Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

grate deceiver posted:

I like how in Hand of Fate the dealer comments on every thing you do, from equipment choices, your playstyle, giving you hints on bosses, to even the amount of real time that passes between playing the game. Feels very organic, he'll even call you impatient if you click through the event cards too fast.

Also, there's an option in the settings menu to turn the spider on/off.

Pretty great little game overall, it's on humblebundle at $5 tier for 10 more hours.

I love the Hand of Fate dealer, he's up there with the ancestor from Darkest Dungeon for great game narrators.

My favourite dealer moment so far:
There's an event card, I forget what it's called, but it pretty much always gives you a free shield and since the shield let's you perform the crazy useful counter attack I always have it in my deck.
Well, after getting it several games in a row, the dealer just kind of sighs and says "I suspect the reason you always put that in your deck is just so you can get a free shield".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

A lot of people miss out on a fair bit of content because they go in playing a pacifist/genocide route.
You can only see this content if you do one thing, reload and try something else.

In fact, depending on how you handle the first boss the game will explicitly tell you that the ability to save and load are abilities that your character has.
The game also hints that previous humans could do this while in the underworld, but most people miss this unless they go back to change their pie preferences.

So yeah, the reason it came out of no where is because you didn't mess around enough by saving and reloading.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Agent355 posted:

People tend to kind of offhandedly dismiss undertale as being all about friendship and saturday morning cartoon morals but alot of it is actually about compulsive behavior and doing things simply because they exist to be done. It's one of the driving forces of the antagonist and a good deal of the cast as well.

This includes the best ending.

on the surface the best ending comes about because of the power of love.
But in reality it comes about because everyone in the cast, including the player character and you the player learn to let go.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

I really hope the people that made Hand of Fate make a physical card and dice game.

I love it and would like to play around a table with friends. It could be like a really light DnD.

You're in luck

https://handoffateordeals.com/

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Morpheus posted:

I can't get over how much I enjoy Roland being a shockingly competent jRPG protagonist in Ni No Kuni 2.

I love how okay he is with his situation

"Hmmm let's see here, I just witnessed a nuclear missile wipe out a major city, I seem to have been teleported to the magical world of Redwall, I'm 30 years younger and there is a small catboy pointing a dagger at me, guess there's only one thing for I, the president of the Not United States of America, to do!"

*Proceeds to gun down several mouse people*

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Morpheus posted:

He doesn't goof around, he doesn't, like, humorously trip and fall, and he plans and executes strategies like someone that is/was in charge of a powerful nation should.

Later, he even pulls off a plan to deceive his allies in order to make the enemy think he's betraying them, but in fact it's a con to get him into the enemy's lair..

Frankly the game should be about him moreso than catboy, though even Evan is competent in his own right, albeit a little naive.

My favourite part of that whole chapter? Mausinger.

The fact that Mausinger isn't even remotely fooled by any of it was great, he easily sees through the whole thing, tricks Roland and even gets him to lead them to the Mark of Kings. If Roland hadn't enlisted the help of fantasyland Q Mausinger would have won.
I also love how unlike the other rulers, the game goes out of it's way to actually establish his motivations ahead of time to the point where his actions were understandable given what he truly believed.
Hell, he was the only ruler that didn't turn on his own people, it's just that his definition of "His own people" was a tad...narrow
And again, unlike the other rulers, the fact he turned out to be a badass was just hilarious

Honestly, considering he was a ham flavoured mouse man, Mausinger was a surprisingly good character.

I had a fair few issues with the games plot and characters, but Roland and Mausinger weren't two of them.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

The Dogfolk names are so dumb

Let's see, you have Yip Yip, Ya Pi, Hau Ling, Bao Wao and Ah Chu.
There's also Pi Chi and Min Ti.
The one with an eye patch is Yo Ho-Ho.

And of course, Fai Do.

The Grimalkin (Cat people) names are tame in comparison

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Morpheus posted:

This is kind of a hot take, but I thought that scene where Zeus turned into a swan and tried to gently caress Kratos was kind of weird and out-of-place in the original GoW trilogy.

