Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

There is the Duel Under Falling Water, but that's just one of the regular Straw Hat duels in that questline.
It sorta sounds like a partially-remembered version of the end duel in that quest, where you find their leader in a cave temple that I believe is right *near* a waterfall but not actually behind it. You get a set of armor rather than a special move, but that's the closest thing that came to mind when reading that. I could be forgetting one myself though.

That's what I was thinking of, thanks! Funny thing is I actually have that armor. I guess I completed the quest after a few too many beers because I don't remember doing that duel this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Psychonauts 2: I love seeing all the different Raz sprites when he uses clairvoyance.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Every couple of months I like to run around the Discovery Tours in AC Origins and Odyssey. It's a really nice peaceful thing to do before bed. I'm really excited because Valhalla is finally getting the update in a month or so.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Towards the end of Guardians Of The Galaxy, the characters start clearing out obstacles on their own without Star Lord asking them to. A nice little touch to show how much better they've become as a team.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I'm partial to the murder chicken myself.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Frank Frank posted:

Most of the horror elements have been removed except for that one part. If you haven’t had it ruined for you yet, it would be criminal for me to do so

I think there's a lot of horror in 8, it's just that That One Part feels vastly different than the rest of the game.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Frank Frank posted:

Did any other part of the game genuinely scare you? I can’t think of a place other than “that part”

The forest and village at the start of the game were spooky. The factory had some ominous moments. But yeah I shoulda said the game used a lot of horror imagery. Resident Evil feels a lot like Evil Dead. Neither of them are necessarily trying to be scary, they're trying to be more of a fun house experience.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Yeah. That was the only time I ever had an outward reaction to something scary in a video game. I shouted "oh my God" loud enough to wake my gf.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Just finished The Quarry. Really had fun with it. The decisions you make are represented in the menu as different fake VHS covers of fictional 80's horror films, complete with the Video Nasty sticker. Can't remember if they did the same thing in Until Dawn.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

In the Dead Space remake there's a heartbeat sound whenever you encounter the necromorphs. It's very effective at making me nervous.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I actually died twice on the new asteroid segment because I didn't know what the game wanted me to do.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Veotax posted:

Yeah, the Dead Space remake is likely a reaction to EA having success with a straightforward singleplayer game with no online or mictortransaction bullshit in Fallen Order, and the Resident Evil remakes being a huge success.

I love that the thought simply hadn't occured to them to make a good game. I don't have an MBA or anything, but I know that people will pay a fair price for a good product.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Loving the Dead Space remake. I just learned the force gun will rip the skin right off necromorphs and they'll still attack you with all their muscles exposed.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Barudak posted:

The sound designer for Dead Space remake who thought "hey, lets make the voice calls you get from the other survivors induce instantaneous panic with their ring tones" is a goddamn genius and deserves a pay raise.

They did that with the original. The head guy for the remake said he wanted to keep as much of the sound design from the first one as possible. Smart move, imo.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

In Dead Space, Isaac has two different audios for when he starts running out of air. In a vacuum he'll start gasping, while in poisonous rooms he'll start gagging and coughing.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

credburn posted:

In Everquest we used to make characters whose names were combinations of 1s, ls and |s. So in the chat it would just come out as ||||||||||||||: (real immature homophobic and racist poo poo here) and nobody could report us for being lovely lovely lovely stupid 13 year-olds.

How is that homophobic and racist?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

In RE4 Remake shooting enemies with the Punisher will leave bullet holes in the wall behind them.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Does it still make the coolest noise of all the pistols? That was the secret reason I actually used it in the original, shooting through people was neat but didn't outweigh the more powerful pistols.

My current favorite thing is that Leon can suplex a dude all the way from the beginning of the game, you no longer need to arbitrarily wait for the middle section of the game when other enemy types show up.

I don't remember the sound the original Punisher made, but I don't think this one sounds very unique.

A thing I was worried about is knife durability. But repairing it is cheap and the game throws money at you.

Another thing I'm worried about is the added stealth mechanic. I'm just past the Del Lago fight and I hope there's no mandatory stealth sections.

Overall the game feels great and it changes enough so it feels like I'm playing RE4 for the first time again.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Just beaten the Argent Facility in Doom 2016. I love how deliberate Doom Marine's destructive capabilities are. He's told how to safely deactivate the hell energy things so that they can be rebooted, and he just makes a point of kicking them to pieces, with the lead scientist not cottoning on at first that he's doing this on purpose, because they SHOULDN'T be playing with hell energy. Especially how emphatic the final one is.

"If you destroy this one, Argent energy will no longer exist in this solar system... we will be back to square one"

Doomguy cracks his knuckles, balls them into a fist, and starts punching

The game kind of makes me feel that while being a force of destruction, he's a calm one. The combat putting you into a kind of zen state when you are playing well implies that he's ironically at peace as he loses himself to his gunplay and tears the poo poo out of all his enemies. If the company were truly doing something worthwhile and not loving with hell energy, he'd probably be a lot less spitefully destructive. I kind of feel that he treats the forces of hell as vermin to exterminate, it's not always personal (the time they killed his rabbit notwithstanding). His ACTUAL ire is saved for the idiots who keep bringing them into our dimension.

"You can't just shoot a hole into the surface of Mars"

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

RE4 Remake: You spend much less time babysitting Ashley. She gets separated halfway through the castle and only briefly comes back to you halfway through the labs.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Boo, this is the first change I've read about that I dislike

I never really had a problem with that whole mechanic though

TBF to the game they do change Ashley's mechanics to be less frustrating. She doesn't have a health bar now. She can be incapacitated, which means she'll lay there until you run over and revive her. In place of the old stay put command she'll instead actively evade enemies. It's still not perfect, but it's better IMO.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Leal posted:

No more instantly killing her cause a single shotgun pellet hit her pinky toe?

If Leon shoots her it's still an instant game over. It just means that the ganados won't go out of their way to murder the key to their main goal now.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

In Jedi Survivor, there's a Gonk droid in the saloon bathroom painted to look like a bathroom attendant

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Gonk

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I don't need no politician on Coruscant tellin' me how live my gotdamn life.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Tears Of The Kingdom will read your BOTW save data and lets you ride the horses you registered way back then. Sadly upon further research that's the only thing that carries over, but still a nice feature.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Huh, guess I never got around to registering a horse on my last save because horses are garbage in BotW :c00lbert::supaburn::hellyeah:

True, but at least I can get my nice horse with good speed and stamina as opposed to the garbage starter horses they placed around Hyrule Field.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Bonking a Korok on the head with the rock you found them under remains perfect comedy. I've done hundreds of times and it never gets old.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

In TOTK Link's nose and cheeks get red when you're in cold climates.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I wish I knew how to post pictures on this site, but shrines in TOTK look remarkably like Goatse. My buddy pointed that out and now I can't help but giggle every time the entrance opens up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Just found out they did a surprise Xbox release of Baldur's Gate 3 just like half an hour ago. Which is great because I'm almost finished with Alan Wake 2.