Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

CJacobs posted:

I wish Arkham Knight worked at all on PC for any human being so I could play it because it sounds great from this thread :saddowns:

One of my friends on an AMD card is getting better performance than I am.

I upgraded to a 970 last month and was glad I got Arkham Knight free.

From what I was able to play of the game: I like the ability/upgrade menu layout a good bit; the hexagonal layout is kinda nice, and a lot is available from the beginning, as it would seem, so that'll be good once I can get to playing it more. I'm like about 5, 10 minutes into the actual game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Mazerunner posted:

Yeah there's some good ones. A guy who can only do one riot but can't stay out too late because it's his turn to watch the kids in the morning, or another guy who hipster bitches that riots stop being fun after all the assholes join in.

"Maybe it's a metaphor, you know, like... the fear toxin was in our hearts all along?"

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
After seeing praise for that series here, I think I'm intrigued enough to pick it up next time I see it on sale. Is 4 an acceptable jumping-on point?

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Crow Jane posted:

This may not count as a little thing, as it was completely random. I started playing CK2 again, and used the ruler creator to make a genius diplomat that also happened to have the lunatic trait. I was just kinda chugging along as Mercia with my awesome first ruler, making Wales my bitch, but hadn't produced an heir with my mediocre wife yet. Fortunately, the game decided to turn me into a werewolf. Every once in a while, I'd get an event sequence where I lost it during a full moon, though usually I'd just howl myself hoarse or kill a cow or something. The sequence fired up again, and this time the victim was my wife. Remarried an attractive, lustful, genius strategist who came with a pretty awesome alliance, and she started pumping out genius sons almost immediately. After a few years, Jesus himself started giving my guy combat advice, and I was able to found the kingdom of England and go down in history as the greatest werewolf who ever lived. The sheer strangeness of this game is the best thing ever. It's a shame the Lunatic trait can't be passed down, I want to create an entire dynasty of werewolves.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Post Your Favorite (or Request) > Fortunately, the game decided to turn me into a werewolf.
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Post Your Favorite (or Request) > Jesus himself started giving my guy combat advice

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

FauxGateau posted:

Don't have to worry about that microtransactions are already in the game!

"Boss, you're out of sneak energy! Swipe your credit card through the slot on your robo-arm to refill!"

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Playing on PC, one thing in TPP I'm liking mechanically so far is how much easier CQC-restraint followup actions are. In GZ it was annoying to move to the arrow keys just to choose an interrogation option. These have now been changed to the number keys (not numpad, that'd still be a bit far to go), and it's sped up my flow of play just a little bit (since I just got the capability to understand what the Soviets are saying, making interrogation useful).

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My favourite perverse little pleasure is you can punch your guys in Mother Base and they just salute with a "THANK YOU, SIR! :patriot:"

Visit Mother Base. Sprint into one of your soldiers, knocking him/her down.
"THANK YOU, SIR!"
Staff Morale Increased

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Aphrodite posted:

One of the guys can't be tranqed.

Or at least he can take 17 hits of it.

I got him by a Six Million Dollar punch.

Just need a better tranq gun. The regular ol' pistol requires a lot of shots to put down an old soldier, but snipe 'em with a tranq rifle and they're down for the count.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

McDragon posted:

D-Dog grew up. Now he's like Koromaru if he was a spy with an eyepatch and riot gear. Poor Soviets just don't know what the gently caress when Big Boss and D-Dog attack together.

Also before that I did a mission taking out armored vehicles while on horseback with a bazooka and The Final Countdown blaring.

Also there was a mission where I got into a fight with a sniper. I took her out with a pair of artillery strikes.

Oh, and I got a mission I haven't tried yet to capture a "legendary bear".

Basically MSGV is amazing and wonderful once you start getting Mother Base set up. Or "Dog Hotel" as the emblem says.

My emblem read "NAKED TANGO" earlier today.
Now it reads "MIKE SNATCHER".

I'll probably go back in again in a couple days to see what words I can slap together to humorous effect.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
More MGSV.

I love the cassette tapes. All the lore. Especially Code Talker and his high standards of hamburger. :allears:

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Mine was "WHITE WOMEN" with a menacing Moai head but my girlfriend made me change it.

It's now a dude getting Fultoned with the words "BOY SNATCHER"

My previous ones have been NAKED TANGO, MIKE SNATCHER, and my current is WHISKEY EATER. I'll change to something better soon but I'm proud to a degree of MIKE SNATCHER.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Yup.

More MGSV: activating a decoy when an enemy is investigating/on top of the disc will stun them.

