Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Rollersnake posted:

If you end up doing the Master Quest, there's a really evil variant of this where you have to give up a heart container if you don't have the rupees.

On reflection, for its time, the original Zelda had a massive amount of content, didn't it? There are definitely NES games that took me longer to beat, but I think those were all RPGs padded with random encounters. That technically includes Zelda II as well.

Zelda was an early title for the Nintendo Disk System in Japan, which was an add-on to the Famicom that used, well, disks instead of cartridges and so could store a lot more data. By the time it got to America, cart technology had improved so they could fit the game on one and have a battery save (and the Disk System kinda died out for that reason), but there actually were some technological leaps during the NES' lifespan. Super Mario Bros., when it was released, was about the peak of what the NES/Famicom could do, but later they were able to do even more.

So yeah, it was designed to be as big and expansive as possible and that was sort of a quantum shift in console games becoming less like trimmed-down arcade games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
One of the things you can do in Warframe is obtain a companion pet called a kubrow, which is sort of a doglike thing that hatches from an egg you cultivate for a couple of days.

When it hatches you get a prompt to name your pet. Rather, the prompt is, NAME HIM, in all caps commanding you to name your new dog.

I just thought that was funny.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
DC Universe Online is, as one might expect from a superhero MMO licensed from one of the big two comics companies, full of lore and nods to franchise history. One of the things you can do is undertake these little mini exploration quests using kiosks found around the main overworld cities of Metropolis and Gotham. These kiosk tours are voiced by Booster Gold, a wannabe celebrity superhero from the future, who takes on a sort of Troy McClure role as he bluffs his way through historical lectures about the landmarks you've found, works in various plugs, and at one point accidentally blurts out classified information and tries to pretend he made it up. The voice actor gives a really nice performance and it's a great piece of color.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Dicey Dungeons is a fun dice-based puzzley kinda game where you go through a game-show-esque dungeon with various types of characters, who have been turned into walking dice. As you play you unlock different kinds of characters.

But there is a secret class- Bear. The Thief character lets you use enemy abilities, and one enemy- the Alchemist- has a potion with the effect "Transform into a Bear".

This effect is permanent for the entire run. You turn into a Bear, who does big damage with claws. You can't buy new equipment (the shopkeep says they've got nothing in your size) but you can find new abilities in chests and upgrade your claws, and it's actually kinda easy mode. It flips the entire run on its head.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
There’s a cute piece of fan art I’ve lost track of that shows Samus shrunk down inside the morph ball, and she’s sitting in bed watching TV. Just takin’ a break.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I appreciate that the first major "moral choice" type mission in The Outer Worlds is a less-stupid version of the Megaton business in Fallout 3.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

RagnarokAngel posted:

I mean is it though? The "best" middle road option is a neoliberal "capitalism is fine if a nice person is in charge" option which feels really out of touch in 2019.

I mean I never felt the game was manipulating me to a "best" option, just showing me no option was purely good and consequence-free. (I'm given to understand even the "middle road" option does have some negative fallout though I didn't take it myself.)

Dr Snofeld posted:

I think Parvati might be my favourite thing about Outer Worlds.

Yeah I'm liking her.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

RagnarokAngel posted:

It just rubs me the wrong way. It tries to dupe you with a capitalist who's well meaning just has poor optics so you feel bad about tearing it down because hey, there's SOME good people!
And they do it twice because the second planet has basically the same conflict with slight variations. It feels very dated.

At least when the corporation is straight up evil or "pragmatic" it feels more like Caesars legion, where you know exactly what youre being sold.

I get that, but well, nobody said revolution was gonna be painless. The thing is the corporate setup is quite plainly evil and diseased- it's a loving company town, and it's arguably already doomed- but yeah, people who depend on that stability will be scared when it goes away.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
GTA V at least let me skip over that chasing-a-boat-on-the-highway mission after enough failed attempts.

The main problem is in Rockstar’s games the story missions are what you struggle through so you can access more of the sandbox which is the fun part. And missions in sandbox games are actually kinda tricky (even Saints Row 2 has some bad ones.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
In Monster Hunter World: Iceborne, at the new Gathering Hub, you can finally pet your cat.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I feel like QTEs became less of a thing partly because it’s easier in games now to just have mechanics to let the player avatar do a cool thing depending on context sensitive inputs and combos and so on.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

I liked sleeping dogs but I’ll be honest you play as a cop and that makes me uncomfortable

You’re also a Triad member though so it kinda evens out.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

Prototype is better than SR4 because the way the jump is handled.
You press the button and continue to rise until you let go or hit the limit of your jump.

In SR4 you charge the jump and pray it was enough. It sucks.

