Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

OneDeadman posted:

But on topic, in Splinter Cell Blacklist, I really like how the stealth AI will notice if say you leave a door open or sometimes if you take out a guy's buddy they'll realize they're gone and start searching around.

Also in Blacklist, the Sonar Goggles, which have replaced the thermal goggles since Conviction, work pretty much as you'd expect the old SC thermals to work... but with sonar instead because :science:. There's a mission in London where the weather is kind of awful, and every time there's a thunderclap in the distance, your sonar goggles static out a bit because of the noise overload.

Despite this, they are weirdly unaffected by gunfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Babe Magnet posted:

In Crysis 3 when you look down you see someone else's feet.

:golfclap:

A little thing I like in the ArmA series is the ability to hit ALT to swivel your head to look around, instead of rotating your entire upper torso like a Disney animatronic.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

LoonShia posted:

I know you can choke people out, Goon Sirs. What I meant is that there ought to be a non-lethal alternative to the sword, something you can use once you've been spotted.

The non-lethal alternative is the fact that you can teleport and your pursuers cannot. Dishonored was really good at breaking the quicksave/quickload habit instilled by older stealth games because it gave you a mountain of options once poo poo went pear-shaped and you needed to make a quick exit. My favorite moments in that game were when I hosed something up and had to improvise a hasty retreat.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
I love that the mechanics of the RIG health spine are actually consistent in-universe too, so when an NPC takes a tumble in a cutscene for instance, you can actually see their health go down a tiny bit.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Give Reach a look if you haven't, it's actually well worth playing. I'm generally not a fan of prequels, but it manages to be the rare exception that is its own big stand-alone thing without infringing on the main series with endless "wink-wink, we're setting up THIS". It even works in setting up the first game at the end by turning it into a very meta-knowledge moment of "Oh. I'm definitely not surviving this :stare:.

It's also Bungie's swan song before 343 ran the series into the ground.

There were quite a lot of little things in that game, one of my favorites being a return to the Covenant aliens (even the usually comedic grunts) speaking their own native languages instead of English like in 2 onward. It did a pretty good job of making the alien invaders inscrutable and menacing again.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

EmmyOk posted:

Also whatever camouflage and facepaint you have equipped, in cutscenes Snake will be wearing it which is very :3:

This ended up sabotaging all the gravitas of the end of my first playthrough since I never found the snow camo and therefore had to fight The Boss in the whitest outfit I could cook up: the scientist labcoat and zombie facepaint. I felt a lot of the dramatic impact of everything that happened after that was somewhat lessened by Snake's Doctor Skeletor cosplay routine.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Elite Dangerous (AKA Euro Spacetruck Simulator) has a very neat diagetic interface, in that every menu save for the pause menu is displayed as holograms projected into your ship's cockpit. For example, you can either bring up your contacts menu by hitting the hotkey for it, or you can toggle freelook and swing your face around the cabin until the menu pops up. It's all very seamless and works well to give you the impression that you're a dude flying a thing rather than the usual space sim thing where you basically are your spaceship.

Occasionally, if you make poor decisions while bounty hunting like I do, you also run the risk of having your cockpit smashed up by an enemy you really should've known better than to pick on. Not only does this leave you frantically looking for the nearest spacedock with repair facilities before your emergency life support runs out, but any bits of your canopy that've been wrecked also stop displaying relevant HUD information.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Polaron posted:

Assault Horizon wasn't bad, it was just very different (helicopters, bombers, being set in the real world). I actually enjoy Assault Horizon quite a bit, though not nearly as much as AC5 or Zero.

Did you forget about Dogfight Mode? I wouldn't have even cared about the other additions or not being set in Strangereal, but DFM was a completely atrocious and unnecessary addition to the franchise. It was a shame too, because the new graphics and damage engine they rigged up for AH was absolutely gorgeous.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

PunkBoy posted:

It's funny, because a lot of people thought Dogfight Mode was just going to make the game "EZ Mode," but shooting down a lot of the tougher enemies was pretty difficult. It was an interesting mechanic that was handled clumsily (although I felt that it made multiplayer more interesting and fun), but I still enjoyed Assault Horizon. At the very least it had a great soundtrack and one of the best QTEs ever in a game. "Press X to fist pump."

As for which AC to play, I'm a fanboy so I'll say all of them, even 6. But definitely 5 and Zero at least. And heck, even Infinity's single player missions are neat. I hope against hope for a current-gen game. :smith:

Dogfight Mode would've been tolerable if it had simply been another option for you to use, but the moments in the campaign where they forced you to use it just made me loathe it as a feature.

I did genuinely like the helicopter missions though. When the game came out, there were folks complaining that an AH-64 wouldn't be able to pull off the aileron roll it does in the game to dodge missiles, but it turns out you can actually do that in an Apache:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTtX6GF6D3I

Also, I was immensely disappointed that you don't punch yourself in the face if you miss that QTE.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Samfucius posted:

Did anyone else notice in the emblem editor you can make a perfect Dairy Queen logo?

I've never looked back

My friend's:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Nuebot posted:

I'll be honest, I do miss the old snake voice actor. This one sounds too serious considering how much time I just spend throwing people around and tying sheep to balloons.

Wait until you research the Rocket Arm because the moment you hear Keifer Sutherland scream "ROCKET PUUUUNCH" without a hint of irony is one of the many amazing things about game of the current geologic era MGSV.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Sniper Party posted:

Yes, there is a box picture. I went for a simple reference:

From "BOX", two phantoms were born...

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Gonna add to the Fallout love-in but I am flabbergasted that the game somehow turned collecting vendor trash into a compelling gameplay element with the crafting system. Basically, all the junk that would normally weigh you down in other games like old typewriters and toy cars can now be broken down into component parts for weapon and armor mods, and community improvement for your various settlements. I didn't quite realize how much this changed the dynamic of the scavenging aspect of the game until I realized I was selling unused ammunition to a general goods merchant in exchange for desk fans and broken cameras.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

AlphaKretin posted:

I'm not sure exactly where to put this, but I recently played Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and Armstrong at one point says verbatim that he'll "make America great again".

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Your Gay Uncle posted:

There was one email in the Chinese Lab that read something like " in order to conserve bandwidth each employee is required to delete all but 4 emails".

You left out: "Note: this message counts as one of your allotted four emails."

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

skooma512 posted:

Test Drive Unlimited had drivable Hawaii

Both of them did. They were mediocre racing games at best, but no open-world racing game since has come close to matching them in pure scope I think. To give some perspective, both TDU and TDU 2 modeled Oahu (and also Ibiza in 2) in 1:1 scale with no invisible walls. In both games, the ultimate races are time trials where you circumnavigate the island, which will take ~50min in the fastest performance car you've got.

The racing part of the games was not particularly strong but drat if they weren't great games to just put on some chill music and cruise around to.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Wild ARMS 1 played with this a bit; in Jack's introduction, he's breaking into an ancient ruin and the name select screen is also the password for the part of the ruin he wants to get into. Obviously, putting in any old name opens a trap door and the rest of the tutorial plays out, but if you actually put in the correct name (Emiko), the dialogue actually changes slightly and he mentions how weird it is that the password is also his own name. Then he hits a bunch of other random buttons to see what happens and the rest of the scenario plays out as normal.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Thin Privilege posted:

I vividly remember asking the MGSV thread if I could do "BOX BOX BOX". I was SO loving EXCITED when People told me I could. Designing my emblem of 2 "box" words and a cardboard box. Box forever.

3 posted:

From "BOX", two phantoms were born...

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

RyokoTK posted:

Far Cry 2 and 3 were straightforward self-centered survival stories. The entire series has kinda been focused around that.

Far Cry 4 has you intruding on a civil war in order to finish a personal pilgrimage, and you have to choose which leader of the Good Guy Team you want to win, only it turns out Both Sides Are Bad.

