Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

Earlier I happened to be looking at some VAs in Overwatch and it turns out that almost everyone is voiced by someone from the character's culture or one very close to it. Furthest one I can remember is that D.va is voiced by a Chinese woman rather than a Korean one, I believe? I thought that was cool of Blizzard to do instead of just getting bad accents in, even if they don't know that "Cheers love!" means "Thank you!" not "Hello" :britain:

Also I guess Winston is not voiced by someone from the moon.

Reinhardt is voiced by an American, and his German pronunciation isn't too great, especially "Hasselhoff". Junkrat's voice actor is also American, but I guess he does a pretty good over-the-top Australian impression. Torbjörn sounds generically gruff rather than Swedish -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrzwpZfONXY

I mean, all in all, it's a pretty good voice cast, but there are still some missed opportunities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Leal posted:

The picture mechanic in Xcom 2 War of the Chosen.

I thought this was just a gimmick, but now I can't live without it.

Yes.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
Wildermyth has a lot of fun little things, but one of the first things it lets you do is name your adventuring company anything you want.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

I hope Hogspring wasn't a disappointment

All the hogs wanted to eviscerate me, and not join my polycule. :(

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Suleman posted:

Wildermyth has a lot of fun little things, but one of the first things it lets you do is name your adventuring company anything you want.

Continuing on that note:

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

credburn posted:

You couldn't save anywhere in the first Tomb Raider?

What the gently caress is with my memory. I was certain you could drop little green flares and save anywhere. I didn't even have other Tomb Raiders, I only had the first one growing up.

You could do the handstand thing in the first one, right?

I don't remember the details, but Tomb Raider 1 had significantly different save systems on the PC and the Playstation, which might be a factor.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Lobok posted:

Walt Disneyn?

"Walt Disney's" in Finnish.
Genitive forms differ from language to language!

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Leave posted:

I'm actually really curious what the translation there is, because it can't be real words
In order:

Walt Disney's
Jungle Book
Swing Adventure

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Bussamove posted:

Hasn’t Bison died before, or am I misremembering?

In basically every game he's appeared in, yes, but canonically he's died three times, I think?

In Street Fighter Alpha 3 when his Psycho Drive machine is destroyed and he goes from Meat Bison to Mini Bison.

In Street Fighter 2, probably killed by Akuma.

In Street Fighter 5 after whatever happens in that plot, I don't know.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Cammy and the DOLLs were part of Bison's extensive backup body program.

I doubt they go with that route, it would kind of re-tread what happened with Seth in SFV.

Suleman has a new favorite as of 19:53 on Apr 24, 2023

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Are these official strips? Because that's some good meta poo poo

Nah, this is the mainline Marvel comics, Morlun is travelling around the multiverse devouring Spider-People. The comic strip universe proves too difficult for him.
Eventually enough Spider-folks (including Spider-Man from the Japanese tv show and his giant robot) team up to stop him and his relatives.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
Dragon Age 2 also had a similar setting that replaced spider models with war dogs.
I'm guessing that also applied to the elephant-sized spiders.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

One of the Just Cause games, the main menu background is the protagonist leaning against a car somewhere on the island. You hit 'continue' and he stands up and you're seamlessly in control.

Yeah, though there's some funny glitches with that. Should go into the glitch thread instead, but eh, it's a fun little thing in a game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TmnvbsIdKo

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Crowetron posted:

Mad Max has to be the best movie licensed video game, right? With Spider-Man 2 in a close second place?

The Riddick games were shockingly good for their time, I'd say.
Alien: Isolation is allegedly real good.
John Wick Hex was interesting, though not a classic.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Crowetron posted:

Early in Baldur's Gate 3, I found a spider-filled cave behind an abandoned basement. The boss spider at the end was way too strong for me to take down when I first found her, but she was right next to a big, conspicuous hole. With a little luck, I managed to launch her into the hole with a spell smugly looted the cave. Apparently, that hole actually connects to a later area, because once I was down there I found that big spider, dead as hell, just laying in the path.

My character even commented on it, saying "Looks like it must have slipped and fell" all innocent like.

Yeah, you can cast Feather Fall and jump into the hole, allowing you to enter the area fairly early. If you don't cast it and jump anyway, you die a scripted death (no matter how much health you have).
There's another fallen body in roughly the same area which the characters comment upon, so the voiceline might be for that one.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

bawk posted:

Picked back up Slay the Spire this weekend, still suck at it (a lot) so I went to see if there were any other games in the same vein that looked interesting. Never played Monster Train before, decided to give it a shot since it was on a deep discount!

I played the game for what felt like about an hour, then cooked some supper, sat back down at my computer after I was done with the dishes, and I've got: Level 5 Hellhorned, Level 5 Awoken, Level 4 Stygian Guard, and just beat my first Umbra run which puts me at Level 3. :stonklol:

When I would play Slay the Spire, I'd usually try/fail multiple times while listening to podcasts in the background with the game music turned off. I'm about 50/50 on winning Monster Train runs and the soundtrack is so good, I went and bought it + the DLC after a couple runs. :allears:

Yeah, Monster Train starts out with a much gentler difficulty curve than Slay The Spire. On the harder difficulty levels, it gets much trickier and surviving without an exponentially growing build setup is very difficult..

I do love the game and the variety it offers.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Reo posted:

My group did that too. It also had the added benefit of giving the prisoner the "Wet" status, so a turn later when the boss attempted to disguise itself as an illusory duplicate of the prisoner, we immediately knew which one was real because it was wet!

At least in an earlier patch, there was also one factor that allowed you to tell the prisoner and the boss apart:
The real prisoner is visibly pregnant. The fake one is not. This could be seen by examining the character models.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Solenna posted:

That sounds amazing :allears:
Unfortunately, on the higher difficulties, your charge + shotgun combo is just shy of reaching the breakpoint where you can kill certain tough enemies. So you might charge in, empty your shotgun, and be staring right into the face of a very angry big boy (and his friends). It's still obviously a viable class to play, but requires some thought and care.
Lower difficulties, though? Like a knife through butter.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Couldn't you finish him off with a Nova?

I was specifically talking about ME2 here, Nova was introduced in ME3. I'm thinking this combo being so risky is part of why they implemented Nova.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I would love a mod that removed BTs, combat and to be honest the entire plot other than back and forth deliveries. Just leave it as the walking simulator equivalent of Truck Simulator/Snowrunner.

Heck yeah.

I had a blast just building my zipline network going to every single possible delivery target on the map, then zipping across, so overloaded with materials that I would fall over immediately if I ever had to take a step. Logistics!

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

CJacobs posted:

The handsome doppelganger was also retconned back to life because the writers liked him so much!
Yeah, specifically as an ally and not an antagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What games go overboard with the stats and modifiers, and what does them right?

I've been playing Humankind, which is a Civilization-esque game, and your cities can get statuses like "+20 research output for 10 turns" from random events, which is nice, except your cities' outputs eventually reach the 1000s so none of the effects really matter later in the game.

On the other hand, I think the game's city + outpost system is a nice way of handling settling territories and the game is in many ways more approachable than, say, Endless Legend with its inventory management and other fiddliness.