Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Error 404 posted:

No, this is just android humor.

So they are being funny, they just suck at it from our point of view.

You notice I said more sense, right? Like, yes, that is the explanation that is given, but if it later turns out that Paladin has installed morality chips in all the previously homocidal robots, it would make more sense that their jokes would be about killing you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Hollismason posted:

she's also replaced her leg with a robotic one, etc.

This is the most stupid argument I have ever heard.

"She lost a leg? And instead of using an ordinary prosthesis, the woman who builds loving robots replaced it with a robot one? Well, obviously she must really want to be a robot. That's the only possible conclusion to draw here."

:allears:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Captain Bravo posted:

I'm actually wondering if Paladin has a dark past. All her work is based around robotics, and so far the only robots we've seen in the story are the killbots used by Templar.

It would be interesting if she was one of the people Patrick had following him, and she decided to flip sides with a new identity after he abandoned the organization. It would also make the robots offering to tear off arms and hand out poison make a lot more sense...

I can't tell whether the fact that the artist poked fun at people who didn't get this means I should be less smug, or incredibly more so. :smuggo:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Right, what I'm saying is that I'm the only person in the thread who suggested a connection between Paladin and Templar. My confusion is whether it was so immediately obvious that nobody else bothered to point it out, or whether out of everyone in this thread I'm the only one who wasn't enthralled by the "Paladin must be a terrible boss" conversation long enough to put together the dots.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Well, poo poo. :smugjones:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Fried Chicken posted:

He expressly told her how he would get people to do what he wanted by telling them what they wanted to hear and playing to their doubts, fears, and impulses; and he got her to let him go free by telling her something that played to her doubts, fears, and impulses.

You're ignoring the possibility that he told Paladin the exact thing that would cause her to leave his organization, by preying on her doubts, fears, and impulses.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

In all seriousness, though, the biggest problem Paladin has faced so far has been AI's killing themselves. A sentient being trapped inside a body that doesn't work kind of sounds like the kind of thing that would make it really want to format itself!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Tenebrais posted:

Giving it some aversion to actions that will damage itself would be a good move too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ-ggzfdsMs

:allears:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Just asking, but have we seen any evidence of moonshadow's knife being anything other than... a normal knife? Like, an ornate one, ok. But everyone keeps saying it's "super sharp", and I don't think I remember any scenes of her hacking apart steel beams or stabbing through bulletproof glass with it or anything. She just slits people's throats, or stabs them.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Jackard posted:

Asking/Pact/Contract is clearly not a requirement, if it ever was.

Well... I wonder what the odds are of drunk girl putting the hit on Miles? Her roommates did say she makes bad decisions...

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

It's a variation of "Cleavon" which is a slightly less rare English name.

Oh poo poo, Clevin and Cleavor are the same person.

Just give it some thought. :v:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Holy poo poo, I just figured it out. I just realized why Alison is being so cagey here.

She doesn't know if Moonshadow is killing people on government orders.

That's why she's so interested in what the government knows, that's why she wants to know if they've confronted her. And what they're saying just feeds into her fears, because she knows Mary was at the scene, so if she's being told, "Oh, we checked her out, she's good" then she has to believe they're covering for her. And that means (In her mind) that the government is using Mary as an assassin. Which would seemingly corroborate Patrick's whole spiel about how the government uses biodynamics for their own purposes, and kills people that get on it's bad side.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

No, I'm not saying that Moonshadow is working for the government.

I'm saying that Alison thinks she is working for the government.

As omniscient narrators, we know that Mary is doing this on her own, we know that she's just gone unhinged, and is no longer working for Uncle Sam.

But all Alison knows is that her previous teammate, who was not homicidal, continued working for the government after she left. She also knows that the government started sending them on missions no longer dealing with Biodynamics, but on more mundane poo poo. Then the guardians are disbanded, all of a sudden this invisible slasher appears, and the government doctor is telling her the woman she knows is doing it, can't be the one responsible.

There's a bunch of different ways she could think about this. Maybe the government is trying to stir up another biodynamic scare so they can reinstate the guardians? Maybe they're testing out their new invisible assassin? Maybe they're setting up previous invisible slasher kills so they can justify their next hit on a government target? Patrick has already filled her head with the idea that their government does some shady, underhanded poo poo with biodynamics. She's seen some of the ugly side of that already, and she knows that things got worse when she left.

It's like a Magic Eye puzzle. Now that I've seen it, I can't unsee it.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Brought To You By posted:

I don't follow the theory that Moonshadow is building up to some political assassination

Really? That's what you thought I was saying? That Moonshadow is about to stab the president? Christ, D- for reading comprehension. :rolleyes:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

The Modern Leper posted:

This is also, basically, the plot of a Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal comic

One of my favorite ones, incidentally.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

McSpanky posted:

I tried to follow his line of reasoning to put a single face to Western exploitation of other continents for the express purpose of chattel slavery, and my offhand answer was "kill Christopher Columbus", so I guess he's got a point.

Oh man, this just reminded me of an absolutely terrible book I read when I was younger.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

jsoh posted:

show up 2 hours before the premier of empire strikes back and tell everyone who lukes father is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neuMyI8M5fc

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

AnonSpore posted:

Was this terrible book by Orson Scott Card

Yyyyyep. I read Ender's Game, thought "That book was awesome!" and so I grabbed the next book I could find by Card and... :smith:

Even better, I managed to convince myself it must have been a fluke, and wasted time/money reading the stupid sequels and prequels to Ender's Game too. :doh:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

People do poo poo regardless of the punishments for a lot of reasons. If there's even a chance that you might not get caught, a lot of people will do it because the human mind is exceptionally bad at understanding, weighing, and processing statistics. And given the fact that it would take our intrepid trio loving 1000 years to hit everyone on earth, there's a pretty loving high chance that you can do whatever the hell you want and not get caught, or get caught decades later which is basically the same thing to an impulsive, young person. Even if he limits himself to criminal suspects, which just opens up an enormous goddamn can of worms in of itself.

tl;dr: Your idea is bad, and you should feel bad.:v:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

ArchangeI posted:

Modern history extends back to the 16th century, and believe me when I say the US government has a lot of catching up to do.

Oh give me a loving break, obviously he means within the last few generations. Christ, you're like the guy who hears someone say "They decimated 'em!" and says "Oh, so they killed one tenth of them? :smuggo: :spergin:"

Jeez.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Naw, see, he wants to be the perfect boyfriend, and give Alison everything she wants. It's just that she tends to solve her problems in a straightforward manner, and so when he read her mind and got "I really wish I had a problem I could just punch right now", well...

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

In the mood to make a canoe out of bark? Go buck wild, it's cool.

Cool, thanks!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

She's going to fly to a meeting of Brad's support group where Paladin will bust in with her robots looking for Templar, Mary will appear to stab Paladin, and get shot by Patrick, who says something cool and whitty and Alison scoops him up and flies off into the sunset. Three pages, chapter done.

(Alternatively, it will continue for another 80 pages, and officially become longer than every other chapter put together)

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Wittgen posted:

I guess it goes to show the importance of having a narrative arc.

Strong Female Page Editor

Edit: Or, alternatively

Strong Female Producer

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

idonotlikepeas posted:

And beating Furnace verbally is basically like winning an argument with a monkey, so I'm hoping something else is going on here.

You're right, they're probably just going to hurl handfuls of poo poo at each other.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Say Nothing posted:

Allison probably won't be ending up in a physical fight with Furnace

So then, you think she'd end up in a firefight with him?

:smugdog:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Zerilan posted:

Furnace just catches on fire really easily since he's made of straw.

:thurman:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

How about "Strong Female Protagonist: The Human Torch is made of straw"

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Atmus posted:

Maybe because lol comics, but 'realistically' she's still only like 130lbs with the same terminal velocity as any other person of the same size and weight. She'd get up and walk away from it, but she shouldn't do any more damage than someone that fell out of a plane would. Invincibility shouldn't affect aerodynamics or gravitational acceleration, so she shouldn't be able to break 120-130mph unpropelled.

The problem isn't aerodynamics or gravity, the problem is her invincibility. When a person falls out of a plane and hits the ground, the shock of impact is absorbed by their body. Allison is invincible, so all the shock of the impact is transferred outwards. Look at what happens when she jumps out of a first-story window. Now imagine that at terminal velocity. She won't be nuking any cities, but she'll gently caress some building's day up.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Ok guys, I'm not talking about the window she punched a guy through then jumped out, I'm talking about the small crater she's standing in after she hits the ground from jumping out the window she punched a guy through. I didn't think that needed to be specifically pointed out, but I guess I underestimated the :spergin: in this thread.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Uhh... she is invisible. She can just walk onto a plane and take an empty seat or stand around somewhere out of the way.

Edit: Plus, as we've just seen, she has a decoy rigged in her apartment so it seems like she's there all the time.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Hypocrisy posted:

Moonshadow, also not wanting to die from being too close to an explosion or shrapnel instead grabbed the bomb and threw it. She still got with some shrapnel/got affected by the blast though.

This is the stupid part, right here. Running forward to grab an armed bomb, instead of running away from it. If you strap a bomb to someone, you do not grab that bomb when they stupidly arm it.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Is this the real life? Or is it just fantasy?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Rei_ posted:

het fuel cant melt steel beams

I like Mary's powers, and the clever ways that we've seen her use them! :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Rei_ posted:

this is like a bad scooby doo movie where they unmask the groundskeeper after the big chase but then like oh no, the Headless Hash Slinging Slasher was totally real because ghosts and magic are real and Velma's like hold up we need to unpack th- CREDITS

Would you say it has an almost improvisational tone?

• Locked thread