Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
There's a really awesome bit in Mafia III where you crash into the attic of a church, and you hear what sounds like distant hymns or a choir, but as you get closer to the source you find it's just "White Room" by Cream reverberating in the huge church halls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Bogmonster posted:

Mafia III has a lot of cool little moments, and its pretty awesome that all the dlc is now available for free in the definitive edition. Anyway, I want to talk about the culmination of a story mission.

...I guess I just wanted to comment on this since, coincidentally, I just got on the boat when I decided to take a break and gently caress around on the forums.

I didn't read the rest of what you wrote though, since I haven't finished that part.

Mafia III is really good. I love the friendship between Lincoln and the loving fed guy. I want to hate him on principal but he's really charismatic and their friendship feels really genuine.

Just to add Mafia III things that I particularly like -- very few games make me ever feel like running away is actually an option. Most games you are a powerful motherfucker designed to blast through everything, OR there are specific segments where the game shoehorns you into having to run away, find higher ground, etc. It's rare that I think a game organically creates scenarios where you are actually seriously outgunned and need to get the gently caress out of there. I can't think of any mission from any Grand Theft Auto game where running away wasn't specifically part of the mission.

Also the AI is really drat good at flanking. The game does suffer from a lot of cop-spawning, and sometimes it does really weird things like... I was in a sewer, and the cops were after me, and I ran into a dead end. I turned around, and then got shot from behind, because the game spawned a cop behind me, in the dead end. And every time I spun around and was facing the other way, another cop spawned, until I had like a five cop sewer death squad that materialized out of the pipes or something.

credburn has a new favorite as of 04:52 on Jan 19, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Just cause we're on Just Cause.

JC3. The devs spent extra times to model prettier explosions. The game is 6 years old, and it's still got some of the nicest looking explosions out. Just ripping the legs off of a giant sphere tank, and watching it chain detonate a bunch of smaller fuel tanks before exploding in a ridiculous fireball? It's a thing of absolute beauty.

It is asked, can a video game be art? Well, if hooking a guard to an oxy-acetylene tank, shooting it and causing it to drag that screaming fellow through the air and into a helicopter which all explodes filling the region with flaming debris and more explosions isn't somehow art, I don't know what is.

Using just a wingsuit and a grappling hook to kill three hundred Bad Guys and dismantle a nuclear launch site without ever firing a bullet or touching the ground.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Bogmonster posted:

Yeah I think this is what I love about it as well. It deals with the time period in a realistic, frank and interesting way. And I think it's a good argument for how games can deal with themes like racism.

Also it makes a really perfect conceit that the more attentive and dangerous cops are directly corresponds with the socio-economic status of where your crime spree is happening.

"If anyone's out in the area, maybe you could take a statement or something..."

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I played and loved AC1, the Ezio trilogy, and 3... and I really liked 4 as a game but the meta story I felt really annoying and so optional that I did not even really pursue it.

Is there a good YouTube video that can kind of summarize this poo poo so that when I begin the next game in the series (Syndicate? I can't remember) I feel like I'm still Hanging On To The Plot?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If there's a Mafia 4 it would be best of they just made the story linear, because the branching is fairly pointless in 3, and relegated stuff like Rackets to side-content.

I adore Mafia 3 but man it really takes some Very Sudden Departures from the main plot during the course of the game. Like, here I am recovering from being gunned down, scrambling to establish connections and power that will get me closer to the crime boss who's responsible for this -- but along the way I'm going to investigate a cult and stop the Russians from destroying the planet.

Mafia 4 should take place in the future.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Maybe in 70's Boston, and you take down a network of Catholic Priests like the Templars in Assassins Creed.

Nowadays the game is bundled with the DLC, and its not terribly obvious that those missions are DLC, except there's no grinding and they have nothing to do with the mafia.

Worse would be a game whose DLC destroys the balance and you cant turn it off, like Dead Space 2,

Ooohh haha wow this makes a lot more sense when I think of it as DLC. Yeah, the Definitive Edition just comes with it all and it wasn't obvious to me it wasn't part of the main story.

Besides the sudden irrelevance of what I'm murdering, I'm really impressed by the presentation of the DLC. I guess this sort of thing is expected now, and probably the DLC was being worked on immediately after or even concurrent with development of the game itself, but I remember in the old days expansions would be good or bad but they'd never feel consistent. Like, the audio quality would be notably different, some actors might have been replaced, or maybe entirely lacking in cutscenes because there was no budget for it. Anyway, I guess I'm just saying... uh, well done, Mafia 3, again.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I looked up "games based on books" and stupidly clicked on something that was like, "six games you never knew were based on books!" one of which was The Witcher and the rest not actually based on books.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Fallout 1 stands by itself tonally. Fallout 2 runs with it but goes too far. And it felt like every Fallout game that followed it seemed to think that scaling up the silliness was part of the charm, and I never felt it was. Fallout 1 had the right amount of absurdity, and most of it was balking directly at the world itself. For instance, in Fallout 1, you go to these various Vaults that had been destroyed for various reasons. You can find a pamphlet or a radio log or something that praises the Vaults for their amazing technology that was exactly the cause of their downfall Vault 13 had its amazing never-ending water chip tech, Vault 15 I believe had this incredible structural thing that could never be penetrated, and another... I forget what. That's the level of cheeky absurdity I want. Fallout 2, as much as I love that game permanently hosed up the lore when they decided that instead of all the Vaults failing because of hubris and cost cutting and Very Relatable Things, they threw in this plot twist at the end that actually most of the Vaults were designed to fail for social experiments!

I love Fallout 2 as a game, and I think New Vegas is a great way to round out the original trilogy. But Fallout 2 made the lore silly, and 3 had nothing to do with anything (and further made the lore stupid and further contradicted established lore from both 2 and 3), and 4 also had nothing to do with anything, and that kind of makes me annoyed. And 76 is just... well, everyone agrees at least that 76 is just... awkward and maybe best left to die alone and forgotten.

My biggest complaint about Fallout and why every game after Fallout kind of sucks is that the loving villains are always the supermutants, and the supermutants should have all died out after Fallout 2. There isn't any reason the FEV couldn't have been produced elsewhere, but all that did was turn men into super soldiers; it was the Master's melding in Fallout 1 that created the supermutants. The supermutants are sterile and will die out -- that's such a specific goddamn plot point that you can use it to convince the Master to commit suicide! Fallout: Tactics establishes that many of the supermutants tried migrating East but couldn't cross over the mountains or the Endless Waste or whatever it was called in Fallout 1. Many people you talk to in Fallout 2 talk about how the supermutants are so loving hostile because they're dying out. When they were making Fallout 3, they were like, "Hey, what are the bad guys in Fallout 2? SuperMutants? Alright, they're over here, too. All over the world, probably. Why not. And how about Harold, sure, he can be over here, too. And that dog, you know, that dog from the first game that was only in the second game as a joke? Fallout fans will love us for including characters that have no loving reason being in this region!"

Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel was a fine game. I think the only reason people hated it so much was because they wanted another CRPG. For a console hack n slash game it was great, I thought. I beat it with a friend in like two and a half hours? Tonally I thought it was great, but I also only played it the one time, many years ago, drunkenly.

...since I'm ranting about Fallout, I wanted to share something my ex and I and some folks on this forum worked on a few years ago. We adapted Fallout into a kind of 11 episode radio drama, using music and sound effects from the game, and having different people voice the characters and leaving the dialogue unchanged. I hope it's alright I'm including this -- I don't have any ads or a Patreon or anything. I'm not trying to make money.

credburn has a new favorite as of 21:24 on Jan 21, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I read R. A. Salvatore's Icewind Dale Trilogy, and I remember watching my friend play through much of Icewind Dale, and... I've never looked it up, but I thought the plot was pretty much identical to The Crystal Shard's, the first book in that trilogy. I can't seem to find any correlating evidence to support this right now, though... but surely I'm not the only one who has noticed this.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Especially since assassinating people removes their body once you unlock that skill.

What? Like it vanishes?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Byzantine posted:

"Fallout 3 didn't respect the lore" says fan of game that replaced Nuka-Cola with Bawls Energy Drink.

So! Interesting, oh man, I completely forgot about that. I only ever played that game once, when a friend and I just plowed through it. I wasn't aware there was a Bawls Energy Drink at the time. I thought it was some edgy 2005-era writing. When I first saw them at, I don't know, Costco, I bought an entire pallet because I thought it was Fallout branded poo poo. Man, I almost got a Fallout tattoo, once, too. I was a dumb kid grown rear end man.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Alright, this is my favorite Mafia III thing. Since a good chunk of this game is doing the same thing over and over, I decided I could just watch Netflix on another monitor. And Hulu on the third. And I don't know, maybe do some sound editing and Photoshopping -- the point is, I've learned that the more I fill my computer's memory, the longer it takes for enemies to spawn. However, the geography and objectives spawn immediately. More than once I've entered a compound, walked casually up to the safe or box of supplies or whatever, destroyed it/robbed it, walked out, and only then did the entire place fill with bad guys.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

flatluigi posted:

you should say that to the speedrunning scene for that game if they haven't discovered it themselves

Well, I did cherry pick the good outcomes. Most of the time they spawn once I'm in the middle of all of them and they instakill me with shotgun spray from all sides :\

But to say just one more thing in praise/condemnation of Mafia III: there is so much attention to detail in this game that I wish there was / am confused why there wasn't / a kind of auto-drive mode where I can just listen to cool 60s radio and like look around in first person while Lincoln drives himself to the destination. I know there's so much there but really most of my attention is just being drawn to the fuckin minimap.

credburn has a new favorite as of 09:06 on Jan 23, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

exquisite tea posted:

Some PC games like to hide their quit button in the settings section for some reason, which is annoying!

Like Hitman!

I guess it's not that hidden, but I don't instinctively think to go to Options to quit the game. It's alt+F4 always; I'm not playing your meta game, IO Interactive, if that's still who does Hitman I can't remember

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Velocity Raptor posted:

kill in the most efficient way.

This is absolutely the wrong way to play Hitman.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I used to alt+f4 out of Everquest while I was running forward because I liked to start off my next session with a good ol corpse hunt. Sometimes I had to search the next zone over!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Morpheus posted:

I try to minimize collateral in Hitman

Once.

Then once I have the 'Silent Assassin' objective for the level, all bets are off as I try to get other objectives. The level will be a bloodbath as long as I can still drop a chandelier on the target or whatever for those sweet mastery points.

I play Hitman and just sort of quietly finish all the side story beats, quietly and efficiently. But then there comes a point where it's like, oh all my stories are done and there are two targets left. No need to be subtle now!

Edit: gently caress!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Beartaco posted:

Did the PC port ever get updated/modded to fix the aiming and stuff?

It sure loving hadn't when I played it three years ago.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Philippe posted:

Achievements are a dog's breakfast most of the time, but I like them when the game devs put little easter eggs in them. My favorite thing so far is probably very early on in Deathloop, where you have to find a four-digit code for a door. I, a seasoned immersive sim-player, assumed "oh yeah it'll be 0451 because Arkane", put in the code, got denied, and also got an achievement for it.

I don't care about achievements and I almost never think about them, but at the same time I find myself committing suicide in every single game just because so many of them give achievements for doing that.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Captain Hygiene posted:

2017 Prey was great for this, you can run up to the helicopter that's supposed to take you to your first day of work and think, could I jump into that spinning rotor? Yes you can, and the game acknowledges it :unsmith:

Ha! That's right, I did that!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
At least it's not marked* by bird poo poo like in Tomb Raider :mad:

*demarcated?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Sally posted:

pretty sure you can turn that off in the settings.

Jesus that game has enough misleading ledges, gently caress that give me bird poo poo

edit: gently caress!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Considering that anyone who dies creates like an atomic explosion in Death Stranding, one must imagine Sam Porter Bridges non-lethally cripples a great many cargo hooligans.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Son of Rodney posted:

Guess Who also read a "try jumping" hint and believed it? :allears:

That was my first loving Dark Souls experience :mad:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I love this new trend of games letting you just get back into conversations with no drama.

It used to annoy the hell out of me if you suddenly got into a fight when someone was trying to exposition at you. Sorry mate, can't read the subtitles, robots are trying to eat me.

Whenever I'm in an open world game and someone is giving voiced exposition while en route somewhere, I can't help but race to the destination, basically so the exposition can be cut off and I can feel annoyed that the developers didn't factor in my compulsions.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
What a slowpope

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Tales From the Borderlands is an alright game, but I do love a good late title card, and I love title sequences integrated into the media in fun ways. I don't know, it's my favorite part of this game so far. I'm just playing to see the next title sequence.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
PYF little things in Elden Ring

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
IS ELEX 2 OUT

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
You could think of that pipe Mario jumps down in 1-1 as a "house" with a "chimney"

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

muscles like this! posted:

New game Weird West is an isometric real time rpg made by ex-Arkane devs. So of course the very first safe code you find is 0451.

There is not a single thing isometric about Weird West.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

thecluckmeme posted:

This is really coolly pointed out in the video about amazing little details in Fromsoft games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83z4wEglD8g&t=273s

At the beginning of the game before fighting, he fucks up the cool samurai draw a little bit because he's grabbing it from the wrong angle. By the end of the game, Wolf has that poo poo on lock.

That is a really beautiful touch, but the other examples in this video are kind of obvious? I'm not sure how much "attention to detail" there is where walking into a cloud of poison poisons you.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Playing as Shinada in Yakuza 5, in the middle of a fight, I tried to pick up a baseball bat, but Shinada just sadly shook his head and dropped it, before getting suplexed by a guy wielding two long pipes. Even to defend himself, he just can't pick up another bat.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Last Celebration posted:

Shinada’s story/character rules, I don’t think that’s an especially hot take even if his gameplay sucks disjointed rear end.

I started out hating him because he comes out of nowhere when I was kind of expecting the game to start wrapping the gently caress up by now but his story is actually great and the characters that populate his story arc are also really fun.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Kitfox88 posted:

Any non humanoid creature being a dog except actual dogs hasn’t failed to make me chuckle yet

The horse in Tangled was the only time I've ever enjoyed seeing a horse in anything.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Opopanax posted:

I remember a couple racing games for the 360 would let you do that. I guess pre built in streaming there was no real reason not to

I was really grateful that in Burnout Paradise you can turn off the awful EA TRAX DJ or whatever it was called. There were two songs out of the seventeen or whatever that I actually wanted to listen to, and you could choose what songs played so... all engine sounds for me.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Wait, is Alan Wake and Control part of the same world?

I've had Alan Wake for years, and honestly the dumbest reason keeps me from getting anywhere, which is that I'm positive the guy's name is going to be a plot device somewhere (A. Wake) and every time I think about that I get angry. But now I own Control, too, and if there's a connection I'm going to have to play through Alan Wake because I just have to do it that way.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I remember that song from Max Payne 2. Last Goodbye? Lost Goodbye? That sure was a great stupid awesome dumb disappointing incredible game.

I know Max Payne 2 was pretty universally loved. How did everyone feel about Max Payne 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Dewgy posted:

Something I especially liked about it was how they handled Mona. The way MP3 is written, it doesn’t matter if she lived or died at the end of Max Payne 2. No matter the outcome, they make it clear that Max hosed up and she’s not in his life anymore, which honestly would have been the inevitable conclusion even if she lived. They don’t expand on it, so if you see it as she died then it’s just the normal ending of Max Payne 2, but if she lived then it’s a nice touch that he’s obviously dealing with something that never really gets expanded on. The man’s a trainwreck, through and through, and it makes both endings of MP2 completely plausible.

Isn't Mona alive at the end of Max Payne 2? Gosh I haven't played it since it came out, but if I remember right there's a line at the very end of the credits, like an audio blip of a cop saying something like, "Hey we got one more alive in here!"

But -- eee this is a 20 year-old memory now.