That scene wouldn't have been nearly as bad if they hadn't made it a QTE section.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I'm playing a small game called Save Koch, it's a game where you play as a pig man crime boss who's being targeted for a hit, so the gameplay is mostly you sitting in a panic room making phone calls and sending out your agents to do missions in order to figure out who the mastermind behind it is, and who their mole is.

One of the agents I unlocked is a hacker, her description says she never leaves her home, which I assumed was just flavour text.
That is until I sent her to investigate an arson tip, it turned out it was a trap and the building exploded, this would have killed any other agent, but according to the completion message, her being a shut in nerd meant she wasn't there when the bomb went off.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Danger - Octopus! posted:

This sounds really good

I'm honestly enjoying the hell out of it.

The main thing about the game is that, other than opening the menu, you can't pause to examine things, time is always passing, which means the game can be extremely hectic.

Like when missions pop up, you have a limited amount of time to do them, and doing a mission can take a lot of time, so you have to pick and chose which ones you try to complete, and which ones you skip.

And the thing is, while most missions open up new storylines and provide clues, a lot don't, there are several missions that are straight up red herrings.

So like you can get a hot tip that there is a group of weirdos gathering in a warehouse, so you send your detective in for a couple hours to spy on them, only to discover it was just a bunch of hipsters watching old arthouse movies.
In the mean time someone was murdered in the streets and you have only a few hours until the cops shut down the crime scene and someone matching the description of an assassin was seen moving through the astroport, and it's only a few hours before their ship arrives.
These are both missions your detective specializes in, but because you had her waste her time at a warehouse you now have to make a choice between the two.
You could send one of your other agents, but chances are they don't have the skill set for them, so there is a good chance they'll fail and a chance that they could even be killed.

And while all that is going on you're constantly sending out your other agents and making and answering phone calls, so like I said, it can get hectic.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

It's a bit hard to talk about since the game is all story and the truly fantastic parts are all huge spoilers.
That said, my first failure came when my Sorry Cop realized that communism failed so he quit the force due to too much sadness.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

I was talking to the racist lorry driver and was kind of wishy washy about it not backing up Kim and not agreeing with the racist and the game gave me poo poo for it after I finished the conversation.

Yeah, the writing as a whole takes a seriously dim view on the concept of "Enlightened Centrists" who like to pretend they're peace keepers while maintaining an oppressive status quo.

Unlike most choice based RPGs it very much reminds you that not making a choice is a choice itself and very often the wrong one.

Edit: And the racist driver was a really good moment because I think it's the first time I've seen a game tackle the concept of dog whistles, because rather than just have him scream slurs from the back of a pickup truck he, at first, says seemingly nice things that your character (And probably you the player) won't pick up on right away, but your partner immediately realises is an insult towards him.

Pulsarcat has a new favorite as of 05:08 on Oct 19, 2019

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Leal posted:

Pokemon Sword and Shield have a big Soccer theme in it (I mean it DOES take place in Britain), when you do gym battles in glorified soccer arenas the crowd cheers. Takes me back to watching Benfica play soccer with my dad :unsmith:

The gym battles are seriously great.

Another neat touch is if you don't press any buttons during a fight the camera will start showing different views.
During gym battles it acts like an in stadium camera by mixing in shots of the cheering audience and one of the views is an actual camera view, like you can see a drone flying around the fight and you'll see what it's recording.

And the cheering and chanting when you get the gym leader down too their final gigantic pokemon is fantastic.

It does a really good job of making the gym battles feel like major sporting events rather than just fights against slightly stronger trainers.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Don't read this until you've completed the mission: It's actually the opposite. You the player are the only one that knows it's a nuke, which is even more funny imo. Sam has no idea it's a nuke until Fragile pops open the case in the optional mid-mission cutscene and is like OH poo poo ITS A NUKE.

This means that he not only did not recognize it was clearly Higgs who gave him the nuke, but he also didn't bother assessing why the guy said to be careful with it or why it's for Fragile and not part of his original delivery. He didn't ask why it is glowing and vibrates if you jiggle it too hard, did not ask why it's beeping, and did not ponder why his delivery was now suddenly a timed one. He even TAKES A QUICK NAP WHILE WAITING FOR FRAGILE WITH A NUKE JUST HANGIN OUT. :allears:

On the bright side, this tells us apparently the cargo equipment screen is just a gameplay mechanic and Sam can't actually see it!

Spoiler for end game stuff Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you get a note from Higgs later in the game saying he straight up tagged it as a nuclear bomb because he thought it would be funny and because he thought no one reads the tag anyways? Which would mean Sam can see the equipment screen, he just doesn't read it, like Higgs said.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I've been playing Journey to the Savage Planet, and it's a pretty fun first person shooter/exploration game that feels like a much sillier Metroid Prime.

My favourite little thing so far? The first thing you're asked to do is when you start is log into a computer and fill out a questionnaire.
Said questionnaire is just one question, it asks you to pick a picture of yourself from a selection of goony looking men and women, and a cute dog.

I, like many players selected the picture of the adorable doggo, and at first it seems like a meaningless silly choice that has no effect.

At first.

While your character doesn't speak, they do make various video game grunts and yells while things happen, and the picture you picked determines your voice, if you picked a man you have a male voice, if you picked a woman you get a female voice and, well you all see where this is going, right?

That's right me and several other players are going through the game as a space adventurer who growls, pants and yelps.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Another fun little thing from Savage Planet.

This game, like some others, justifies why you can die multiple times by having you emerge from a cloning pod each time you die.
But what's really fun is you can go back and find your corpse, if you scan it your computer helper mentions you probably shouldn't think about this too hard, and you are given the option to press E to "Shamefully bury your own corpse".

If you do this a holographic tombstone pops up with a number on it letting you know which number death it was.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

For me the best little thing in Rune Factory 4 is you carry up to nine of the same item, no not in your inventory, in you hands and you don't even have to press the button each time, you can just hold down the A button as you run over them.

Also you can throw them and it has the same effect as placing them into something or giving them to someone.
So no need to painstakingly put each vegetable into your inventory, then walk all the way over too shipping bin, just run through your farm holding A and you'll scoop up your veggies into a terrifyingly teetering tower of turnips which you can just toss all at once into the bin.

Gift giving works the same way, just make a bunch of food all at once then make a mad dash through town beaning people with plates of pickled turnips, they'll thank you for it.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Pooncha posted:

Also, all the chances to [Glare Silently] makes me want to play a character that takes that option every opportunity I get.

It's the best because if you do it enough other characters will notice and then start commenting on it, and if you do it throughout the whole game it ends up being a setup to a hilarious punchline near the end.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I just started the remake and I'm having a blast so far, but now you goons make me realize I'll never truly love this game until I see Red XIII open a treasure chest.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Zebulon posted:

Red XIII is in the game, but only as a guest character. In specific, he shows up in chapter 17 out of 18 so they didn't bother making him controllable for so little time. So he's around, he'll attack, run around, etc but he's not controllable. Sadly you never see him open a chest but he does have a very adorable interaction animation that comes up several times, and he should be fully controllable in the 2nd remake game.

I really hope he becomes fully playable, not only because he was my favourite character in the original, but also I want to see all the unique animations they would have to give him for simple activities like climbing ladders and opening doors.

Seriously one of my favourite things about playing as Blade Wolf in Metal Gear Rising was seeing some of his animations, including him using his little grabber dealie at the end of his tail to use a laptop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZtfezTKcAg&t=1200s

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Speaking of Hardspace: Shipbreaker, I mentioned this in another thread, but in it you have a grapple beam that you can retract while holding something, if it's small you pull it towards yourself if it's big you get pulled towards it.

While being taught to use it I pulled an antenna off a ship and pulled towards me, it turns out the game runs on the rear end in a top hat version of space physics because the antenna hit me so hard it smashed my helmet and I suffocated, a whole thirty seconds into the tutorial.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I was one of the people who didn't find the guy who upgrades your inventory until after I completed two or three dungeons, I found the item he wanted a couple hours in, but I simply never bumped into him.

The game gives you so much freedom in how you get too places I basically never travelled along roads so I missed a bunch of stuff.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I just finished Spiritfarer, and I seriously loved it, it's great that so long as you don't overlap your buildings you can shove them anywhere, they don't even have to be on another building, so if you want to shove a chicken coop a mile into the air, go for it.

