Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Crowetron posted:

All my weapon choices in RE4 and most games are based on what looks cool. Stats are for nerds.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

is 3 the most "dated" Yakuza now since 1 and 2 have remakes?

I think so, that was its biggest hurdle when I played through a big chunk of the series starting with 0 and the 1/2 remakes. It was a great game, just a step back technologically even with the remastered version.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Explain this, then :colbert:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Morpheus posted:

While Outer Wilds is marketed on the time loop, I think it'd be far more interesting going into the game without that knowledge. I mean, the revelation only hits once but I'd love to see the sort of, like "Okay I'll check out that planet now....wait what's that light? Wait what?"

Yeah, that'd be awesome if they could pull it off, but I don't know how it would work realistically once the game's out. I think about that sometimes for games and movies in particular, like watching Predator thinking it's just about commandos in the jungle, or From Dusk Till Dawn thinking it's a regular crime film. I know there are other games that have made me think that too, I'm just drawing a blank at the moment.

I occasionally hear stories about individual folks who go into stuff like that with no context, but I just don't know how it would work more generally once the topic becomes popular enough to be widely discussed.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Randalor posted:

I know this isn't related to video games, and I understand where you're coming from, but I keep seeing people use Predator as an example for "seeing the movie blind". The opening shot of the film is the Predator ship arriving at Earth. It's literally spoiled at the start of the film.

Whoops - it's been too long since I saw it. But yeah, I always thought the movie would be way better without it, so much so that I forgot it was in there.

Randalor posted:

Terminator 2 works for this though. My wife only saw Terminator 1 and 2 recently, and she was honestly surprised at the plot twist.

That reminds me, I actually did have this experience too! I never saw too much about the movies ahead of time, outside of a few catchphrases with no context, and it totally got me when the terminators meet up at the mall. It was great, it's easy to see how telegraphed it is on a rewatch, but my initial assumptions were too strong the first time around.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

More like oldpainless (with the "pain" pronounced the French way)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Breetai posted:

I simply cannot fellate Titanfall 2 enough for how amazingly good the movement feels.

It's great. As much as I love the Jedi games, they felt like a bit of a backwards step in terms of doing a lot of similar movement for some reason. Maybe it was in the translation to a third-person character.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/iQ23ffj.mp4
I've been having a good time with all the weapon abilities you get in Kirby and the Forgotten Land, but the best part is that you can use them on all the Waddle Dees you bring back to the central town :hellyeah:

Yes, they get up and shake it off a second later, who cares

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

The worst part of it was the final boss's final QTE where you have to both wiggle the analog stick WHILE mashing one of the face buttons. That was the most stressful QTE I've ever had to do, although what it resulted in was pretty rad.

I'm going back through MGSV, and that type of QTE happens when you get to close to sleep grenade gas and have to force yourself to stay awake. No, I didn't do it three times in the first encounter I used those :arghfist::saddumb:

But speaking of MGSV, I just ran into my favorite little thing:
https://i.imgur.com/z6RetQ5.mp4
He's gonna help me fulton so many guys :luca:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, it feels like we've been in a state of more incremental graphics upgrades for a long time now, but MGSV regularly has me consciously thinking about how good it looks every time I play. Especially all the bloomy lighting effects at night, they did a great job there.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Idiootti posted:

Also the engine was crazy optimized, my shitbox computer from 2010 ran it at 60 fps. Sad that the engine was never really used for more.

Eight soccer games wasn't enough? Greedy much??

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Playing Jedi Survivor and still a fan of using your lightsaber as a flashlight.

Hell yeah, one of the all time great uses of lighting in games.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I wish full weapons customization was back, but I haven't seen it on the mod sites. The most extensive mod I've seen on the mission design side is a big pack of side op missions. It doesn't actually change the game world, though, it's more just a bunch of simple "rescue people/things" objectives where they sprinkled in a bunch of more elite enemies with high end gear.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I just realized Blast Corps is in the Switch's N64 library now, and I finally got to play it after only getting to read about it in Nintendo Power back when it came out. And it feels like it's as enjoyably bonkers as I'd hoped. Tired of powersliding various heavy work machines through buildings to clear a path for the runaway nuke carrier? How about jumping into a flying mech suit and butt stomping some skyscrapers instead. I don't know if it's a little thing, but the whole premise is great. It feels like a breath of fresh air for Rare, when I'm not a huge fan of their platformer-centric N64 offerings.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

Had a blast with it as a teen other than the loving dump truck stages because I could not wrap my strange child mind around the concept of drifting, let alone make the controls work with me.

Haha, the dump truck was the first thing that came up when I mentioned the game elsewhere. I was aware of it from having read about the game back in the day, and yeah, trying it in person is...something. We'll see how it feels outside the intro stage, but at least the other vehicles seem fine.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I've started replaying Tears of the Kingdom this week, and I love the moment in these games where you get out of the tutorial and just have a big open map waiting for you to explore however you want. It's such a nice feeling every time, even having played the game before.

Of course it's fun as you get stronger and get more items, but there's something special about setting out with nothing but the stone on your back and a few markers on your map.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, I thought the story was alright in the moment, but nothing to write home about. I'm a lot more tolerant of that when it's in a game I'm actively playing, whereas I'd rather do almost anything than passively sit through the dozenth iteration of an alright Star Wars TV show.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

I feel like it’d be better if it was an AU rather than having to squeeze itself into a hole where it takes place near the movies but without impacting anything that could affect the movies.

Edit: Like the Shadow of Mordor games, which said “gently caress it, none of this is canon anyway” and went hard with derailing anything resembling the original plot.

It'd be pretty funny if it was a stealth version of that. Like, you spend most of the game just offscreen of movie canon, but at the end, surprise! You kill Vader and set things up for full AU shenanigans in the sequel.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Devil May Cry probably had the right idea with the difficulty option that makes both enemies and Dante die in one hit. (Heaven or Hell, wasn't it?) IIRC Dark Souls works similarly, you can really gently caress up enemies quick if you know how but they can still do the same to you, even with the tankiest builds it's only a matter of degree.

Ghost of Tsushima has a lethal mode that's more or less like that, too. I also like its difficulty tuning and options - I was able to master the combat well enough at easier levels that I worked my way up to that level, it felt very rewarding to actually play competently in difficult modes for once.

I remember bouncing off of Sekiro pretty quickly because it was only set at a high difficulty. Its combat is probably great too, but I'll never know because I don't have the patience to start at that level, rather than working my way up to it over time.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Splatoon shotguns are actually the best, because they can also fire out a jet propelled umbrella to bonk enemies in the face with

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Philippe posted:

I'm really impressed by the feature in GoT where the wind blows towards your current objective or map marker. It keeps the Ubisoft clutter to a minimum, and the on-screen UI is already super clean.

I love it, I was curious how they'd implement it on PC. On Playstations you can just swipe the touchpad to activate that (and a few other actions), but I always wondered how it would translate to another system without that feature when the controls are already pretty maxed out otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Philippe posted:

You hit G on your keyboard.

Oh yeah, I always forget people use M+KB :v:

I don't know why I didn't just look up the controller settings, looks like they just changes one of the d-pad directions to be a quick select menu to replace the touchpad controls :ms: