Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's really night-and-day coming from WoW, and I think what does it is there's a lot less fuel to the "screw you, got mine" fire. Loot in the raids is portioned out by just your 8-man party, instead of a 20+-player slapfight over a few items, in raids for example. Plus there's no situation where you're fighting literally everyone else to get quest mobs or gathering spawning interactives because they're all local to you.

Wow classic is really good, I had one literal genuine nazi gently caress guy in 100s of hours, and so many nice experiences with random players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Metaphorical fascist sex individuals

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hattie Masters posted:

From what I remember, they said part of the reason they set up Deathloop like they did was so that if you broke stealth it was an entirely reasonable thing to just fight your way out, unlike in Dishonored where it was easier to just reload a quicksave.

I don't understand this post because generally, seconds after going loud in dishonored, you're standing in a room of corpses

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Yeah but the problem was then you got the bad ending.

Honestly that was my biggest problem with Dishonored in general. They give you all these cool tools to be a magical assassin, but if you dare use them more than a handful of times you get punished for it. The chaos system should have dictated how later levels and enemy alertness is set up, sure, but not the ending.

You can kill so many people and still get the good ending, but they didn't communicate that very well. It's mainly what you do with the targets that decides the ending.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

packetmantis posted:

A lot of people think that if a certain playstyle has an achievement attached, playing the game in any other way is wrong.

in a sense gamers real boss monster, is themselves

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Barudak posted:

I really liked in Watchdogs 2 that the baton which a lot of players thought was non-lethal since you clonked people on the head with it at close range and this is a video game accurately counted as murder.

it was a poolball in a sock iirc.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Idk, it made me feel a genuine kind of creeping horror as the pogrom tightened, I thought the outrage was a little overblown.

I'm sure they could have done it better but trying to evoke real world horror is better than being afraid to try in case people yell at you.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I think saying an apparently-silent character actually has voice lines halfway through the game definitely counts as a spoiler.

the day you release your mind from caring about spoilers is so delicious, you will taste the sweet air and laugh to the sky

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

WirelessPillow posted:

In Far Cry 6 the player character occasionally sings the songs playing on the radio of whatever vehicle you are driving, and if you step out while singing they will finish whatever line they are singing unaccompanied by music. Its a small thing but it really helps building up the character.

https://gfycat.com/bitesizedfondbluemorphobutterfly-far-cry-6 video has sound

That's so the song they're singing doesn't just cut out, I agree it's kind of cool though

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah, but it would sound odd if the character's singing got cut short at the same time, you'd be able to tell it was just a sound file playing.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Joey Freshwater posted:

Oh I see you were talking about the singing not stopping abruptly not the radio

Tell me more about your helicopter

it's great ty

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm kind of a chump for ubi style mapfuckin' games; is far cry 6 ok? I've been seeing some positive stuff about it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I really liked 5, Joseph Seed is one of the best and creepiest video game villains ever...but, the zone boss levels really annoyed me.

I'm enjoying 6, it seems to have cut a bit of cruft, like there's but even a skill tree afaict?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hirayuki posted:

I'm terrible at this kind of game and would likely never start a playthrough of Control myself, much less keep playing it to the point of experiencing the most awesome parts of it firsthand. I'm grateful for Let's Plays that showcase the fantastic titles out there that are beyond my skill level.

Absolutely read that as titties and was like, well, do what you gotta do I guess...?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CJacobs posted:

Darkest Dungeon 2's tone is so rad. I love the biting sarcasm in every single "the people have been given hope!!! the loathing abates!!! good job!!!" quip from the Ancestor. On the surface it's completely straightforward: Flip the first game's theme on its head to find your heroes restoring light and hope to the world one piece at at a time instead of struggling for ground as it is continually taken away. You start equipped with desire, instead of nihilism.

