Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

I know this game, I think. I played it once and regrettably did not play it forever. What is this from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

It used to be on Steam, but it got pulled for some reason (likely to do with rights of something or other). I don't think people are particularly clamoring for the rights issues to be sorted, since it's not especially a well loved classic.

Unless you cheat, get access to everything and use it as a movie maker instead of a studio sim. There used to be a website that you could upload to and man, there were some good rear end movies people made.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007
So I just got Viscera Cleanup Detail on Steam for like $7 and sweet god drat is that a fun game.

You're a space janitor. Cleaning up a space station. AFTER the hero has shot up all the aliens.

Blood, guts, dead bodies, green goo, bullet holes, everything is there. Hell, you even have to pick up the bullet casings, put them in a big tub, then incinerate the tub. You have to wash your space mop off in a bucket, then change the bucket out when its dirty.

I bought it as a joke, like 'Ok, let's see what this is then' but I CANNOT STOP PLAYING!
My favorite little thing is the humor. When you quit it asks things like "Religious Break Hour?" or "Off to your Psych Evaluation?" instead of "Do you want to exit?" The humor is impressive, although sparse.

It's an early release, but I recommend it.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

I thought you were talking about the added extra to Shadow Warrior, which I didn't like that much, and only now realize there is a whole separate game!

If you buy the..normal (?) game, you get the Shadow Warrior add on (extra game?) and also the "Santa went crazy and killed the elves one. Not sure if these are extra levels you install and play separately or extra games with their own collection of levels. Have barely stopped playing with all the rear end-hole physics in the first level of the space station.

Also, I have to say this is the most well put together early release I've found on Steam.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

In Dwarf Fortress your fort can be attacked by a necromancer that will raise any corpses/body parts it find lying around. Civilian dwarves will get an unhappy thought for being attacked by anything, zombies included, but all dwarves will get a special unhappy thought if the zombie is their relative.

I DESPERATLY want to get into dwarf fortress. Badly. Are there any really good how tons or beginners guides or... instructions?

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007
Ho-Lee poo poo, you guys. Shadows of Mordor.

I was never a big batman fan and the Arkam games felt.. buh.. to me. This has a very similar fighting mechanic but it just feels better with a sword than with fists. I guess I like killing Uruks more than knocking criminals out. The best part about this game though is when you're hunting down a nobody captain, a new guy who sucks, and then there's like 2 or 3 other captains there and they ALL suck. It's great to knock down a few pegs all at once.

Know what DOESN'T rule? Going after a nobody and having that one captain who has power 20 (you know the one) call you out like, "Hey rear end in a top hat, having fun? Not anymore."

But then I run and laugh and circle a big rock, stealth killing the train of Uruks walking around looking for me in a straight line. Is good fun. Then I die because Mr. The Crazy hits like a train. Then I cry and my fun is over. 10/10

Edit: I could barely stop playing to write this. The 'Best little thing' if you couldn't tell is that this game will beat the poo poo out of you, but you keep coming back because at least 75% of the time, YOU are beating the poo poo out of IT. There's no boring parts, there's no slough to something new. It's fun without being too GTA-y. Too.. do what you want. And it's not too hard, it's not even unfair. Everytime I died, it was because I risked dying on purpose. "Hey, maybe I'll kill that smug son-of-a-bitch this time. oops, nope."

The best little thing is I didn't get bored of it immediately and it's randomly generated (the captains) enough so that in the back of my head, I know that other players will have different stories than I. It's fun, and that's a big thing for me. I'm the kind of guy who puts a game down 2 days into it because I "get it and its just a lot of the same thing"

Arx Monolith has a new favorite as of 00:05 on Oct 7, 2014

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

RubberLuffy posted:

Dharg The Mountain.

My re-occuring gentleman was a spear throwing nobody who killed me early on, and got the Title, "The Puny". He got scars, then he got a bag over his face with holes for eyes and mouth (or bandages or whatever). I must have killed him 10 times at least. He wasn't even a threat. He'd show up when I was getting my rear end handed to me, but I still had time to show him the meaning of pain.

Kinda sad he doesn't show up anymore. :(

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Xoidanor posted:

My favourite thing in Shadows was when I first got died to some random grunt 5 minutes into the game and he gets named "the legend". I just knew in that moment that I had to get him all the way to the top. :allears:

Which is a fun thing to do, too. Help him in duels and ambushes. Be his little guardian angel (of stabbity death).

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Captain Lavender posted:

It's also great how fast Talion climbs, without having to learn a new climbing move 2/3 through the game (ahem AC2).

