Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Violet reminds me here of an uncountable number of wannabe psychiatrists who read a little bit about things, understand even less, and applies this gross oversimplification to human behavior in a way that is absurdly wrong.

She is right that Allison goes to solve with her fists too quickly, but Allison was not a child soldier (unless we apply a definition so broad as to be meaningless to understand the mental trauma she is tying in here) and simply being used to violence does not lead to PTSD, and PTSD doesn't intrinsically manifest itself as paranoia and violence.

Allison isn't in the right here - she brought a terrifying level of force to bear based off suspicion of a situation that she was new to, suspicions yet to be born out.

You have two characters both partly right in conflict, which is how things are in real life. This is why I like this comic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Pavlov posted:

What is an IVS?

Invisible Vigilante Stabber

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

Allison is above the law because her actions haven't exceeded her potential value yet. It is absolutely certain that the government has found a way to kill her after all of these years. I'm guessing they frantically started researching how to do so as soon as she went to the camp.

How is something with no basis in what the story has shown "absolutely certain"?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

The mere fact of Allison's existence is enough.

No, it isn't. You are making up things based in what you think the story should be, not what it is. Show me the page where it says they have a hard counter to her or shut up.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

thatbastardken posted:

There isn't a textual example, but it's not unreasonable to infer from the murders of the "world changing" supers that more than a few people would be interested in working out how to kill Allison and they've had years to work something out.

Yes, it is unreasonable because it isn't supported by the work.

You guys are treating this like every other "realistic" treatment of superheroes like Ennis or Moore wrote it, where it comes down to who has more ultra violence up their sleeve and it isn't. With deliberate and clear intent they are breaking from that type of plotting and those tropes.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

idonotlikepeas posted:

I think it's fair to say that it's likely (but not certain) that there is some kind of anti-Alison contingency plan. That doesn't mean they've got Alison-killing poison or a team of assassins on tap or anything wacky like that, it just means in some filing cabinet in the DoD there's probably a folder with some report in it that says "here's what we do if Alison goes nuts and starts wrecking things", and most likely the plan is going to involve containment or imprisonment as a first option. This is just something governments do when there's a huge potential threat out there. It's like having a backup plan for what to do if France or Pakistan loses its collective poo poo and starts firing nuclear missiles at us or something.

In the event it moves towards ultra violence, the only established way to A) hurt Alison that is B) controlled by the government is Cleaver. Which would again make her decision to approach him with kindness relevant and in keeping with the theme because he's less likely to go through with it.

Thinking there is some way completely unestablished way to take her out because you are "absolutely certain" that violence from authority is the solution is completely missing the loving point of the comic. Go read The Boys if you want that.

Opposing Farce posted:

Not gonna lie, I like the thought that there's a glass case in the DoD somewhere labeled "break in case of France."
the DoD has plans for every country in multiple circumstances of goals and alliances. They update them constantly and retarget the nukes and reposition forces every few years as a result of their war gaming possible and likely scenarios. This is a big part of what the DIA is for. We spend about 5 billion a year and employ ~17,000 people doing it

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 2, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

It would be criminally negligent for all the guys whose job was to figure out "Hey, what are we gonna do about all these kids with super powers?" to not actually ever try thinking up what to do about Allison. Even if that was the case, she was recently caught on camera threatening to murder a crowd while the police watched helplessly. Are you seriously suggesting that no one is sufficiently afraid of Allison that they would try to figure out a way to stop her? Have you actually met a human before?

Edit: I suppose it is always possible that they never actually found a way to stop her, though.
Show me the page that establishes that they sat down and figured out how to kill her, and that their solution was of course violence.

Because I can show you several pages that show the government plan to deal with the kids with superpowers was doctors, counselors, and job matching community service. It's a major loving plot point, one that came up yet again about a dozen pages back.

But hey, go ahead and show me the Alison killing plan page. I want to see how it is "absolutely certain"

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

It doesn't have to be Asperger's to justify his behavior. We know he is a manipulative liar who uses his power to then assume the social form that will get him what he wants. We also know that his behavior and statements have gotten Alison to do what he wants - stop pursuing him and leave him free to work towards his other goals.