The end result is your ship is a hilarious maze of ladders and ledges.

I'm also really glad that your passengers weren't puzzles or cases to be "solved" your job is too simply make them comfortable and listen to them as you ferried them around until they were ready too move on, it meant that their stories were much more "mundane" but also more impactful.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Oh, since we're gushing about Spiritfarer, I love the fact that it's another game that shows you don't need combat or even a failure state, to have engaging gameplay.

Seriously, I loved just sailing around the world picking up treasures and resources in order to continue building up my baffling monstrosity of a ship.

Hell, the game doesn't even have an antagonist, sure there are some jerks, some of them are even your passengers, but they aren't people to be overcome, just understood.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I've recently gotten back into playing Golf Story, and I absolutely love the way it uses the joy cons rumble feature to make the sound of your ball going off a cliff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1tV6tQwKpQ

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Fuga Melodies of Steel is the latest game in the Tail Concerto/Solatorobo/etc long running series. It's basically a long grim game about a group of NotFrench children who end up in a supertank fighting NotGermans. It's got an RPG combat system which is surprisingly fun, but what I really love is how it handles Status Effects.

Any attack that has a Status Effect will show a percentage change of causing that status effect when you target an enemy with it. Many enemies are vulnerable to various effects which makes them incredibly useful and you know just how viable it is to attack an enemy with one, since a 70% chance at a stun is far different from a 10% chance at a stun. In addition even if enemies are immune to status effects if you have someone who can inflict Bad Luck on them (or use an item that does) it can render enemies who are immune vulnerable. This applies all the way to the final boss who can be hit with various status effects reliably.

It's such a simple idea but it works really well .

I'm honestly loving this game.

It's one of the few turn based games where the "Defend" command is extremely useful.
You are using three guns, but only one tank so while you control three characters you only have one life bar so you can defend while still having the other two guns blazing.
Add to that HP is a resource that needs to be managed over the course of a chapter, which means reducing incoming damage is sometimes more important than dealing all the damage you can.

Seriously, I love how Fuga strongly encourages you to use all of its' mechanics in order to avoid using the games show piece mechanic.
Namely using the souls of children as ammo in your war against the forces of furry facism.

Also your tank picks up items by driving over the crate like a God damned monster truck, that's rad as hell.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

A neat thing about HP is that it also isn't an all or nothing. While you die when you hit 0 HP, being low on HP has a negative effect on your characters and can lead to them panicked, getting depressed or getting injured. The first goes away in a few rounds but the latter two are permanent until you get to your next rest stop (and even then you have to spend 5 of your time units to get them fixed) so you're encouraged to think about your HP more than just "Full or 0."

And on top of that the game tosses in abilities that get stronger the more damage the tank has taken, so you're not only risking a game over but having to spend the few time units you get on taking care of the kids rather than much needed upgrades.

I'm only part way through chapter 4, but so far I've been pleasantly surprised at just how engaging the combat is, I'm constantly swapping characters in order to make sure I'm using the right abilities and weapons, and it's just difficult enough that I'll run into an enemy group that is bound and determined to punch above their weight class.

And yeah, I do like how the kids panicking and getting depressed does a good job driving home the fact the tank crew isn't made up of hardened space marines but literal children.

Even if I manage to go the whole game without having to rely on the soul cannon I'm guessing the story isn't going to be a pleasant one.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I think the Action RPG Bards tale did that, where monsters would drop goofy items, like sheep occasionally dropping wolf skins or wolves dropping red hoods, and when you walked over them they automatically became coins.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I've been playing a lot of Pokemon Legends: Arceus and I like the way it handles mounts.

You get five of them, two land, one water, one that let's you climb BOTW style and one that lets you glide BOTW style.
At first I was worried that switching between them would be a chore and you would have to constantly mount and dismount while travelling.

But swapping is easy, if you simply use the D-pad to highlight a different mount, you'll switch too it after about a second.
You also get a prompt too switch to the climbing one when you press up against a climbable surface and a prompt to switch too the gliding one when you're in the air.

You'll also automatically switch to the swimming mount when you leap into the water while mounted, and switch back when you leap onto land.

