Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Brought To You By posted:

I would guess that radiation would still work on her given that all we know about her anomaly is that it makes her body more durable. A nuke might be a bit excessive though even for Alison. Despite all her strength and defense she's just one person.

Gas based attacks should still work against her. Maybe not stuff that works on skin or eye contact depending on how that would interact with her body; but there are a number of aerosol-based tranquilizers and hallucinogens that interact with the lungs and could render her unconscious or incapacitated long enough for law enforcement to properly restrain her. That's assuming a non-lethal approach to stopping Alison.

I can't remember, why are we assuming that Alison needs to breath/is vulnerable to tear gas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

Opposing Farce posted:

Alison lifted the dude by his shirt collar, which ranks pretty low on the scale of 'violent acts' in the first place (especially when you take superpowers out of the equation).

http://strongfemaleprotagonist.com/issue-5/page-20-3/

Take a look at the page again her hand is around his throat,and above his shirt and his face is turning red. It could be embarrassment/anger, but it could also be that she's cutting off the blood flow to his head. I think it fits for her to go a little to far. Allison has little to no experience solving "normal" crimes and this is what she thinks is an appropriate way to interrogate a source. I don't know what kind of training or oversight she had when she was working for the government, but she is a violent person who likes solving problems with violence, so it's not surprising if she uses more force then is strictly necessary.

quote:

As much of a cop-out as it sounds like, I as a writer try and avoid persuasion or “intending” the reader to come to a given conclusion... Writing loses all credibility and meaningfulness when it becomes propaganda, EVEN propaganda for a good cause or a point of view I hold deeply.

This definitely seems like a cop-out, there's a lot of space between writing to persuade and propaganda

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

Hollismason posted:

It would have been better if the judge had just let the boys go because of a mistake or technicality like the evidence had been tampered with or destroyed accidently. It would have at least made it some sort of argument, but right now she's murdered rapist, a wife beating judge, and apparently war criminals.

Who quite possibly sexually abused his daughters.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

Slashrat posted:

Okay, since you asked the question, kindly elaborate on why you think revenge-killing is justified in the cases where due process reaches the conclusion that the suspect should not be punished. Be sure to include whether or not this argument means that due process can be throw away entirely, and the first response to any crime should be to kill the suspect.

That's a funny way of phrasing it, but I'll take a swing at it. Rape is unique in that it is a serious crime that the United States is completely incapable of prosecuting at an acceptable rate. Somewhere around 3 percent of rapes lead to jail time. Again, 32 out of 33 times someone is raped, their perpetrator never serves time. The State is unambiguously failing in its responsibility to investigate and prosecute rape, and in situations where the State is failing so obviously private action becomes much more acceptable. In addition, very few rapists only commit a single offence. Statistically speaking, the people Moonshadow has killed would have gone on to rape many other people.

This does not mean the state should do away with due process, but the state should actively investigate why the prosecution rate for rape is so low, and take steps to correct it. I'm not advocating for vigilantism as a general rule, but in specific circumstances, where the State is either incapable or unwilling to prosecute crimes, private individuals are justified in stepping in.

Tar_Squid posted:

And to chime in, because this is a good discussion, also include why we've decided to upgrade the punishment for rape to murder. And also since the victims appear to be giving permission for Moonshadow's rampages, would it also therefore be justified for the friends and family of the men being killed by Moonshadow to also seek vigilante revenge on the original victims, since after all they had a family member slain and the victims are just as connected to the murder as the judge was in that rape trial.

Moonshadow doesn't have a jail to throw these guys in, she has a knife. It is not her responsibility to perfectly imitate the punishments the State would levy if it was functioning properly,when she is only acting because the State is not functioning. Moonshadow isn't sentencing these men to death, she is killing them because that is her best way to punish them and stop them from committing further crimes.

Your concerns about retribution and an escalating cycle of vengeance are (some of the) good reasons why vigilantism is a bad idea. And if the State was doing it's job with any regularity, Moonshadow would be wholly unjustified.

Further discussion questions. Why do you think Moonshadow killed the Judge? Was it because he let the boy off? Or because he's a wife beater who molested his daughters?

Reading back through the chapter I realized we don't actually know what happened in the trial, its perfectly possible they were found guilty and given a suspended sentence, or a minor amount of jail time, but they could also have been found not guilty.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

Brought To You By posted:

They were acquitted. What we don't know is why.