He could be really off like that - the read on his power could be "using cheat codes to win doesn't mean you are good at the game". But he is at best an unreliable narrator for his actions and the idea that this is him playing Alison is a possibility.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

idonotlikepeas posted:

Yeah, I think that's where they're going with this. If you have the IVS kill people who are clearly not evil, or seem unlikely to be evil, it's a different set of moral problems. You're making a comment on the haphazard nature of vigilantism (and that may yet happen). In this case, the issue at hand is not "should you kill people you think are guilty, some of whom are not", but "should you kill people who are guilty even if the law disagrees". It narrows the questions a bit - one, whether killing people as a punishment is acceptable, two, whether doing so outside the law is acceptable, and three, if the death penalty is acceptable under what circumstances it may be applied. (i.e. Is it okay to have the death penalty for rape?) If you have the IVS killing random innocent people, it gives you an easy out there: of COURSE what she's doing is wrong, duh. If they're actually guilty you have to think about it a bit.

Here's the thing though, the entire way through this the point has been that the idea of the supervillain, the person who is evil in every aspect of their life just to be evil, is bullshit. That horrible, horrible things are done every day by good people for what they think are good reasons. That the source of the problem is a lot more complicated, that you can't punch it away, etc etc etc. This is what Alison has been grappling with for the past 3 chapters.

Yet here we are getting "nope, these people are totally terrible about everything"

It is a complete break from what was one of the prior appeals of the comic, and I think it is throwing a lot of people. It certainly feels off to me.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Huh, I figured PintSized was getting too close to Patrick, wo then messed with his head, not that PintSized started quoting sad boy poetry because the group is breaking up

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

Christ, how are we having this argument again? I know for a fact some of you were posting during the first go-around, and you surely can't have forgotten:

Several people completely miss the point of the panel. Several posters in this very thread have done exactly what Flesh Forge complained about, and absorbed the message that the violence was perfectly justified. Flesh Forge is an idiot, in that he can't seem to understand the basic concept that the audience can sometimes take away a message that is not what the author intended. But he still had... some semblance of a point, that a good number of posters in this thread found Alison's actions perfectly acceptable, and did not glean the tiniest bit of the nuance the author was intending to interject into the scene.

The hilarious part is that FF is also misreading authorial intent, and decided to keep arguing that point after literally being told from the author what the intent was. So that got a good laugh out of me. :v:

Also, in regards to the Rat thing, yeah she did use too much force there as well. But nobody commented on it because the thread was started about two chapters after that whole thing happened, and the Miles situation is what was happening during the first few pages. Plus there's only been a handful of new pages since, so not a whole lot of discussion fodder to move the conversation forward.

One thing I think people keep missing, in various ways, is that creating media is not just a one-and-done. Media is, at the very least, a three-pronged approach. An author has an idea they want to convey, generally with some kind of a point or message. They produce work that encapsulates the message they want to send. (Encoding) And then, most importantly, the audience takes their work, and tries to glean a message from it. (Decoding) At any point in the entire affair, spanners can and do get gummed up in the works. The author may not have a clear message they're trying to send. (Probably not the case here) In the creation of the work, the message the author is trying to send might get muddled, or confused. Or the work might have other issues unrelated to the message being encoded. (This is what I was talking about when I was complaining about how two-dimensional and hamfisted the "bad guys" in this chapter are.) And then the audience will decode the work in their own individual ways. No matter how clear the message, no matter how well-done the media, there will always be some people that flat-out don't get it. That take away a point completely different than what the author intended. Sometimes, this is the author's fault, in this case I think it's almost certainly completely on the viewer end, but no matter the reason the fact is that the message which was intended to be sent did not transmit.

When this happens, you can try to rework your... work, so that it becomes more clearly understood. Or you can try to talk it out with people and explain what they're misunderstanding. But by and large, the most effective method is to ignore the idiots. If a majority of people aren't picking up what you're putting down, you need to take another look at your content. But if a small minority refuses to get your message, and refutes all attempts at explanation, chalk it up as an unavoidable loss and move on. Otherwise you're just feeding the drat trolls. Obviously this lecture is meant for the creator of a work, but it seems like a bit of advice some people in this thread might want to consider taking as well.

I was going to do a response to the arguments here, but really, just read this post by Captain Bravo

a cartoon duck posted:

This, and later on Miles yelling about Allison being a monster, took me right out of the scene. Who would act this aggressively to someone everyone knows is basically in invincible superwoman? Like, I honestly cannot tell if that was meant to add some moral ambiguity or whatever that Allison used an amount of force that tells everyone in the room that she could kill them and there's nothing anyone can do, or that he just talks back to her because he's a bad rape-man and calls her a monster because she's a good guy and that's what bad men do or whatever.

I'm not asking that rapists are written with sympathy or empathy or whatever, it's more that what would have felt like a natural and believable scene suddenly isn't because Allison is there and people talk like she could just kick 'em of the roof like it's no thing but don't act like it? It just made the entire scene feel fabricated and took me out of it is what I am saying.

eh, that was fairly realistic. Ever watch anyone get into it with cops? Doesn't matter how much they can annihilate every aspect of your life, people will scream at them because they don't like being made to feel so powerless and small. Which is another layer to this scene.

a cartoon duck posted:

Maybe before she lifted him up by his throat, sure, but afterwards they ask her not to kill him, Miles mentions the hospital incident and calls her a monster, Violet accuses her of having PTSD and all that. Everyone talks about how her gesture was basically hella-threatening to non-biodynamic people, but they act like she just peppersprayed the guy.
I figure it either has to be they are downplaying it because they are terrified (rightly so) or because they don't appreciate how dangerous she is. Hell, people in this thread don't see what she did as incredibly dangerous, and it was. Even cops are trained not to grab people by the throat like that (its excessive force charges waiting to happen) because of how easy it is to do severe damage to someone like that. Now add in that Alison literally shreds tanks with her bare hands, she trashes infrastructure on accident, and just trying to leave Carver away she ends up trashing the school and park. She applied a level of force so high that there really isn't a metaphor for it in a dangerous way on a hunch in a situation she knew nothing about.

Captain Bravo posted:

Also, don't forget that Alison arrived to the superhero theme party she was specifically invited to by leaping onto the roof like a boss. Everyone watched. Some even took pictures. Maybe this dude has some severe mental retardation or short-term memory loss, but at one point he definitely knew that she was extremely biodynamic, even if he wasn't aware she was Mega-Girl.

Squidster posted:

Shoot, you're right, I had forgotten she mega-jumped her way in there in a splashy way.

I still maintain that there is a common mental disconnect between how dangerous she is and how society perceives her. Allison's talked about it with Feral and Cleaver - how because they look scary, they get treated worse despite Allison easily outshining them both in threat.

I checked the arrival page, he's not there when she shows; I'd expect he was off (I don't know the right verbage here, isolating? finding?) the drunk girl at the time and has no idea who he is talking to.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 18, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Small Frozen Thing posted:

turns out that kinda poo poo is pretty personal for some people, tho?

Authors included a trigger warning for that reason http://monstertag.tumblr.com/post/81358742522/this-upcoming-chapter-of-strong-female-protagonist

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

Alison is most famous as a superhero. She was invited to the costume party. Everyone trusts - well, trusted - her not to hurt people. I'm sure that guy knew who she was, he just didn't think she would actually hurt him, so he wasn't afraid to get aggressive with her.

The moment it became apparent that she'd be willing to hurt him, the tables were turned, and suddenly she's a monster that's too dangerous to be around. The guy and probably his friends were likely seeing it as making sense with the mentioned scene at the hospital, that she's turning into a dangerous lunatic.

Also a valid read, and I won't be surprised if public perception of her changing is part of the long story arc, but I will point out that knowing of a famous person doesn't mean you recognize them when you encounter them .

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

The drunk girl is one of the people taking a picture of Alison. You're right, though, he's not explicitly drawn into the scene, so maybe he somehow missed the biggest event of the party?

poo poo, I didn't think to look for her. Maybe he was somewhere else or maybe he is that loving dumb

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Wittgen posted:

Alison being a bit too wrapped up in herself is an interesting theme of this chapter. Earlier she was checking her phone while in the middle of meeting a guy. Now she's clueless about basic details of lives of people she spent years fighting alongside.

To be fair, Clevin is one boring motherfucker

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Cryophage posted:

He fought Menace and Co. with the team for years. Either enhanced detection and good looks alone are enough to warrant being brought to a giant robot fight, or Brad is packing some additional facet to his ability that we haven't seen yet.

On the page showing the headquarters we saw tanks and artillery and such, someone has to drive that gear.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Well also there is the fact that people don't know how Patrick's abilities really work and the limits on them.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

nimby posted:

Sonar is probably tier one in that he can hear a pin drop during rush hour. Perhaps hear a punch coming and dodge (most of) the blow.

It's just that bullets travel faster than sound.

We actually have no idea what he can do, much less that he can "hear a pin drop during rush hour"

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

Feral's storyline is a shameless ripoff of this comic.

