Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

My favorite little thing about Mount and Blade is that playing as a nobleman is the "default" experience but you can also play as a noblewoman or a commoner of either gender, depending on how you answer the character creation questions. Besides the obvious difference between the genders and the fact that nobles can carry a banner and shield with their coat of arms while commoners just get a default banner, it also affects how NPCs interact with you. It's a world where all the gender and bloodline biases of the medieval times still exist, but different nobles react to you acting "above your station" differently. Some just figure "whatever, we can use all the help we can get" and your gender/birth doesn't affect your relations with them. Some hate you for trying to lead troops when they view you as being beneath them and you start at lowered relations with them. And others think it's cool as hell that you're kicking rear end and advancing beyond what society deemed to be your place and start with a higher opinion of you. It's a pretty cool little feature that makes your character creation more than just a model change or a difference in banners.

And of course the dialog tree gives you sassy comebacks to the ones that call you out for being a woman or peasant. :nyd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

SodomyGoat101 posted:

Steven Heck in Alpha Protocol. His emails, his exuberant violence , the cheerful way he threatens to make his partner drink drain cleaner...it's just beautiful.

"So what I say is, we find this 'Deng' character, and we give him the bees!"
"The...bees?"
"The goddamn bees."

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

anuj posted:

I loved Mercenaries so much. Everything about the first one was just so goddamn fun. I think two of the three playable characters spoke a different foreign language too, so you would get subtitles for one faction but not the other.

And of course using a Codebreaker to get unlimited funds and just rain missiles was pretty cool too.

All three characters spoke a different language; Nilson spoke Russian so he could eavesdrop on Mafia conversations, Jennifer spoke Chinese, and Chris spoke Korean.

It's a shame Mercs, Inc is almost certainly dead in the water, the first game was amazing and the second was pretty drat fun in spite of a lot of roughness.

e; beaten.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Generic American posted:

Man, I was perfectly happy not knowing that there was even potential for another Mercenaries sequel, but thanks to this thread, I now know exactly what we missed out on with Mercs, Inc. :sigh:

drat it, I always end up loving the games that are doomed for failure!

They teased me with a Mercenaries game set in India at the end of Mercs 2 and for not following up on that I will never forgive them. :arghfist::saddowns:

I'm hoping in this age of old-rear end games getting revived by Kickstarters we'll see old Pandemic devs trying to crowdfund Mercs Inc, but there's been no sign of that.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

So according to the E3 vid, Homefront: The Revolution (now under Crytek, rather than whoever made the poorly-received original) will allow weapon mods, like many other shooters. What makes it something to post in this thread, though, is that it's not done through a menu like other games; it's done right in-game, and you can see your character pull out old parts and swap the new parts on. As a huge sucker for pointless-but-cool tacticlol immersion, I had to grin when I saw that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tujh2fnATK4&t=328s

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

When you're bored, summon a horde!

This reminds me, Morrowind had the best glitches, my favorite being one where creating a spell with summon creature and soul trap on target and then firing it directly down at your feet would summon that creature permanently, and you could summon as many of them at once as you wanted (usually casting a summon spell twice despawns the first summon). One of my fondest memories of that game was abusing that glitch to create a necromancer character and then descending on Balmora with an army of skeletons.

You gotta love any game where the glitches just make it even more fun.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Far Cry 2 had my favorite enemy dialogue by far. If you're fighting a successful guerrilla battle against them, springing from the shadows just long enough to pop a couple people and then disappear again, the enemies will refer to you as if you were more than one person, things like "Where are they?" "I don't see them!," etc. If you abandon the guerrilla approach and charge in guns blazing, they'll all be shocked that it was just you. "How the gently caress was it just one man??"

My favorite incident, though, was when I was doing one of these guerrilla attacks on a train yard. I start creeping through the tall grass to sneak up on a couple guys who seem to be hanging around after one of my raids. As I get closer, though, I see they're standing over the corpse of a guy I had killed a couple minutes earlier, and I overhear this conversation (imagine this in the most :smith: voices possible): "Oh, poo poo, he got the new guy. What was his name, again?" "J.T. ... It was J.T. :("

Another one, and probably the most impressed I've ever been at AI behavior in any game, has to do with the fact that if you non-fatally wound an enemy, there's a chance they'll go down, at which point their buddies will try to rush over and drag them away to safety. So I put a guy into this wounded state and leave an IED next to him for his buddies. As the other bad guys rush over to him, though, he actually shouts out "stay back, there's a bomb!" causing his friends to stop dead and start rushing away from him. I've never seen an enemy warn his friends about a trap like that before.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

People really like it when sequels intentionally deconstruct stuff from the previous games so long as it's a sequel by Obsidian. Otherwise they complain that it isn't internally consistent and is hamfisted and came out of nowhere.

