Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
In Tales of Maj'Eyal (which is awesome and people should play it) the Necromancer class can call up undead minions to serve him. However, the Necromancer has a small aura of negative energy around him that sustains the minions; outside the aura they will gradually decay, losing health each turn.

The little thing I really love is that if your minions fully decay outside your aura and crumble into ash, they have little lines like "master whyyyyyy" when they do. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

Finished playing through Wild Arms XF a little while ago. One thing that I liked was that each of the main crew have their own lines they sometimes say when their turn comes around. As your progress through the main story and their individual arcs, though, they each pick up additional lines they can use, adding a little more personality to each of them. A really little thing, but I liked it. :3:

theshim
May 1, 2012

The substantial pauses in the conversation when you ask him about himself are fantastic, especially since as a synthetic he processes stuff way faster than humans and you can tell it's a more personal point. Like when you ask him about the fact that he has your old N7 armor patched into him and he just says "...there was a hole." And if you press him about it and say "okay, but you could have patched it up with anything, why do you have my armor there", there's a pause of several seconds before he finally replies "...no data available." He's practically mumbling at that point, it's great. :3:

theshim
May 1, 2012

The whole Oblivion Dark Brotherhood questline is one of my favorite little things. Lucien Lachance is kickass and the early quests involve a murder mystery mansion (with a ton of different ways of splitting everyone up and killing them) and killing a guy by dropping a stuffed moose head on him (or something very similar). It's great.

theshim
May 1, 2012

haveblue posted:

IIRC it's possible to choke people unconscious without snapping their neck, but it takes longer and makes more noise.
This was always something that struck me as weird about DX:HR in comparison - there, nonlethal takedowns are the quiet ones, despite you punching or choking the dude and them often uttering yelps of surprise or pain, whereas lethal stabby or throat-slitting takedowns are louder. It basically means there is literally no reason to ever use the lethal takedown unless you're roleplaying Jensen as a complete and utter bastard (which to be fair is not wholly without cause).

theshim
May 1, 2012

[ ] Kill Yourself
[ ] ...Or Don't

theshim
May 1, 2012

So Pillars of Eternity finally launched! :woop: One thing that was mentioned is that there was a unique gun to be found in the first area.

It's a thing, all right.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

"Here lies Boobplate"
Thanks, Josh.

theshim
May 1, 2012

graybook posted:

Holy golly, are those ligatures on the s and t? Pretty.
Yyyyyyep. There are some serious nerds who worked on this game and it's wonderful. (And they can even be disabled if you're a cool-thing-hating-jerk.)

theshim
May 1, 2012

Johnny Aztec posted:

Glad I never played past the ps1 star ocean then!

behind us?!
Crawd has advanced forward

theshim
May 1, 2012

m2pt5 posted:

TEAAAAR INTA PIECES!
Explosion Pills! Explosion Pills! Secret Secret Secret Medicine.

Ah, man. Such a bad game in retrospect, but a lot of good memories from back in the day anyway.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think that was when they were hinting at Kane being the biblical Cain. I have no idea if they ever finished that plot or not, because gently caress if I'm playing C&C4. I remember there were some bits about that in the last level of Renegade.
Man, the last level of Renegade was so much fun. The announcements spazzing out, the whole rooms full of the souped up plasma rifle dudes, the run through the temple...good times.

theshim
May 1, 2012

ElwoodCuse posted:

After a battle with rebels in Tropico 5 one of my advisors said "War...war never changes"
On that note, I've been playing Fallout: New Vegas again, and one thing I enjoy is that for every melee weapon, there's a different name for the special move. Grand Slam with a spiked baseball bat is still among my favorites, though. :toughguy:

theshim
May 1, 2012

I love his progressive breakdown as you solve the riddles in Asylum. At around 75% of them he starts accusing you of looking them up online :v:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Going back to one of my favorite games, The World Ends With You. Pretty much everything about it fits for the thread, but I want to focus on one thing I loved: the drop system.

TWEWY has on-the-fly adjustable difficulty with four settings, although the fourth is postgame only. Each difficulty has its own drops and their own droprates, though the game will roll for lower difficulties as well if you're playing on a higher one and don't get that drop, so it's not as tedious as it might otherwise be. Drop rates are generally pretty low, especially later on in the game...but there's a catch.