He jumps what.. 12 feet in the air to grab the side of a flat clifface? Dude's a superhuman.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007
Shadow of Mordor

When you cross the sea with your orc army , guess who was waiting for me? Grisha the Puny. That god drat punk kid who killed me, became a captain and then got a severe beat down from me at least 15 times only to finally die. or so I thought. It was good to see him, bag over his face and all. I know he's mostly skull with a few chunks of meat under there, so I felt good to see him alive and kicking. Infact, I alt-tabbed just to type this out and tell you all how PROUD I am of ol' Grisha the bag-faced, never-dying, puny son of a bitch. :D

I loving love this game. It can't get enough love.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Kruller posted:

Does he have any fears? If a captain is afraid they lose all their immunities.

They WHAT?! I thought that was just a way of making them run!

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

infinite slow-mo

I had 3 runes on my bow that were all 30+% chance to recover focus on headshot. They must have stacks or all run independantly, because I could pick off as many orcs as I had shots without focus running out. Couple combat brands later, run ahead of the group, pop, pop, pop. Watchin' Uruks.. flail about and then proceed to drop.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

HonorableTB posted:

Revenge wasn't worth it.

That seems to be the only issue here. When you get a genuine Nemesis, and they die, you feel empty. Maybe that's what the whole Batman need Joker/ Joker needs Batman thing is. They like seeing the other one show up, just to fight it out.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Shadow of Mordor is pissing me off! I have a nemesis, and he is goddamned everywhere! I just want to go somewhere and he pops up. I got lucky and killed him once, but he's still coming out on top. He's doubled in power level since I first met him.

And why am I posting in this thread? Because that Uruk is the driving force for me to seek out upgrades. I want to destroy the bastard.

The bitch of the thing is.. you're gonna be sad once he stops showing up. You'll celebrate your victory, but in the back of your mind you will be waiting for him to return. And when he doesn't you'll feel betrayed. "Am I not GOOD ENOUGH for you to come back from the dead AGAIN?!"

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

As a society, we've come a long way from fully textured horse anuses.

And we can never get too far away from it.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

kazil posted:

And what exactly is wrong with orbiting a black hole?

Yeah, we're all doing it RIGHT NOW!

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

You don't but cripple Seth Green does

Whoa whoa whoa. Wasn't Joker gay??

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

"If there is anything I have learned in my travels across the Planes, it is that many things may change the nature of a man. Whether regret, or love, or revenge or fear - whatever you believe can change the nature of a man, can. I’ve seen belief move cities, make men stave off death, and turn an evil hag's heart half-circle. This entire Fortress has been constructed from belief. Belief damned a woman, whose heart clung to the hope that another loved her when he did not. Once, it made a man seek immortality and achieve it. And it has made a posturing spirit think it is something more than a part of me."

:smugbert:

Thank you. I'll try this again later when I want to go to sleep.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007
PS4 is offering Infamous: First Light for free this month. Short game, lots of challenges to do.

It plays out like a parallel dimension version of X-Men: The Jubilee Story. YOur "Super power" is controlling Neon gasses so you weild the might of Razzle-Dazzle. I really gotta play Infamous now, this was my first one of the series.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

The sheer jank shittiness of SR2 definitely adds to the experience for me in a weird way. I can't explain it. Easily the best SR game.

Here's the thing about SR2 and a game that I was playing around the same time. GTA 4.

GTA 4 is like Action Movie: The Game. Heavy cars, suspenseful gun fights, a bit of realism. GTA 4 was the first GTA I actually liked playing for the gameplay and story. It's what I call a Movie Game. Portal and Portal 2 were good movie games. Hell, Portal 2 is on my top 10 MOVIES I've ever seen.
SR2 is like Action Movie: The Arcade Game. You turn on a dime, there's dots on the road telling you where to go, the physics are INSANE, the guns work like they did in GTA 3. It's a game and it knows it. Very "video gamey", if you catch my drift. Which was fine.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

I like how in the web game Trolling you can get a really high Flame Multiplier if you intentionally get a small fact wrong while showing a severe level of indifference

Do you have a link? Googling trolling game comes up with a whole mess of things I don't want.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

Yeah, autism is hilarious. Ever consider having a little goddamn sympathy rear end in a top hat?

Trap..sprung? I'm so sorry to tell you this but...

Seriously though. Go calm down. It's words on a screen on a webpage in the ocean of internet that is all just really numbers in the air. Go do a thing you like and chill. Nobody hates you, we're just poking fun.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Esroc posted:

Another good Skyrim mod that fixes the game is one called Immersive NPC's. It's a huge mod that clocked in at about 4GB last time I used it, but it adds hundreds of new NPC's to the world all with their own unique dialogue and voice actors for each NPC. And If they do repeat voice actors, they do a drat good job of sounding different. And you can talk to these guys for hours.

