Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Not strictly a flamethrower, but the Flamewall in Rise of the Triad (both original and remake) is always fun. A bunch of enemies all turning into blackened skeletons that collapse into a pile of ash is very satisfying.

Sleeveless posted:

Postal 2 was a garbage game on just about every objective level
Apart from being fun, you mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

haveblue posted:

Pretty sure this is possible in DXHR, even if some of them have to be indirect "chose not to save" or "chose cutscene variant that leads to death" type murders.

Just off the top of my head, I don't think there's any way for the Tongs to die.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

haveblue posted:

You can kill the entire cast of DXIW, though.

Except for the people who never leave weapon-free zones. I vaguely recall there being a bug you can exploit to kill them, but I've never tested it so I don't know if it works reliably. Anyway, it shouldn't count because it's cheating.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

oldpainless posted:

My favorite thing is making geralt meditate while he has a companion. You can mediate for hours and the screen fades in with geralt getting up from sitting there Indian style and I imagine him being dead to the world while his companion just has to stand there and wait hours impatiently for this rear end in a top hat to wake up.

In Skyrim I like to tell my follower to sit on a chair and wait while I get eight hours sleep.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Geniasis posted:

My roommate got that as a hard copy a few years back. It was a lot of fun. I don't recall what happens if you pick all the canonical choices though. Does it just take you through the plot of hamlet?

Pretty much, with a few asides by North criticising the characters/plot.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Just Offscreen posted:

Not always, some people just like to savescum just to ensure they do everything the "right" way, when that might not be the point of the experience. It's like trying to read all the branches of a choose-your-own-adventure book at once.
Who are you or anyone else to say what "the point of the experience" is? If I get more enjoyment out of playing it that way, how is the other way better? If you get less enjoyment from it when savescumming then don't do it. No one's forcing you.

haveblue posted:

You want a button you click and then it tells you that you won? Because that's what a game with no possibility of suboptimal play is, basically.
No it isn't. There are tons of games with no possibility of suboptimal play. Games where you either succeed, or fail to progress, and you just try until you succeed. If you want to be nitpicky, suboptimal play is taking longer to do it than you might have, but even your one-win-button game can take more or less time depending on how long you take to click the button.

TomViolence posted:

It's like different people want different things from their games, or something. Save-scumming can and does cheapen the experience for people who want a challenge or even just a compelling, player-driven narrative from their games, but the temptation remains ever-present.
This is often put forward as a justification for games not allowing save scumming, and it's such bullshit. If save scumming ruins the game for you, just don't loving do it!

Aphrodite posted:

Also if they could just give me all the money and abilities and items at the beginning so I'm not tempted to open the console and generate them, that would be nice.
Yeah, there are a lot of games that would really benefit from a "just loving around" mode where you just have all the stuff from the beginning. Like, Deus Ex: Human Revolution should have a mode where you just start with all augs, unlimited cash, and instant access to a shop that sells unlimited quantities every item in the game. That would be super fun. I know you were being ironic, but you were unintentionally right.

Oh, especially racing and fighting games where cars/characters/whatever are locked and you have to do certain things to unlock them. gently caress that. You want to have a story mode where you have to gradually gain access to stuff, fine, but in single race/fight mode I should be able to just use everything right from the start.

Inzombiac posted:

If you are playing a game like D&D, you are at the mercy of the dice for better or worse. If you roll like poo poo during a session, your Cleric is going to get messed up and you're going to have to adjust.

I view video games the same way. Unless I know it's a bullshit fake choice, I will accept failure and roll with it. If I flub an attack or piss off a character by saying something they don't like (this is not saying something "wrong") then I will try something else. I don't k ow of any video game where you can fail a random chance and not be able to beat the game. it may be insensitive but anyone that complains about "suboptimal play" is always autistic.

The biggest difference is that a tabletop allows for more choice and variety.
No, the biggest difference is that in a tabletop game you're collaboratively telling a story with your friends and the fun comes from telling the most entertaining story, so if your characters do dumb things or gently caress up then you all work together to make the story stay fun and entertaining. In a video game, usually loving something up just means you miss out on a bit of the game, and that's bullshit.

Inzombiac posted:

It's dumb confirmation bias but the percentage chance in XCOM never felt right. 90% chance to hit should not miss 40% of the time.
I don't know why games are still giving percentages like that, because it never feels intuitively right. When you see you've got a 90% chance to succeed and you fail, you feel ripped off, because intuitively 90% feels so close to 100% that you basically read them as being the same thing. Telling you that you have a 90% chance may be accurate, but it's never going to feel accurate and it's going to annoy players and lead to a worse experience playing the game.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

More extreme, actually, though you have the process right. Since only the enemy should ever have sub 50 chances in 90% of cases it's generally a plus for the player. :goonsay:

No, less extreme was right. If you roll n dice and average the result, the higher the value of n the closer your result will be to the median. If you roll a 1 on a single die, you get 1. If you roll two dice and average the result they both need to come up 1 or your average will be greater than 1. You take the odds of rolling 1 (or 6) from 1/6 to 1/12.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Tardcore posted:

I want to play a game as Bernie Sanders
Democracy?