The other form of adjustable difficulty is that you can manually set your effective level to anything from 1 to your current level. Lowering your level reduces your max health by a chunk for each one...but also acts as a flat multiplier to the droprate. Something has a 5% chance to drop? Just set your level 20 below and it's guaranteed.

It's a system that rewards risk taking and skill (because you actually had to get good at the game in order to survive fights with much less health) and I loved it. To the point that my last couple runs have been playing purely on Hard and set to level 1. TWEWY is such a goddamn good game.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Yeah. Some of the drop rates seemed insanely low (.1%) but you could get multipliers super high if you were good and knew what you were doing. In the main game you could chain up to four battles together (each one adding another multiplier), and in the postgame you could go up to sixteen in a row, including refights of story bosses and some optional boss fights.

Some of your abilities had cooldowns and some (especially healing ones) had limited uses, adding more challenge to long, drawn out fights and chains. TWEWY did so many things so well.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Sad lions posted:

The iOS port stopped working many versions of iOS ago and SE has declared their lack of intent on fixing it.
Ugh, bah. Well, in that case, I strongly recommend shelling out for a cart it if you can find it, it's absolutely worthwhile.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Hey, giant spiders are no joke.

theshim
May 1, 2012

I came across a totally unmarked location in FO4 - a pretty large 5-story parking garage next to a hospital and a few stores. The entire place had been converted into a gigantic maze, riddled with traps, ghouls, and dead ends, and at the top (after a brutal fight with a huge swarm of ghouls and a Glowing One) was a choice between two treasure rooms, where opening one blew up everything in the other. The whole place had an utterly fantastic atmosphere and going through it was a ton of fun.

Fallout 4 is pretty cool!

theshim
May 1, 2012

Cloks posted:

Could you post a picture of where this is on the map?
It's right by Milton General Hospital. Here's a picture.

theshim
May 1, 2012

scamtank posted:

So a new Dwarf Fortress major release hit.
My god, it's a libertarian snowy owl man.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

Han Solo Dies
Han Shot First...but Greedo shot last.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Lotish posted:

Yeah Power Armor training was only really a thing in 3 and NV, and NV probably had it because 3 had it and they just didn't bother taking it out. In F2, you can rush Advanced Power Armor at like level 2 if you know what you're doing.
To be fair, if you know what you're doing you can get power armor and training in NV in less than an hour too.

theshim
May 1, 2012

razorrozar posted:

In 3 it was, especially with Anchorage, but in New Vegas you can only get it in 2 places: from Arcade or one of his buddies at the end of his personal quest - which requires you to travel all around the map to even activate it and then again to gather everyone (and some of the people you're gathering won't come with you until you do THEIR quest) - or from the BoS at the end of their questline.

Both of those are pretty time-consuming and don't qualify as "candy" IMO.
Well, if you grab Veronica and then side with Hardin you can knock off the BoS questline and get the training super fast, like I said.

New Vegas is a pretty drat good game.

theshim
May 1, 2012

See, that just reminds me of that one jackass friend who would always play Oddjob in Goldeneye. He would crouch-strafe and it was virtually impossible to hit him. :argh:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Path of Exile is a fun game with a lot of really silly and cool interactions.

Explanation time:

The guy in this video is using a few interesting things together. He's using the cyclone skill (think Diablo 2 Barbarian Whirlwind) with a knockback effect, but also with a unique pair of gloves that reverses knockbacks. With the new content that released a week ago, you can also get an ability that makes all your hits stun an enemy at full health. And he's also got a specific skill that makes it impossible for you to do damage directly but allows you to use extra totems to cast spells or shoot things as a tradeoff. So he can pull enemies, including bosses, and keep them permanently stunned inside his whirlwind since he's doing no damage, and eventually he stacks so many enemies that the game crashes the instance.

tl:dr in Path of Exile you can bring enemies along for a ride and it's silly and fun :kimchi:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Yeah, in order to get him to fight you, you not only have to be snarky and sarcastic to him all the time, you have to actually be that kind of character. If you normally pick other stuff and just go full smug on him, he recognizes that you're just trying to bait him and will still pull out.

But if you get him to fight you? Ohhhh, man.

