to have more nerve endings because you still have your foreskin, the head of your penis isn't desensitized from constant rubbing against your underwear.

quote:

I thought circumcision got popular because some doctors told everyone it's cleaner/healthier or whatever.
From Wikipedia:

Modern times
Circumcision did not become a common medical procedure until the late 19th century. At that time, British and American doctors began recommending it primarily as a deterrent to masturbation. Prior to the 20th century, masturbation was believed to be the cause of a wide range of physical and mental illnesses including epilepsy, paralysis, impotence, gonorrhea, tuberculosis, feeblemindedness, and insanity. In 1855, motivated in part by an interest in promoting circumcision to reduce masturbation, English physician Jonathan Hutchinson published his findings that Jews had a lower prevalence of certain venereal diseases. While pursuing a successful career as a general practitioner, Hutchinson went on to advocate circumcision for health reasons for the next fifty years,

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

zoux posted:

Oi British posters, is Spooks good or is it CSI:London?
The early seasons series are amazing. And no, it's nothing like CSI.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Wandle Cax posted:

No, you're thinking of Rowan Atkinson. Hugh Laurie was in Monty Python.
No, you're thinking of Martin Freeman. Rowan Atkinson was in The Office.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

At least Cee Lo owned up to the comments and didn't say his account was hacked.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sober posted:

Oh, so there was an alternate ending to How I Met Your Mother: http://vimeo.com/105404677

The only problem is that with the ending we got, it was set it stone by the creators, and they worked up into it in the preceding seasons since they filmed it. So despite the fact the alternate ending is what everyone wanted ... well I guess you can have that instead.
I don't understand. Why couldn't they have used this alternate ending?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Did someone break the forum's CSS again?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

A planned ending doesn't matter if it's a piece of poo poo.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

I had faith in Sleepy Hollow from the very beginning. As soon as I saw the trailer I was like "This one's gonna be a winner".

Of course I also thought the same about Almost Human so I'm not perfect.
Sleepy Hollow was always going to be too kooky to appeal to a wide audience, kind of like Buffy.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I just finished the pilot of Utopia. The British drama, not the American reality show. It was crazy, intense, and I don't know what's going on.

And I love it. :allears:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Though I intended to sit down and watch the pilot for Utopia on Fox, I accidentally acquired a UK series by the same name. I figured what the hell, I'll try it anyway.

What. The. gently caress.

Has anyone seen this show? That was some crazy poo poo. Do yourself a favor and watch this pilot, and go in knowing absolutely nothing about it, like I just did, because I don't like feeling this way alone. That poo poo was off the wall bananas. Like, some hosed up poo poo.

Please, tell me someone in this thread has seen this show, and if so, should I keep watching it?
Not by mistake, but I experienced the same thing as you just yesterday:

Josh Lyman posted:

I just finished the pilot of Utopia. The British drama, not the American reality show. It was crazy, intense, and I don't know what's going on.

And I love it. :allears:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

raditts posted:

And yet, somehow those shows manage to be way less funny than AFV.
AFV was funny when you were a kid, or maybe that was just the comic sensibility of the 80s/90s.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

You're officially old. Sorry.
Have to agree here. AFV is the TV equivalent of dad jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just finished watching High Moon. It's kooky to the max. Go watch.

• Locked thread