Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
We have no idea what his Final Smash is. I'm betting on change the future stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Xenoblade just has a ton of perfect music and if they get even one track in the same league as the main theme I'll be ecstatic. The main theme is in the running for my favorite song. Some of it is the piano and orchestra's performance as much as the composition, but it has so much sheer raw emotion it almost drives me to tears every time. The way the instruments echo and the parts layer, that slow build. It's just perfect in every way, it's the aural manifestation of melancholy yielding to hope and peace. I'm not one to cry at beautiful music but drat if that song doesn't manage it.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 27, 2014

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The only issue I've had with the HD texture pack is that sometimes peoples' heads disappear*, and the only fix is saving, quitting, and reloading (not save states). It's only mildly annoying, except when it happens in cutscenes where it's incredibly obnoxious.

* I assume it's a texture issue where it's loading the head part of the texture as all alpha.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Yes, you need to do some of them. I ran into an issue where I was doing all the quests, burned out around Alcamoth, and then went through the story avoiding quests. Around the time I had to get into Prison Island I couldn't fight the mobs effectively anymore. I really need to pick the game up again.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I haven't played Xenoblade in like a year, and instead of starting up again from the start and burning out, I'm probably going to pick up where I left off. If it's not too much effort, can somebody give me a quick refresher about what happens in Alcamoth? I remember the story pretty well, but I'm just about to head into Prison Island and I don't entirely remember the most recent stuff. Melia is princess and now legal heir. Her brother is cool. Alviss is some court seer and possibly working with the Emperor's High Entia consort who tried to murder Melly.

I'm mostly forgetting the big plot relevant stuff. All I recall is that the Bionis is coming back to life and that means doom, but I feel like there's something else I'm forgetting. I'm just about to head into Prison Island to give context.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I tried to play Bravely Default twice and couldn't get into it. The combat system was fine, but the dialogue just bothered me. At least in Xenoblade, aside from the odd off the cuff inspirational speech, people talk like people.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest even the gift option is super-slow. The amount you get for most gifts is like... 10 points and you need several thousand per relationship level.

Yeah, at one point I tried to grind out that Paola/Narine quest where you needed max affinity between two female party members by running around picking up Dobercorgies in Colony 6 for Sharla to give to Melia. It quickly became apparent this was not the way to go.

(I'm playing on Dolphin so once I'm done with all these drat sidequests I'm probably just going to enable some affinity multiplying Gecko code so I don't have to grind to see the Heart to Hearts).

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Valak Mountain was ruined for me by ice cabbages.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Evil Fluffy posted:

Older EO games can be a bit of a chore to play but Vesperia's awesome (Abyss was better) and I've heard good things about Graces and Zestria.

Graces had a pretty good combat system, and a story that was... well, okay, it wasn't very good or complex, but it was silly as hell and kind of charming because of it. It is ~the power of friendship~ taken to its extreme. I've heard Zestria was a trainwreck, though.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
All I know is that some of the people in the Tales thread who played the Japanese version said the plot really, really didn't work and was maybe kind of offensive? I don't really know the details.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Oh wow, I just got Colony 6 above whatever reconstruction threshold it takes for the music to remix itself and the song is really good. (Also, all the music on Mechonis is amazing)

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Vil posted:

Which time? :getin:

You might have more remixes to look forward to.

Around 55% reconstruction (everything level 4 except Special, which I need stuff I can't get yet), that's cool if it gets even livelier with the post-game reconstruction stuff.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Kaubocks posted:

I just beat the bosses in Mechonis Core

WHAAAAT?? :supaburn:

I'm right there with ya, I got there yesterday. The thing is, I knew a few big spoilers about the game already. Specifically The Telethia thing, the Fiora coming back/faces being people thing, the Machina existing, and Dickson being a dick, son, and I still wasn't prepared for everything after Galahad Fortress.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 22, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Fixed

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Wow, Speed IV doesn't look like the world's worst bathing suit! It's a miracle!

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
What level should you go into the last fight? I heard there are some cool mechanics that don't trigger if you're too high a level.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Mak0rz posted:

Wait. What's this new mechanic?

A vision war or something like that? I don't know, I just heard about it.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Xenoblade has a perfectly good and reasonably polished battle system, the issue is they can't use it properly because the AI is too dumb for them to make encounters where they can reasonably expect you to exploit the mechanics to their fullest. The only real problem with the system I have is spike damage, which I think is needlessly punishing (on-hit spike damage anyway, topple spike is a somewhat interesting deterrent). Especially when the best counter to spike damage is arguably to rifle through your inventory and regem your characters. Aggro is also a bit wonky with haste-build Seven, I guess, but that's due to sheer DPS output and I think it would still be an issue in any reasonably implemented aggro system.