Look, I hate the "Obsidian can do no wrong, Bioware can do no right" goon-worship as much as you do, I'm sure, but the Quarian/geth stuff in ME3 really was stupid. It starts out perfectly fine: geth start out as non-sentient servant machines for the Quarians. Suddenly, they become self-aware. The Quarians freak out and try to deactivate them, as you might expect, and the geth don't want to be destroyed so they fight back. At this point you've got a perfectly good morally ambiguous conflict that doesn't really paint either side as the good or bad guy. But the stuff they had written since the first game said that the geth killed the vast majority of the Quarian species and forced the remainders off their planet. So how does ME3 work around this to make the conflict more ambiguous? (I think at this point anyone who wants to play the Mass Effect series already has, but I'll spoiler it anyway).

They don't. Legion just admits that the geth exterminated 99% of the Quarian species, and goes even further and says that when the Migrant Fleet was fleeing Rannoch, the geth had a debate on whether to kill off the terrified Quarian refugees and decided against it not because of any moral qualms about complete species genocide but because of a cold-blooded decision that completely wiping the Quarians out down to the last man, woman, and child might have future ramifications that might hurt the geth later down the road. Shepard reacts to this by declaring that the geth really are the good guys because they decided not to do literally the most evil thing possible to do, after killing billions of Quarians. It was pretty stupid.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Same Oblivion quest line: When you find the traitor's creepy Norman Bates shrine with his mother's rotting head but still don't know the identity of the traitor, if you want you can pick the head up, carry it to the next meeting with all the Dark Brotherhood bigwigs, and then drop the head on the ground. Most of the DB leadership just seems kind of confused and vaguely disgusted (or maybe they don't react at all, it's been too long since I played Oblivion), but the traitor will actually freak out for a few seconds before composing himself.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

gamingCaffeinator posted:

In Dead Rising 2: Off the Record, I love how the laser sword changes colors each time you put it away and bring it back out. I don't even care that it kind of sucks in practice, it just looks so cool!

My favorite thing about the Dead Rising series in general (haven't played 3 yet but I imagine it's largely the same) is that the regular zombies are more of a series of speed bumps than actual threats unless you're overwhelmed by extreme numbers, so you can just go hog wild with whatever crazy weapons and moves you want. Like, with living enemies like psychopaths you have to take care which weapon you bring, but zombies ain't poo poo. The laser sword doesn't do a lot of damage? Use it anyway. Want to go apeshit with the motorized wheelchair you strapped a bunch of guns to? That's viable too. Want to unequip your weapons and insanely brutally destroy hundreds of zombies with suplexes and elbow drops? Have fun, buddy. There's no wrong way to fight the average cannon-fodder zombies and I love those games for it.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

I hope to god by ponyfucker you mean brony and not Mr Hands

He's not just a brony. He, apropos of absolutely nothing at all, shared with the thread that he likes to masturbate to the MLP cast. I mean literally nothing at all, there was no context for it, it's like he was desperate to share his habit of spankin' it to a show about horses for five year old girls.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

So The Sims 4 added a new "emotions" system to the series, where instead of just being in a good mood or a bad one like previous games, different events can add points to one of like 14 emotions, and whichever one is dominant gives your Sims new animations, new ways of interacting with other Sims or objects, etc.

If your Sim is in a confident mood, they can "pee like a champion."

LIKE A CHAMPION :911:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

So I beat GTA V yesterday. One neat little detail I noticed was during a big shootout with the Chinese gangsters, where an enemy popped up at my side suddenly as I was shooting at another one. The newcomer was perfectly positioned to kill me instantly, but then didn't because I killed the guy I was engaging, and instead of shooting the ambusher looked over to see if his buddy was okay (he wasn't), giving me a split second to finish him off before he could recover. It's a very little thing, but seeing such a human reaction from a random mook in an unscripted shootout blew my mind a bit.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Alhazred posted:

I think it's neat that you get the option to exclaim "holy poo poo!" when something weird happens in the Wolf Among Us.

The fact that most characters you meet can be responded to with a "gently caress off" as soon as you meet them is probably my favorite little thing in the game.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Sleeveless posted:

In Red Faction: Guerilla the ammo crates you can use to re-stock your ammo and change your weapons will explode if you detonate anything near them or fire on them enough. It makes perfect sense that a metal box full of explosives would be so volatile but it's the only game in recent memory that actually does that instead of having them be an indestructible part of the level geometry.