"Eliminate armed infantry" side ops became far easier after I learned this. No need to worry about their armor anymore!

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

poptart_fairy posted:

Not sure if it's a bug but both the actual rocket punch and Snake screaming ROOOOOOOCKET PUUUUUUUUUUUNCH are considered silent actions and won't attract any attention. :v:

Does this also apply to using the Hand of Jehuty when Snake bellows out HAIDARAAAAA? I never used it near enough to other soldiers to check.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Edmond Dantes posted:

If you're hiding in a toilet and an enemy soldier comes to check, you can play the tape with the guy having diarrhea over the speakers and they will not check inside. :v:

And to add on to this list, as probably stated before in the thread, you can play tapes of soldiers saying "Enemy eliminated!" (or whatever - I only know about tapes for Russian and Afrikaans, I believe) to fool them into calling off a search. I don't think I've successfully done so but I've seen reports of it previously.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Judge Tesla posted:

Strong in Fallout 4 is a big dumb idiot who likes fighting and not much else, he shares a voice actor with Goku, another big dumb idiot who likes fighting and not much else, this is pretty great, I'll always miss Fawkes and his Gattling Laser from F3 but, Strong will do just fine.

Mack Beth. :haw:

Fallout 4 gun talk: I found a hunting rifle that deals double damage to full health opponents. I like that I've been able to change it into a sniper rifle. Also, weapon naming is a great thing that we have now. I've named my shotgun "The Disagreement".

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

muscles like this? posted:

There's some really funny writing in FO4, like running into some raiders talking about a guy they tried to rob. He got away by throwing "grenades" that were just rocks and making machine gun noises with his mouth and then "driving" away on his "motorcycle."

Part of me hopes this guy is actually in the game because I would love to encounter that for myself. :3:

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Nuebot posted:

My friend has a consistant bug where if he sprints into a stationary vehicle he dies. For the life of me I can't get it to happen in my game. My dog, however, does tend to helicopter into the sky any time it tackles an enemy, taking the enemy with it. If there's no roof they just go flying for a while.

I jumped and came into contact with a metal roadside barrier and got the BLARE AND SLOWCAM OF YOU ARE DEAD earlier. So there's that.

But something that really surprised me just now (exited the game just to post about it, actually): I was on my way to a settlement for a radiant quest, and decided to do some cooking before going to clear out the raiders threatening the settlement. I had brought Nick along since I got Piper's perk and I figured I'd start building my friendship with him.

And then I hear Nick talking - to one of the settlers! I didn't actually catch the start, but it felt like it deepened the reality of the world to have your NPC companion talk to another NPC and imply they had history. Just a random settler, not even another low-importance named NPC, but a generic settler. I really appreciate that detail. Dang.

...even if it's basically an edited version of two non-companion NPCs talking. I'm just too used to companions not interacting with the rest of the world much.

graybook has a new favorite as of 02:31 on Nov 16, 2015

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Geokinesis posted:

Take Piper along, she'll stop occasionally to do really bad journalism with random NPCs.

I really like the fact you can find raiders that have managed to fix up their own scraps and spikes power armour. It looks pretty cool but not really worth the armour after you find anything past your first suit.

Huh, I must have not noticed all the time I had her tagging along.
After I get Nick's perk I have GOT to take Strong on a murdertour to see how his interactions are.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I was reminded of this from a different thread:

So in Fallout 3, one of the songs on Galaxy News Radio was Butcher Pete, but only Part 1.

Fallout 4 includes Part 2. Now you don't have to be curious about the further adventures of everyone's favorite old-time sung hero murderer-metaphor for dude who jammed his love log into a bunch of women, probably. (Okay, fine, I listened to part 2 outside of the games, but having it in-game from the get-go gives a sense of closure.)

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Grey Fox posted:

In Fallout 4's loading screens, you'll see comic books and magazines from 2077 drawn in a cool Atomic Era style of the late 40's/early 50's.

But then you look at the prices and they've been adjusted to 2077 dollars, resulting in comic books that cost $70 off the rack.

There's also a terminal in... The Gwinnett Restaurant, I think? where a pint of regular beer is recorded as costing $39.
A T-shirt is $65.
A keg of seasonal beer is $799.

Jesus.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Even more Fallout 4. So in conjunction with the previously-mentioned point about renaming things, I am 12 and my beloved favorite weapon has returned.

You can even pin body parts to living creatures' body parts, which is a new little thing I discovered (unless this was previously in 3).

