Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TontoCorazon posted:

I'm pretty sure the enemies know they are fighting a losing battle and are just fighting back for self defense.

That was one of the thing I liked about the 2013 Tomb Raider game. After a while the enemies was actually afraid of Lara and at one point they even asked her to join them against the undead warriors on the island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

In Uncharted 3, when Drake walks near a wall, he puts his hand out to touch it while he walks, impulsively. It's something I tend to do in real life and it's one of the tiny things that is making me love this game

In the new Tomb Raider games Lara also does this.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

timp posted:

My dude let me tell you about a little game called Spec Ops: The Line

A man falls through the earth and into Parisian catacombs. Taking a torch from the wall he spies row upon row of skeletons. Grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes it madly, yelling "my nigga have u played Spec Ops: The Line?"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

I like it when video games call attention to something that makes absolutely no sense in the game world but roll with it anyway. I was playing animal crossing the other day, with a fireworks event scheduled later that night. Being animal crossing you can submit custom designs for the fireworks. Isabelle points out that if you change the design after submitting it, the fireworks will change as well. "Nobody knows how the firework engineers figure this out, but isn't this useful to know?" is essentially what she says.

In AssCreed 2 they point out that the animus now will provide subtitles.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jedrick posted:

No game has made me crave so many foods quite like Sleeping Dogs.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

My favorite little thing about Sleeping Dogs is the mission where you have to kill someone to prove that you're not a cop. At that point I had already killed dozens of people.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My only problem with Sleeping Dogs was they really should've gone with just stumbling the hell out barely-alive after being tortured, and fast-forwarding X days/weeks spent in hospital recovering... to revenge.

Sleeping Dogs is not a game you play for realism.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

timp posted:

It's commonly cited in this thread but Red Dead Redemption has a dedicated tip your hat and say howdy button

Which is funny to do when he's in Mexico.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Vlad the Retailer posted:

For a while, there was also a loophole which let you play as a horse, leading to at least one playthrough with a horse-led Roman Empire.
"The Caligula loophole"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kruller posted:

Much like enemies in Tomb Raider getting more scared of you the further you go in the game, I always loved how in Arkham Asylum, when you got to the last guy in a predator room, you could drop down in front of him, and instead of shooting you, he'd poo poo his pants and freak out for a second. It was always a fun reward for good play.

In GTA IV enemies will slowly limp away when they realize all is lost or shout out "Okay! You won!"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Olaf The Stout posted:

First there was nothing.
Then, Bees.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I thought this loading screen in AssCreed 4 was pretty funny:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I just discovered that you can blow people out of haystacks with help of explosive barrels in AssCreed: Rogue.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

Like in Saints Row 4 the giant terminator enemies were a lot of fun because you could blast their arms off and use them against them as special weapons, blow their legs off and they'd crawl across the ground towards you

The cyborgs in Tiberian Sun also had that and even if they got back all their health they still had to crawi around.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

jojoinnit posted:

I'm playing Ducktales Remastered and I love that there's a dedicated section that lets you just high dive into the money vault and swim around to your little ducky hearts content :3:

There's even a trophy for doing it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Wolf Among Us is the perfect rear end in a top hat simulator:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Speaking of Spec Ops, my favorite little thing about the game is the moment when Walker says "We've done this before".

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Febreeze posted:

I had the WP bit spoiled for me so I sort of saw that twist coming,

My favorite bit about that: There's a scene in the game where you are on the receiving end of a white phosphorus attack and experience how terrible it is first hand. You also have to fight three soldiers who walk through it, executing the survivors. Then later in the game that scene is completely reversed.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ilmucche posted:

The executions change as well, and become more violent as walker begins to break down.

They also start to yell at each other and Walker gets angry when he has to heal his squadmates.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

Ayla, sorry. Pretty sure you knew what I meant though.

So she's named after the cavewoman in Jean M. Auel's books?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

It's like with Assassins Creed, if you've played 2 then going back to the first one is miserable as it seems like a total chore in comparison, while it was pretty neat when it first came out. The improvements the series made made it retroactively terrible, instead of interesting with some flaws.

That's pretty much true for every game though. Even for the first Uncharted game.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FredMSloniker posted:

I hope it has a zero-point secret trophy for getting that ending. e: does Playstation assign points to trophies? I admit I'm more familiar with achievements.

Max Payne 3: I had no idea that you could shoot Becker and was kinda confused when I got a trophy for watching what I thought was a cut scene

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Walking Dead Season 1

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Walking Dead season 1

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mierenneuker posted:

Man, that seems miserable... you had no companions to help cut off your arm?

I had Kenny, that image is from a google image search. I also appreciate that TTG let you choose what you scream as he saws off your arm

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Just started playing Deadpool:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I started playing Metro: Last Light and noticed an ad for the board game. One of the bulletpoints were: "A post-apocalyptic board game...Wow? Wow!"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Vic posted:

In the original Tomb Raider series, Lara's basically a murderous psychopath if you look at that through that lense. TR2 she kills like 50 dudes on her property in a bathrobe, then cut to her about to undress for the camera and bam she shoots you, the player with a shotgun for being a perv (you have no input in this). In TR3 she straight up shoots up Area 51. Take that MPs this is archeology. There was basically no character writing, she was the hot chick with guns 90s female character stereotype.

And then in Tomb Raider: Anniversary she kills one dude during the entire game and feels really bad about it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Just encountered the shadow puppets in Metro: Last Light. One on hand it's kinda nice to watch a hardened soldier doing shadow puppets to entertain the kids, but then you realize that they don't recognize ordinary animals like elephants. The only animals they know of are completely terrifying.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

PubicMice posted:

Didn't the devs say at some point that the horrible poo poo that happens to Lara is supposed to make the player want to "protect her"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXj9muy2gM4

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I'm playing LA. Noir at the moment and I like how Phelps will take the time to pick up his hat if it's shot off his head. Even if he's in hot pursuit of a suspect.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

The Last Guardian has a dedicated button to pet Trico

Ico had a dedicated button for holding hands and this is how you saved the game:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ariong posted:

One thing I really like about the UAC setting where most of DOOM 2016 takes place is how the pretense of them using purely scientific means to extract Hell energy becomes thinner over the course of the game. As it starts, Hell energy and the extraction thereof is described using clinical sounding terms, and the assertion is that Hell Energy is a resource just like any other and they understand it completely. As you get deeper into the facility, it becomes clearer and clearer that Hell Energy really can only be extracted and manipulated by magic and dark rituals, which is what they are actually doing. It's the same calm voiced announcer the whole time, but whereas at the start he gives announcements about company picnics and overtime, by the end of the game he delivers information about volunteering for blood sacrifices and remembering to perform your sacrament.

Basically: If you discover that the company you work for have a system that monitors demonic activity it's time to get the gently caress out.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Apparently when the first Doom was made they made a guy write a huge and detailed "Doom bible" but eventually scrapped it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I'd like to imagine Doomguy is just a very withered very old very angry screaming corpse inside that suit.Like he's just holding himself together by screaming and scowling.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Safeword posted:

Although it doesn't really come into play, I did like how the Assassins became less effective over time because global surveillance and capitalism pushed the Templars so far ahead in terms of influence. Sticking to the shadows is all well and good until your enemies make billions each day, ploughing it back into technology that makes your hiding space a very limited one.

It's kinda fun to see how the Assassins went from being a powerful organisation backed by the Medicis to an old man with a limp living in a house in North-America.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 16:56 on Aug 18, 2018

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Qwertycoatl posted:

Could the spider understand what he said to it?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Red dead redemption was funny

And when he was in Mexico he tried and failed to speak spanish to the locals.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Phy posted:

rear end Creed: Black Flag: the sea shanties are cool and good, as is the ability to pet both dogs and cats

Unless you accidentally shank them like I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

I always like when licensed games go totally insane with the plots, because just following the plot of the movie is the most boring possible thing to do.

The first Men in Black game did this, they even had a level inspired by the Thing. Too bad it was almost unplayable.