Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Canemacar posted:

Not to mention the mirror, complete with a sticky note to bitch at the manager again for not replacing it.

Read the apartment building receptionist's computer during the riots: The warehouse has had the mirror for months and are practically begging her to take it off their hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Byzantine posted:

it lets you suckerpunch people, and not only that, to suckerpunch people as a valid resolution to quests.

If you're only suckerpunching quest-related people you're not doing it right.

TaurusTorus posted:

gently caress that part on a non lethal run :shepicide:

I found out later on that the robot in that level can kill people by exploding, adn that this counts as a kill.

I found this out because I didn't get the nonlethal achievement at the end of a run where I didn't use any ranged weapons.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Pretty much every minute of Far Cry 3 has a neat little thing, however two things stand out to me. The first is the ability to sneak up on a camp full of poachers, break a cage they're transporting a tiger in by shooting it with a silenced weapon, and clearing out the entire camp without anyone knowing you're there.

One very specific thing in particular though, happened when I was driving down a jungle path that went over a blind rise... and immediately dropped my car off a cliff onto some rocks below. The neat part was that there were other crashed cars already there with luggage scattered about, meaning that someone had crafted that part of the map in the knowledge that you'd probably drive off it and crash, and then included the people who did so before you as the punchline.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The way that fire is modeled in Far Cry 3 is amazing. Conflagrations spread and structures are no longer invincible everything-proof hidey-holes. The flamethrower rather than simply being a large cone of forward-facing damage is a tru area-effect weapon, and you can herd enemies with frightening efficiency in the right situation.

Look at this poo poo

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Your Gay Uncle posted:

If I remember correctly you couldn't even read street signs with you int that low. Guess it's time fo fire up Fallout 2.

If you're going to do a dumb run, I always recommend quicksaving and then speaking to as many unsavory characters as possible in New Reno.

Bad things happen at the Golden Globes.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Captain Lavender posted:

I discovered Saint's Row games with 4 during the xmas sale. I've kind of gone nuts on it, gotten some DLC's, and played the 3rd (which I didn't like nearly as much). I need to get 2, I hear there's a good mod to make it run on the PC?

You may need something called SR2 Powertools as well if it runs at an unnaturally fast rate - this allows you to throttle it back to a playable state if you find yourself zooming around in fast-forward.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Two tiny things, both related to Savegames.

For Supreme Commander you could double-click the actual savegame file to boot the game up directly to your savegame. Just point your shortcut to the main save you're going to use and you literally never have to see the main menu or any other front-end bullshit to get into the action.

Quake 4 has the typical bunch of short intro videos on startup - works best on nvidea, here's our publisher logo, etc, but you can mash the quickload button during them and get taken straight to the game at once.

They're not world-beating innovations, or anything, but just nice, tiny touches that make it easy to skip the bullshit and get into actually playing the game. Because no-one gives a gently caress who the publisher is the 50th time they've started up a game.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

:shobon:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The sound design in System Shock 1 it amazing particularly for a game that old, but one neat little touch that I've just seen for the first time is on Deck 5.

Music in the game is your standard mid-90's bleep-bloop thumpin' techno track, which fits with a cyberpunk-y game where you hack terminals and smash robots, but there are 2 or 3 areas on Deck 5 where you see the last stand of other humans against the encroaching robot/mutant infestation, with a half-dozen dead bodies strewn around, and when you go into those areas...

Silence. Up until now the music has been constant (and gets more frantic during battles with multiple enemies around), but then you step into a cargo bay full of corpses and wonder why it seems so eerie, and then it hits you that everything is quiet as a tomb.

It's a really neat little bit of sound direction, and one of the reasons why a game with comparatively primitive graphics is still so immersive.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
So The Surge is a soulslike where Bad poo poo happens in a not-too-distant future causing all of the robots and most of the cybernetically-enhanced humans in a tech company to go crazy. A lot of its storyline is found via exploration and discovering hidden tape recordings left behind by people who have likely perished by the time the protagonist is walking around. There are also a couple of visual easter eggs, including one tucked away in a hidden corner that makes a gruesome reference to a Borderlands 2 quest where you help a malfunctioning robot become 'human' by helping it attach severed limbs to itself.

"me human" :stare:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

GelatinSkeleton posted:

I'm the same way, but only with games. If I'm watching a movie or TV it's fine, but with videogames I need subtitles. I wonder why that is?

I do it because I can read faster than people speak, so I can concentrate on controlling my character while reading the dialogue in short bursts rather than trying to constantly listen and pay attention to what I'm doing.

Also videogames are noisy and it's sometimes hard to hear words over the constant sound of chainsawing alien nazis or whatever I happen to be doing.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The decision of the devs of The Surge to allow you to replace the maudlin loop of music in your ops centre (bonfire equivalent for a soulslike) with any music file you like in a recent patch is nice, although my inability to find something more thematically appropriate than Raymond Scott's Powerhouse hasn't actually made it less monotonous.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Guy Mann posted:

So I finally beat Prey and it's a fantastic game that I pretty much started replaying immediately as soon as I beat it and it made me appreciate one element of the opening even more:

As part of the fake-out of a typical game opening your character has to answer a series of multiple choice questions as part of a personality test. One of the parts is a series of questions that are a twist on the the trolley problem, asking if you would divert a train to save all the passengers if it would kill someone or the track of if you would be willing to push a fat man in the path of a train to stop it from crashing or even leap in front of it yourself. At first I thought this was just them being cheeky and making a reference to an actual popular experiment and contemporary meme but this actually turns out to be the entire game's plot in a microcosm since the game is ultimately about whether you would sacrifice Talos I and all the people on it and all the potential human advancement that could come from your research to make absolutely sure that you weren't wiped out by the Typhoids, and also since the events of the game were effectively just one giant morality test for the player character all along.

Wait until you see the name of the achievement you get for killing your brother.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
One of my favourite parts of Metal Gear Rising is a bit in the game where one of the boss characters tries to break you down mentally by doing the whole "you are a monstrous killer who has murdered thousands of human beings you are no different than I" thing.

At which point your character agrees with him and fully dehumanises himself to face to bloodshed: gaining more potent attacks as he embraces the fact that he's a master at killing people.

The look on the other guys face as he realises what he's unleashed is priceless.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Now that I've completed it, another few things from Metal Gear Rising:

I love how after 3 bossfights of escalating levels of ridiculous bullshit (Fighting a 10-armed femme fatale while being swarmed by robots, killing a meme-obsessed nihilistic edgelord who throws tanks at you, and dispatching a warmongering sadist armed with a set of jumbo-sized shears who beats you with 30 foot lengths of piping while helicopters circle overhead and machinegun you), you're then faced with Jetstream Sam. Sam is arguably the only one of the antagonists who doesn't take almost cartoonish levels of glee in killing civilians and popping orphan kids' heads open to use their brains in combat machines, and who has doubts about what they're doing. So the fight between you two is something like a cross between a Samurai film and a duel in an old Western (complete with a stray tumbleweed): no gimmicks, no minor enemies intervening, just two dudes with swords going at each other, and it makes the fight that much cooler as a result.

The Armstrong fight at the end has a bunch.

There's the moment that you realize that you're fighting a Nanomachine-fuelled Donald Rumsfeld.

There's the bit where he kicks a field goal with you, complete with an audio sting of a cheering sports crowd.

Also, through the entire game there have been 3 or 4 instances where Raiden has had a very near miss with an enemy sword, or chainsaw, or helicopter blade coming close to decapitating him, and in each instance sending out a shower of sparks as it glances off his (cybernetic) chin. In the Armstrong fight there's a bit where he takes a punch at you causing another near miss, and if you look closely you can see that the only reason he's not managed to scrape you like in all of the previous instances is that Raiden wiggles his jaw backwards as he ducks under the punch. The happy little smile he gives afterwards is amazing. Watch the first 45 seconds of this to see what I'm talking about.

MGR is a video game that is completely unashamed of being a video game and it willingly leans in to how ridiculous it is, and it is the better for it.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
It's such an amazing tiny detail.

It took me 3 playthroughs to notice it, but when I did I laughed so hard I made honking noises.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

haveblue posted:

Is that why one of the bosses in God of War 2 is literally an enormous pile of tits?

I've never played these games, so which boss is this a reference to? :gonk:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

RyokoTK posted:

You should actually play DDLC.

Well, I took your advice...

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

I'm guessing that the creator has some pretty personal experience with depression.
Sayori's story, and especially the poem about bottles of happiness, really hit home for me. Like brutally hard. My ex suffers from incredibly intense depression and so much of what I was reading there was absolutely in line with my experiences with her. And all of the signs were there in relation to Sayori, but at then end of the day you're powerless to help.

It's probably because there's a personal aspect to it, but that first half of the game made me think, and made me uncomfortable, and I'm glad that I played it.

Seriously: to anyone who hasn't played it or whatever, it'll take you a couple of hours at most, but give it a playthrough. Read the dialogue, even though 95% of it is anime visual novel crap, because a bunch of it really contextualises what happens when poo poo Gets Real.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Somfin posted:

Yeah, the game's relying on you kinda half-reading the dialogue in order to slip dire foreshadowing straight past you.

In a way I kinda wish that the game didn't veer off into meta 4th-wall breaking reality bending territory, because it could almost function just as well as a straight story about depression and how it goes unnoticed. Like, a game that disguises itself as this cookie-cutter dumb anime dating/relationships simulator, only there are all of these signs that there are things going on under the surface, would be fascinating. Like, if you played it straight like a dating sim it would keep the facade up until one (or more) of the characters suicided, had a breakdown, or some other tragic consequence, but if you paid attention to what was going on you could actually help them rather than just obliviously macking on them.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

RyokoTK posted:

At first I felt the same way, because the middle third of the game is so intense that the back third felt a little lame in comparison, since I thought it was just trying to be weird for the sake of itself.

But a couple days later I've concluded that Monika is a pretty interesting antagonist and the time you spend with her in the back third is actually really cool, it's just more of a... like, science-fiction bent rather than grim psych horror.

I think you can also read it the way Somfin does, like a deconstruction of the genre, and that's interesting too. But my point is that although I did agree with you at first, I think it really does improve the overall story, since it's not a story about mental illness, it's a story about a vile manipulative self-aware anime girl and how she's really the one you should be dating, and isn't that what you're playing an anime dating sim for? Plus I think Somfin above is reading depression the right way --
a story about depression probably can't end in a satisfying way, since you either help Sayori "beat" it (which is not really how it works); or you don't and she's still depressed at the end, which just makes for a dissatisfying conclusion to a story.
A story about another character antagonizing you can go in a lot of ways.

Honestly, you're probably right from a more objective standpoint: I think that I'm probably focussed more on the scene in the bedroom where she tells you about her depression and says things that honestly could have come straight out of the mouth of someone I cared about, as well as the poem about the bottles (same deal), because of its relevance to my own life, and so that's why that particular aspect of the game resonates with me so much. I'm definitely not saying that the 'twist' of NG+ is bad, far from it; it's an effectively used narrative device, and the file fuckery is amazing.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

RyokoTK posted:

I took it that Monika was deliberately worsening her existing depression, probably just by talking to her;

Monika very definitely tells her that she should just kill herself, it's hinted at very broadly in the dialogue and also in the last pre-suicide poem: "Get out of my head before I listen to everything she said to me."

RyokoTK posted:

That scene is the only realistic one in the game, and yeah it really struck a chord with me too. Because you can't see it coming and there isn't anything you can do. The stuff with Natsuki and Yuri is so much more exaggerated that it's very unreal, but I'm sure that's intentional in how the game's story escalates so rapidly.

I dunno: I could see her being depressed coming, as there was sufficient foreshadowing in the words you use to make poems suited to her, the time when she's alone at her desk and not speaking with you and also a lot of the content of her poetry. "If it wasn't for you, I could sleep forever." in the first one was a major red flag, and the 'bottles' poem (2nd one down, seriously read this one again) speak to her feelings towards you and the facade she puts up for others quite directly.

e. or do you mean that you can't see it coming in real life when someone you know has been maintaining a facade of normalcy?

Breetai has a new favorite as of 15:03 on Oct 29, 2017

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Jinxed 10 luck runs in fallout sync perfectly with an unarmed character. Bonus points for int 3.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Trog am punch good

Trog am punch best. :colbert:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Remember Me is probably a good candidate for this thread because it was a decent-yet-almost-great game that was essentially a whole that was somehow less than the sum of its parts. But while underwhelming as a total package the future aesthetic was amazing, the music was great, and it's the most definitely French media I've consumed since The Fifth Element.

I also appreciate the fact that in this game about beating the absolute poo poo out of various mutants and dystopian fascists, your character's plan to save the day was to stop mummy and daddy from fighting. :shobon:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Agents are GO! posted:

I picked up Wolfenstein The New Order on sale (along with The Old Blood) and one thing I like: It brings back the old mocking Exit Game confirmation messages.

I picked up new order as well, and my favourite thing in the game is that after you take a break from shooting Nazis in the face by spending some time chainsawing a Nazi to death, you then get to go back to shooting Nazis in the loving face.

It's nice to see a game with such a clear moral imperative.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Another thing about Wolfenstein is that it handles massive tonal shift phenomenally well. One minute I'm in a Nazi concentration camp with prisoners being traumatized by their treatment and marveling at the horrors of it all, and then 10 minutes later I'm driving a totally bitchin' 'Mech suit around firing missiles at other 'Mech suits, and the transition was seamless.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Guy Mann posted:

Him being a bigot and physically abusive was expected but the final confrontation with him where all he does is talk about how terrible and broken you are while rationalizing and deflecting his own failures and poor choices as being your fault was textbook abuser behavior. Either somebody at Machinegames was drawing on personal experience or they really did their homework.

