Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Welcome to the hype thread for the Wii-U sequel to what was arguably the Wii’s best RPG and considered one the best JRPG’s in a long time!

The thread for Xenoblade Chronicles can be found here – http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3476727

Any talk about the original game is fine here, but be forewarned that spoilers of Xenoblade Chronicles might accidentally pop up!

BASIC QUESTIONS/CONCERNS

Is this a direct sequel to Xenoblade? Will I need to play it in order for the game to make sense?

That’s unclear at the moment, but the story outline doesn’t indicate that it’s any kind of direct sequel and there’s a good possibility that it will only have the vaguest of callback’s to it. See the following picture –
(note the hair clip: it's the Monado)

I can’t find Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii without spending pretty much full retail price, if not more!

Yeah. Good luck finding it for less. It was a Gamestop exclusive and they were scummy as poo poo with selling new copies “used” to jack up the price as a rarity. XC will probably never be a cheap 20$ game. So if you really want to play it, break down and just buy a copy.

When is the release date?

2015. That’s more than likely a Japanese view too, so if we’re very lucky we might get it that year too. Otherwise it could very well be 2016 for us. No actual day announced yet. So still plenty of time to be delayed!

Will it keep the British voice acting?

We can only hope. I’m gonna say probably not, and we will have to live with the sad cold fact that the Nopon will probably not sound cool at all and that nothing can live up to Reyn time.

THE GAME: WHAT WE KNOW

E3 2014 Story tailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg2PTVi7fl8

HEY. THIS LOOKS REALLY ANIME! WHAT THE gently caress?

Yeah, Takahashi (the director) went back and got the character artist who did the art for the first Xenosaga game and I guess this is what the character designs look like, and it’s very anime based. It’s definitely not the same style as Xenoblade Chronicles, but we can all hold out hope that this is really going to be one of the games slight flaws, and not part of a terrible whole. Also, the story seems way more crazy as well, but really, Xenoblade Chronicles started off pretty decent and unique and devolved into crazy town at the end, so really it’s gonna just be more of the same thing. I’m positive we won’t hit Xenosaga levels of hour long cutscenes based around eating curry, but only time will tell.

Also, stop using anime as a pejorative where it means a story is bad/crazy/dumb because anime is a medium and not a single thing. Please watch Ping Pong and realize the error of your ways.

So what DO we know about the story?

Aliens wage a war above earth. Aliens are dicks and don’t care if earth gets blown up while they fight. Humans run away because that’s what we do best! USA, USA! Then Neo Los Angeles (yes, really) crash lands on an alien planet and the game happens. Your character is rescued from his/her escape pod and then you will start to explore/subjugate the new world because that’s what humans also do best!

Wait. his/her?

Yes! Your character is now player created like a lot of Western RPG’s, it is too soon to tell if this will really hurt the game at all, but this confirms that we won’t have a protagonist like Shulk who was actually really decent, and bucked a lot of JRPG tropes (let's just go kill and get revenge on people! Saving things is a byproduct of that goal!). You get to select whether you’re male or female and there’s a bunch of customization. Go have fun. It can also be neither confirmed nor denied if you can have space sex with sexy blue aliens. Mass Effect still may remain your number #1 anime dating sim.

Is there Giant Robots in this game?

IS THERE EVER! That pretty much skyrockets this game into probably being best RPG of the current generation because Giant Robots are awesome. I reserve the right to detract that statement upon release of game.

THE BATTLE SYSTEM/GAMEPLAY: WHAT WE KNOW

Here’s a big 40 minute basic gameplay overview! Have fun! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fblid23KEho

Here's a second stream where they go through some things again. There's a little repeat of early stuff. (starts at 3:55:00 mark) http://www.twitch.tv/nintendo/b/537795858

If you don’t want to watch that though. Here’s the basic points.