Cleretic posted:

I'm usually all for editors, and god knows a lot of other RPGs need them, but I'd say that Undertale having one would hurt it overall. Part of what makes Undertale work is that it's just one guy, making a game that he wants, warts and all. Sure, bringing an editor in would clean up some of the jokes that feel like they drag on a bit too long, but it could also lead to us losing some of the weirder personal touches that make the game what it is.
It could, but there's no reason to assume that would happen. If the author hires an editor then the author is still in charge, the editor's basically there to offer advice.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Maybe not an "editor" per se, just a guy to point at some dialogue and tell Fox, "hey, uh, make this shorter." Or add break ups to the dialogue.
That is exactly what an editor is.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

McDragon posted:

Yeah, I always have to try the flamethrower in a video game, just in case it turns out to be the legendary Video Game in Which the Flamethrower is Useful. It never is though.

The one in Postal 2 is pretty great - at least, in Paradise Lost it is. It's been too long since I played the original for me to remember whether it was any good in that (or even if it was in the base game at all). Where most video game flame throwers fail is that the enemies don't react appropriately to them. If you get hit, you have to get out of there immediately or you'll die. If they get hit they just keep attacking you (and sometimes set you on fire as well). Games where they work have the enemies run away when you start shooting fire at them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

In other news:

You know, using timg doesn't actually make your 40MB gif load quicker.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Or, you know, timg is to help with it being 1280x720 resolution and to not break tables.

But it's still a 40MB gif. Why are you posting a 40MB gif? You can even embed gifv and webm in posts now, so there is even more reason to not embed 40MB gifs.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

razorrozar posted:

The collectible finder in SR4 was fantastic but collecting all the drat clusters was still a massive pain in the rear end.

But collecting the clusters was fun though. I was kind of disappointed it was over when I got the last one.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Just beat Earthbound yesterday for the first time.

Are you using spoiler tags for a game that came out over twenty years ago? :psyduck:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

And this sounds really neat. I've kinda wanted to play a game of older history people interacting with technology beyond their time ever since Lords of Shadow 2 dropped that ball.

This but in any media. Like, the TV show Sleepy Hollow does a bit of it, and it's done really well where Ichabod isn't dumb, he just doesn't know what stuff is, and I could have watched an entire season of him figuring out the modern world.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I've just been playing Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and it's really fun, but I love how insane the security stuff is.

I was sneaking around the Palisade secure storage bank/fortress and snuck into a security room where I killed a couple of dudes. I thought I was in the clear but someone saw me and instantly the whole place is on such high alert that I can hide in a vent as long as I want and they just keep cycling between searching/hostile/panic. That in itself seems like it's probably a bug, but whatever. I decide to just go do the mission I was there for which was to get some stuff from the CEO's office. Everyone up there is on high alert as well, so I just kill everyone on that floor - and as soon as the last guy dies the whole building stands down. There's still dudes and robots and turrets and cameras on every other floor that were all just waiting for me to show my face, and now they don't care.

Killed two dudes? We will pursue you to the ends of the Earth. Killed about ten more dudes and a robot? You're free to go. Obviously it's not working as intended, but I have no idea what the intended behaviour was and it was hilarious that just killing enough people got them off my back. I went back to the lobby and walked around and no one cared.

Also, love how no one does anything if you steal their stuff or break into houses or walk into the storage rooms of shops - except for one shop where if you go there the owner reacts like you've just started shooting people. Or the other place that's marked as a shop on the map but just walking through the open front door will get you shot.

Another thing: I stole a grenade launcher from a police van just to see if I could and the police instantly went hostile and I died. Fair enough. But when I reloaded I found that the game had apparently autosaved after I got the grenade launcher but before anyone went hostile and apparently that meant I just got to keep it with no consequences. :haw:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

In Deus Ex: Human Revolution, an early mission allows you to kill an entire police department. It's a bad idea and not easy but if you really can't progress it's an option. Every cop in the city will shoot to kill until you get home. At which point the police are fine with you, because otherwise the game wouldn't be able to progress. They're a little snarky when you go back to the police department but that's it.
I've finished that game several times and I pretty much always kill everyone on the upper and lower floors of the police station, just for funsies. Never killed the people on the ground floor though because it's too big a space with no convenient places to hide and snipe from.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Deus Ex reminds me of Resident Evil games like 2, in that the most memorable locations are the domestic spaces like the Banks, Police-Stations, Shops, and Offices instead of the high-tech secret-base in the endgame.
Ever since Invisible War I've wanted a game that's just the hub sections with no story missions. Like, just put all that story mission effort into giving me more side quests and more places to gently caress around in. I get through all the side quests and finish exploring every place I can get then think "oh well, I guess I'll do a story mission then. Maybe it'll unlock some more side quests."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Samuringa posted:

If you shot the gun out of enemies weapons in Perfect Dark they would raise their hands and surrender

Eventually they would get a sidearm and go back to killing, but it was neat.
The stormtroopers in Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy did that as well. Those games were pretty great in general.