Whoops, don't know how I missed that.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

Like I said, I wasn't offering a generalized defense of all vigilantism everywhere. I was talking about situations where the State was unwilling or unable to punish serious crimes, which to put it mildly has not been the case with the United States and black people.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

Poison Mushroom posted:

Or to put it another way, she's asking Alison why this one particular event of violence is getting so much more press than the ones we let slide every day.

It's not just that. She's saying that this isn't a big deal because these types of crimes are going to become a lot more common in the near future, and as biodynamics come into their own, someone like Moonshadow is going to become much more "dog bites man" than it currently is.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

Gorilla Salad posted:

Wasn't it Sarah Palin who started charging women for their own rape kits?

Yes, but that was a mayor of a town of 7,000 people, not as governor of the state.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

Leper Residue posted:

I wasn't completely agreeing with everyone at first, but it's been almost 14 pages since she's arrived at the office, and nothing of consequence is happening, and I don't see anything happening except maybe they stop being friends, and we're probably going to get another two pages of this.

This thing needs a "Gets out of the office" email notification sign up.

Part of what's making this chapter suck is that the rate of production is so slow compared to the kind of story they are trying to tell. Like, I've been interested in each page so far, but at two pages a week, we have been in Patrick's office for over a month now. This is a common problem for these kind of high effort per page, long form webcomics.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

reignonyourparade posted:

:colbert: 90% sure they can still pump deadly gas into her room as she sleeps!

Edit: Not anything TOXIC since that would probably be prevented from harming her, just anything that isn't oxygen so she can't breathe.

Do we have any reason to believe she needs to breathe?

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

rotinaj posted:

This is dumb.

This is really dumb. She's flying so fast, she randomly dislocates her shoulder? Come the gently caress on. This smacks of the author realizing how powerful he's made Allison in just the past few months, and wanting to show "No you guys seriously Allison isn't so overpowered that there are no threats", and wanting the fight with Moonshadow to not just be instantly over.

Maybe if it had been hinted so far that flying took more of a strain, or it used up more of her power field at one time, or something? Anything?

Allison's doctor literally told her that they didn't know how her flying power worked, and that she shouldn't use it because it could be dangerous. Also, trying to ratchet down Allison's power level is a bad idea, and goes against her main character arc in the comic.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like people are really overselling the dip in quality this comic is experiencing just because it gave us one long, slow, talky, disjointed chapter.

One of the downsides of a webcomic like this is that if you have a lovely chapter it means that it sucks twice a week for eight and a half months

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

Radiochromatic posted:

Or, if it's an illusion, why Furnace would be fooled into thinking Mary's actually there, when he already knows that Allison was tanking the electricity literally less than a minute ago

I assume anything Furnace does in the next few pages is going to be explainable by the fact that he's dosed to the gills on sodium penthol, is a quick-tempered moron, and has had a really bad day so far.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah, I kind of like this scene but A) Violet's being drawn off model here and B) I don't think we ever got told that Violet was moving out, or even was particularly mad at Allison. The last time we saw her, she was apologizing to Allison, and they seemed cool with each other. Now admittedly, her friend did get murdered since then, but we never saw Violet's reaction to that.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

Atmus posted:

I THINK she left when Miles got murdered, but at this point I don't even feel like going back and checking.

I went back and checked, we don't see Violet after Miles dies.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

Flesh Forge posted:

Of course I get this, but the delivery comes across as so "me me me" it's just wretched. Would have been nicer if she'd said something more like, "... and I couldn't do anything about any of it! a bloo boo boo."

No I like this. Alison's been the most important person she know for quite some time now. Like she was doing good and useful work as a superhero, and quit that because she thought that she could literally save the world if she had better plans. Now she's coming up against a problem (in Mary) that she failed to fix and doesn't even know if she wants too. I'm reading it as more of an existential complaint rather than "me me me" stuff.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like this isn't a very well-thought out idea. How exactly would a team of super-powered people be more effective at dealing with domestic violence than the police? The main problem with dealing with domestic abuse isn't the lack of firepower.

Well some estimates of the prevalence of domestic violence by police officers is Scary High. And people who are abused by police officers can have a very difficult time getting help/getting away from their abuser. And I honestly would be interested in seeing what would happen if Allison started beating up cops.

quote:

It's not like only women are victims though, so it's not like Pintsize wouldn't have a place he could help in this even if you take it as a given that a victim of domestic abuse would rather have someone of the same gender around for support.