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Nuebot posted:

:aaa: where do you get that poo poo? I have the Junk Jet but it's completely underwhelming.

If you don't want to hunt all over the Commonwealth for it, it's at a railyard roughly northeast-ish of Starlight Drive-In. Check inside one of the open rail cars.
My eyes lit up once I got it, honestly. Gotta put it away for a little while because I definitely want to keep building up my ammo stock.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

death .cab for qt posted:

So. Neko Atsume is a phone game based around being a crazy cat lady. You buy furniture and food to attract cats to your yard, and the cats give you a little bit of the game's currency in thanks for letting them play with the toys, sleep in catbedd, etc.

It's also got some of the most realistic cat behavior I've ever seen. Of course the cats just chill out with their assholes pointed at you. That's what real cats do.

And then there's this Fucker. He's named Bolt, but I have renamed him Fucker. I had just spent about 5 bucks on this game's premium currency to expand my yard, change its style, and get some nice new things for it.

So naturally, Fucker sits in the lone loving cardboard box.

That tiny cardboard box is one of my favorite items.

Try the glass vase if you haven't already.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Just Cause 3: While I was grapple-leaping to the top of a police building, there was some barbed wire on the edge. Jumping through it, I found that it wasn't just a decoration, and it did in fact deal a little bit of damage. I appreciate that it wasn't cosmetic.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

My Lovely Horse posted:

I realize I'm way late to Shadow of Mordor's Nemesis system party, but I've been having a lot of fun with it. There's this one Uruk who started out as a complete nobody who just happened to kill me and became captain, lucked into a combination of traits that make him really hard to take down, and after meeting and failing to crack him a few more times, I finally realized the easiest way to deal with him would just be making him warchief. Best part is that he's a big fat idiot. We're sleeper agent buds now but I feel like I'll end up having to tell him about the rabbits.

Another one in the first half of the game was a complete pain-in-the-rear end wiry runt who started out as Ushbaka the One-Eyed and who I killed so many times that he started showing up with big stapled gashes in his face, and then eventually just wore a bag over his head, because apparently not even the Uruk could stand looking at him anymore. Anyone know where the Shadow of Mordor stories start in this thread? I'm sure there are a ton.

First I saw was page 31, checking against release date.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Rigged Death Trap posted:

FO4 Super Mutants scream "YEEAAARRRT"

That is all.
Might not even be intentional
But I like it.

Namu amida butsu

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

HardDisk posted:

Replaying SR2 for the nth time.

Man, I only watched the Break the Build video for the first time a few days ago. I was laughing my rear end off, and I think I'm gonna watch another one later. Good stuff.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Will do! I think Saints Row 2 is honestly my favorite game of all time, and from the Break the Build video (which I will now link here for ease of access), I can now share this little thing: One of the animated bits in the game, a hospital curtain, is coded in as a character. And the devs get into antics with that model in the video.
Caution, it's over an hour long. But it's an hour of pure entertainment, especially for those who've played this at least a decent amount.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Or the beloved Septic Avenger (for those unfamiliar, a sewage truck you could unlock that allowed you to spray poo poo all over things). But at least they're little things from pre-3 that we love.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

FredMSloniker posted:

It happened too fast, whatever it was. How did he screw himself over?

Player puts fan on wall. Recording puts fan on pressure plate, powering fan just placed on wall. Player steps into fan's area of influence, gets pushed into floating mine that was in the path of influence.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Digirat posted:

My clone dropped the forcefield, which made the fan on the other side blow me into the fan pointed at the mine. You can't move at all once a fan is pushing you so I pretty much betrayed me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc5iTNVEOAg

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Holistic Detective posted:

Finally picked up a PS4 and I've been working my way through Just Cause 3 all week. I love how unrestrictive the game is when it comes to solving most of the challenges, don't like the selection of cars available for a race? Just air-drop in an F1 car in before starting and use that.

One of the early frenzy challenges, which require you to destroy as many chaos objects in an area within a minute and a half, involved using a boat with a piddly little machine gun on the front that you can't move and shoot which makes keeping your combo going really tough. I was pretty stumped by it until I realised that the game doesn't start timing you until you destroy the first object and doesn't care what you use. Ten minutes of creative tethering later I had managed to move one of the gun emplacements from the side of the area onto the top of one of the dockyard cranes with a 360 degree view of the base. First object I demolished was the boat I started in. :hellyeah:

It's like Michael Bay made a simplified Scribblenauts.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

razorrozar posted:

You unlock NG+ either way, but it only makes sense if you take the Reset option at least once. The other option is the better ending.

