Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tenebrais posted:

Alison might not have had the best approach to the problem, but she was certainly doing a lot better than everyone else at the party.

In that she noticed the problem and approached it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Phylodox posted:

And I'm fairly certain the statistics only shake out to 50/50 if you include prison rape

They do indeed.

I don't see much point about speculating on Miles' intents. It's quite clear that Allison's reading of the situation was entirely accurate and her reaction was justified. Trying to find flaws in her attitude or interpretation of the events seems to be wanting to read this chapter into an analysis of her character flaws, which do not seem to be the intent of this chapter to me. I'd rather wager we're getting a contrast set up between her and the invisible stalker from earlier.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Phylodox posted:

I also really don't think that one dude in the convenience store was innocent, either. Strong Female Protagonist seems way too genre and issue savvy to pull a false rape accusation twist. I think (hope) it's more likely they're trying to show (which is reinforced by the Miles scene) that not all rapists are remorseless dudebro back-slappers, but despite being thinking, feeling, regretful human beings, they're still rapists.

Did anyone say he was innocent? The sordid details are thankfully not part of the story, but at best he was complicit. He was remorseful (which makes him less horrible than his friends) but that shows he had a reason to be remorseful.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The vigilante throat-slasher is a young woman, you see her silhouette here.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Pavlov posted:

If it was a real criminal trial, the judge didn't actually decide if the boys were innocent or not, the jury did.

It's too soon to assume the members of the jury aren't on the list.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Flesh Forge posted:

I feel really stupid for this to take so long to occur to me to ask but, why does the invisible throat cutting person kill the judge anyway? What about the jury? The judge just determines the sentence, he doesn't deliver the verdict.

And, again, why do you assume she's not going after the jury as well? Chapter is not over yet. :unsmigghh:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

idonotlikepeas posted:

I'm not saying that people in France don't know who Superman is... but they know he's an American, too.

What need do they have of Superman when they have the infinitely superior Superdupont?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Atmus posted:

You know, Hector could take a few medical courses, familiarize himself with cancer, and actually literally destroy every single cancerous cell in someone's body.

That would probably take a long time and be boring though, so I guess he's better off building stuff out of Legos and then shrinking down to minifigure size to have fun with it.

He's probably seen the movie and played the game already.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

thatbastardken posted:

Moonshadow may have set this up to murder these guys or get some info out of them - the leader mentions working for Templar.

They put a "weak point" balloon on their chest and their guns are equipped with dummy rounds. They're obviously mercenaries and they've apparently been hired to pretend-fight against their client.

The guy does mention having worked for Templar before, but always refused jobs involving psychics. "I wouldn't even take those contracts with Templar, let alone this freelance poo poo" -- in other words, he sees working for Templar as better than freelance gigs, but even for Templar he wouldn't do psychic stuff. The "I wouldn't even do x, let alone y" always has y as a worse case of x, because you're rejecting doing y specifically by saying that you wouldn't even do the lesser evil that is x.

If Moonshadow wanted info from them, given that they're mercenaries and she hired them, she could have bought the info from them. So either it's indeed just practice, or if she does want to kill them she used the contract as a trap to lure them in. If it was meant to be a trap, it has the drawback of leaving a paper trail.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Poison Mushroom posted:

All you people saying she's going through all these stupid hoops just to kill some mooks should be supervillians. And never, ever be writers.

I'm gonna quote that if she ends up killing them.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Poison Mushroom posted:

Please do. If I am proven wrong, and her killing them ends up happening, AND well-executed, I will eat all the crow I deserve.

But I'm pretty sure that's not what's going to happen. It's just far too much of a detour and pacing slowdown just to accomplish "yes, Moonshadow is evil".

I haven't said anything about it being well-executed.

This chapter's going to be #KillAllMen: the webcomic.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Basically, this. If violence has to be committed, it has to be done so by the state, in a legally sanctioned way, with rules governing how it is applied.

Moonshadow's being a murderous vigilante, but it's okay because all her victims magically deserve it, what with being rapists, abusers, and supposedly war criminals (this last assertion being presented only as a "tell, don't show" exposition from Moonshadow herself about just one of her latest batch of victims).

The storytelling itself seems undecided between "Moonshadow's right" and "Moonshadow's wrong". There's some sort of criticism of vigilante justice notably in Moonshadow's rant about how nobody complained when she was violent against other superpowered people, but at the same it's implied all of her victims deserved it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ChairMaster posted:

Due process is kind of a failed idea, though. These are all people who got away with the poo poo they do and would have continued to do so in perpetuity. The American justice system is fuckin useless, and relying on it to make the world a better place is outright foolish.

Moonshadow's doing way more to make the world a better place than Allison is.

The guy who said "it is better to risk saving a guilty person than to condemn an innocent one" was clearly a doodiehead and a moron.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Captain Oblivious posted:

You think that's unrealistic?

I call bullshit on any media outlet giving that much effort to present the rape victim's side of the story. Completely unrealistic.

Maybe that's why he went all "oh god you've got to watch this".

idonotlikepeas posted:

Sadly, this is correct. Also, yes, this guy is a total douche. Based on the presentation and Alison's expression, I'm pretty sure we're supposed to think he's a total douche, too.

Hovertext: "Today we have our first cameo appearance, of a backer who was super generous in our Kickstarter - cheers, Ken!"

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Poison Mushroom posted:

In retrospect, what was the point of the last, like, ten pages? "She's got superpowers, she's crazy, and she kills rapists"? We knew that. A few weeks ago, I said there was no way this scene was going to just be her killing them and still work as a competent, coherent addition to the narrative.

I stand by that statement, these last few pages feel pretty pointless.

Seems like a good time to keep my promise.

Poison Mushroom posted:

All you people saying she's going through all these stupid hoops just to kill some mooks should be supervillians. And never, ever be writers.

Cat Mattress posted:

I'm gonna quote that if she ends up killing them.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Please do. If I am proven wrong, and her killing them ends up happening, AND well-executed, I will eat all the crow I deserve.

But I'm pretty sure that's not what's going to happen. It's just far too much of a detour and pacing slowdown just to accomplish "yes, Moonshadow is evil".

Cat Mattress posted:

I haven't said anything about it being well-executed.

This chapter's going to be #KillAllMen: the webcomic.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

McSpanky posted:

Forget killer robot tropes, workers that never complains about their job conditions, don't get paid and never have to go home or take time time off would still be a pretty big game-changer.

Robots do complain about their work conditions. The difference is that human workers call their complaints "strikes" or "protests" while robot workers call their complaints "errors" or "malfunctions".

I remember this anecdote about a small factory owner, the workers complained about how the dust and smoke made them constantly sick and they wanted better ventilation with filters and stuff. That would have been expensive, though, so the boss preferred to invest even more money to replace most of the workforce with industrial robots. The machines didn't complain about the dust in the air. Instead, their fans got clogged, and they overheated, and their electronics fried, and they stopped working and better ventilation with filters had to be installed anyway.

And don't believe for one minute that robots don't get paid. Sure, the robots themselves don't get paid, but they have operating and maintenance costs nonetheless, which can be quite high depending on the robot. And their software might need a yearly license fee... There would certainly be a hefty one for a Turing-capable AI like those displayed in the comic. You're still paying, just not the same person.

Just look at computers. You may need less personnel to handle accounting and files now that it's greatly automated, but on the other hand you have an IT department and you're paying software fees to Microsoft or whatever to use those computers. And there's a budget for replacement parts and regular upgrades.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 19, 2014

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I can see the appeal of consciousness upload if you get out of an accident with something like locked-in syndrome and your only remaining mean of social interaction is blinking your left eye, but otherwise it just seems stupid and creepy.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Wittgen posted:

it could make people effectively immortal

That's the creepy part. The people who want to be immortal the most -- and who are willing to invest fortunes instead of treating it just as an absurd daydream -- are generally the kind of people that, for the greater good of the rest of mankind, should die the soonest.

Just try to imagine how the world would be today if it was still ruled by the people who were kings a millennium ago. Correlate that with social progress that only happened because the prejudices of an older generation died out with them.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Error 404 posted:

The transhuman thing isn't about her prosthetic, it's the attitude demonstrated in all her murals (except this last one), coupled with the behavior she demonstrates towards those she sees as lesser, which lead me to the conclusion that she's being written like a friendlier version of the same irl hardcore libertarian transhumanism that plagues the tech industry and silicon valley.

Her whole spiel about batteries and lightbulbs makes a 180° on IRL libertarianism, which is an ideology entirely based on making GBS threads on the useless "batteries" and claiming that "lightbulbs" need no one else in the world.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

thatbastardken posted:

man it's just like being trapped in a conversation with a person you admire who keep talking poo poo about one of your friends, and you don't know how to defend them without revealing that you are friends. awkward

The only one who believes Menace has really reformed is the dumb and naive protagonist, and that's because she was convinced by a smooth-talker who could read her mind to find in it what would convince her.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Captain Bravo posted:

You're ignoring the possibility that he told Paladin the exact thing that would cause her to leave his organization, by preying on her doubts, fears, and impulses.
Because that would be dumb.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Wittgen posted:

If the AI is baked into the hardware, it might make it very difficult to duplicate itself and very easy to kill.

You can still choose not to plug the arms and legs in for the first few tests.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Jackard posted:

Media believes the slasher is either invisible or psychokinetic, the best they can spin Alison is as an accomplice.

"I'm not sure you need any more bad press!"

If the media start speculating that the invisible slasher might be Allison's former teammate...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Wyld Karde posted:

Well that's one way to check the room for invisible murderers. Nice bit of improvisation there, Alison.

Only works if the power is limited to superpowered person only, and does not extend to what they wear... And it doesn't seem like the knife was visible. So really it's just a way to make plaster dust turn invisible.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Note that she's poking holes in the tk theory.

On the other hand, she isn't poking the biggest hole she could (without naming anyone): that she saw a silhouette with her crushed plaster trick, and body-blocked an invisible person. Clevin is witness to both these things.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Slashrat posted:

I kinda reminds me of the character "Amber" from PS238. She was basically invulnerable as well by virtue of having a literal guardian spirit that blocked any attempt to harm her.

And one time something temporarily weakened this invisible protector and she caught a cold that nearly killed her because her natural immune system is pretty crap and the guardian spirit had recovered by then and was actively "protecting" her against medical drugs..

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Soonmot posted:

I'm going to be too busy watching the original Star Wars in theaters opening night.

EDIT: Jaws, Alien and Raiders, too.

I'd insert subliminal Dickbutts in all these movies.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ArchangeI posted:

As shown by the murder rate in the US, which is a solid 0 because of the death penalty.

There's two factors to deterrence:
1. Likelihood of getting caught
2. Severity of the punishment

Death penalty is pretty much thee most severe punishment you can have (without going into cruel and unusual territory at least), but if you figure you're going to get away with your crimes anyway it doesn't matter. But if you have a near-certainty of getting caught, then even a relatively mild sentence like three years of jail or a big fine can be enough. So basically do the teleport+mindread thing, but only do it for crime suspects. That'll reduce your workload by a lot and you could theoretically keep up with it if you limit yourself to a small state/country instead of trying to cover the entire world.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Captain Oblivious posted:

Pretty sure we proved like almost a decade ago that "severity of punishment" doesn't actually really play a meaningful role in deterrence. The death penalty doesn't deter people by any statistically significant amount.

If punishment becomes so severe as to cross a threshold where you've got nothing to lose anymore, yes.

But look at something like fraud. Say you've got to pay $50 for something, and if you fraud and don't pay the fine if you get caught is only $30.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also, calling the U.S. one of the bloodiest governments in modern history is a bit much.

Spoken like someone who has never read Dick Cheney's mind.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

thatbastardken posted:

Not buying it. What's his game here? If he was going to taunt Allison into a blind rage he wouldn't do it to her face. Dude's trying to cover up something.

"Not when I'm so close to..."
"So close to what?"
"Hey, look at the time! I gotta monologue about a lot of poo poo that will completely take your mind out of what I just said!"

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So did she headbutt him or what? The action is so poorly conveyed.

Seriously, I have no idea what's causing the WHOOMPH. Is it Allison? Logically it should be her since there's nothing else besides her and Patrick in that panel. But her posture isn't the posture of someone who just dealt a blow...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cryophage posted:

What exactly was Patrick's game plan going into this?

He pretty much had none.

He didn't invite Alison with the goal of making her mad; making her mad was just a panic reaction when she started making him uncomfortable.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

idonotlikepeas posted:

"Why couldn't you just duck", she asks
And we know the answer: he couldn't duck because it was a rabbit cup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-k5J4RxQdE

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Say Nothing posted:

Strong Female Possum.

That's a webcomic:
http://www.poppy-opossum.com/

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tollymain posted:

i hope furnace is going to kill somebody

Me too.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rei_ posted:

It's basically Something Positive with super powers and a lot less attempted humour at this point

Something loving Positive

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Molybdenum posted:

What's with the close shot of his face going moonshadow-y

He's been Moonshadow in disguise all along.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ManlyGrunting posted:

As it stands it's sort of without nuance.
I don't know, I find that "men are bad, unless they have cancer or a bat's head" is pretty nuanced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

thatbastardken posted:

ugh why are all these nazis so racist and evil, what a crop of strawmen amiright?

A story in which you show ordinary people going on with committing atrocities pretty much just because that's where they've been led to and they're just following orders will have a very different tone from one where you show a bunch of hiveminded mustache-twirling clones committing the same atrocities while laughing evilly about how evil they are, bwahahah.

• Locked thread