This comic might, maybe deal with sexual/domestic violence perpetrated by gay men, but I would bet money it's not going to recognize that Venn diagram of abusers and women overlaps.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

SFP commentator posted:

What tweaks me is that he is saying, in front of a friend of Al's that he is staking a claim on her romantically (hence his pushing the romantic and date language when Al is clearly avoiding it) and staking a claim on her body (hence his pretty clear implication that he intends to be making out with her this evening.) This is a pretty public statement, and one that she hasn't cleared.

Other SFP commentator posted:

You know the worst part? The most gut-wrenching part?
Klevin did everything right. He did everything way too right.

He was considerate, thoughtful, his intentions clear and honest, and extremely mindful of Alison's boundaries. He was so perfect, I'm suspecting he's the kind of guy who used to be a bitter, depressed Nice Guy until some event or person shook him up to straighten his act and become the paramount of excellent behavior of courtship. He's the kind of guy to have had his heart shattered by the girl he felt entitled to, realized he was an rear end in a top hat and spent months on the likes of Dr. Nerdlove's blog to come out a better man.
But a loser just as well.

And he "lost" Alison's affection to someone half of us are willing to consider has a tad too dominant behavior, certainly a questionable one. The blow is even more piercing considering the person judging is very specifically Alison.
What do you think he'll learn from that experience? That in the end, being a decent person doesn't matter. That it's all about assertiveness, charisma and competition. That it's unfair, and why bother being good in a world which doesn't reward you for being good?

What the actual hell?

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug
I think it's a really weird situation, and I'm actually interested in reading a few more pages of the, "Don't look at me, I'm a monster" support group. But the real value is in the comments

quote:

Wow, the comments are especially terrible today. So many men mansplaining what a body is and having no clue of what support groups are actually like. This is saddening.

Oh my god.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug
Seriously, if this comic could regularly be as good as this page/Chapter 3 it would be one of the best ever.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

Galvanik posted:

I really hope this comic stays with Allison talking with the ladies about their lives.

Her and Max are not an interesting couple.

Yeah but whenever they're being a couple, the comments section is amazing.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug
I might be giving them too much credit here, but this page actually makes me interested in Max. The way the background turns to orange in the, "don't tell me what to do" panel makes it seem like Max has some actual issues that are driving this as opposed to just being a douchebag.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

Zerilan posted:

Right, to an extent, what Allison wants is part of what Brad's group seems to be wanting to avoid: having biomorphic individuals to only be seen for what their abilities can do to help regular people.

The only person Allison has recruited was the fish girl, and that was for her accountancy abilities, not her biomorphicness.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

Flesh Forge posted:

:iceburn:

e: I think Brad's "solution" was disappointing and it's unfortunate that the character is not allowed to say "Hey Teresa, what you're saying is exactly the same as the hard right republican confederate flag waver types say about the quote unquote bathroom law that was so embarrassingly lovely for the entire country, maybe you need to get the gently caress out of here and go rethink your attitude on someone who is literally transgendered and how they fit into your safe space concept"

instead

So not actually a fan of the nuance then?

Boxman posted:

It's a better online handle than I've ever had.

Ditto

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug
I'm not sure I've ever rooted for a character to be fridged before.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm hoping he's one of those uber powerful supers that the government tracked down and murdered, except they missed him somehow.

You know, it would actually sort of make sense that Max's parents were rich enough to have their son not get murdered in exchange for him promising never to use whatever powers he has.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug
This arc would be a whole lot better if we knew what Alison was trying to do.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

idonotlikepeas posted:

I don't know what you guys are talking about with the comments on the comic, either; there's definitely a vast majority saying it's wrong.

We have definitely reached stage 2 in the lifecycle of a SA mock thread. Where goons just start blatantly misreading the comic and ignoring anything that contradicts their belief that the bad comic is in fact utterly without merit.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug
No thank you. I prefer the cleaner lines and the colour.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

Amazing.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

Wrist Watch posted:

Okay I read a bit further from that page and uh...

This is the comic people were saying used to be better? Why is anyone surprised she forced a dude to do poo poo against his will? In the pages after that link she purposely puts doubts in her friend's head after she was more or less at peace with effectively getting tortured forever, yells at her friend's friend when he tells her to gently caress off, threatens to kill the friend's friend for calling her out, kills a dude for hurting her apparently immortal friend, then threatens to kill a group of peaceful protesters before having to get talked out of it by her half dead friend with third degree burns over her entire body.