Speaking of Bastion, one of my favorite 'little things' of all time: In the final mission, you get a super-weapon that takes up all your equip slots. Shortly thereafter, you encounter the game's main villain being beaten to death by his allies for leading you to their base, where you gently caress poo poo up. You have the option to drop the superweapon and carry the villain to safety instead. If you take it, you lose the ability to attack at all, and have to walk through a corridor of archers unloading on you... until you get about halfway through, when they realize you're not going to fight back, and stop shooting.

That's not the little thing, though. It's beautiful in itself, but there's one more tiny little touch that's loving heart-rending. When you're almost to the level exit, one of the archers decides to take a pot-shot at you. His own commander cuts him down with one stroke so you can pass in peace and save Zulf.

Bastion is one of the best games ever and the ending is amazing.

It was even more tense for me because I kept using up my heals and thinking poo poo poo poo I'm not making it out alive when I finally ran out.
Supergiant basically made me a diehard fan with just one game. Kudos to them.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
In Mad Max, there are Strongholds in each major area which act as a base for you - they're where you can take a different car than the Magnum Opus out into the world, and they have projects you can build for benefits.
Two of these projects are:
The Survey Crew, which marks all lootable locations in the areas within the base's territory. No need to go out and search for some little 2-scrap location in sandfuck nowhere, it'll get added to your map instantly with this.
The Scrap Crew, which autocollects scrap resulting from destroying enemy vehicles within the base's territory. Now when you're busting up a bunch of cars, you don't have to get out and grab the scrap, you can just keep driving.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

razorrozar posted:

The collectible finder in SR4 was fantastic but collecting all the drat clusters was still a massive pain in the rear end.

What's nice in this situation, though, is if you have a buddy playing with you, I believe it's the case that any clusters you collect will be added to their count, and vice versa.
It's been some time since I played, so if I'm wrong, I apologize.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Icedude posted:

The Cleanup Crew's the one that autocollects vehicle wreckage. Scrap Crew is arguably even better because it gives you free scrap for the time you had the game closed, so you still make progress even when you aren't playing.

Also speaking of Mad Max, I just noticed last night that when you're health is so low that the game goes into black and white, all the openable doors and climbable objects that are painted yellow are still yellow, so you can still find your way around easily on low health.

I wish the Survey Crew worked for finding the drat minefields though. That poo poo is tedious.

Ah yes - thanks for the correction.
And yeah, screw finding the minefields on your own. I feel so dang unprotected driving around in Chum's Buggy.
But then sometimes someone shows up to pick a fight while I'm defusing bombs.

So at that point, if I've found a mine, I try and bait them into it. Thus far, in my experience, baiting a car doesn't work, but once the driver gets out, they'll run right over the mine.
Another great little thing is that defusing the mine gets you some ammo (though I don't think I've ever done this and not been at full ammo, given armory projects and how you have to go to a stronghold to drive the buggy anyways).

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Cleretic posted:

Project X Zone 2 has so many great little things in it, that ultimately stem from the fact that it respects every single franchise that it's using. It would've been so easy to be lazy about some of the titles it's pulling from, but they never are and it's great.

-At several points during scenes with Sakura Wars characters you can hear the jingle for relationship levels going up.
-M. Bison's bio describes him as using many different names and identities in different countries, because for some reason Street Fighter localizations kept shuffling names around in the early days.
-While most of the Resident Evil representation is pretty straight-faced, Jill's bio makes a point of calling her the Master of Unlocking.
-Phoenix Wright spends most of the game with no loving clue what's going on, playing a pretty good straight man... until like twenty chapters after his introduction, when one of the major villains is explaining something. Objection starts playing, the only point it ever plays in the game, as Phoenix interrupts her and dismantles her entire story.
-Basically any time Segata Sanshiro does or says anything. :allears:

I don't think I'll be playing this game, but the character you mentioned in your last point has me completely and wholeheartedly supporting this.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I actually did know the context for that - that is purely delightful. It feels like with a game that brings together so many properties, it would be a disservice to not be an instance of "little things: the game".

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I like that when you're planning to sticky bomb someone, it not only shades the area of effect, it additionally highlights enemies who will be hit (shown with red line segments from center of blast) to explicitly let you know who all is about to get blown up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Cleretic posted:

And the voice acting for it is all low-bitrate short lines, delivered shittily. That was, according to the devs, a fun day in the recording studio.

I had to go back and look this up. Gotta replay this sometime for the heck of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fKr767Cftc
Here's someone's playthrough of the 16-bit segment.