The game doesn't in any way bother to address the fact that you're casting your lot with gross shitheads for personal gain, because your enemies, the Not Northern Koreans, are also bad. It's really tactless and dumb. Thankfully the game is still good Far Cry stuff.

e: Also whether or not you side with Amita or Sabal gives you different missions, but their missions are not internally consistent. It's not like one path is the stealth path and the other is the combat path. It's literally asking you to make the dumbest moral choice in gaming.

Alternatively, you can just wait 15 minutes at the beginning of the game like a considerate loving houseguest and Pagan Min comes back and resolves your entire personal journey immediately and with no enmity whatsoever. Far Cry 4's "dumb moral choice" hinges entirely on the protagonist succumbing to video game logic and antagonizing the first person in the game who shows them genuine hospitality.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Who What Now posted:

That game was amazing but holy loving poo poo the main character was a goddamn moron. I don't remember how many times the very simple concept of copying was explained to him and he still didn't get it even at the very end of the game. It's not that difficult of a concept, dude!

I feel like it's a little more understandable when you consider that the Simon you specifically play as for the majority of the game (barring the post-credits sequence) has "won the coin toss" every single time his consciousness was copied over, so it's not a stretch to think that despite all the times it's been explained to him, he still makes the default assumption that he'd end up as the copy on the ark rather than the one left behind. Remember, the first time he gets copied into the pressure suit, he's shocked and angry at the fact that he has to abandon/kill the "original" Simon, so it stands to reason that given his experiences, he'd still assume that he'd be the one launched into space rather than the one left to rot under the sea.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

thecluckmeme posted:

(still SOMA spoilers): Simon never wins the coin toss, IMO. It's part of the point of the game that it's only copying, not transferring a consciousness. Our perspective changes every time because it's a gameplay conceit, but when Simon goes from the diving suit to the high-pressure suit, the Simon we played as before the transfer is dead. It's just copying his consciousness, and the copy believes a transfer occurred, but it's the same thing as the cult which kill themselves after the scan.

He should have known what to expect far, far earlier. Especially given that the version which is launching the Ark is the second transfer that's occurred, and he knows that his human self lived a long life before the transfer into the diving suit occurred.

That's basically what I mean though, from our perspective, we experience every "transfer" but if you really map out what's going on, we play as one singular Simon throughout the entire game (again, excepting the post-credits sequence). Because of the way the copying mechanism works, we just happen to inherit the memories of the other iterations and thus we feel like the one we're playing as has "won the coin toss" when in reality, he's just another copy of a copy. From a distance, we know that the "coin toss" analogy is flawed, but to a consciousness that has been copied multiple times, it's not a stretch to think that the assumption would simply be that they'd always be the one copied over rather than the one left behind (see also: The Prestige).

Also the Simon in the diving suit is only dead if you chose to kill him, you monster :v:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Who What Now posted:

We, the player, jump between multiple Simons. There is always an original and a copy, and the player's view always jumps to the copy except for the final time. And then we get to see the post credit sequence anyway. We don't play the same Simon the whole way through.

The only time we switch Simons is after the credits, for the rest of the game we are and always were playing as hardsuit Simon experiencing the existences of other Simons retroactively. The entire game is a framing element to set up the notion that agency is itself an illusion, because just like in real life, our lived experiences are post-hoc rationalizations of our actions; no one actually lives in the "present," our lives are simply the immediate recollections of the past filtered by our consciousness. The point SOMA sets up (and the real actual little thing I love about the game :v:) is that this doesn't change if your consciousness is copied and your memories are retained.

Swear that's the last time I'll talk about SOMA in this thread. In another, far more recent game, a little thing I like about Everspace (which is a roguelike space action game that plays like Freelancer had a drunken one-night stand with FTL) is that the in-game narrative justification for the player persisting through multiple randomized permadeath runs is that it's actually your copied consciousness persisting through a series of cloned bodies and oh jesus christ it's the same thing as SOMA isn't it

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

RagnarokAngel posted:

The stoic voice overs of that scene give me chills every time. Its easy to see why its so beloved.

