Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Hey, hey! Everyone calm down. Drunk History is back, y'all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

muscles like this? posted:

The bizarre thing about this move is that they're adapting the fantasy part of the series instead of the probably easier move, which would have been the prequel stuff set in the modern world.

Also the early Shannara books are gigantic rip offs of LOTR.

Just the first one, if I remember correctly. Which Terry Brooks even admits, since he said he had never really written before, so he borrowed heavily to use as a framework. Which, you know, is cheating, but whatever. Elfstones of Shannara, the second book, is a pretty big departure from that. Well, moderately big. You still have Elves and a big battle.

But I agree, the later books with the fantasy characters discovering a centuries old A.I. with lasers that attacks them and crazy poo poo like that would be more fun. Or the Running With the Demon books, which were decent but way easier to film/sell.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Decius posted:

Tim Curry does mostly voice acting nowadays to answer the question from the last page. Emperor Chancellor Palpatine in the last season of Star Wars: The Clone Wars after Ian Abercrombie sadly passed away for example.

Oh drat, is that why he took over on The Clone Wars? I was wondering why they'd do that, when the voice of Palpatine before that was rock solid, and then suddenly he just...sounded like Tim Curry. But that makes sense, I didn't know the original voice actor had died.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I am unreasonably excited about this.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Irish Joe posted:

That, and Cumberbatch is a lithe, non-threatening male for young women to get hot over.

Also, it's a good show. Just because tumblr likes a thing doesn't necessarily make that thing bad.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Regy Rusty posted:

I watch it.

It's ok.

I watched the first 3 seasons of it. Then I realized that at the end of each season, I couldn't remember a single thing that had happened. So I stopped.

It's okay. But very forgettable.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Irish Joe posted:

she pulled a Anita Sarkeesian and is pretending like she's the victim

I don't know anything about this new situation you're talking about, but this part here...man, you are just the worst.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Fateo McMurray posted:

Only 1/2 wrong. Firefly River was annoying. River Song was awesome.

Agreed. I love River Song, in fact I'd say she's the closest we've come to a female Doctor. She's also my wife's favorite character of the reboot.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Ursus Veritas posted:

...Criminal Minds..."Normal"...

This was passed over by most other posters, but this. Normal is the best episode Criminal Minds ever had. It's very stand alone, and amazing. I don't watch it anymore, but I can't really say the show it bad because there was a time when it produced an episode like that. If you only watch one episode, make it this one. And then realize it'll never be that good again. (The Reaper plot was pretty good, too, but multi-episode and definitely not standalone.)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Dead Snoopy posted:

:circlefap: Sam Elliott on Justified! :circlefap:

Fine, fine. I'll watch your show.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

This series of Doctor Who is very very bad. There's a really weird dissonance between the old school stern tone of how the Doctor is being played and Moffat taking the programme towards the children's TV/soap opera ends of the spectrum.

Also the scripts have all been poo poo.

I haven't yet watched this latest episode, but I'm really enjoying this season. These are the first episodes I've ever watched as they air, and, for some reason, when I marathon to catch up to a show, I tend to not like the new episodes as the air. Probably because the pace changes for obvious reasons. But these have really got me on board. I like the new sort of crazy, grumpy Uncle thing they've got going for the Doctor. And Clara is interesting for the first time in her entire run. The only script I was wild about was the first 30 or so minutes of the season premiere. But it settled into something pretty great after that. And Capaldi seems to still be honing in on exactly who is Doctor is, but the result is I like him more each episode.

Anyway, Doctor Who is probably the most subjective TV show I've ever watched, because it's so out there and so inconsistent, so no opinion is really wrong. I've hated pretty large stretches of it. But I'm on board for this season so far.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

zoux posted:

What's the deal with Gilmore Girls is it funny or what?

Yes. When it was on, I felt like it and The West Wing were two of the better written shows of it's time. Looking bad that was a bit hyperbolic, but I still think it's a very good show. And apparently getting added to Netflix, like, tomorrow, so that's cool. And convenient, since I just finished another rewatch of The West Wing.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

It's mostly a drip drip drip of Just World "only the guilty need a defence" stuff but sometimes they just straight up coerce confessions.

There's strong undercurrent of authoritarianism and disregard for civil rights running through Castle that is never portrayed as anything but reasonable and good. It's unpleasant when you notice it.