In Far Cry 2 setting fire to an ammo crate would cause the rounds to cook off, firing bullets wildly in all directions. It was pretty awesome and I wish more games would do stuff like that.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fable's best casting decision was John Cleese as your butler in Fable III. Somehow I can't find a video of it but hearing a Monty Python alum confusedly stammer out "You’re... you’re dressed as a chicken. What are you... what are you planning to do... dressed as a chicken?" when you put on the chicken suit is probably the best use of voice acting in video games.

Although this Tim Curry scene in Red Alert 3 comes close:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yMy7JuGpJM

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Speaking of Battlefield: Hardline's reloads, one thing I really like (I think it might have been in BF4 as well but I don't remember off the top of my head) is that if you interrupt a reload, reloading again will pick up the animation where you left off, instead of playing the whole animation again like the vast, vast majority of shooters. So once I was engaged in a shootout, emptied my gun, and ducked behind cover to reload. My character ejects the old magazine, inserts the new one, and then I have to switch to my pistol before he can pull the charging handle because one of the enemies rushed my cover and got in my face. I kill him, switch back to my assault rifle, and then when I hit reload again my guy just pulls the charging handle and he's good to go, since he already switched out magazines.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Leal posted:

Speaking of something that could be a woman and Attila: The rage that has generated from women being soldiers in that game. Its magical how pissed off nerds get over it.

Wait, what? Women soldiers have been around at least as long as the original Rome:

Rome II even had a unit pack entirely dedicated around female soldiers. Are they just a lot more prevalent in Attila or something? Or am I just expecting too much logic from those people?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's also kinda nice that there's no moral compass of any kind in the game. If you want to go through capping civilians because they're in your way, than go right for it. There's even a stretch where the game hands you a minigun and walks you through a hallway with about a dozen civilian scientists from another Corporate Syndicate fleeing across from a side door, with about only three or four actual enemy guards in their midst.

I'm playing through the first Kane and Lynch right now after getting it in the last Humble Bundle and that's something I like about that game, too. Like in the Collateral-homage shootout in a packed nightclub, I tried to be careful and only hit the actual bad guys, but it was pretty nice not to have some partner going "WHAT ARE YOU DOING, KANE??? :supaburn:" in the event that I missed and dropped a civilian. Fit the game's tone, too.

Punished Chuck has a new favorite as of 17:42 on Mar 11, 2015

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I know it got a lot of hate and contributed a lot to the game's bad-to-mediocre reviews, but I'm playing through Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days right now and I really love the shakycam thing it's got going on, like so (it's a lot more noticeable when actually playing rather than just watching, though). The gameplay itself is kinda standard third-person shooter fare but the camera gimmick reminds me a lot of Children of Men and makes everything a lot more intense and gritty than it would have with standard camera work. It fits the game's dark and nasty tone, gives the whole game a dirty, ugly feel, like it was recorded on a handheld phone by someone following the protagonists around to upload it to some shady Russian snuff-vid website.

And I've heard a lot of people complain also about the mosaic-blur effect when shooting someone in the head either at close range or with a high-caliber weapon, but I liked that, too. Not only did it add to the grimy found-footage feel but blasting someone in the face with a shotgun and having them writhe around on the ground shrieking in agony while their head is behind a pixelated censor just seems so much more gruesome than anything they could have actually shown.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

One tiny thing I really get a kick out of in Battlefield: Hardline is that when you're playing as a criminal, occasionally spotting an enemy will, instead of the usual pointing animation, have your character flip them the bird.

There's something really special about your guy taking the time to flip off a police sniper who just took a shot at him before ducking behind cover.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

So Dragon Ball Xenoverse is an insanely good game but there's two things about its presentation that I really like:

First off, they captured the feel of the series perfectly. If you could record a match and play it back without any HUD elements it would be just like watching an episode of the show, with people being kicked through mountains and massive ki blasts gouging ditches into the ground. This is helped by the fact that even the most basic combos like "light punch x5" will lead to something like uppercutting someone twenty feet into the air and then teleporting above them as they sail upwards to hammerfist them back into the ground so there's basically nothing you can do that doesn't lead to some crazy over-the-top thing straight out of the show.