- Game plays similar to Xenoblade, but now you have a class based system that determines arts that you use, this is just a replacement of the skill tree from Xenoblade Chronicles pretty much. Guns are now also a thing
- Armour/Weapon changes still show up on characters. Boob windows will probably still be a thing. That’s just how these things work. Can men still wear swimsuits and be beefy hunks? STAY TUNED
- Giant Robots now in and can fight big poo poo. No clue on how these work. Here’s a small thing with them in gameplay though! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zuVLzB1A2Q
- Fall damage no longer a thing, POSSIBLY, it could have just been the build. It's a wait and see thing. Jump off ledges and break no bones. You can no longer jump off a giant Bionis rear end though. That’s a shame.
- Unsure if you only control one character. Because you create a character, it may be the case. Unfortunate if true but this one is still unconfirmed, so let’s hope not.
- If you can see it, you can probably get there. Just like Xenoblade Chronicles, but in HD and possibly even more true now!

The only character that is confirmed to be a part of story and will be in your party is Elma. I’m sure as we hit closer to release date. More character information will pop up.
(Elma)

MUSIC

Forgot to write about this. Last time the music for the game was done by ACE+ (primarily with Yoko Shimomura) and had a track done by Yasunori Mitsuda. This time around Hiroyuki Sawano is going to be handling the music this time around. From what I can see this will be his first video game work, where he has primarily done music for anime works such as Gundam Unicorn, Attack on Titan and Kill La Kill. Looking at the last two and seeing he has also contributed to the Sengoku Basara music, he can definitely do bombastic music well enough, I'll reserve judgement if there's going to be really great low key tracks like Valak Mountain at night. (Someone can feel free to post of his music that is like that if they want)

(Anything that has been important or forgotten I will edit in as need be!)

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Quest For Glory II posted:

I really, really hope this is not Xenosaga 2 2015 Edition. The last time I played Xenosaga 2 it made me stop playing jRPGs for years, it was that bad.

I wanna get back into Xenoblade but my Xenoblade save was not eligible for transfer to Wii U for some reason so I'd have to go back to the old Wii. :/

Xenosaga 2 was really, really bad. I think that they all learned their lesson from it though, and will never make something that bad again. Xenosaga 3 was actually really good, and it's a shame they only managed to get things right in the third game. If it had been like that since the beginning I think the series would have done much better.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Paper Lion posted:

Because I didn't pay for it, and because judging something before you finish it is bullshit. I finished it. It's the worst RPG in years.

Just play Bravely Default.

Hey, it's alright to hate Xenoblade. It's not everybody's thing and that's cool. However, calling it bog standard and then recommending a game that is pretty much Square-Enix doing Final Fantasy V but not calling it Final Fantasy is pretty loving stupid if you want people to play something unique and fresh.

People should play Brave Default though. It is a good game, but please don't herald it in the dumbest way possible.

Clever Spambot posted:

Have we gotten confirmation one way or another if they are going to remove all of the boring poo poo (ex. loving huge open areas with nothing in them filled with enemys who have no chance of ever killing you but taking way to long to kill anyway, that stupid gem character progression thing, mmo quality get x of y quests) in this game? I'd actually be pretty excited for this if they did despite hating the first game.

Watch the video. Because huge open environments is back! Gem progression thing? Unclear. MMO get X of Y? Probably, the 40 minute video noted that there was quest collectible items that they were picking up. So yeah, probably still a thing. To what extent? Unknown.

jonjonaug posted:

They did mention during the stream that they weren't sure if fall damage was no longer a thing entirely or if it was just unimplemented on that build, and the class system really didn't look much different from how the skill tree worked in Xenoblade to begin with, except now there's more branching so you can unlock desired skills faster without having to unlock half the tree in-between.

Must have missed that about fall damage when I watched it. Noted. Thanks!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

pichupal posted:

Nintendo finally has the streams back up on Twitch archived. X is around the 3:55 mark (from the Day 3 stream)

http://www.twitch.tv/nintendo/b/537795858

Thanks. I'll post this in the OP.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Monolith Soft being bought by Nintendo was the best thing to happen to them. Takahashi gets the budget and time to actually make the games up to snuff. It may take forever for their games to come out, but they're really great. (Well, a bunch of the DS offerings like DBZ and Super Robot Taisen were just okay.)

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

planetarial posted:

Some more tidbits from the Edge interview

- The game's development began with laying the groundwork of HD development "so as to not overreach ourselves and cause problems."

- The main character doesn't have a fixed personality, and acts as an avatar for the player. It was felt this was more appropriate to the game's system.

- To complete the quote “Vehicles are called Dolls. They are 5 Times larger than a person. So to get the same feel as Xenoblade Chronicles, the map would need to be 5 times bigger. The game world in X is in fact even bigger than that, but we've made sure to design Xenoblade Chronicles X so that players can still feel comfortable navigating, despite its vast size.”

- Objectives and relevant people to quests will now all be displayed on the map, among other features to facilitate questing.

- The gamepad will act "as a navigation device, in the same way that a lot of tablet computers are." Important aspects of the game's system and your objectives are on the gamepad.

Thank god they're fixing the quest system, one of the biggest issues I had with Xenoblade from an otherwise fantastic game.

I cannot wait for this game. If it comes out during the summer, I am going to take some well deserved vacation to sink 160 hours into it like I did the first game.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
The soundtrack won't be as good as Xenoblade IMO (I would love to be wrong) and that's because while Sawano is good, the only thing he seems to know how to do good is bombastic music. honestly it gets pretty samey (people already brought KLK and this together without knowing, so I'd say that's evidence enough).

The problem is that I've never heard an amazing low key track from him while some of the best poo poo in Xenoblade was incredibly chill music like Valak mountain. So yeah, expect great music, it's just not going to be Xenoblade great.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Sakurazuka posted:

Not true, he does good low key stuff too, it just gets lost behind the bombast.

https://soundcloud.com/heyitsflamenco/troyard

https://soundcloud.com/heyitsflamenco/ver

I won't deny those are good, but I like them a lot less than the Xenoblade stuff like Satorl Marsh at night or Valak Mountain at night. I don't know how to properly say it because music is incredibly subjective, but with those two Sawano pieces, there's some really good parts I like, like the guitar in the second track but most of it is stuff that I almost tuned out while just listening to it. Maybe there's a good chance that Sawano will mimic how Xenoblade did it's low key music and have some great stuff there, but for right now, my money would be on Xenoblade having the better soundtrack.

That said though, the Xenoblade X soundtrack will still probably be amazing than most, it's just a case of degrees of amazing really.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Game looks dope as poo poo and will be better than FFXV in every way. Gauntlet thrown!

Ioved the shot of them running and that giant worm type monster. Also when he jumped off the mountain because that's one of the first things I did in Xenoblade. "Can I jump off the Bionis?" Yes, yes you certainly can!

I'll update the OP later as I'm phone postin.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

MechaCrash posted:

"Working on the Gundam" series sounds pretty good until you check which Gundam series. "Worked on Destiny" is not really a ringing endorsement, I'm afraid.

Noooooooooo.

I'm not a huge Gundam fan, but I watched Seed and that was pretty bad and I heard Destiny was worse.

I'm gonna update OP with info soon.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Louisgod posted:

I'm playing FF13-2 right now and I enjoy the battle system but jesus christ the story is a giant curly turd, the characters and their dialogue are embarrassing and it all literally makes me fall asleep.

As bad as the story will probably be in Xenoblade X, there is no way it can beat the turd story that the XIII games had

Astro Nut posted:

Actually decided to go and find out Hyodo's further writing credits, and its... a mixed bag for sure.

Basically, he's got some experience with the general genre Xenoblade Chronicles X is in - mecha, post-apocalyptic, sci-fi, etc. But he's also got a lot of stuff that I wouldn't exactly call the gold standard of writing.

All of those credits are poo poo except for Gun X Sword and Wagnaria and he's only credited as a media writer for Gun X Sword so I don't think he had anything to do with it.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Louisgod posted:

They are. I don't think they got into it too deeply in the Treehouse demo but you can customize your character. Not sure about gender but everything else seemed to be adjustable.

Yes, they even showed it for a moment at the E3 event that your main character can be female or male.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Anime Curator posted:

I just ordered a Xenoblade Chronicles poster online. I can’t wait to get it! The only question that remains is -- where do I put said poster. I was thinking of hanging it above my PC gaming rig and I already took the measurements and it's going to be a perfect fit. BUT, I also want to hang it above my big ol' 42' TV so whenever I am watching TV or console gaming I have that sweet rear end Monado gazing back at me. Only problem is it's not that big a poster but it still looks badass and I am really considering the TV option. In anticipation for Xenoblade Chronicles X I am replaying the first one, so I guess I can always place above the TV and move it later. Lets me get into the "feel" of the game too. Also any clues when the Miiverse will open?

Put it wherever you see the poster the most. There you go. Also seconding a link to the poster.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Doc V posted:

-Takahashi's 300 hour playthrough was not a 100% run.

YES

YES

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

I am ready.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Calaveron posted:

So it's already been dubbed?

I hope so. The sooner it comes out here the better. If they've been working on the localization right alongside the game being made it won't be too long before it comes out here then.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Game is going to own. I loved Xenoblade and it looks like Takahashi pretty much went "Let's do Xenoblade again but make the combat even more action based" and it's going to be cool as hell.

Shame about no ACE+ soundtrack, but eh, can't win em all. I just hope Sawano delivers something good.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
It's the artist. The artist does overly anime poo poo designs that they try to replicate realistically and it looks like poo poo. It's like, the one huge negative the game has. So far.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Junkie Disease posted:

http://gamingbolt.com/rumor-xenoblade-chronicles-x-launching-in-north-america-on-may-31
yeah its a rumor. But if its already shipping in japan with dual audio...

Ah yes. Gamingbolt. The most trusted website.

I'm going to wait for an official word because speaking as someone who works for an electronics retailers. They just make poo poo up when they don't know.

Hey cool, a Sawano track that's not bombastic. It's alright. I could have used less vocals. It's still good though.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

vaguely posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles X - It's Xenoblade Chronicles, but with GIANT BOOBS

I'm okay with this.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Sakurazuka posted:

At the outside five years, assuming helping out on Skyward Sword and Project X-Zone didn't tie up too much of their resources. Like three if they only work on one project at a time.

They definitely have some different teams out there. Their DS/3DS stuff usually keeps getting pumped out while they make Wii/Wii U stuff. Those handheld teams probably aren't all that big though and I doubt they focus too hard on it because it's usually nowhere near the level of their console stuff. Except Soma Bringer, but that was Takahasi.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

asymmetrical posted:

Remind me again why they got rid of the original Xenoblade style?

Takahasi is probably wanted to throw work to someone he worked with before. I'm assuming they're probably friends or something.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Doc V posted:

It's from the official site, but if you'd prefer that I stop translating poo poo for this thread, I can do that.

I know earlier on you mentioned a short story and figured you were translating that. By all means keep posting that kind of stuff.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Dammit. Sawano, you just had to put lyrics in that, didn't you.

Music not as good as Xenoblade confirmed.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Hm, I am going to disagree (with goon who has doubts about quality). The character design and music are definitely a step back, but those are extremely subjective things. Takahashi has worked with the character designer before and while I'm not huge on Sawano myself, his name is loving huge right now after working on stuff like Kill la Kill and Attack on Titan. They were definitely thinking of ways to get themselves more exposure. None of this is also gameplay related.

After seeing videos of the game in play and seeing how they seem to have a good grasp of what worked and what didn't in Xenoblade (having a dedicated healer was a poo poo idea because people used her as a crutch and it slowed down combat) they went into Xenoblade not only to impove upon what they did but make thing really different as well.

In short. Game will be great, don't worry so much.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

snergle posted:

Most of the xenosaga games sucked and they are trying to make a cult classic that will never live up to the hype more like that poo poo series. I can see why people are down on the game.

edit mixed up saga and gears I feel bad.

Okay, but get this. The same people who made Xenosaga? Also made Xenoblade. Which this game, seems to eerily have a lot more in common with at the moment, taking art style out of the picture.

hosed up, but true.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

gannyGrabber posted:

I quit xenoblade when they gave me a 4th character but the party could only fit 3. That is the worst poo poo ever and any game that does that can gently caress itself. Thanks for reading.

I should put this in the OP and then everyone who reads this thread can forever laugh at you for thinking a Japanese RPG is not going to have Japanese RPG conventions in it. Thanks for posting that.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

I was going to just say RPG, but I thought I should hedge my bets because he might have said he only played like, Skyrim, and that's it. (I've never played Skyrim, gonna hope I'm right and that it only has a single character).

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Fungah! posted:

change the threa dto Xenoblade Chronicles X- I quit xenoblade when they gave me a 4th character but the party could only fit 3. That is the worst poo poo ever and

The mods have my blessing on this.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

TheMadMilkman posted:

I need to get around to finally playing XC.

Quick question though. Are there sidequests that you can get locked out of if you don't do them early enough? And, if so, is there a list of them somewhere?

Yes, and you don't really need a list because it's pretty much 2 blocks of quests and they will tell you which are timed. I believe the game will even tell you when you're going past the point of no return for both blocks that you're doing so. It's a non-issue.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Yeah. It's pretty much what I expected of Sawano.

It's not terrible, I've just already heard it a billion times before.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Dastardly posted:

No you're just not a whiny baby.

It's not a bad soundtrack, but you're being the whiny baby if you're dismissing legitimate complaints about Sawano reusing his materials too often because it's completely true.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Motto posted:

Can't wait for the doomsaying if the amazon.jp rating gets bombed with 1's for some silly reason like it tends to be.

e: Or like when people were getting ready to write off DKTF in the WiiU thread a while back when the first review was "good, not great".

Eh, I don't think the original Xenoblade got bombed in any way. So I think we'll be good. This one has robots now, there's no way they'll complain.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Also don't get why everybody said the writing doesn't hold up in the last half. Seems to be holding itself together just fine. :shrug:

That's the common complaint against Xenogears, not really Xenoblade. The common complaint against Gears is that it poo poo the bed on the 2nd disc.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 16, 2015

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
They needed to be more extreme than Xenoblade in every regard, unfortunately that extended to the fan service outfits as well. Just, don't use them if you don't want to really. I highly doubt they'll make that outfit super high stats.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

planetarial posted:

You can do it on the Dolphin. Though I agree that I would have preferred a HD rerelease over a port with tiny resolution and slightly fuzzier textures.

Sounds like they're trying to be Chrono Cross.

Eh, there's probably a main core cast of characters, and a lot are more side people. I also doubt they will just give people all the same dialogue and have the English translation throw it through an accent generator and then call it a day.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Here's an idea. Just don't put her in Bikini's and fanservice outfits and you won't have to worry about whether or not you're a pedophile. There is nothing forcing you to do this, and is easily avoidable.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Pretty much this. Only equipment I've seen is just swim suit stuff, default outfits and heart glasses.

Every site outside SA is yelling the big twist that I'm almost 100% is taken out of context anyway or just posting Lyn's wardrobe (or Elma wearing the same thing). I keep hearing "I'll just put cool cyber armor on them" but I'm starting to think people are making that up.

Yeah, because every blog site is gonna post "OMG. YOU CAN WEAR TOTALLY NORMAL ARMOUR IN A GAME" for all those sweet blog clicks that will generate. How about we trust that there will be perfectly normal stuff in the game, and for anything that goes onto the super creepy side, Nintendo is smart enough to make a call on that without a bunch of nerds screaming about it.

This argument is getting loving stupid.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You realize you added nothing with this and further reinforced what I said by not posting examples of actually cool armor right. The whole point I was trying to make is that people are getting mad at clickbait and saying "nuh-uh not all of it is like that." then not doing anything to really go against it.

Take a second to realize why I didn't have to post pictures of totally normal armour, here's a hint: because thinking that the game wouldn't have it is literally being a gigantic hyperbolic moron.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

"Hey guys can you show me some of the normal cool armor"
"You're a idiot it's in the game."

Sorry you're in the wrong here dude. Also it's pretty hilarious they give the player so many options to adjust the design on the eyes considering the fact I think most people will be spending a majority of the game looking at robots or the back of their heads.

"Hey guys I need proof that this game will have normal armour like every single video game of its kind in the history of video games has had. This isn't crazy at all!"

Show me on the doll where the anime touched you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Don't be a tool and post spoilers. I don't care if you think they're minor or not. If people want that info they will look for it.

• Locked thread