Does Prototype have a mission where a woman does drugs with a younger version of herself who she’s really ashamed of now, and they get superpowers and race each other and decide to go beat up their evil ex boyfriend, and so she makes peace with who she used to be?

(I legit think SRIV is the greatest sandbox game ever but Sleeping Dogs is also cool because it’s a Hong Kong action movie and has a gorgeous environment to explore and also “Echo Beach” is on the soundtrack)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Olaf The Stout posted:

You probated me, with the only reason being “sounds like you need a pork bun.” If you’re going to arbitrarily probate me for not liking the old boring underwhelming videogame you like I might as well earn it. Pasty Of The Year, you are a loving piece of dogshit. Go jump face-first into a grease fire you fat gently caress.

You're the one who started this whole nonsense, in a thread specifically about things in games that we like.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
From watching a stream, Doom: Eternal is full of little things and loving touches, so I'll just say: everything in the Doomslayer's office.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
One little change is that while Doomslayer would just sorta wreck the UAC drones giving powerups, he's quite careful and respectful with Vega's.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

One thing I love about Doom Eternal is that it isn't ashamed of being a video game. It is full of glowing power ups and ridiculous mechanics and is completely willing to go "hey yeah you're playing a video game and that is fun."

Doom 2016 wasn't terrible about this either with glowing armor and such but Eternal actually goes whole hog and it makes for an infinitely more enjoyable shooter than "I'm trying to be ~immersive~ in a game where I am a 2 ton armored death machine who survives infinite shots and carries 11 guns."

At one point you literally run into spinning fire bars straight out of a Mario level.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The elf character I created for Inquisition ended up looking kinda half-elf, half-horse.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

People complain about it a lot when it happens, even here in the sister thread, but I honestly love it when you unknowingly wander into an area much too high-level for you, or even cross paths with a super strong monster in an otherwise low-level area, and get your poo poo stomped instantly. Either it leads to a really intense, exciting fight like Sandwich Anarchist said, or it’s pretty funny to watch your character suddenly get swatted like a fly.

Generally I think that's the best approach to any RPG-ish game with levels. The difficult part is making sure there's multiple things to do at a given level so you don't feel totally boxed in (though it does help that if, through skilled enough play, you can punch above your weight.)

----

So I picked up Hyrule Warriors: The Definitive Edition- I had the Wii U version but this has a lot more stuff, everything and every bit of DLC from both the Wii U and 3DS releases, etc. I knew about Linkle, the girl Link who raises cuccos and has no sense of direction (and is also one of the best and most OP characters in the game), but what I didn't realize was *she has story missions.*

And it's adorable. Basically she always grew up knowing she'd be the hero of destiny, she has a magic compass she inherited from her grandmother, and when she hears Hyrule is in trouble she sets off for the castle and instantly gets lost, instead wandering into different battles but always being brave and helpful.

She will, when you're not playing her, frequently sing the "got item" music.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Young Link's my favorite character since he can just exchange his special attack bar for magic and steamroll basically any fight at that point.

Yeah in a game full of insane bullshit, Young Link's Fierce Deity Mode is possibly the single most broken insane bullshit ever.

(And it's fine. This game doesn't need balance, it's about becoming a god of battle.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

It'll definitely happen, right? :smith:

Also for some fun, if you have no crossbow charge, press X while standing still and Linkle will make the "got item" song, and she'll also flip up/down her hood.

Hell, Linkle needs her own game.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The Halo series looks a bit better now that every other FPS isn't trying to copy it and the genre has been allowed to grow in different directions. It was annoying when it seemed like everyone was trying to make Halo, but outside of that context, Halo's fun and good and it's easy to see why it was such a big deal.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle has a lot of fun slapstick gags with the titular bunny idiots, but if I had to single out one thing, I'd say everything involving Rabbid Peach.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I generally consider SR4 the best of the series- the writing is just absolutely top notch and the story missions are all incredibly creative. Arguably SR3 is where they figured out to make the story missions over the top setpieces, but I think it reaches perfection here, and Steelport is a lot more fun when you can bounce around it and run to the top of every building.

Though I will say for Steelport in SR3, it's not as varied but it has a very strong Rust Belt "there used to be industry here but now it all kinda sucks" vibe. Which kinda gives the whole game the feel of an 80s action movie.

They're all good games. SR1 even, it's basically completely redundant since 2 does everything it does and more, but the core gameplay is actually better than where the GTA games were at.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

So many times in games that I've been like "whoa this is a tough fight, oh I get it, the old unwinnable fight gimmick, well sure, let's ride it out, what the gently caress game over I'm actually supposed to win this what"

Final Fantasy IX is bad about this because there are a couple of fights that you can't win, but you have to survive a certain number of rounds before the combat ends.

