Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

muscles like this? posted:

Red Faction Guerrilla, it had a neat gimmick in the destruction but not a lot else.

Its replay value is increased immensely if you pick up Gibbed's modding tools and start playing around with the weapon tables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Selklubber posted:

Too bad he slaughtered the cops who just were upholding the law and trying to save money for whiskey and cigars for their kids.

The sword fighting in that game was so cool. Not the instant backstabbing, but the dueling with the guards. Using every bomb and skill while barely staying alive. I just wish there was a kick button, the guards have one and it's extremely annoying.

Dishonored with Dark Messiah's kick would be just a few steps away from perfect.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

And in the original DR2 when you play co-op, player 1 and player 2 control two separate Chuck Greenes. It all fits together.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

I don't understand why they would simplify the Nemesis system for the last-gen ports. It's not a computationally expensive thing; you could implement it on a Ti-83 if you were so inclined.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

haveblue posted:

It may be resource-intensive if all the various traits have unique models, textures, audio, or other assets associated with them. The older consoles also probably have a lower cap on the total number of units that can be onscreen which would ruin a lot of the stories people have been telling about the game.

Right, but surely axing the unique models but keeping the reactivity with minimal footprint would be preferable to slicing up the entire system.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Ryoshi posted:

I played through the first 17 chapters of Uncharted pretty much straight yesterday, and while it's clearly an action game with a bunch of over-the-top action sequences I love that Nathan seems really uncomfortable in most gunfights. When he's taking cover, he's practically cowering, and when you pop out to take a few shots he says "oookayyy" like he's trying to steel himself for getting shot at a ton.

It kind of loses its impact since bad guys continually empty clips into him and he's fine after a thirty second breather, but the fact that he's not a gung-ho ultrasoldier lusting for the blood of his enemies is a nice change of pace.

Drake is supposed to be preternaturally lucky; all those times he appears to get hit are actually close misses. Instead of losing health his luck literally runs out. Why that's represented by rapid-onset glaucoma is anyone's guess.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Most games are GPU-bound. They're not pegging your CPU because it's your video card that's the limiting factor.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Bloodcider posted:

You can also do this by yourself as a Diversion in random gas station bathrooms.

It works in the game, too.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

princecoo posted:

Pillars Of Eternity has a companion you can bring along called Eder. His dialogues and VA always make me smile. He's just so good natured, it's funny. At one point he wanted to pet the fox bonded to another ranger companion. Later, the ranger asked him how his hand was, and he said it was purple, and he might have to cut it off. The ranger said she warned him, then Eder goes "Well if you're not supposed to pet him, why is he so soft?!"

He also has dialog for a bunch of the animal non-combat vanity pets. Dude just loves animals.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

The other way, by the way, is personally killing a god.

Like you weren't gonna do it anyway.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

I need a game that lets me play in wingdings.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Listen to Hayter's voice acting in Peace Walker and you'll understand.

MGSV with Hayter would've been too good for this world?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

What if you throw them a ration so they can heal?

I assume chowing down on a corporate sponsored granola bar is still the way you recover from bullet wounds.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

John Pastor posted:

And yet, their loads are hilariously long and buried in unskippable cutscenes.

I would say that their optimization theories are mildly flawed.

The point of all that optimization was to get things to load in anything approaching a reasonable time when reading from an optical disc. We forget this in the age of ubiquitous digital distribution, but optical drives are slooowwww. I'm sure you'd find that an Xbox 360 reading from the disc takes almost exactly as long to load the next area as the cutscene skip lockout lasts.

It's just disappointing they hosed up actually skipping the cutscenes on faster platforms. It's a game I quite enjoy, but I can't stand to replay it because of that annoyance.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

ArtIsResistance posted:

More important is that the bonewheel shield is also back allowing for the return of Twisted Metal PVP

The real question is whether you can powerstance them.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

It's funny how in Dark Souls 3 the Bonewheel Skeletons do the Kaneda slide when turning.

One of these days we'll get Kart Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

My first and last complaint about Mirror's Edge 1 was that you couldn't avoid every combat encounter. Shame if they didn't fix that.