Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
What does that subweapon do? I can't quite tell from the video, aside from maybe unsquidding someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Gotcha, thanks.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Regy Rusty posted:

Please include octopus as a choice

If they get a go, kraken should as well. :colbert:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Ugh, if only I already owned a WiiU. :( I have to wait until tomorrow to pick up the Splatoon/WiiU bundle from Best Buy, damnit.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Alabaster White posted:

Yeah but even the tiniest movement on the analog stick sends the reticule flying, and I spend too much time actually trying to line up a shot, even against a stationary opponent. Would gyro controls help with this?

Oh God, using a Charger without gyro? Yeah, it's pretty bad. Give it a try with gyro, so much better.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

noirstronaut posted:

I feel like this si very wrong for a number of reasons, but I am very tired

I wouldn't say it's wrong for a lot of reasons, but I do feel it's not quite right.

For example, holding your exclusive lanes and the top and bottom platforms while the other team holds everything else will get you the victory. Both teams have easy access to the bottom platform from their spawn, and it's not too hard to rush to the top platform for most weapons using the side route. Those together means it's pretty easy for somone to go take the bottom platform while someone else takes the top in the last minute, winning you the game. (It was really weird seeing the map at the end, with yellow covering the platforms and our lanes, and a giant swath of purple cutting everything off from the rest. It was also surprising, since the match had been a complete stomp and we had been losing from about 30 seconds in.)

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Trash Boat posted:

Man, the only change I would make to Splatoon's soundtrack would be to throw the Squid Sisters song into the regular map rotation.

Have it be a semi rare occurrence in place of the normal 1 minute left theme. :3:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
It depends on the maps. Is only been out for one day, we hadn't seen all the maps yet. Some of the ones we had seen apparently already had two zones, just next to each other. I can't say from experience though since my internet's a piece of poo poo and I'm barely level 8.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I like using it on the Skatepark zones, since it's big enough to take the zone for yourself and clear off nearby enemies, including the tower of you place it right. Other maps I've found it is of much better use using it on those annoying ledges enemies are hiding on than using it on the zones.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Assuming a 50% win rate, you get a little less than 900 points on average at C-. It goes up from there as you raise in ranks.

So, it depends on what you're averaging in Turf Wars, since losing by knockout in ranked gets you nothing. Also, there's fun to factor in. There's no need to grind your way to 20 doing a mode you don't like, just play whatever you want to.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Team Caaaat! :argh:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
My internet is awesome and random on the time periods it wants to play nice and not disconnect me three out of four games, so I've started playing a couple Turf War matches before I jump into Ranked.

As frustrating as it is for me to disconnect, it's just as frustrating, if not more so, to the three other people on my team. It's only fair that I eat the loss penalty as well.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Aside from more points, it's also a completely different game mode in Splat Zones that you may or may not enjoy. I prefer it to Turf Wars, so I play it more, leading to a (slowly) rising rank.

At least until Tower and Rainmaker come out, those are interesting takes on my favorite modes in shooters and I'm pretty excited for them down the road.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Had two 4v3 matches. Both were complete stomps and I was on the 3 side both times. Poor team Dog never stood a chance. :getin:

Seriously, Tenacity is really good if you have Sticky Bomb Rush on the side down a player. It's even better when you're paired with another Tenacity player, also with Bomb Rush.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Level Slide posted:

Oh yeah, there was this other tower control match where everyone on my team, me included, kept getting blown up by opposing ink mines on the tower.

I think if you ink a Mine it'll blow up without having to get close. If I'm not just misattributing things and this is the case, then you want to always try and ink the top of the tower before getting on it yourself.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Welcome brush brother. You are now the Raiden of splatoon.

TURN OFF THE INK-HIBITORS

Come on, it writes itself. It's like you're not even trying.