Kanfy posted:

Reminds me how surrendering enemies was also a feature they marketed Skyrim with, but in the final version after pleading for a bit all enemies just stand back up and go NEVER SHOULD HAVE COME HERE and attack you all over again until you kill them so it means literally nothing.
Just like the dudes in the original Rise of the Triad from 1995.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Though now I'm wondering if there are any Soap Opera videogames.

I played (and enjoyed) the Desperate Housewives game. As I recall it was sort of Sims-like, but with a plot? Also it was incredibly buggy and I was never able to finish it because it broke.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Phy posted:

The team that made La Mulana also made a flash game called Rose And Camellia, where you play a newly widowed woman who married into old money, and you progress by elegantly slapping the bejesus out of your haughty inlaws

You can play it here.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Leal posted:

Its like they're bad guys or something.

Sure, and we wouldn't know that if they didn't say "bitch" all the time, because that's the only way that could possibly be communicated.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Leal posted:

Its ok for bad people to say bad things, cause then you punch them to make them stop. Its a great motivator.
That doesn't really come across in the game though. The player character doesn't react to the things the goons say and there is no link between those things and their eventual downfall. Even if an individual player specifically chooses to prioritise the enemies who say offensive things, the game will not react to that in any way. The thugs will not change their behaviour.

oldpainless posted:

It’s one of the ways that it’s communicated
Yes, you want the game's villains to say and do things that motivate the player to fight them. Point is, it was a specific and deliberate choice by the writers. They could have communicated the characters' hate/contempt for Catwoman in any number of other ways but they chose that one and it's reasonable to criticise them for that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Turning the HUD on and off manually is fine, but HUDs that fade out after a while are terrible. You shouldn't have to fire your gun or switch weapons to find out how much ammo you have left.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I find it extremely obvious which games practice dynamic dialogue. On one hand you have the Arkham games where the Riddler or Joker have special dialogue to chew you out for taking an alternate path, and Geralt from the Witcher 3 will mention if he investigated before contacting the quest-giver. On the other hand you have games made by a dozen separate studios and the script is set in stone. The amount of base-clearing in Far Cry games is seldom mentioned in the main plot, and I can't resist bringing up the notorious Horatio from Watch Dogs 2 .

I was playing The Cave yesterday and there's a level where you have to steal a dragon's treasure, followed by the dragon escaping because you "left the gate open". Except I got the treasure without ever opening the gate, but the game never acknowledges that. :argh:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ubachung posted:

Spoiler tags are useless for NSFW content. The picture still ends up cached, and some places will sack you based on that alone.

So don't browse the forums on your work computer? You know it's a risk, so use your phone.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

I would pay good money for a game where everyone reacted to your lack of pants, but the story progressed generally as normal. Like, they're not screaming and running away, but the enemies in cutscenes would just look at you like "what the gently caress, dude" before continuing on.

It's purely coincidental, but

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

My biggest problem with Agents of Mayhem was how much stuff you're required to learn immediately. You have three different characters right off the bat and they each control slightly differently, plus there's the new map to learn and the enemy types and the customisations and upgrades and it's all just too much too quickly.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

FutureCop posted:

Similar experience in games like Deus Ex: Human Revolution, where doing a lethal melee kill is fundamentally worse in every aspect to a non-lethal melee skill: it's louder, gives less experience, and the guards don't wake up either way, so why even bother?

The guards actually can be woken up if they're found by one of their friends, it just almost never comes up because the NPCs are locked into fairly small areas and if you take out one enemy in that area then you'll probably either take out all the others or get through so quickly it won't matter.

The only real exception is when you're already being hunted and you're just sneaking around picking guards off one by one, but in that case you're probably just headshotting them with the pistol anyway.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Honestly, that squares, because I feel like one of the worst things about being in the Justice League would be Superman. Anything even remotely big comes up in your area and you've inevitably got Superman asking if he should help out, and you don't actually want to be a jerk to him but you really want to tell him that you can loving handle this, CLARK, go back to being all-powerful somewhere else and let me deal with my side of things!
Not letting Superman help is dumb and irresponsible and just another piece of evidence that super heroes are actually terrible people. If people are in danger and you know someone who could get them out of danger instantly, you'd have to be a real psychopath (or the dumbest person alive) to not give them a call.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Having Superman solve everything every time means villains and the like are only afraid of Superman. If Superman ever goes away, or dies, again, things get much worse because everyone thinks it's free reign to do what they please. Gotta remind the world there are other heroes lurking about to keep things in balance too, and they can generally solve most situations just as well.

