Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Motto posted:

Didn't the first HP book as a whole have some Americanization of British English that was dropped afterwards?

The first couple did and I think they slowly backed off on it as they got further in, but yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Philosopher -> Sorcerer was a dumb change, but "asscaves" is gold and I'll not hear a word against it.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

The first couple did and I think they slowly backed off on it as they got further in, but yeah.

I'll always remember the fact that Dudley Dursley destroys a playstation in one of the books by throwing it out a window.

Harry mentions this in one of the letters he writes and I find it funny that wizards know what a playstation is. Like maybe Hagrid going "aw gently caress no he wrecked a playstation? Final Fantasy 7 is my poo poo!"

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

A Playstation that shouldn't have existed considering the time table of the series.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Silver Falcon posted:

I will never understand this. Do people get all weird when translators change stuff from, say, French or German? It just seems to be a Japanese > English thing.

Japanese is just a language, people.

If the Awakening folks are doing Xenoblade X then I am so loving sold. Awakening's localization was amazing.

Yes people get unreasonably angry about every single translation that has ever existed. People have died because they translated bits of the Bible in a way others didn't want them to.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Ometeotl posted:

A Playstation that shouldn't have existed considering the time table of the series.

Why? It takes place in Modern times, even the movie point this out.

I mean granted it's a fantasy series so it has fictional elements like showing a large crowd of people who are not glued to their iphones.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Sakurazuka posted:

Yes people get unreasonably angry about every single translation that has ever existed. People have died because they translated bits of the Bible in a way others didn't want them to.

Did Jesus also talk about the asscaves?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Did Jesus also talk about the asscaves?

He was resurrected in one

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
The guys who translated this are the 3-4 play dudes right? I like them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

Why? It takes place in Modern times, even the movie point this out.

I mean granted it's a fantasy series so it has fictional elements like showing a large crowd of people who are not glued to their iphones.

It takes place in the 1990s and the year that particlar book is set is prior to the release of the Playstation.

I forget how I know this but I do.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

All I know is it's by the same guys who came up with DOOMP in Revengeance so I trust them with asscaves in this one.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/PlayStation

:eng101:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

God bless you obscure fan wiki editors.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Shine on crazy thread.

Or wait, no. I am going to close this one within a week and start a new one since the game is coming out real soon and it will be nice to not have pages of useless crap cluttering it up.

I haven't started a new OP but will do so throughout the week. If there's anything you feel I should add, post it and I'll get around to putting it in if its relevant.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Some general class summaries would be nice, and maybe some info on the different branches you can join/what boons they give you. Probably also include when you can get your Giant Robot.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
an anime trigger warning.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Rexroom posted:

Didn't they change it because they were afraid Americans would see "Philosopher" on the title and think it was too terrifying for children?

Nah, they thought Philosopher would be too boring to children.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Black Stones posted:

Shine on crazy thread.

Or wait, no. I am going to close this one within a week and start a new one since the game is coming out real soon and it will be nice to not have pages of useless crap cluttering it up.

I haven't started a new OP but will do so throughout the week. If there's anything you feel I should add, post it and I'll get around to putting it in if its relevant.

Motto posted:

Well, speaking of game mechanics, somebody on neogaf's putting together a spreadsheet of quests/skills/arts/etc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1g0YR4M8RAHiRhCbAvV4tjXXHLEhRMrARzZMYAUGmyZ4/edit#gid=0

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Is there anything more to combat I am missing? I watched some chunks of the GameXplain 3 hour video, and the combat looks dreadfully dull.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

So does Xenoblade's until you're actually in control, though.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
forbid use of the word asscave, instead mandating the use of its proper translation fleshcave

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Tae posted:

Weabs were super pissed when Olivia from Fire Emblem Awakening was too assertive compared to her japanese version.

If you know who Olivia is, that is absurd to think about.

Isn't she the really meek one? Is...that the point?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I'm seriously considering getting XCX, but I'm not sure if I should get the physical or digital version. I know that at least the digital has the data packs included with the download, but PAL disc owners can download them in advance by the end of the month.

Ah, decisions, decisions.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So something storyline related got spoiled for me like

a year ago? Whenever the game first came out anyway and I'm kinda curious if it's the only major twist in the game as I haven't really been able to forget about it for some reason. Someone who's beaten the JP version can you tell me how super major it is? (Seriously it sounds like a big story beat don't mouse over just in case) I heard all humans are extinct and we're all dumb robots or something

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

a year ago? Whenever the game first came out anyway and I'm kinda curious if it's the only major twist in the game as I haven't really been able to forget about it for some reason. Someone who's beaten the JP version can you tell me how super major it is? (Seriously it sounds like a big story beat don't mouse over just in case) I heard all humans are extinct and we're all dumb robots or something

It's from pretty early in the game

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Rexroom posted:

I'm seriously considering getting XCX, but I'm not sure if I should get the physical or digital version. I know that at least the digital has the data packs included with the download, but PAL disc owners can download them in advance by the end of the month.

Ah, decisions, decisions.

Physical with DLC should have a smaller filesize overall than the digital version, if storage space is an issue for you

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Physical with DLC should have a smaller filesize overall than the digital version, if storage space is an issue for you

The Wii U isn't exactly swimming with (good) games so that's not an issue. Especially when I have a half tera hard drive attached to it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Ugh, I need to stop automatically mousing over spoilers. At least the weird-rear end irises on everyone make sense now.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

lmao they're literally realdolls, that explains everything

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

If this is true I'm mad I scrolled over it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You shouldn't be it's a pretty early reveal

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 27, 2015

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I've been pretty diligent on watching streams and everything, and somehow I haven't seen or heard of anything like that. That's just as bad as the Fiora spoiler.

Also I don't like it, the plot point.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean it's a bad plot point, tbh

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea it's a dumb thing but it's not a big dramatic end of game thing, you find it early on which at the very least is a better option than keeping it as some big "BUT REALLY" twist as if it's a huge climax moment. At least that way it's handled early and it's just 'ok, cool, whatever let's move on then'.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I am totally lost watching the GiantBomb quick look
http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-xenoblade-chronicles-x/2300-10887/

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Yeah as someone looking forward to this game but has stayed relatively in the dark about it, holy poo poo the sheer density of mechanics in this game sent me reeling.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

How much space does the full install of XBCX take anyway? It's around 24, right?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

How much space does the full install of XBCX take anyway? It's around 24, right?

The Japanese version is 22.7 GB. I assume you don't need the 10gb speed back for the digital version.

I'll have to tear all my games off the WiiU for this.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Hyped as gently caress for this game but probably won't get a chance to play it until after Christmas. :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I'm super loving on the fence for this game!

Like I'm worried it's gonna play like a really dull and grindy MMO.

• Locked thread