Secondly, the game has you create a character that you have an RPG progression system with; it's the standard thing where matches get you XP based on performance, that XP gains you levels, each level gets you points to boost your attributes that determine how good you are in combat, there's equipment to further alter your attributes, and so on. What I like about it, though, that a lot of RPGs don't do, is that you actually feel pretty badass from the beginning. You aren't just some dipshit that barely knows how to throw a punch until you grind on a bunch of Saibamen or cave rats or some poo poo, you're flying around, teleporting and shooting ki blasts and punching people through buildings, day one. I wish more games would start at that baseline.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Leal posted:

Shadow of Mordor: I overheard some orcs talking, I think it was something about tricking humans out of hiding, and they were trying to impersonate talking like a human :allears:

The enemy chatter in that game was so good. One of my favorite conversations went something like:

":orks:: I heard the Gravewalker killed a captain the other day. Chopped his head right off!"

":orks101:: If someone chopped my head off, I'd just keep fighting. Don't need a head to fight."

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

So many achievements are just "Completed Chapter One," "Completed Chapter Two," "Beat the Game on Normal" that I really appreciate it when games go out of their way to have achievements that serve to reward, in some small way, fun little things that you won't necessarily do throughout the course of the game.

Anyway, my point is that The Sims 4 gave me an achievement called "So... I'll Call You?" for accidentally having my guy piss himself while on a date and I haven't stopped laughing since.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

My favorite thing about it is that the achievement is titled "Alright, Have One! Just Stop!" and its description is something like "This is an achievement in name only. No one is proud of what you have done."

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

StandardVC10 posted:

Reminds me of the pirates in Far Cry 3 sometimes saying "Too drat hot. Someone just loving shoot me."

Hitman: Absolution had a lot of these and they were always fun. There's a bit in the tutorial mission where a guard's on the phone with his doctor and from his side of the conversation it becomes clear that he was worried he might have had cancer but the doctor lets him know his tests came back negative. He celebrates for a bit before walking over to the window, where you are hanging just below, perfectly positioned to pull him out the window and off a cliff, and says to no one in particular, "Man, nothing could bring this day down!"

A couple missions later you're evading Boston police through an abandoned, decaying library. Rotting wood has caused a massive hole to open up in the floor. One of the cops sees it while on patrol and stands on the very edge, looking down and wondering aloud if you could survive a fall down there and shouting to the other cops nearby for their opinion on the matter. The game has a context-sensitive button that lets you push anyone standing on the edge of a fatal drop.

After dropping him the first time I usually now just let cancer guy walk away from the window before climbing through and sneaking past, but I can't ever bring myself to not satisfy the cop's curiosity.

I want to say there's a lot more but those are the two that come to mind immediately.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Absolution is a good game but it's way far and apart different in style, narrative, and even gameplay than the other Hitman games. The levels for example are a lot more linear and focus on traveling through the level to get to an end goal instead of letting you freely roam around the level and set things up to your liking. It's not worse or better for that, just different. I liked it and I do think it's worth a playthrough if you can find it cheap. Blood Money is probably the "best" Hitman game though.

I loved Absolution and these are my thoughts exactly. I've only played BM and Absolution and I'd gladly recommend either of them, I've beaten both multiple times each and still go back to both every now and then.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

That would be cool. The staff pressured Kojima into having Snake survive 4 instead of being executed for his war crimes with Otacon or shooting himself. The staff were like "nooooo" and made him add all the Big Boss stuff. So hopefully he gets to tell his story

One thing I've never understood is, exactly which war crimes were they supposed to be executed for? Do people still think they killed all those Marines in the beginning of MGS2?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

effervescible posted:

The eagles are the worst because they will kick your rear end and are hard to shoot out of the sky (though not for NPCs, apparently.) Honey badgers are tough to kill, but at least I can hit them with a rocket launcher fairly easily.

I thought they wouldn't be able to make an enemy more irritating than the snakes in 3--they do no real damage and so aren't really a danger but they're near-impossible to see coming, omnipresent, and take over your character for a several-seconds long cutscene of your character flailing ineffectively at them.

Then some absolute fiend at Ubisoft paused for a moment, thoughtfully chewed on the bones of an orphan, and thought, "what if we made the same enemy, but it could fly?"

Punished Chuck has a new favorite as of 04:32 on Jul 15, 2015

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah, although the bit at the end was pretty well-done, for the most part I thought the game portrayed the DUP as pure evil, which is really strange considering that they're an anti-Conduit law enforcement branch created in response to thousands of people being murdered by a Conduit. It would have been really easy to make them sympathetic villains with that background but until the very end they're treated like mustache-twirling Nazis.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

StandardVC10 posted:

The first FEAR kind of does this. I've just been replaying it. The Replica soldiers get increasingly panicked and confused as each individual firefight goes on and you pick off members of each squad. "poo poo!" "Squad, take cover!" "WHERE SHOULD I GO?"