Keeping in mind this isn't actually a defense of Castle in that regard, but this is true of all crime procedurals, isn't it? Castle, NCIS, Elementary, Bones, etc. all seem to do this. Sure, they use "evidence and detective work", but most cases just end with a confession, given by someone who doesn't have a lawyer, and very often after the person asking the questions has lied or threatened the suspect somehow.

I've never seen Castle as being any worse about this than any other show. The amount of times Gibbs on NCIS has countered, "Do I need a lawyer?" with, "Do you think you need one?" or, "Why, have you done anything wrong?" is rather absurd.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Oh I agree, it's the same with most US crime shows. The difference, for me, is that I liked Castle initially whereas I don't watch NCIS etc for much the same reasons (also they're mostly trash on a basic level of quality).
I think it stands out so much to me because I grew up watching things like The Bill on UK television. The Bill was a twice weekly police proceedural where it wasn't even a matter of discussion, they'd cut to the interview room and you would see the officers starting the tape recorders and there's just another extra in the scene playing the part of the solicitor. Everyone had a solicitor, even if it was just the duty solicitor, and it was routine, no inferences drawn.
It didn't actually change much about the basic structure of the programme, but it also didn't create an extremely unhealthy prejudice in the back of the viewer's mind.

That makes sense, and it would be nice to have a show act like that here. I guess, having only ever watched American crime shows, that's the only thing I've known. So, while I'm extremely vocal when things like that happen in real life, and tell everyone I know to never talk to the police, when it happens on TV I just kind of accept it as a kind of annoying but inevitable part of the format.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Sorry for the double post, but:

Doctor Butts posted:

The Glades kind of one ups this because the detective pretty much ruins all the suspect's lives, if you think about it.

Yeah, this happens a lot, too. Very often they'll show a husband, for example, grusome pictures of his now dead wife's dead and mangled body to try and illicit a reaction. And every time I can't help but think, "Jesus Christ, if this guy didn't kill his wife, that is a horrible thing to show him that he'll be bringing up in therapy for years to come."

NCIS is also the worst about this. Gibbs did (I stopped watching last season) this probably at least once every other week.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Selfie may be one of the worst pilots I've ever seen. It got mildly better at the end, so I'm going to hope they just had to show how terrible she was so we can see her grow, and I'll try next week as well. But it's basically starting from a negative 4 stars from me. That scene where the Zoey Deschanel neighbors make her over while singing Lady Gaga to the tune of a ukulele was like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Holy poo poo that was bad. If this didn't have Karen Gillan and John Cho, I would have already bailed. I'm just hoping against hope they get better material. Lots of good shows have bad pilots.

...right?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Aphrodite posted:

I meant Sleepy Hollow as the good one and House and HIMYM as the bad ones, I didn't look at his Wikipedia or anything.

It now occurs to me that he was on in the good seasons of HIMYM and it was actually Kumar in the bad ones.

Yeah, John Cho was only in one episode of HIMYM, where he's seducing Marshall to join his law firm. He was great in it. Kal Penn was Robin's therapist/boyfriend. That was the awful plot.

Kitchen Confidential was amazing. I'm sad it only had one season, but the season is absolutely worth watching. Someone here said that it may be for the best it only got one season, because it went through all the hilarious scenarios that working in a kitchen would give you, so it kinds of stands as a great comedy mini-series.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

EL BROMANCE posted:

But at the same time you know Bourdain would've been absolutely delighted with that casting (even though at that point I'm guessing nobody knew who Bradley Cooper was yeah?).

He had already been on Alias for a couple of years at that point, so I knew who he was.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ah I only ever watched a few episodes of Alias. It seemed one of those shows where if you missed an episode you wouldn't be sure who was on which side anymore, based on how it started. Seemed fun enough though.

This is definitely the case. The first two seasons are still worth a watch, though. Just make up your own ending after that.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

IRQ posted:

Wasn't he immortal or some bullshit by the end?

Yes. But only for like a minute before he ended up trapped in a cave under some rocks for the rest of time. Alias got pretty lovely after season 2, but drat if those first 2 seasons weren't solid.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Shageletic posted:

EDIT: The ukelele thing was played for laughs. I think they were in the joke there. But Selfie isn't the most deft thing at keeping up with the times.

I think that was part of the problem. Sure, they were in on the joke, but the joke still wasn't funny. I could tell it was trying very hard to be clever, but it never pulled it off. Hopefully they figure it out.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Yoshifan823 posted:

I do not care what any of you people think, Modern Family is still one of the most well written shows on TV.

edit: The Dunphy parts, anyways. The other two thirds are still very good, but I'd watch hours upon hours of Phil, Hailey and Luke doing everything together.