Superman can't be everywhere at once. He's not going to be available all the time. But if he's offering to help then you'd be insane to turn him down.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I honestly like how the Arrowverse handles that power discrepancy between friendlies, as an aside. You've got the Green Arrow and his crew, The Flash and his crew, and a ship of outright goddamn time travelers, and they're very happy to collaborate, but it's established pretty early that even for The Flash it's not a totally effortless trip, and for the most part they just get in each other's way when dealing with each other's problems so it's best to just keep distance unless poo poo really hits the fan.

There are a lot of instances in Arrow and Flash where they should definitely be calling their friends for help but can't because it's not a crossover. And the only reason it's not effortless for Barry is because he can only move at a maximum speed of whatever the plot requires. He's literally moved so fast that time was standing still several times and only once was that shown to be an exceptional effort - the other times he just did it for the hell of it. On other occasions he's run to the other side of the planet in a matter of seconds to pick up some food or other inconsequential things. But then when he needs to run super fast to actually beat a bad guy his speed is suddenly capped much lower.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Unavowed is an old-school point-and-click adventure game where you play a character dealing with occult poo poo in New York.

I'm currently doing a let's play of it, in case anyone is interested.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Zombie Guy posted:

Currently playing through Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. I'm enjoying how much STUFF is hidden all over the place to find, and how the game encourages you to try weird things.
I kind of find the opposite is true. Like, if you go off the beaten track at all you'll discover a bunch of weird stuff that Adam will have absolutely no reaction to because he's not at the right point in the right side quest to actually find that stuff out, and then when he does actually reach that point he'll be shocked and amazed because he's only just learning this information now - information that the player saw through his eyes hours/days ago.

It's like the game is basically telling you "don't bother exploring, we'll tell you when you need to go somewhere."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jimmy Noskill posted:

Having Lara speak to people in English and having them speak back in Quecha was worse, since it implied that both characters were bilingual but refused to speak the same tongue for... reasons?
Not unreasonable. Maybe they understand the language OK but don't speak it confidently so they each prefer to speak in the language they're fluent in and which the other person understands well enough.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Oh poo poo, there's a Trine 4? And it's currently on sale too! :dance:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There's a subset of players who hate it whenever things are unavailable or locked off to them. These are the players that refuse to do anything that looks like advancing the plot until they've done every sidequest just in case those sidequests become unavailable later on, and get mad if they missed one and thus can't have a "perfect" savefile. I don't understand it personally, but there's a fair number of people like that, so they can't be entirely discounted when designing games.
It's pretty simple: If I'm enjoying a game, I probably want to play all of it. But that doesn't mean I want to re-play it. So if I miss a side quest then it's just a bit I never got to play because I'm not going to redo all the mandatory bits leading up to it just for that one thing. So yeah, if a game has side quests then I'm going to attempt to do all of them before advancing the story. I'll look them up if I can, and be very annoyed if I miss any.

I feel like even having content that can be inadvertently missed is catering to that tiny fraction of the audience who want to play the game multiple times. Most people either won't finish the game at all or will want to play the whole thing the first time, because there won't be a second.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I love in a lategame level that it turns out that the Doom Slayer is in fact, somehow, THE Doomguy from the original games
I had always assumed that to be the case anyway. Why would he not be?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Incidentally speaking of voice acting and Saints Row, I like how they kept including the character creation in the intro missions and kept the boss in some sort of mask until it was time to "define" them.
Like all prologue missions, those are terrible and SR2 is much better for just putting character creation right at the start and then having only a brief tutorial before you get to go out into the world. Especially since 3 and 4 had stand-alone character creators, so by the time you actually start the game you've likely already designed your character.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Saints Row 3 starts the same way with the robbery, iirc. "Everyone wants to be Johnny Gat :smuggo:".

Yes, SR3 had the terrible bank robbery mission and SR4 had the terrible white house mission. They both involve killing waves of enemies and take way too long.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Doc M posted:

Don't they just sit there for two seconds and then start attacking you again, or is that only in Skyrim?

That annoyed me all the way back in Rise of the Triad. The fact that it's still a thing in multiple games 25 years later is just rubbing salt in the wound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Aithon posted:

The old DOS Dune adventure game became a strategy once you talked to enough Fremen that you actually had an army.

Gann Jerrod posted:

Brütal Legend was sold as a hack and slash action game, but it quickly turned into a strategy game with a third person perspective.
These games both annoyed me. I actually quite liked the start of both of them and then they turn into completely different games that I have absolutely no interest in. Who were they even designed for? Who wants a game to completely change part way through? Even if you like both kinds of game, wouldn't they be better as separate games?