It would have been weirder if she didn't force that other dude to do whatever she wanted. She's a loving psychopath.

All of this was unironically good. And if you think killing the man who lit your friend and a room full of doctors on fire and then yelling at the morons slandering her sacrifice makes you a psychopath you're a god drat moron.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

Wrist Watch posted:

Dang, you got me. I'm a moron for including a character killing someone in the midst of listing a bunch of irrational things they did in the span of like, ten minutes.

Yeah, I should have written that better. I didn't mean that everything she did was the the right thing to do, I meant that it made for a good story.

quote:

Stopping a terrorist is good, so there's nothing wrong with throwing a dude the length of a football field through a hospital into a crowd of protestors, making it clear that none of them have the power to stop you, and throwing a truck around like a child because they're not listening to you because you just killed a man while screaming that you could kill all of them if you felt like it. This is extremely cool, and good. You are a normal, well adjusted person.

There's lots wrong with what she did, but nothing in her behaviour was psychopathic. She is upset and irrational because someone who she cares about is suffering, psychopaths don't care about people.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

Wrist Watch posted:

Stop being reasonable, I want to keep being mad about webcomics :mad:

But yeah, psychopathic was an exaggeration. It's definitely stressed out and fed up to be sure but at the same time...there's definitely something off about a person unable to control themselves like that.

I've been fortunate enough that nothing remotely like "watching someone take a flame thrower to my friend" has ever happened to me. But if I ever saw someone kill a friend of mine, I think I would be furious, and I find it really weird you don't have any empathy towards Allison there.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

Falstaff posted:

From a storytelling perspective, this whole "Supergirl's settling for ME!" nerd wish fulfillment is more offensive than anything Alison did to flamethrower dude.

A-Goddamn-Men

Wrist Watch posted:

If I haven't explained what I mean by this point I give up because I don't know how else to say this.

So I'm going to say this again, because it apparently didn't click the first time. I don't think Allison did the right thing. She shouldn't have killed the flamethrower dude, and she shouldn't have threatened the protesters. I don't actually read her as threatening dreadlocks guy, but she shouldn't have yelled what she did at him either. Our disagreement isn't that I think she was right and you think she was wrong. It's how we interact with and interpret her wrongness.

Also, if you haven't read the bit that comes immediately after the hospital scene, I really recommend you do. It's easily the best part of the comic.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug
Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that one. Yeah that's pretty dang threatening.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

ManlyGrunting posted:

Does the dialogue for the professor seem kind of off to anyone? I've lived most of my life around humanities academics and they don't tend to talk like this, even around students. Maybe English isn't his first language but I don't remember them hinting at this before.

Just, I don't know, something about the way he talks seems off, like he's purely a product of philosophy without any real intuition toward the situation or Alison's personhood, if that makes any sense.

That's because he doesn't sound like a humanities prof, he sounds like a wise old mentor figure.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

Trast posted:

I mean it's not totally unreasonable. The Beastie Boys have been around since 1980 and got some pretty big pop acclaim. It's not unreasonable someone who's around young people for years would hear of them even if they aren't into them.

Seriously, my philosophy prof loved pop culture references. A dramatic jackass like professor scarface quoting Beastie Boys is perfectly in character.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

Joe Slowboat posted:

...also, is anyone else annoyed by the use of real-world ethnic conflict or its implication to comfort an obnoxious super-powered white college student about her choices?
She could be off saving people from ethnic cleansing and instead she's being comforted by a survivor of same. What grand perspective!

The lack of specificity bugs me more. If you are going to hint about this stuff, pick something that actually happened (or that didn't, but hints at how things are different in SFP world).

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

Flesh Forge posted:

"It’s been nearly a year since the original black and white stone scene went online, so here it is if you need refreshing!" ahahaha

Yeah, reading this note was where the abyss looked back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

KaosMachina posted:

http://comicsalliance.com/strong-female-protagonist-reading-guide/

And ComicsAlliance picks possibly the absolute worst time to go "Hey, people should go check out this comic!"

I remember mightygodking recommending it sometime around Dr. Rapestatistics and thinking THAT was bad timing.

• Locked thread