Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

LawfulWaffle posted:

I'm playing through Xenoblade Chronicles currently, after watching the 45 minute stream and feeling the hype well up inside me. It's a game I bought when it first came out but I never really fall into it like some other RPGs. As it is, I'm around lvl 30 and just finished unlocking the way forward through a marsh. I feel like I forget a lot about using the combat system effectively when I go months in between play sessions, but it's nice to play on the WiiU while someone's TV.

It's not a bad game, really. I don't think it's sunk its hooks into me, but I enjoy the easy flow of exploration and combat. There are times I lament the omission of achievements or trophies like the other systems have, but I'm glad that there is literally nothing preventing me from giving an area the once over and moving on if I haven't wrapped up the local side quests. I spent a lot of time in the first areas running around and making sure to grab enough items and kill enough wolves to make people happy, but I'm really more interested in finding out what people find so captivating about the game.

Anyway, X looks gorgeous and I'm not seeing too much that tickles my RPG fancy heading to the other consoles. Here's hoping it's a step up from its predecessors.

Make sure you go through the marsh at night, because oh my god the marsh at night. :swoon:

People calling Xenoblade bland and uninteresting really confuse me. If you didn't wander around the Knee listening to the lovely music and admiring all the beautiful scenery, or just stand there with your mouth hanging open at the splendor of the marsh at night just... I have to wonder if we were playing the same game, because I wandered around pretty much everywhere in Xenoblade with a sense of barely-contained childlike glee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Ooh, this is a lot of information that I could use to make my characters better. I more or less approached equipment stuff with "stack as much agility as possible on everyone except Reyn and Melia", and I'm glad that's basically what I'm supposed to do :v: Never understood the whole "stat boost when naked" thing, though.

By the way, is this game at all related to the Xenogears/Xenosaga series? Or is it just a coincidence?

It's only tangentially related, if at all. This game was made by the same Xeno- people and probably contains a few references to those games, but it's not directly related.

In fact, I read somewhere that the Xeno- part of the title was only added as an afterthought as an homage to the other Xeno- games.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Is there a way to way to work Sharla into a team with Melia and Seven (probably not), or should I just include Riki instead and if so, what gems work well on him? I know that with the other two, I need a tank to keep things off of them, and I don't feel like using Dunban right now.

Riki works great with Melia and Seven. That was my go-to party. Control Melia, of course. AI Melia sucks. I'd give Riki Ether-boosting gems, since he has all those nice DOT skills that are Ether-based. Then, I dunno. Buff his defense, perhaps? Riki's pretty drat great.

For Seven, concentrate on Haste, Double Attack, and Agility.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

What kinda heavy armor for Melia is best? I got the Eclipse set, but I don't really like not having control over what gems are in my gear.

I did kinda end up going Melia/Seven/Riki, and they're a pretty great team. I've been thinking of how to do Melia/Seven/Sharla, and having Seven as a tank is kind of...alright? She's not amazing or anything and I just think Sharla doesn't contribute enough to this team. Sucks, cause I'd like to boost her skills and affinities up.

I think heavy armor increases your aggro, which you definitely do not want with Melia. If you need more protection, go with medium armor, I guess. But really the idea with Melia is you need someone else to hold the aggro. She's not going to be able to take a hit to save her life.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Start skipping sidequests and try maining Reyn for awhile. Things will get a bit more interesting a bit later. You'll pick up a third party member soon, for instance.

I'd say give it until you get to the Marsh. Make sure it's night when you go there!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Radio Talmudist posted:

So I'm a hardcore WRPG fan. Like, I'd campaign Josh Sawyer and Chris Avellone to be canonized if they were catholic. I'm gorging myself on Pillars of Eternity as we speak.

For some reason Xenoblades really intrigues me. I swore off JRPGs after the umpteenth Final Fantasy starred yet another metrosexual teen protagonist. I hate grinding. I hate incomprehensible JRPG plotlines. But Xenoblade has a really interesting setting and I've heard countless good things. I'm seriously considering grabbing this game with a new 3ds XL.

As a WRPG devotee, is there anything about this game I'll really love?

If you're sick of typical JRPG protagonists, I think you'll appreciate Shulk, yeah. Actually, character motivations in Xenoblade Chronicles in general are pretty understandable and Not Stupid. The plot is... all kinds of mindfuck, but in a good way!

Grinding doesn't really happen, since the game vomits EXP at you in the form of dozens (maybe hundreds?) of side quests, and even gives you EXP for exploration. You have no MP; your skills are on a cooldown. There are no inns, or potions. Your health regenerates whenever you're not in battle. You can fast travel to any major location. If you die, you just get sent back to the last Landmark you passed, which will cost you a few minutes of your time. If that.

Oh and also the voice acting is delightfully British and it's the best thing.

Basically yeah, if JRPGs have driven you crazy in the past, Xenoblade is for you!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Just fired up Xenoblade Chronicles 3D! Was there some special thing you could unlock with the Shulk Amiibo? He just gave me some generic tokens when I tried.