The voice actor for Fleet Intel earned the hell out of his paycheck for his delivery. An absolutely spot-on rendition of a consummate professional barely keeping it together.
Kharak is being consumed by a firestorm. The scaffold has been destroyed. All orbital facilities destroyed. Significant debris ring in low Kharak orbit. Receiving no communication from anywhere in the system... not even beacons.

EDIT: Also the end of that mission:
Subject did not survive interrogation.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Talking about Gunpoint achievements and no one posts this one? Shameful.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And Legends is apparently the distant future where even baseline 'humans' are basically cyborgs and don't even know it. (doesn't X5 or something have said space colony have some Mega Man Legends foreshadowing?)

In Legends, the "humans" on the planet are actually "carbons," which is basically what the terminology for cyborgs gets corrupted to long after potentially several apocalypses. The game specifically uses this to justify why so many people are able to effortlessly swap out their normal limbs for robot parts, and in the second game it's revealed that the last pure human actually died before the events of the games.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Johnny Aztec posted:

You know that "special blood" thing exists in reality,right? It's called genetics.

I mean technically you're correct, just not in the way you think. Royals all thought they had "special blood" too, which is why they kept loving within the family and eventually ended up with genetic disasterpieces like Charles II of Spain:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Necrothatcher posted:

I got the Switch Arwing version of this as a Christmas present and it remains unopened. I was worried the game would be balanced around buying more new plastic ship parts - is there anything stopping you playing with the default set?

Incidentally, the Starfox content is remarkably well integrated, with cutscenes and character dialogue revamped to integrate them, and the Arwing is the only ship in the game that has default weapons outside of the Starlink stuff (the regular twin lasers/charge laser). A fun detail is that even the comm sound for the Starfox characters is different, with the main characters having a default comms chirp but the Starfox guys using the sound from Starfox 64.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Samuringa posted:

There's so much about the story of the Nomai that is just life happening and you feel powerless because there's not even a tangible threat or person you can feel angry at for any of the events. The Nomai didn't have anything to do with the supernovas, the universe is just dying naturally. They didn't die out due to their own hubris or pursuing a dangerous technology, The Interloper simply happened one day and the two that managed to find it died before contacting anyone else(That information tree being displaced from every single other is a particular jab that I can't imagine any other game landing as well). The Vessel wasn't attracted by the Eye for a trap or with any sort of intent, they just warped in the wrong place, in the wrong time. No one ever heard of this clan again and hundreds of thousands of years later they're known for being the only Vessel to never return, every single Nomai and their feats lost to oblivion. The Escape Pod that was stuck in the Bramble whose passengers tried to reach the Vessel in one last salvo, only to instead get to a dead end due to the space distortion and dying alone. The other two groups that did manage to set up their bases eventually just losing their drive, to the point of wondering if the Eye even existed or what it could possibly be to be worth all this suffering.

It's a melancholic tone carried over the playthrough that doesn't get overdramatic or forced, some things just happened and everyone tried their best. Sometimes it just didn't work.

One of the nicest and most heartwarming things about the Nomai is if you put in a huge amount of effort and figure out how the quantum moon works, you can have a conversation with Solanum, the last surviving Nomai in the solar system. This is neat by itself, but if you do end up talking to her, she also shows up at the campfire in the ending and she adds her own instrumentation to the song everyone plays to remake the universe.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Probably the most out there example of engine use for me is the fact that Elite: Dangerous, the spaceship sim game, is built on the same cobra engine that powers Rollercoaster Tycoon 3.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

If you kill the replacement tutorial guy a couple of times you get this:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Counting tabletop RPGs, Lancer has the Monarch.

It's also a videogame now!

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Yeah, a lot of credulous gamers only took the surface level "you're a bad person for playing this game" read from Spec Ops rather than the obviously intended "you should critically examine the media you consume, especially in this genre."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

sebmojo posted:

ok 2nd best

:colbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VjgZwyQi48