But then you look deeper and find that actually nothing has changed for your poor gang of idiots. If anything it's even worse for them, because now they are now actively choosing to sacrifice life and limb to bring the flame to the mountain. They give up everything! You watch them whittle away as you head down the road, becoming MAYBE friends if you maintain them really well and actively hateful at worst. Instead of being adventurers driven to the estate by their last thread, this time they came wearing full clothes and the game sees you slowly unravel it. Darkest Dungeon 2, by my interpretation, is not necessarily about bringing hope back to the world, it's moreso about keeping hope from fleeing your lovely little carriage along the way! When you stop on the roadside to spread flame to the peasantry the prompt says stuff like "We will bring you errant folk light and peace!" but what it should actually say is "helping you is the only thing keeping me sane, thank you!"

The intra party dialogue is all goon written, afaik, a thunderdome bud did it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Philippe posted:

I'm playing Dying Light, and I'm having a whale of a time! Yesterday I stood on a stone outcropping and watched as a zombie repeatedly ate poo poo as it was trying to climb up to me. I even kicked it down once when it managed to get up to my level.

5/5, no notes.

yeah it's a blast once you get past the slightly clunky start.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Samovar posted:

I read that as Discworld Noir: Spec Ops The Line and was very confused for a moment

Gentlemen... Welcome to Ankh-Morpork...

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

haveblue posted:

I have no time for this

Doctor, coming out of ward, excited: it's a ...
Kratos, glowering:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Josef bugman posted:

I'd heard that Wrath was a bit, erm, clunky? In terms of having a billion sub systems and various different sorts of armour that massively mattered.

Oh god, yes. God. Yes. Still fun though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Josef bugman posted:

To me it seemed more like a slog and a half. That and a load of bug complaints.

being able to freely go realtime/turnbased is really good, best implementation of it in any game of its type. The system is a goddam nightmare though, totally agree, but sometimes you just want to spend ten minutes tapping ur chin and reallocating your magic bonus items to eke out another +1 on reflex defense for your off tank magus/barbarian.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CJacobs posted:

Just discovered my new absolute favorite little thing in a video game.

If you turn around just before leaving the prologue of Dying Light 2 and I mean just before the final hop, the reflection of the dilapidated windmill over the water forms the logo of Dead Island, Techland's first entry into the genre. They love their series and their games and proof lies in them everywhere. Please look out for specifically purely visual love like this in every video game you play, I promise it's there.

haha i noticed that palm tree and thought it looked weird, that explains it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Last Celebration posted:

Something I don’t think the game can be assed to explain is that mounted L2/R2 attacks both work by holding the button to do a melee drive by attack, that helps a lot with mounted combat.

yeah, like any group of baddies in the open world is basically effortless and riskfree to defeat when you're mounted. Bosses will destroy you, though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kit Walker posted:

The thing about mounted combat that always sucked in basically every game ever is having attacks that both have tiny loving hitboxes pretty much right next to the player, and have a miniscule duration. So you pretty much have to either stand right next to enemies whacking them repeatedly which misses the point of mounted combat, or you have to attack with frame perfect accuracy as you run by because otherwise you miss. I haven't played Elden Ring yet, but the bigger swings and the fact that you can ready an attack seems like it solves both issues

Yeah it owns, it's the only game I've ever played that makes it fun.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Amoeba102 posted:

Wwwwwwwww means "i accidentally hit enter" in an mmo

big inc at bs need helwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Breetai posted:

Accidentally parsing out the word "below" while reading this is wild.

Took me a moment, but lmao

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Philippe posted:

Bioshock solved it fifteen dang years ago: give you an audiolog in the beginning of an area, have the audiolog give you some information on the people you're killing or the area you're in, and let you explore while you're listening. Then you basically have a podcast about the game you're playing. It's mindboggling that other games don't do it that way.