:colbert:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
So, uh, note for the future. If you're slow on picking up your Super Sea Snails, there's a good chance you'll just straight up not get them. Booted up Splatoon today after not playing since Splatfest, and there was no announcement about Splatfest results, nor any mention of Snails and I don't have any. :smith:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Bown posted:

I like the Sploosh-O-Matic and would like something similar in fire rate but with a little more range, where should I be lookin'

There's also the Splash-O-Matic. It's a bit longer range, just as fast fire rate, but doesn't spread as wide so you have to be more accurate. It also has Suction Bombs and Bomb Rush. :getin:

LethalGeek posted:

Only gripe I have about the new map is you're way to exposed while trying to climb walls to get at the chargers that make the ramps to the walls needed in the first place!

There's a fairly concealed route to take if you're trying to get around a Charger.

The big thing is that you don't go up the ramp on their side of the center, go along the little passage beside it and then up the wall of the ramp. They'll see you coming if they're paying attention, but there's just enough cover and the distances are short enough you can dash between them relatively safely. Just watch out when you get on top of their ramp at the base, that's when you're most vulnerable to any support the Charger has, or anybody that happens to be right there.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

CatsPajamas posted:

This is cool and I'd like to see more things like this! Where did you find the blank stage map? Is there a good place to find blank maps of all the stages?

I just Googled Moray Towers and chose a decent looking map from Images. Sadly, I'm not aware of a good place to get maps. :(

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Tirux posted:

Hey guys,

Did any of you had trouble getting the Splatfest award? I admit I didn't login for a couple of weeks after the Splatfest event, but I cannot believe I didn't have any Super Sea Snails.

Did I have to connect the next day of Splatfest to receive them?

Yeah, me too. It also doesn't happen to everybody, there was a reddit thread I checked before I originally posted and some people were able to get them, some were not. A few people got in touch with Nintendo, but I'm just lazy enough that it didn't seem worth it to me so I don't know if anyone's had any luck that route.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I wish I liked the octobrush instantly- gotta play with it more but it just feels like a worse inkbrush to me. The swings for whatever reason feel a lot slower and the ink spread is super unreliable.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I think the swing rates are similar but the octobrush throws five globs of paint that are bigger and more damaging vs individual inkbrush globs. Maybe 50% more ink is layed down on the charge, but the run speed for the inkbrush is way better.

I can't say for sure for the time it takes a swing to complete Octobrush vs. Inkbrush. However, I can say the Octobrush has a much longer cooldown between swings vs. the Inkbrush. I can get 3-4 swings with the Inkbrush in the time it takes to get 2 with the Octobrush.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
The thing is, the sponsored Splatfests have all been one company. You're going to get things like the McRib vs. McChicken, or Doritos Cool Ranch vs. Nacho Cheese.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

mabels big day posted:

You're an idiot if you don't rush for the big area at the top of the map on saltspray and keep it on lockdown for the whole match.

Then they go for the bottom and passageways, and you lose the match. I go straight for the bottom to grab that and the connecting passageways and hold those. Counts for more and easier to hold.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Literally, just a bucket chucking ink at fools. :allears:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

:allears:

See, the funny thing about this is it's similar (though not exact, yes, I know) to saying that good ol' USofA doesn't have a set age of consent, since there isn't a Federal law about it. Clearly TLC's Toddlers & Tiaras was primarily aimed at sexualizing young children, and Authentic Entertainment had absolutely nothing to fear even though they're based in California which has 18 as it's age of consent.

Edit: Also, I love how there's never any mention of Mexico when this comes up...

Onean fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 26, 2015

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Any idea what weapon is in the first tweet? Maybe a new roller of some kind?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Onean posted:

Any idea what weapon is in the first tweet? Maybe a new roller of some kind?

Oh, I guess it's the bucket, then. Interesting.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Tengames posted:

He seems to go by the screename Tamarinfrog and has several comics about two specific inklings named...blue and orange.

Aw man. :3: Her stuff's pretty great.

Edit: Uhhhh, huh...

Onean fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 30, 2015

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Oh...gently caress.

Who doesn't do both? I mean, come on. :(

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Oh my god, I never thought I'd see a neckbearded inkling. :aaa:

Edit: ...wait, it's not an inkling. Crabling?

vvvv: Yup.

Onean fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 5, 2015

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Hello Nintendo I would like a refund

Fffffffuuuuck.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Finally been able to get more than a couple games in since the patch. I think I've fallen in love with the Splatling, holy poo poo. Having fun with the Slosher, but I think I'm going to be using the Splatling quite a bit. Just gotta get better at using the Splash Wall...

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Internet Kraken posted:

Actually they are there because I accidentally hit the sub button when I spawned :v:

Basically, this. I used to think it was people placing them to jump back and they weren't aware you could do it without, but then I used a weapon with the Beakon and wound up dropping one about a third of the time completely on accident.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Little_wh0re posted:

Did someone replace your fingers with live eels or something?

Hey, it's really easy to bump that button when picking up the gamepad after setting it down, which I do to browse the Web on my phone between matches. :colbert:

And maybe I exaggerated a bit. It's more like once in every dozen or so games.

Edit:

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

I'm really happy with this game. I almost didn't pick it up because of the metacritic reviews were low 80's. gently caress game reviewers.

Wait, what the hell? Ugh. Metacritic just needs to go away. :(

Onean fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 12, 2015

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Tender Bender posted:

From what I've played I really like it, it feels like a nice throwback to N64 era 3d platformers. I wouldn't be surprised if the "this started as a Mario spin-off" rumors are true, you can really feel the Mario Sunshine heritage in a good way.

Nah, it actually had nothing to do with Mario to start with, it actually started with tofu, then moved to bunnies before settling on squids. (If you haven't yet read Splatoon's Iwata Asks, you really should when you get a chance.) Hell, they didn't even have anything for the single player campaign when the game was first announced at E3 2014. They only had one weapon, one stage and the scoring system wasn't even complete at the time. They cranked out the code to get what they had for release.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can kinda see how they got from Rabbits to Squids looking at the concept art - the original in-game/concept character models probably had rabbit ears instead of tentacles for their "hair".

From the Iwata Asks:

Seriously, go read the interview. It's great.

quote:

Iwata Why a rabbit?
Inoue Well, a lot of it was because of design factors. Rabbits are white to begin with, so it would be easy to tell if they were inked. They’ve got long ears that would move when they did, so you could see them moving and when viewed from above, it would be easy to tell which direction they were facing by the direction of the ears.

quote:

Iwata Over ten years ago, we had a game called Super Mario Sunshine. A unique element of the game was using a pump to spray water. Did this game come to mind?
Nogami We get asked that a lot...
Iwata Is there any connection?
Nogami I forgot about it...
All (laughs)
Nogami We only remembered it later on. Like, "Oh yeah, there was a water gun in Super Mario Sunshine." As Nintendo employees, that’s pretty embarrassing. (laughs)

Edit: Forgot the quote I actually wanted to add!

quote:

Nogami We really couldn’t move past it. And then Sakaguchi-san put together a list of what form the character was supposed to be and what functions it needed.
Inoue He wrote down all kinds of things that he needed us to do. Not just how the character looked, like the silhouette and the actual size. He also put together a concise and easy to understand list of weapons and actions.
Sakaguchi I put it all together because I thought that if we were able to put in all of those elements I wrote down, we would be able to move forward with things. One of the items was "motif," and after a sentence reading, "A motif where it makes sense for it to be squirting ink," I wrote "Squid?"
Iwata You wrote "Squid?" (laughs)
Nogami Yes. Squid had been one of our ideas for a possible character for quite a while, but we’d never been able to say "Let’s go with that." But we’d just started to talk about making it not one character, but something that could switch between an "ink creature form" and a "humanoid form."
Iwata So you thought about making a character that could transform.
Amano That’s right. Like the name says, we wanted the ink creature form to be ink, and when it moved on top of ink of the same color…
Iwata Just like with the tofu, it would be camouflaged and become invisible.
Amano And the humanoid form would be able to do actions like shooting ink, and it looks like a person, so if we allowed players to customize what it looked like, we thought that it could become a character players would grow to love.