Sort of related, your soldiers' lines changing depending on how combat is going is one of my favorite little things in games. Giving a tank a move order might get a confident "Sherman on the move" when not in combat, "takin' it to 'em!" if they're winning, a terse "moving" if they're in combat and neither winning nor losing, or a panicked "Get us out of here! Drive! Drive!" if they're losing. It gives your guys a lot of personality and makes the combat feel a lot more intense.

Edit: In Company of Heroes. Don't know how I forgot the name of the game I was posting about.

Punished Chuck has a new favorite as of 01:37 on Aug 11, 2015

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah, I had a legit copy on the 360 and I definitely died instantly to headshots a few times. I kinda like it, I love it when enemies in games play by the same rules you do. I fell in love with Morrowind when I first killed a bandit and realized that the armor he wore and the sword he used against me were actually equipped in his inventory and I could take them.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I liked chucking the blood bomb at random people and then running away cackling like a madman.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah, when all your Sims are at work or asleep or otherwise uncontrollable there's a special time setting that only activates in that circumstance that causes the numbers on the clock to fly by in a blur and a nine-game-hour shift to fly by in like 5 seconds. I grinned ear-to-ear like a big doofus when I saw that the first time because previous games just used the regular fast forward which still took forever.

slingshot effect posted:

I haven't touched Sims 4 since it came out, maybe I should check it out to see if they've given it some more polish or more of a hook. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't… I dunno. It didn't hook me into the same compulsive cycle of binge for a week/ignore for three months/binge for a week that the first three did.

Even if you don't buy any of the DLC (which has all been pretty good so far) they've added a lot of stuff in free patches... Ghosts, pools, extra careers, all kinds of stuff. I'd recommend trying it again, I liked it at release and it only got better since.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Grey Fox posted:

He also howls if he gets the final takedown in an outpost (I only use him nonlethal; not sure if this makes a difference).

The way he growls at an enemy when you hold them at gunpoint gets me every time. He's helping! :3:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Valve's refund service is actually really good, I thought for sure they'd refuse nearly every request since before they were perfectly happy to sell games that didn't work on modern systems without warning and refuse to issue refunds, but I requested two (RAGE had frame rate so bad as to be unplayable unless I put it on what as far as I can tell is the only other graphics setting, "we won't even bother loading textures," and Endless Legend crashed every time a new game finished loading) and I was notified that they'd been approved within two or three hours of putting the request in.

Then you have to wait like 5 days to actually get your money back, even if you just want store credit, but hey.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I just started The Secret World yesterday, and one neat thing I liked is that your character's name doesn't have to be unique. In character creation you pick a first name, a last name, and a nickname. The nickname has to be unique since it's an MMO, but the first and last name don't have to be. I like that I can give my character a normal-rear end name so the dialogue isn't all "Nice to meet you, xXBladeLord23Xx. I have news for you."

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Alteisen posted:

My fave MGSV moment is when you have to go recruit old mother base soldier, if you approach them normally it becomes a benny hill sequence, if you approach them in a box though they go "IS THAT YOU BOSS?" and it becomes trivial to recruit them.

Same if you play the cassette of Paz's humming over your iDroid's speakers.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Action Tortoise posted:

I really was willing to give him a lot of rope until the AI pod played its last recording. Then I was all for stringing him up.

I love the bit where he's all
"Skull Face killed her! I couldn't let her out or he'd kill me too! It was a suicide! It was an accident! I tried to get her out but couldn't!"
all within like 30 seconds.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Agents are GO! posted:

One of my favorite thing in a game that gets mostly - and correctly - crapped on is the music in Oblivion. Especially this track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COBdY7KdpwY

I love Oblivion's music.

It seriously has one of the best soundtracks in video game history, in my opinion. While I think Morrowind's title theme is the best video game music as a piece of music on its own terms, I think the Oblivion theme is the best video game theme, if that makes any sense, it gets me pumped to go on a cool adventure like no other game music I can think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I just saw a team of raiders somehow take down a Brotherhood vertibird, killing the pilot and an initiate immediately in the crash, only for an extremely pissed off Knight in busted-up but functional power armor to storm out of the blazing wreckage and singlehandedly annihilate all the raiders in a single charge without breaking step. Not scripted or part of a quest or anything, just something that happened.

I really love all the radiant stuff in this game.