I think the game is probably on the upper end of the curve as far as JRPGs go. Yes, the story (and I finished the game now) hits many of the same beats as a normal JRPG plot, but I thought it approached those beats in an interesting, novel way. Perhaps more importantly, it did the story beats in a way that's far more comprehensible than, say, Kingdom Hearts' ridiculously convoluted cosmology. It was a mishmash of JRPG, Shounen anime, and Mecha anime tropes, but they executed it extremely well. It's not high art, and the themes aren't as complex as some works in those genres, but it's definitely one example of those sorts of stories being done correctly.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
How is the aspect of repopulating/changing Neo LA? If anything, that's what I'll be in X for. I really, really love stupid poo poo like the homestead in Assassin's Creed 3, or rebuilding Colony 6 where you get to build up this little community from nothing.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Don't play Xenogears. It is bad.

What's also bad is the English translation for Xenoblade X. This is laughable.

:suicide:

The ability to change dialogue to something greater... So this is the Monado's power!

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Rabelais D posted:

I'm sorry but "creepy kid who likes blood and magic and...blood magic!" is a terribly infantile line. The translation reads in a very trite way overall. It might fit the source material though, haven't played the game.

I'm sorry, but I like Tales games. My threshold for trite is much, much harder to reach than yours.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

wateyad posted:

Actually it's a team thing. Team Symphonia games always use the square box skit portraits while Team Destiny games mostly (but not exclusively) use the full body ones. Zestiria uses the full body ones.

Didn't they disband the Tales studio and Team Destiny/Symphonia after Xillia, so Zestiria and all future installments are hybrid efforts?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

I said come in! posted:

Xenogears is really good but Xenosaga is not.

Xenophobia is even worse. :downsrim:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

I said come in! posted:

It does, I would buy that special edition except its already sold out despite only being available since this morning.

Actually, it was available for a bit yesterday immediately after it was announced at a con or something. I ordered it on Amazon yesterday afternoon.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

I said come in! posted:

lol I dont buy from gamestop.

Grind out the trade boosting skills and check the wiki to see if there's anyone to trade with. You can probably get it for a small dog or a rare berry or something if you're lucky.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Junkie Disease posted:

https://twitter.com/yuichiro_takeda/status/645478451881750529
"英語圏の人は、「my waifu」という言い方するけど、なんで「my wife」でも「mai waifu」でもないんだろう……?"
Oh no.
Hes the writer of Xenoblades.

My Japanese isn't the best, but isn't he just asking why English speakers use the term "my waifu" instead of "my wife" or "mai waifu"? The one Twitter response seems to basically be saying "gently caress if I know".

e: beaten

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

ePizza Cash sounds like a SA ad.

Is Xenoblade X published by aggro-gator?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I don't know if the entire album is, but I'd put Confrontation With the Enemy, specifically, somewhere in my top 10.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Silver Falcon posted:

I think it's kind of weird all around. Personally, I rarely make a custom character who looks anything like me. I'll make a character I think looks cool, or maybe who looks like a famous person, or a character from a story I like. Do most people make their custom character look as much like themselves as possible? :confused: I find that a little bit weird, but maybe I'm the weird one.

I tend to make characters as idealized versions of myself, but I'm also (just coming out as) trans, so a lot of that is probably related to the fact that I don't look like how I see myself in real life. It fulfills a need to "be myself" in a way that's hard/time consuming/medically and socially complicated in the real world.

I have a few exceptions, usually when I like one of the storylines a certain preset has, or the voice of a certain gender annoys me, or something else. For instance, I tend to play Default Male Shepard in Mass Effect because I like Tali and I don't like Jennifer Hale's line delivery in that game (yes, I know my opinion is the minority on that one), and ME1's character creator gave me some terrifying results so I just stuck with preset. (I'll also stick with a preset if I'm lazy or the character creator is too complicated)

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 14, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Aardvark Barber posted:

I'm playing through Xenoblade Chronicles 3D as my first Xenoblade experience.

At ~20 hours in I just made it to the Bionis' head and I pretty much stopped giving a drat about any of the sidequests at all. Unless I'm missing something, most don't even award XP and half are like "go kill this monster somewhere" and then I go looking for it and can't find it, then wander around lost for a while before giving up and going back to the relevant main quest (whatever the little story memo tells me to do).

Am I missing anything important by playing this way?

Nah, I think almost everyone who has been diligent about sidequests burns out at that point. I sure did. I ended up taking a year break from the game and coming back to it.

You may need to do a few sidequests if things are kicking your rear end, I tried to rush the main story and was underlevelled at one point, but you definitely don't need to do everything. Most of the sidequests are irrelevant garbage. A few are really good storywise, but for the most part World of loving Warcraft has better quests nowadays than Xenoblade's sidequests. The only real problem is some of the interesting quests are buried behind affinity you need to grind the easier quests to get, but you're really not missing much.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Rexroom posted:

Didn't they change it because they were afraid Americans would see "Philosopher" on the title and think it was too terrifying for children?

Nah, they thought Philosopher would be too boring to children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Renoistic posted:

I watched the Giant Bomb video and what the hell were they thinking with those voices (at 52 minutes in)? Looks pretty cool otherwise but that voice left me speechless.

Finally the Alvin and the Chipmunks game we've all be waiting for!

• Locked thread