Onean fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 13, 2015

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Can someone write a few words on Rainmaker, because I think I'm not "getting it" or something - I almost always lose and it's just not any fun at all and it's just tanking my rank hard. Almost every time I get the rainmaker, I either die instantly or before I can get close to making progress. Whenever someone else on my team grabs it I do my best to cover them, but it usually is just the two of us against the entire enemy team so it never really ends well.

Late, since I'm at work and keep getting interrupted, but here's just a few, based on a few hours from last night.

On defense, it's absolutely worth hanging back after a fight at your base and making sure there's no enemy ink trail leading to your goal. Cover that stuff up a good ways back so they have to fight for every inch all over again.

During a fight is also really important to cover the paths the enemy's trying to lay down. It keeps the Rainmaker back and gives your team more time to respond.

Don't have anything specific for fighting against the Rainmaker, aside from the obvious that flanking is your friend. Getting right up in the Rainmaker's face can help too, since it shoots in a cone pattern rather than a rectangle.

If there's someone on your team fighting over the Rainmaker's shield with someone on the other team, try and get a flank on the enemy player around the Rainmaker. If you can't, then you can give a hand in breaking it. On the other hand, if there's isn't anyone contesting the shield for your team, it's now your job until you get some backup. Just watch out for enemy flanks and don't get within the shield's splat range if possible. You can risk letting the enemy get it quickly, just make sure you're in a position to steal it or splat them immediately.

On offense, your primary goal with or without the Rainmaker is getting a path of your ink to the goal. Splats are secondary, but important. The first time your team gets the Rainmaker you want to make as straight a line as possible to push the distance down for a time victory. Save the alternate paths for later.

If you don't have the Rainmaker and aren't playing a Charger, stand in front of the person who does so your body can absorb shots first. Your death is of minimal importance, while the Rainmaker's life is most important. Forging ahead to force the enemy to deal with you will let the Rainmaker player line up shots. Bubbler is super nice here too, since even though the person carrying the Rainmaker can't use it, you can use it to make a good screen by yourself to defend your Rainmaker's push, and it only gets better with two players. As such if you have a charged Bubbler try not to pick up the Rainmaker.

If you are carrying the Rainmaker, keep in mind that it shoots in a cone, so the earlier you spot an enemy the better. Watch your teammates. If there's a friendly roller running at you from the goal, cover for them until they reach you and then ride the ink trail to victory. Really, just watch for a line to the goal like a hawk and shoot for it as soon as it's there. You can surprise a lot of people with that.

Finally, map awareness is more important for Rainmaker than any other mode. Keep an eye on that map on the gamepad, and it'll tell you a hell of a lot of information.

Onean fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 16, 2015

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Hmmm. I thought I'd received one once and gave one away once, but now I'm not sure.

Edit: Even if it doesn't work, it's still pretty good for setting up a screen to defend your Rainmaker's push.

Onean fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 16, 2015

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I just took it out of my post, just in case. I'd been up for over 24 hours by that point, so I'm probably misremembering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Kurtofan posted:

The freshest e-sport player will get 1 million in cold hard cash

That's, uh, not how it works. That 1 million will be split up across every game, and every paying placement.

For an example grabbed at random, G-League 2015 was advertised as having a $45,000 prize pool. The first place team got $32,700, second got $8,100 and third and fourth each got $1,640.

Those are also teams of five, so it's split five ways*.

*This almost never actually works this way. Usually you play for a team, and the team gets all reward monies and doesn't split it up across the players. In return, you get paid a steady income paid by the team owners, which comes from tournament rewards, sponsorship deals, etc.

• Locked thread