Agreed. Back when I didn't watch the show, I would get so mad when they were nominated for so many Emmys. Then I started watching it.

Carry on, Emmys. You at least get that part right.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Josh Lyman posted:

In reflecting on the pilot, I said it felt like a 90s movie copy of The West Wing, and episode 2 didn't convince me of anything different.

So it felt like The American President?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Shageletic posted:

So you think Modern Family is better than Parks and Rec, Its Always Sunny, Louie, Veep, 30 Rock, or any other good comedy show in the last handful of years?

I didn't say it should win, but I think it's among the best in the last handful of years, yes. Parks and Rec and 30 Rock would be my favorite comedies of the last several years. And I certainly laugh harder when watching Modern Family than when watching Louie (which, while good, very often doesn't feel like a comedy). Sunny, you have to admit, is not for everyone. I've not watched Veep.

Look, I'm just saying it deserves to be nominated. Unlike Big Bang Theory.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Irish Joe posted:

The first season of Modern Family is really, REALLY good.

My favorite episode of the entire show was recent. Just last year, in the hotel with Stephen Merchant. It's still incredibly good.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I'm watching Arrow, and really enjoying it (it's basically a Batman TV show), but I'm on episode 8 of season 1, and holy poo poo the actress playing Huntress is just the worst actress I've seen in recent memory. Holy poo poo.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Postal Parcel posted:

Selfie and MLS are also dead, in case that wasn't obvious.

Good. The second episode was not an improvement. That show is awful.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Manhattan Love Story.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

DrBouvenstein posted:

There was also some show with Tea Leoni working for a magazine.

The Naked Truth.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Josh Lyman posted:

I was never a huge Simpsons fan and haven't watched it in years, but when I was a kid in the late 90s, I came across the audio in this clip and thought it was hilarious. I even had my dad listen to it.

I forgot about it after, but lately, it seems to be making a comeback in Reddit comments. Is it actually a thing that I was just oblivious to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_pqnsKWlpc

Everyone I know is very familiar with this clip. "That's bad" and "That's good" are commonly said in a Homer voice between my friends and I. It's one of my more often quoted bits.

Yeah, it's a thing.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

And a lot of fun to watch in Doctor Who. My favorite companion. And she's good in Guardians of the Galaxy (underused, though).

To be fair, she is awful in Selfie, it's not just the material. Though the material is also awful.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

zoux posted:

It's revenge for all of us being confused by "News at 11" jokes for half our lives.

When I was a kid, I was very confused by WGN's "7 o'clock movie" always starting at 8. Then I learned about WGN being based out of Chicago, and time zones. Still always felt weird to me, but I did live the privileged "East Coast Time Zone" life.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Mo0 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzdRQCnDBlw

This aired on Adult Swim last night, at 4AM, in a slot otherwise marked for infomercials.

It's one of the best deconstructions of television I think I've ever seen, and it's amazing.

It also reminds me that I am a horrible horrible TV show intro nerd. :(

This is awesome. I, too, lost it at Smarf.

edit: I probably should have waited until it was done before I posted. It keeps getting better and better.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 7, 2014

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

lelandjs posted:

Chris Hardwick got his first gig hosting a dating show for MTV in the 90's and it shows.

Opposite Jenny McCarthy, if I remember correctly.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Flashpoint was pretty good.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Toxxupation posted:

Serial comes out on Thursdays

Why do you keep bringing up Serial in the TV show thread? We have a subforum for podcasts.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I went ahead and made a thread for The Librarians, since a few people were talking about it in here.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3686964

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

HUMAN FISH posted:

Pretty sure the only people who watch Newsroom are people who want to get outraged by it.

I've been a big fan of the show for it's entire run.

This most recent episode was legit awful. And not just for the rape discussion. I can't believe this is how Sorkin wrote the second to last episode of the show.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

sbaldrick posted:

Which episode is that? As I have it watch it.

"The U.S. Poet Laureate", season 3, episode 16.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

zoux posted:

The only reason to care about awards is that they matter to the public and to executives and if a show is on the bubble awards can save it. Awards can mean more people watching and you want people watching shows you like. I don't think awards are a measure of the quality of a show or the loyalty of a fanbase, but in the business of television, they do matter.

Pretty sure they saved Brooklyn 99 last year. I remember hearing how it wasn't a lock for renewal, but after winning best Comedy, Fox basically said, "Well, I mean, sure we're going to renew it now."

I may be misremembering that though.

• Locked thread