Dragon age 1 is infinitely better if you read each of the lore pickups as you get them, it adds a lot of texture to the World and the story

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, it's like Robocop, it owns.

the first was fairly horrible too, like this is the experience of murdering someone with a brick because you don't want to waste your bullets

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Philippe posted:

My favourite thing about Mafia III is that Clay is just so big.

there's a robust quantity of him, to be sure

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Der-Wreck posted:

Weird thing to emptyquote but alright

It's a stealth ship, Google dazzle camo

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Randalor posted:

I did but Google image search just returns a bunch of photos of open ocean.

Look behind u :smuggo: that ship has been there for days, awaiting it's chance

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't forget the rampant Evie-Frye-inflicted broken bones and concussions.

THWONK PTUNK KLONK

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

goblin week posted:

That’s cuz it’s in London

Checks out

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jedi outcast should have accelerated the new weapon curve so you get every weapon then your light saber i will not be taking questions on this point

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Agents are GO! posted:

I actually really liked the ending of Infinite, especially how many people did not get the loving point of the story: that Booker DeWitt is awful in every possible timeline, and the world is better off if he dies.

My problem with Bioshock Infinite can be summed up as: they spent the two years after this "gameplay" trailer making the game worse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WUt5dEMt_Y

It's not that a few things from a "gameplay" trailer didn't make it into the game, it's that the game in that "gameplay" trailer is fundamentally better in every way than what we got.

When I first saw that trailer I was amazed and really excited for Infinite. Of course there are the usual excuses of console limitations and blah blah blah :jerkbag:, but I don’t care. They promised - and built at least part of - an amazing game and delivered an unremarkable corridor shooter.

yeah it's about how america is built root and branch on racism and the way to remove it is to infinite universe time-murder yourself so you were never born

which is, ok not 100% practical, but i'm not hearing any other solutions

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Randalor posted:

a sever case of "But what if both sides are bad?" when one side is "The racists wanting to oppress everyone not white enough" and the other is "Literally everyone being oppressed by them" in the storyline.

It's been a while, but I think that is a bit goon telephoney?

revolutionary lady is not exactly sympathetic, but that's what happens in revolutions. Your society has become so poo poo that extremely violent people are a viable alternative to the stuff quo. And there wouldn't need to be a revolution if not for the racism, (which you get killed for).

I mean it could be I'm remembering it wrong and the protag states the 14 words while staring at the screen and nodding, but I got the strong impression that the game is about the historical roots of American racism and exceptionalism in a very text way, and it's a bit eye rolly to say Levine thinks racism is just like not-racism because if so why bother making a game about it?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

2house2fly posted:

The protagonist says "the only difference between Comstock (the white supremacist) and Fitzroy (the black revolutionary leader) is how you spell the name" but then the protagonist is an rear end in a top hat

The protagonist is comstock. If you create the circumstances for violent bloody revolution, then you bear responsibility for the violence and blood of that revolution.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Kitfox88 posted:

Aiden is just kind of lovely and generic whereas Booker is literally a wounded knee vet and creator of a racist sky society. Also Aiden's got a iconic cool coathat.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I loved the final scene, it was extremely beautiful.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rockman Reserve posted:

I loved Bioshock Infinite, I think it's biggest flaw is that the stuff with the Vox Populi doesn't really make much sense without the overall greater context of the ending, but happens like halfway through the game. Still, the gunplay was fun, the graphics were great for the time, and not nearly enough games go the route of making the protagonist completely and utterly irredeemable, even in the context of magical alternate dimensions and superscience. Plus, Elizabeth is a really fun character - she's written pretty terribly for most of the game but then at the end when she's given any real agency at all, she immediately erases you from existence as hard as she possibly can.

yeah lmao fucken owned booker you dumb putz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ty for binfinite chat goonfriends, it's annoyed me for a bit but even though i don't think it's 'both sides are wrong' i can see now how sloppy storytelling makes it look that way.

my favourite little thing in games is seeing the dwarf fortress nerds blissfully happy big dumb faces, there are men who are unironically living the dream. also the soundtrack for the new steam version slaps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgXQKqGhfIY