Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

MarksMan posted:

Curious as to what the Goon world would have to say about this. The below statement was posted by an FB friend who is pretty much a radical Black Panther type who thinks most whites are devils and out to get them. I say this not based on this one post, but on hundreds of others over the last few years. Most of his friends on FB are the same, as you can tell by the responses. Am I delusional to think that this would not have enough support in the 21st century USA to actually gain traction?

"If whites had the chance, by morning slavery would be back with a vengeance......and they would make sure it lasted for all eternity this time

YAY OR NAY?"

As it is, the prison system is basically just slavery 2.0

Make up bullshit reasons to send minorities to jail and then hire them out for 15 cents an hour as physical labor. Boom. You've re-invented the idea of slavery.

Now, bringing slavery back as it was previously? No. I kind of doubt it. Slavery is bad, has been ingrained into our school system. Which is why the prison system formed. It's not slavery, it's what happens when you break the law. And you can break the law by doing just about anything nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

MarksMan posted:

They are under many delusions. We are the white devils. "We" are holding them back, "we" are supplying all the drugs in the hood, "we" want to keep them down and have vast, elaborate, long-ranging conspiracies to do so.

I'm sort of hesitant to agree with this.

It smacks of 'whitesplaining'. There is still racism, there is still an emphasis on keeping black people down. You can't just say 'Oh there's no more racism in the system that was *built* by racist pricks, and therefore has racism in the very foundation'.

I think I found a good way to describe it. White people cannot be victims of racism. Not to any comparable level to blacks, because they've been the oppressors for so long, and because the system is built to arbitrarily favor them. They can be victims of prejudice, but that's about it.

Unfortunately the only way to change the system is slowly via protests and refusal to take this poo poo. Short of a bloody revolution, that's basically the only way to go without beating your head against a wall, and even then its not a sure thing. As it is protesters are more often than not just considered to be rioters under a different name, and the cops react accordingly.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
E: Whoops, sorry Enbot. I mistook you for someone else.

Look, the thing is that its not 'just as racist'. Prejudiced? Maybe. But y'know what, I'd be more inclined to believe it's just as racist in a truly non-racist system without any racism hidden in the cracks of the foundation.

Think of it as a house that was once made of wood, then got re-designed to be out of brick. But there's still wood in the house. It's still there. Festering. Rotting. And it's going to be a lot of work to get that wood out.

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 14, 2014

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

ThirdPartyView posted:

Emden - unless enbot is a parachute account or something.

Aha, That'd explain it. Sorry enbot, mistaken identity. :doh:

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

computer parts posted:

It's pretty clear that racism of sorts existed pre-Enlightenment. The story of the Good Samaritan is literally "this guy is one of the good ones" to a racist audience.

I always thought it was 'Don't let your ego get too inflated or else they'll be nicer than you are and you'll end up looking bad in front of God'.

Though then again God ended up killing the good Samaritan because he dared to try and stop the ark from falling over, and thereby touched the ark, so :shrug:.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

EA Sports posted:

My father works in shirt printing in florida and was asked by his boss one day to pick up shirts from a different shop down near miami. He said when he got there you could see prison bars on these little rooms that looked like they kept there workers in. He also noticed the spanish workers hands were cuffed to where they were working.

Did he report it to the police? 'cause...that sounds like a slave run labor camp.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

OneEightHundred posted:

See above. Report it = Get deported.

Chains holding them to tables means that they're being treated as slaves. Reporting it and getting them deported seems to be the nicer thing to do simply because then they won't be loving *slaves*.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Arkane posted:

And FYI, 50 or whatever posts later, it's still baseless! The closest you have come to substantiating it is "I met a bunch of people and they all hate Obama because he's black." Not exactly what you said, but fairly close. I feel bad for you just re-typing that.

Okay then, *you* explain why Obama is the president that the republican controlled congress has basically refused to do anything.

You explain why Obama is the first president to have a white congressman jump up, and shout 'You lie!' when he sat there for Reagan trying his best to not admit to committing high treason.