Yeah, but Weinersmith would realize that, while drug based painkillers may not work, just sticking a blade through the spinal cord and leaving it there through the surgery (to induce paralysis so she couldn't feel anything)1 would work.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

A big flaming stink posted:

depends if he actually breaks causality

also i'm pretty sure that the superheros patrick were talking about werent actually tier 1, but their powers could actually meaningfully alter the status quo.

honestly that whole bit with the dead superheroes is probably one of the worst parts of the comic. Oh, a spooky illuminati that can conceal themselves even from the psychic guy managed to kill off all the really important superheroes before they can change the world because...why exactly? Because they're assholes?

it feels like comic book bullshit, for lack of a better term. I try to write it off as the webcomic trying to find its feet and using a poorly written, vaguely antagonistic force to kick off the plot.

Dude if you don't think the people in power regularly murder people who are upsetting the status quo I don't know what to tell you.

They do it to keep things the way they are, to keep milking the gravy train. Hell a lot of times the decisions are made at an abstract plausible deniability level. I doubt Muhtar Kent picks and chooses which union organizer get murdered, which gets tortured, and which gets bribed, but the order to keep things the way they are comes from on high and local thugs get hired and then it's all over but the screaming.

I back the idea Patrick is telling Alison what she wants to hear to manipulate her, but that people in power would start killing kids to keep their market share and relative position is the most plausible thing yet in this comic

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

In this chapter the Guardians learn the difficulties of completing your run after the Tank quits.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Brought To You By posted:

Still sticking to the theory that her ability is telepathic based. But her knife is interesting. It doesn't look like any kind of metal and it's a single continuous material.

Elysiume posted:

Could be ceramic. Ceramic knives hold a really good edge (which is basically required because they're really hard to sharpen) and won't trip metal detectors, which can be useful if you're going on a vigilante killing spree. They're brittle, though--they slice better than they would stab, I imagine.

We saw her growing spikes out of her body just last page.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

I'm guessing the balloons are filled with paint. Hit Moonshadow with one, she's visible.

Also, these guys scream "mercenaries" to me, rather than police or military. Guess we'll see how that shakes out.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

I am wondering how she got so much military ordinance without anyone noticing or raising an eyebrow...

they had tanks and jets at their superhero base, she probably just took a crate from there

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

What guidance counselor does that? I mean huh? "Oh hey there thanks for coming in, I'm going to show you a video about rape murder and arson for no reason then we can sit down and I'll do my job"

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Patrick Spens posted:

That's a funny way of phrasing it, but I'll take a swing at it. Rape is unique in that it is a serious crime that the United States is completely incapable of prosecuting at an acceptable rate. Somewhere around 3 percent of rapes lead to jail time. Again, 32 out of 33 times someone is raped, their perpetrator never serves time. The State is unambiguously failing in its responsibility to investigate and prosecute rape, and in situations where the State is failing so obviously private action becomes much more acceptable. In addition, very few rapists only commit a single offence. Statistically speaking, the people Moonshadow has killed would have gone on to rape many other people.

You know, the US tried doing it that way for a while. We'd wave off the evidentiary requirements for bringing charges and going to trial, because sex crimes were deemed uniquely difficult to prosecute. And when the accused wasn't convicted, or was deemed insufficiently punished, or the justice system was taking too long (or if, like the judge, you were involved in the system not delivering the outcome people had already ordained was to happen) then private action was acceptable. Had to stop the accused before they escalated their activities.

Wonder why we stopped? Wonder what the problem with your idea is even if we ignore why we stopped?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

He expressly told her how he would get people to do what he wanted by telling them what they wanted to hear and playing to their doubts, fears, and impulses; and he got her to let him go free by telling her something that played to her doubts, fears, and impulses.

Dude is the loving villain, and Allison is steadily going Anakin Skywalker here, they are both planning to disrupt society (which is classically what the villain does) the question is what is the end state and if the ends justify the means. This is perfectly keeping not only with the established theme of the comic, but the direction of the chapter - issues of supes using their powers for the state interests, and now they are in trouble because their end goal and methods were fine against the other, but not against the state (Moonshadow effectively nullifying the act of the state by murdering those kids, then murdering actors of the state - the judge and the mercenaries)

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

MikeJF posted:

I mean if I were to get a time machine and determined to change the timeline to better humanity I'd admit I don't know anywhere near enough and employ a large team of historians.

The trick is you don't change the past to improve the present. You change the future to improve the present. And you do that by sending messages, not by going there and doing anything. See, if you can go back, so can a sheet of paper. Or more usefully, an electrical signal. You take the time machine and hook it up to a computer. The results of any process it does can then be sent back into the past, or basically now, no matter how long it would take to model and calculate the results. They talk about "It would take all the supercomputers running for a thousand years to solve this problem!", well now you have that without needing to have the computers or thousand years.

You basically gain perfect precognition - even if it can't be modeled, you can see how things play out and send the message back. Every mystery of math and science becomes instantly known. The economy is basically forced to convert away from its current track- high frequency trading is now defunct, markets are unnecessary (they are a way to handle an NP insufficient information problem, which is now solved), and digital commerce is now all unprotected anyways. The base structure of capitalism just evaporated because all the economic costs are now gone - labor cost is no more because you can send the finished product back, avoidable costs are now avoided, opportunity costs took flight with the 2nd law of thermodynamics, resource cost are gone along with scarcity because you know where it is and can send it back, transport costs are gone because a time machine is a ftl device... you basically get dumped into functional utopian communism by default as unique self actualized services are the only thing the time machine doesn't provide for.

Even if you want to put it down that you can't use it as a way to instantly make any good, then just call forward 50 years and ask for the detailed plans to build a robot, and your labor costs are still gone. Hook a time machine up to a computer and you get an oracle, and with it shatter every underlying, baked in assumption that makes the current status quo.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

idonotlikepeas posted:

So is Patrick genuinely upset here, or is he just trying to distract Alison from what he almost-but-didn't reveal? (My money is on "both".)

He is manipulating her. The guy flat out explained that the way he controlled people is he read their thoughts so he knew what to tell them to get them to willingly do what he wanted. That he is pulling the strings on Alison isn't even subtext, its just text.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

The conspiracy is absolutely real. There's no other way to really explain detailed dossiers about super powered insividuals and eliminating them before anyone knew super powered individuals knew they had super powers. The storm is definitely man made.
unless he fabricated the files

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Warmachine posted:

I love it when Patrick indulges his villain monologues. :swoon:

Really? Because I think it's another part of how the writing has gone straight down the drain in this chapter and the last.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

That has to be the most awkward way to ask "are you a rapist" I have ever seen.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Classtoise posted:

This B-plot overtaking the A-plot is fast eroding any sort of interest I had for this comic or praise I had for the writer.

Holy poo poo, I just want to get back to something interesting. Anything but Patrick whining about why murder is okay but please don't arrest me for it.

We are down at like E or F plot now.

A - overarching plot, how to fix the world
B - plot of this chapter, Mary's murder spree
C - Alison's life and career question, getting a grad advisor
D - intersection of B and C, Alison and her friends and how they act to getting drawn into super powered events
E - what the gently caress is up with Patrick, very loosely tied to C and A.

The need to tie everything together and back on itself is throwing off pacing, training tension created by useful ambiguity, and muddles the whole thing. Yes, every thing matters, but you need to understand the relative strength of who and when you are having signal things, and it is ok to be brief and subtle about it. Particularly since this is a comic and you can do it visually instead of having it spelt out in dialogue.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Yeah that last panel isn't well-conveyed at all. It doesn't look physical, maybe she's chewing him out in her head and he obviously can't avoid it?

She backhanded him into the wall. She pulls him close, he is getting overwhelmed feeling her emotions (he starts crying with her), he pulls "you know nothing Alison Greene", she leans back and raises her arm, he continues mouthing off so she backhands him with the arm she had just raised, last panel both her arms are down having completed the swing and he collides with the wall

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, but Patrick is a telepathic super-genius master manipulator with the accumulative knowledge of multiple lifetimes of geniuses, and Allison is just running rings around him.

Not really. If we were playing chess and in response to your making a series of moves I upended the board, would you say I was running rings around you?

Its beating him in the whole Gordian knot sort of way - when you can't win, change the game. Very different from being a superior player. She can't out talk him or out reason him or out manipulate him, but she can sure as poo poo out intimidate him.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Ok, I'm done.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Basically Something Positive is Questionable Content, but with character growth

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Harime Nui posted:

The actual punchline of this arc is the main girl having to learn this total rear end in a top hat is untouchable by the law and she can't do poo poo about it

What crime has he committed?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Harime Nui posted:

No I mean, if the Flame Dude killed the serial killer and got a tickertape parade, and Allison knows he actually killed a troubled young woman but the public loves him and she has to eat that. It's where I'd take the story but I'm not writing it.

Ok so he hasn't broken any law, its just your fan fiction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

It occurs to me, that maybe he raped her.

That would be the most insipid, hackneyed poo poo possible

It is totally what will turn out to be the case

• Locked thread