Back to good things! In Dragon Quest III, one early mission you have is to get the crown of Romania back from the guy who stole it. Once you did, the king is so grateful he offers to step down and have you become king in his stead. If you say yes, you are immediately crowned king. You become a guy in fancy robes with no adventuring party, and every NPC in town addresses you with proper respect and deference (including one guy who grouses about how he could've become king, then notices you're right there and apologizes.) You can't leave town, it's too dangerous, and you can't cast spells or use items, such things are beneath a king's royal duties. For a while I thought this was just a trap and I would have to redo a big section of the game, but no- there's a place in town where there are monster fights, and you can find the old king there enjoying common life, and if you ask him he'll take the crown back and you become a regular adventurer again. And the townsfolk even have dialogue indicating they know you used to be king and that was weird and kind of a shame you stepped down.

It's a lot of work for one gag and I really appreciate that. (I'm assuming it was on the original console version, where it's even more impressive because of the NES/Famicom's space limitations.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
DC Universe Online does it kinda nicely. New gear unlocks new styles, but you can just set the style of any piece of your hero/villain's gear to one you've unlocked. Of course a superhero game would have to do it well.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Riatsala posted:

:allears:

Been poking around in Dicey Dungeons again. This game gives greater depth to different player classes than many full fledged AAA RPGs, to the point that I play the game not because I'm in the mood for Dicey Dungeons per se, but because I want to play a deck builder or play a spell book builder or play a straightforward hack 'n' loot warrior.

Also bear run is loving hilarious

Yeah Dicey Dungeons has a LOT going on.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Someone posted a map of the original Central Shroud in FFXIV and it was just a bunch of intersecting corridors.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I will put in a nice thing about FFXIV that I just happened upon. There's one wandering FATE (think quests that anyone can just join in on if they're passing through, though if you're way overleveled you have to temporarily sync to a lower one) that's a monster that's been terrorizing a town. Specifically, it's a strange hairball known for making people go bald. The monster's name is Gossamer, which is a reference to this.

I mean I thought it was cute.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I am having a hard time narrowing down a single little thing about Knights and Bikes, because it's so much of a piece- the look, the feel of kids having make believe adventures, the writing, the character designs, etc.

But I'll say two things. One is a companion character you get early on- a goose named Captain Honkers. Honkers will catch the scent of things and run off in the general direction you're supposed to go, accompanied by kazoo music. At times he will look at the ground in confusion because there is no food, so you feed him and he's happy. You can also pet the goose. He's a nice goose.

The other is the theme song. It rules.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Hades: You can pet Cerberus.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

They actually put in that line specifically to head off questions as to why you can't pet all 3 heads individually (because the real answer is that it would have been a lot of work).

Similarly, Zagreus has no "sitting" animation, so any time you add a chair to the hub area he'll comment on how he'll never sit on it anyway.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
There are so many JRPGs where it's not just that they're long but you can tell they had a perfectly good ending but needed to keep going so the story is REALLY about this now instead

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that’s the thing with WoW, there’s good individual quest lore and NPC dialogue and they make fun cutscenes, it’s just the overarching storylines they gently caress up consistently.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Even in the first game it was kinda hilarious that a single purse snatching would put you up against a dozen guys. Must be some kinda make-work project.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

grittyreboot posted:

It's baffling that Chrono Trigger isn't on the SNES Classic or Switch

SquareEnix is weird about its older games. It’s a fair bit they don’t have the source code anymore.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

Oh lol, I'm so trained to not let it run out I never quite did that.

Yeah it took me a little while to figure out too.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Tall Tale Teller posted:

On the subject of Geralt; I didn't play any of the witcher games until 3 went on sale for the Switch last year and I always assumed Geralt was some sort of dumb grimdark conan analogue. Like a beefy barbarian fuckman.

Boy was I wrong. He's a witty, urbane, sarcastic and hilarious dude, totally not how I expected him. I went in to the series basically blind so it was really great to be pleasantly surprised. He's basically the opposite of that big angry jock fucker from God of War.

Yeah the writing and voice acting really go a long way to selling the character. Geralt's a bit grizzled and world weary but he's basically a good guy, wants to help.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Rockman Reserve posted:

I love how some of the stuff in the Souls games sounds like ridiculous playground rumors. "If you walk out from this specific corner you'll be on an invisible walkway and can find a secret!" "One of the statues in this room is secretly a disguised NPC!!"

That is the old-school part of the games I do like, that there are these weird secrets and things to find that the game doesn't necessarily point you towards.

I'm just bad at the combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Apparently also at some point there was going to be a mechanic involving tattoos as a source of magic?