Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Combining the two seemingly disparate worlds of bioshock and ascii art, a former bioshock 1/2 level designer made a program to create and animate ascii art called playscii.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Is it Ashly Burch or has the game industry finally found another voice actress that they will let do “manic excitement”?

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
Oh, Tunic; I wanted to love it but it really let me down towards the end.

Non-instruction manual / non-plot spoilers: the boss rush where they take away your upgrades and lock you in an area
I hate when they do each of those things separately, and they combined them. Absolute rage quit moment for me.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009

credburn posted:

I tried to do a no-reload run as a solo escaped slave. His only friend was his dog. One day he got so depressed he decided to kill the dog. Man was he sad after that.
:stare:
That sounds like the story behind one of those “write a sad story in only six words” things. “My only friend; I killed him”.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I'm not really that into racing games, but ngl this Forza chat is making me want to get it, I assume it's horizon 3 that's got all this stuff?
They’re up to 5 now

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
After all, if he had an easy time getting a fancy new monitor he’d be oledpainless

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

https://twitter.com/ResiFacts/status/1388458176362782735?s=20

He also sounds a lot like Peter Falk and eventually goes off to write detective stories instead of fighting monsters.

What’s with the weird Columbo resurgence in Japanese games? He’s also in that mobile final fantasy gacha game.

Okay maybe resurgence is overstating it but it’s weird it happened twice.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009

Morpheus posted:

For me I've found it's not necessarily the water, but the vastness, that gets me on edge. Like, in Outer Wilds I hate Giants Deep of course but also hate when I'm in space and my ship isn't, like, directly next to me. First time I fell into the black hole I needed to pause and catch my breath.
Oh my gosh, yes. I don’t think any other game has given me a physical reaction like that. Navigating around the underside of Brittle Hollow with the black hole looming below me was the most viscerally affecting moment of any game I’ve ever played.

I’m fine with oceans, water, that kind of stuff but the vast and dangerous space in Outer Wilds really gripped me.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

When I first added sound effects to my game, I started with sounds for firing the guns on the ship. That first pass was very naive: I got a nice gun sound, and then every time a shot was fired, I'd play that sound, at full volume, with no accounting for where the gun was positioned relative to the listener. That's fine up to a point, but it neglects one very important issue: there's more than one gun on a warship! I don't remember how many guns there were on the ship I was testing with, but I would bet it was around 10.

In short, I fired the guns, and my speakers went CRUMP as they attempted to play a very loud sound layered over itself 10 times.
What up fellow “game dev who plays too many sounds at once”. I had a similar problem with my game, where your gun property upgrades are all uncapped (well, I mean you can eventually hit maxint/ max float caps but I don’t impose any caps) so you can upgrade your pellet count to, say, 40000 and your refire delay to, like, less than a frame and the first time I fired that gun I thought I was going to blow out my speakers.

Once the computer became responsive again, I implemented some batching so you aren’t technically firing as many bullets but you still get big booms and damage.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
On the subject of old-school video game passwords, bisqwit has a few videos explaining some from specific games. Here’s Mega Man 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eQyYrSQPew

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009

Tunicate posted:

All the new characters are rabbids, who (by virtue of being crossovers) are not 'mario' characters.

Imagine going back to the 80s and telling people there would be a game where Mario dual-wields laser blasters; it would be pandemonium.

Also, making Rabbid Mario talk like a ridiculous Italian stereotype was an inspired move; more so when you consider Milan was the lead studio.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
Intrigued by the previous post I read a story summary and yes he’s come back several times from things that should have killed his body / soul / evil psycho essence or whatever. Any writer who wanted to bring him back has plenty of prior art to point to.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
Interesting to hear people say Octopath 2 was so much better. I liked 1 but bounced off the demo for 2 because it just felt like more of the same.

Can you give some examples of what changes you liked? Spoilers are fine.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
Cool, thanks for the detailed breakdown. Octopath was my commute game for a few months, so maybe I’ll check out 2.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
The thing about accessibility-adjacent sliders (arachnophobia, tinnitus, etc) is that not only is nobody forcing people to turn them ON, nobody is forcing the developers to put them IN, either. With a few exceptions, nobody comes to my desk and is like “drop what you’re doing and help out with the key rebinding code”. It’s more often that I, when working on a feature, think “oh this would suck for people who are different than me in ways X Y and Z” and I come up with a few possible mitigation plans. I present those to production and we agree on something and roll the time into the standard workload.

I agree that not every piece of work has to be consumable by everyone, but when your game has to sell several million units to break even you need to include as many people as you can. Indie studios who cater to people with assorted accessibility needs are finding that it pays off too - same goes for localization.

Follow the money - the giant publishers would not be doing this if they didn’t smell cash.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
Re: the Bureau chat

Keep in mind that the head of publishing at the time - who oversaw the release timing and messaging of all that - is the current head of all Amazon game studios.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
Yes, I remember it being a simple retro side scroller with nothing strange or unique about it.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
Wait hold up, is BioEnchanted playing a game released this year?

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
If you like silly, The Witness-inspired puzzles, you might want to also check out “The Looker” if you haven’t already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Hell they're more competent than me most of the time.
I really like when allies are competent. Give me more games that put me in command of NPCs who can do the things I’m not good enough to do myself.

Yes, I am a middle-manager, why do you ask?