Looking forward to some Reyn Time, in 3D!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Radio Talmudist posted:

Side Quests: Do I need to do them to stay appropriately leveled enough to do story quests? Or can I ignore most or even all of them?

Oh no, you definitely don't need to do all of them! If you do all of them you will end up grossly overlevelled and steamroll everything. Plus you'll get burned out quickly.

Best way to handle sidequests is go through an area, talk to quest givers, and pick up a bunch of quests. Then go wander around and kill things and collect shinies on your way to your next story objective. You'll complete a fair few of the "kill this" or "collect that" quests that way. If you find yourself falling behind in levels, go pick up some more quests. In Xenoblade, one or two levels make a huge difference,, so it's easy to catch up if you fall a bit behind.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

katkillad2 posted:

Doll was loving dumb, I'm glad they changed it.

Yeah, it was. Did people honestly thing they were going to keep calling them Dolls in English? :psyduck: I figured all along the name was going to change. It's basically the quintessential example of "Japan loves the way English sounds and loves shoving English words into games," even if the word would sound dumb to English-speakers. And it did. Dolls was a dumb name.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

This is still the place for Xenoblade Chronicles questions right?

I forgot how annoying it is to get that ONE Collectible you need for a quest. I remember there was some trick to getting Collectibles to respawn, but forgot what exactly it is. Specifically I'm looking for Feather Leaves, and I don't have high enough affinity with Colony 6 to trade for them, due to basically ignoring sidequests ever since Makna Forest, rushing to get the 7th party member.

Saving/Loading doesn't seem to get the shinies to respawn, nor does Skip Travelling. Is it time based or something?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

planetarial posted:

Xenoblade Wiki says these places have the highest spawn rate for them

In Satorl Marsh:

- Kelsher Wetland, at the center of the land surrounded by wetlands
- Northeast of the Nopon Merchant Camp, near the edge of the large wetland
- the land between the two bridges at the west of Zaldania Waterfall
- west of Barren Moor; look for the area with three sets of wetlands
- the waterfall in the Basin Cave
- the large wetland at Igna Territory. The area is guarded by the UM Aggressive Cornelius

I believe the respawn trick is to warp to a different map, save, reset the whole game, and then reload and warp back to the nearest landmark where the collectibles spawn.

I just got one! I was hunting for it at the Basin Cave. Another thing that works is save, collect them, then load. They'll respawn after a minute or so.

Still annoying, but at least now I can get it consistently!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

RC Cola posted:

I'm playing through xenoblade chronicles for the 3ds right now and am trying to avoid spoilers. So far it's an amazing game. I just made it to colony six reconstruction. I was wondering if I should do all of the quests as they open up and talk to everyone to build up affinity all the time. Do you have to play as all the characters as the main character to level up their affinity with each other?
Oh and this is the best RPG I've ever played. I love it so much.

If you do every single sidequest as it becomes available, you'll quickly end up over levelled. If that doesn't bother you, sidequest away. Just be aware that there are a metric gently caress-ton of sidequests and you'll be in danger of burning yourself out if you don't pace yourself. However, walking around and building up affinity by talking to people has no draw-backs whatsoever and even unlocks new quests!

Characters build affinity by fighting together and being in the same party when you accept quests. If you want to build affinity with everyone then yes, you are going to have to switch your party around a lot.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

RC Cola posted:

Do I find out what bionis and mechonis are?
Is it normal for some bosses to kick your rear end?

Bionis and Mechonis are... giant robots that used to fight but stopped when they killed each other. Bionis is where the humans live; Mechonis is where the Mechon come from. Didn't you pay attention to the into cinematic?

And yes, though you might get your rear end kicked less if you switch up your party and employ different tactics.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Except it actually does? They don't just magically have completely different expectations. If it's well received over there then it will be here is how always works out.

Japan has never liked Metroid. Then Other M happened. And now Metroid is effectively dead.

Granted I mostly blame Sakamoto for that, but I also blame Japan for having horrible taste. :colbert:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think if a game has really rich body customization where basically every metric of proportions can be tweaked, then it's normal for boob to be among those sliders. But if you can only spare the resources to create two axes of body customization, Height+Boob is an awkward choice. Height+Weight for both genders would have made a lot more sense.

The "now busty women can't represent themselves!!" line is funny, because all that means is those players are joining the club with thin people, fat people, and people who don't have faces like porcelain baby dolls.

EDIT: They should have included Xander Mobus as a voice option. Reverb included.

I think it's kind of weird all around. Personally, I rarely make a custom character who looks anything like me. I'll make a character I think looks cool, or maybe who looks like a famous person, or a character from a story I like. Do most people make their custom character look as much like themselves as possible? :confused: I find that a little bit weird, but maybe I'm the weird one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Tae posted:

Do not try to reason with weaboos that make babel translations of japanese games, then get angry when those dirty gaijins change it.

I will never understand this. Do people get all weird when translators change stuff from, say, French or German? It just seems to be a Japanese > English thing.

Japanese is just a language, people.

If the Awakening folks are doing Xenoblade X then I am so loving sold. Awakening's localization was amazing.

• Locked thread