But best of all, when climbing your pokemon carries you around like this.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

The instruction manual in Tunic is charming as hell.
It's designed to look like the manuals you would get with some SNES games.
Most of the manual is written in the games language, it reminds me of playing a game imported from Japan and trying to piece some of it together from the pictures.

I also love how I've been picking up these cards and golden coins, which according to the manual go together, I just need to turn to page 20 to figure out how.

I don't have page 20.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Speaking of neat little musical touches, I really like how Beast Breaker handles it.

At your home you have four rooms you can switch between, each with it's own music.

As you progress through the game you recruit companions, who will stay in one of the four rooms.
What's neat is the music for the room they are staying in changes as you add more people too them, usually becoming more complex.

It's a great way to capture the feeling that you're filling up your home.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Similar to SMT V mentioned above, when you ambush a beast, the music is sorta quiet as you perform your first actions. Once the beast 'activates', the next layer of music kicks in.

Honestly, Beast Breaker has a great sound track, half the fun of unlocking a new area or fighting a new beast is the music for it.
For a game I picked up on a whim so I could spend my lunch break flinging a tiny mouse child around like a pinball Beast Breaker was incredibly fun.

quote:

Related, you’re helping out the Allucaneet Kingdom against the evil forces of the Thirstquencher Empire. Also all the residents of the castle have food pun names, like Cook Mary-Nade, Musician Pianissimeat, and Mercenary Meitlofe

I don't care if I somehow live to be a thousand, I will never get tired of Japan's love of stupid rear end pun names.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

AlMac posted:

My friend made Observation and I was fortunate enough to be able to playtest various builds at his studio as it was being made. He and I had many coffee shop discussions about that game after I’d played and digested the final version. I’ll pass your comments on to him, it’ll make his day!

Well, if you're passing comments off, I just wanted to say.

Not only was observation an amazing game, it had one of the best title sequences I've seen in a game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCnFWDa8KFw

This got me in the mood for some serious Sci-Fi spooks!

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Since it's on game pass I gave Cooking Simulator a try.
It's basically a cooking game with physics and there are a couple fun things.

There's a dart board you can use, I couldn't find where you're supposed to get darts, until I realized you can toss your knife at it.
If you toss your phone out the window it will hop back in.
There's apparently a ladle you can buy, but I tried picking up the whole soup pot and turning it upside to pour soup into a bowl, this went well.
I discovered you can buy a propane tank, I don't know what use it is when it comes to cooking, but I do know that if you toss it on the girdle it will blow the doors off your fridge.

The only down side is the fuse on the fire cracker is too short, so you can't send it out too the customer before the bowl you put it in explodes.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

FreshFeesh posted:

The Let’s Game it Out guy has a whole YouTube series about messing with the cooking simulator games and what the physics engine will let you get away with

Thank you very much for mentioning him, I'm loving his videos.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

jjack229 posted:

I had someone point at that at the time they couldn't easily make games long (without the battery in the cartridge to enable saves), so ensuring that someone could play the same game for many hours meant making the game very difficult, if not impossible, to beat. That explains a lot of my experiences playing NES games as a kid.

Yes, a lot of difficulty from earlier games came from two things.

Them being ports of arcade quarter munchers, stripped of the ability for you to buy more continues.

Or to extend the length of an otherwise extremely short game.
Seriously, if you haven't done so, check out some longplays of early NES games it's crazy how quickly you can beat them.
Like the original Contra can be beaten in less than fifteen minutes if you don't die.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I tried out a demo of a game called Laika: Aged Through Blood, a metroidvania that combines Trials style motorcycle gameplay with horrifying furry violence.

Early in the game you get a cassette player that lets you play whichever music you've unlocked whenever you're on your bike, which is always a feature I appreciate.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I think the main character is a coyote.

There's a demo up on Steam if anyone wants to try it.
I also liked the trailer music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1phSG24Eog

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Eh, they were a bit barebones for my taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

For me the biggest "The location is a character" would have to be the Suikoden series, especially number two.

Most of the fun of beating a major story questline was coming back and seeing how your home base changed with all the new recruits.
They did a great job of making the place feel alive.