Welp, if'n ya tell me which mod to get, I may be reinstalling later today.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007
Final Fantasy is dumb and overly complicated and stupid.
Assassians Creed is boring and dumb and stupid.

Shuddap or make a thread about it.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

Helldivers is a horrendous, incestuous mix of Starship Troopers, Warhammer 40k and Starcraft* and I love it.

*all of those things are rip-offs of each other anyway

Can we hear more? Sell me on it. Thats why I read this thread, to hear about games I should play.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Lord Lambeth posted:

You also get to see some bunnies loving in her magical bathing chamber. :haw:

Do I have to play anything of Witcher 1 or 2 to enjoy this masterpiece?

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

I think he lame as gently caress. Sorry bro

I found the Riddler!

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007
Alright, thread. You've done it. Do I need to know ANYTHING about Metal Gear to play Phantom Pain or am I about to watch a bunch of Let's Plays?

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I was going to put in my two cents on coming to Phantom Pain without having played previous Metal Gears, but then I booted up my game to check and WHAT THE gently caress HOW AM I ONLY THREE PERCENT IN!? I mean sure, I've been taking it slowly, but three percent?

Apparently my favorite little thing about Phantom Pain is 'the entirety of my experience thus far' judging by how much of the game that is.

Do YOU feel like you're missing anything from not knowing anything about previous games? I'm a big stickler for continuity so if I have to play only one previous game, I'm gonna have to be all OCD about it and watch Let's Plays of ALL the games.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007
So then the question is this: In what order do the games happen in real time? I'd love to watch them in THAT order. Then maybe do them again in release order. I'm a big fan of things that do poo poo out of order like Lost, but I think I'd like to do something like this "wrong" first, just so that I DON'T know the "Future" even though you're "supposed" to.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

MGSV soldiers are all dumb in their own special way. :allears:

https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_nu0vuaHrgI1sn3f24_480.mp4#_=_

Well there goes getting my brake pads replaced. Thanks, everybody.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007
I don't usually get into Early Access games or Alpha and Beta state things, I buy em if they look really good and kinda check on them every month or so until they're done enough to play and enjoy.

I found a game last Friday and I can't stop playing. It's in Alpha 0.11 and good god drat. Stonehearth is like the Dwarf Fortress I've always wanted. Voxel graphics, full 3D, good camera control, easy UI. The errors I get (it IS in Alpha) are easily worked around and I only crashed the game out once trying something stupid just to see if it worked.
Anyway, the little thing is this and maybe its more common then I think but: The CEO of the company (it's 6 people now, up from 2 when the kickstarter exploded) does live streams 3 times a week of WORKING ON THE GAME. Last night I watched my first and I got to see him make and color and try out all kinds of new objects and recipes. He answered questions, he made jokes, he generated excitement without trying to sell us on it.
It's the first game I've ever had that made me look forward to what's coming next since Minecraft was updating frequently. I didn't realize how much I missed having something fun to look forward to.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Alteisen posted:

If you complete a mission you earn a medal that raises their stats, some of them also have special combat abilities that big boss does not.

Are there limited missions? If so my brain would shut down trying to decide who gets what from a pool of limited experience.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007
Are the upgrade times really so bad as to need to buy in-game coins to speed them up?

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Len posted:

I've just been running around and playing the game while things upgrade. So far right now my biggest problem is lack of Fuel so I can't upgrade Mother Base and I have something like 150 guys in the waiting room.

Mind explaining this? What is fuel, how do you get it? Are they waiting because Base is not big enough?

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Len posted:

That's optional. I could go forward with the plot but I really want to get one of my companions higher in loyalty. So I'm just farting around. 26 hours in and I'm 21% done according to the menu.

See, I like a game that lets you pause. Level some stuff up, fart around, get good at things you suck at, and then moves along the story when you're ready. I hate games with a limited pool of Make-Stuff-Better.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Alteisen posted:

You can also take out the sniper non lethally by bonking her twice with supply drops.

"Artillery Strikes"

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Jia posted:

I just had a sniper battle with Quiet in the mission to recruit her because why the gently caress would you do anything else

You can beat her by dropping ammo on her head. In a big box.
I plan to drop boxes on people like I'm a Looney Toon.
Just bought the game, by the way. I'll be watching the Chip and Ironicus Let's Play of Snake Eater while it downloads.

If I don't like this game, I blame you all.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007
So far, MGSV: Flopping and Falling Hospital Nightmare is pretty good.

Am I correct in assuming neeeevermind. ?

Arx Monolith has a new favorite as of 16:59 on Sep 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Why would you ask that here and not in the MGS thread?

That is a good question. I'll see myself out. Good day, sir.