"I will end you, Thorton."

theshim
May 1, 2012

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I didn't find out the truth about the sketchy Russian dude at the embassy until like my 3rd or 4th play through. That's a whole mission that I had never seen until after beating the game multiple times.
The best part is if you team up with his patsy instead of killing him.

"Your bodyguard is winning gold medal in dying" is one of the most amazing lines in that game.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Tardcore posted:

Go into martial arts and shotguns, end every melee combo by firing the shotgun.

Ravenfood posted:

Or do melee/shotgun and come out with the highest nonlethal takedown count possible by shooting everyone in the chest and then stomping on their balls to finish them off. It's nonlethal, so it's okay!
I did a Shotgun rear end in a top hat Thorton run and both of these are goddamn amazing. It's not quite the Bullet Time of pistols but there's something incredibly satisfying about how effective the shotgun is, even if it's not intended.

theshim
May 1, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

None of them end the game prematurely. The 'bad endings' are endings to those sidequests as opposed to the game.
As opposed to, say, Radiant Historia.

"Well, Stocke, everything was going fine and then you decided to actually get some sleep, so the world ended, great loving job."

theshim
May 1, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Its more that that time line is defunct for all intents and purposes and while not necessarily bad, it wont actually change anything for the better. It's implied that sometimes months can pass before Stocke winds up bailing on it, you just skip all that.
Well, given that the game lays out "if poo poo doesn't change in a big way, everything will turn into desert and your countries will bleed themselves to death fighting over the last scraps of arable land to the bitter end", yes and no.

But that really was one thing I loved about the game. You get to jump around in time and mess with how things play out, but the game is also happy enough to present you with choices all over the place, and a lot of them - even the seemingly innocent ones - have remarkably dire consequences. But the game also puts those in their own short bad endings, and then you return to where you were. It doesn't punish the player for taking them, but still drops a lot of background into how things could go.

Radiant Historia was a really good game, yo.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Slappers only is the one true way, heretic.

theshim
May 1, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

I'd just like to thank this thread for sparking my interest in Shadows of Mordor because I've just finally picked it up, and it's great, and I don't know if I'd have given it a shot if I hadn't heard about it here.
Please post your favorite moments as you play, SoM is a fantastic game to experience :allears:

theshim
May 1, 2012

I was literally about to post about Fiesta. That was some of the most fun, especially when we made a variant mode of it where all the speed was turned way up as well.

theshim
May 1, 2012

ArtIsResistance posted:

I bought some dude's copy of Renegade off SA mart years ago but I never played it and just used the box to store weed :rip:
Good use of the box, bad of the game. I still periodically dust mine off and play it; it's straightforward, goofy, and fun.

theshim
May 1, 2012

This also reminds me of literally the only choice in all of Golden Sun you can choose that makes a difference. After the intro sequence, when everyone's all "you are our only hope, will you go out into the world to save us?" You can simply say no, and the screen fades to sepia and is all "well poo poo's hosed".

theshim
May 1, 2012

I actually freaked out some of my group in voice chat last night by shouting Hanzo's ultimate in Overwatch; apparently I do a good enough version of it that they thought the enemy Hanzo was about to murder them :v:

Cleretic posted:

This sentence alone has now made Matt Mercer my favorite voice actor.
He's pretty great and does a great Troy Baker in addition to a bunch of other stuff. For instance: in Fire Emblem Fates for the 3ds, one of the main characters is a songstress and her singing is a prominent plot point. Said character was voiced by a Broadway musical actress, Rena Strober.

Matthew Mercer did the voice for her son. And in the last bit of the DLC, he sings the song's previously-unheard final verse. And he kills it.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Good sound design is an important thing. Another thing I have to give Overwatch credit for - everything is instantly recognizable and distinct.

theshim
May 1, 2012

AP has a perk for getting through the entire game and remaining neutral with everyone, called "Swiss Diplomacy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

Tales of Maj'Eyal has an achievement entitled "Are you out of your mind?!" for opening the vault door to the Room of Death, a treasure room with seven Overpowered Multi-Hued Wyrms in it (yes, they are actually called Overpowered, and they will gently caress you up).

Killing all seven gets you another: "I cleared the Room of Death and all I got was this lousy achievement!"