Calaveron posted:

I mean if it's textbook behavior they probably just got it from a textbook

I dunno, it's not like a gaming nerd/computer toucher wouldn't have at least some personal experience with being a disappointment to their father.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Samuringa posted:

Prey: The game takes place in a space station that has been researching the Typhoon aliens, which have a subset called "Mimics" that can effectively transform into any object and surprise attack the player. For the first hours of the game, you usually enter a room, hear a noise and now you have to be very careful around those mugs or chairs or boxes.

My favorite thing(of many, it's a great game) is when you're investigating the labs where the scientists were studying the aliens and you enter one where every single object has a stick note on it, with "Not a mimic!" written.

Except one.

I wish that instead of that, there was one object with two sticky notes on it and the extra sticky note was a mimic.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Rough Lobster posted:

I remember playing around in that. I also had good times with goons, horsing around in that Ducktales MMO.

I can't believe they shut the servers down when they did, I was about two prestige levels away from a viable build to be able to solo loving Flintheart Glomgold.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Wolfenstein II has so many neat little touches in it, but there's one bit near the end of the Venus stage in particular. It sounds like the ambient music has a spooky synthesizer line going through it that's very reminiscent of 60's B-movies, and quite apropos considering the surroundings, but if you stealth kill your way around a bit you can enter someone's personal quarters, where you see that it's actually a commander playing the Theremin, and the synth line stops when you kill him.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Play Factorio. It's not gone Gold yet, but is basically feature-complete and worth double what they're charging.

I just died in The Surge, and lost almost 20 minutes of progress because I got murdered a few steps away from being able to open up a new path shortcut, and I'm actually not mad about it. It's balls hard, but every time you die in it it's because you didn't do something or you didn't respect the opponent you were facing or you messed up on the execution. I got greedy and thought I could save a healing consumable and died to a lovely trash mob because I wasn't paying attention. It's pretty much the epitome of tough but fair, and the risk/reward system with regards to Tech Scrap (basically: you build XP at a higher rate the more enemies you kill without returning to a safe area/replenishing healing items) is wonderfully balanced.

It's also a game where when you get good you get good, and enemies that used to knock you around effortlessly become loot pinatas... but they can still kill you in only a few hits, so you're never completely disengaged even when going through early areas.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

exquisite tea posted:

A couple professional martial artists try to recreate some of the special moves from Mortal Kombat 11. The fun little detail here is that Johnny Cage's moves are flashy and impractical, whereas Liu Kang's are more realistic and have some actual real-life analogues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw22PzFsD7w

Was there some kind of bill signed that forces all youtubers to be maximally performativly wacky? Because the crap surrounding the (admittedly impressive) content is really painful to wade through.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Dr Christmas posted:

Disco Elysium: Deciding to go pantless, most likely in search of wacky reactions, doesn’t change anything. They did not, in fact, write pantless dialogue for any character, except a line when you meet your no-nonsense partner. The game says, if he hasn’t reacted, no one will.

It is very likely literally nothing they haven't seen before.

You were REALLY drunk.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

SubNat posted:

The new launcher for Stellaris has a 'resume' button, where it'll boot up the game and load you straight into your most recent savegame automatically.
Pretty nice for a game that has a fairly significant startup+load time.

I guess they developed it for CK3 then backported it to Stellaris as well.

You can double click the actual save game files for supreme commander forged alliance in windows explorer, and it will open the game and load the save game all in one go.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

CzarChasm posted:

Just picked it up this morning and can't wait to get started.

Have been playing through SOR: Remake for the past few weeks to get in the groove. I really hope the guy/team that did that (bomber games) managed to be part of Lizard Cube

I really want to like everything about SOR remake except for the fact that every single enemy seems to enjoy nothing more than retreating offscreen where I can't fight them.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Streets of rage 4 has an achievement that mocks you for eating an apple off of the ground in an alleyway, and I really appreciate it.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
It's a really little thing but when you load up Just Cause 4 it basically loads your most recent savegame into the bargain, meaning that when you click the Continue Game button on the main menu (which shows a view of the island you're on as its background) the menu disappears, the camera instantly pans down revealing your character, and bam: you're instantly in control. It's like someone amongst the designers finally realised that when you open the game .exe for this kind of open world sandbox you're going to continue on from your last session 99 times out of 100, so why not just make that part of every launch?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Just played the ashtray maze in Control for the first time, and it was amazing. I'll not spoil it, but you go into it expecting the tedium of a 3rd person navigation puzzle, and what you get is pure :black101: .

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I would like to rescind my previous comment about my favourite moment in Control, because "Dyna-mite" is the moment where games became Art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Captain Hygiene posted:

Haha I forgot about that. It's so good, the best thing about using real live people in limited parts of the game.

It got me genuinely pumped up for what I'm guessing is your recovery from being mind controlled and the eventual climax of the game.

Pretend I used the word ludonarrative in context here somehow.