You explain why Obama is the first president to have a congressman outright come out and say 'Its our job to make sure he's a one term president'.

You explain why Obama is so often Hung in effigy, in the manner of lynching and be sure to explain how that's totally not any sort of racism whatsoever, completely disregarding the idea of lynching and how it was basically the go to way of killing black people.

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jun 16, 2014

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

You are correct, I re-read his original post. Though from his mannerisms after said original post, it seems to suggest that's what he believes....But you're right, I shouldn't go trying to stick words in his mouth that he hasn't said yet. My apologies.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Genocide Tendency posted:

Because he is a democrat. If it were Hillary, they would still be saying the same thing. If it were some random white dude, take a wild guess what the republicans would say.

But by all means, keep lying to your self and believing that racism and not retarded "they aren't batting for my political team" is why these happen.

And the reason that these things didn't happen before with white democratic presidents is because. . . ?

And I'm reasonably certain that if Hillary had been elected, they wouldn't be trying to imply she was born in Kenya.

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jun 16, 2014

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Genocide Tendency posted:

Right..

Because they didn't cry to impeach Clinton when he got caught lying about a bj from an intern.

That never happened............

Which is not the same thing as the right literally acting like Obama is an uppity ni urban who needs to be put in his place. That's getting into a moral outrage because they have to loving pander to the religious right or else they lose their entire demographic.

drat, the database is giving me issues. I'll have to table this for now.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Yea, almost all of those "patriot" groups are utterly nonviolent and noncriminal dumb as they are so I'm not sure what the scary graph is supposed to mean lumping them in with militias. Hell even most "militias" are just 5 redneck guys who really love guns hanging out with eachother and two of them are undercover fbi agents there looking out for trouble. We've had those crazy militia types since the country was formed and they pull some poo poo every now and then but your chance of being harmed by any of those people is the same as ever, vanishingly small. They are completely infiltrated by the fbi and thats a good thing fyi before I get accused of loving militias.

Yup. It's a good thing that nobody could look at them and think that their rhetoric, even if they have no intention of ever following up, is totally the right thing to do.

Oh wait.

Kind of odd that 2 people that were obviously fans of the Tea Party, what with the Gadsden flag, could also have been raging white supremacists.

How does the saying go? Not all Republicans are racist, but all racists are republican? I think that's it.

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 16, 2014

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Sorry for taking your words at face value. :shrug:

Its the internet, and someone literally was advocating for the act of cannibalism regarding the rich. You're the type of person who looked at 'A Modest Proposal' and thought it was 100% legit, and could not at all be a satirical paper pointing out how lovely the poors have it.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

natetimm posted:

Yes those people are assholes, but they aren't representative of an entire race or even a majority of it.

"Not all White People."

Its a bit like the poo poo that happened with #YesAllWomen.

No, not all white people are racist, but all black people have, sometime in their life, been the subject of racism and prejudice that has stopped them from doing something they wanted to do, or impacted their life in some way. Congrats, you're making the same arguments as MRAs whenever anything about misogyny is said.

natetimm posted:

Except that's not "it". It's being told to shut the gently caress up and don't ask questions because you're white.

When you ask questions, and don't immediately try and make it all about you, as in "Isn't that racist against me, a white person? Well that's just terrible and just as bad as the racism shown to you your entire life."

Then yeah, I can see your point.

Unfortunately your questions and everything else seems to be more "B-b-b-but my straight white male privilege doesn't exist, after all bad things happen to me too." and a denial of the fact that yes, You have it much better than black people, and that you and your family has in fact, benefited from racism in some way or another.

I'm not saying you have to pay for the sins of your forefathers, just at least stop and loving think: "Is this question or statement I'm making to someone about how they've been oppressed, going to be trying to put myself in the center of attention and marginalizing their experiences?"

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

soundnthefury posted:

I was just curious what makes these people especially bad compared to fringe sorts found everywhere else. The constant bemoaning of Tumblr sorts and the accusations of white guilt seem like people combining hipster accusations of trying to be cooler than everyone with essentially being a race traitor. The people claiming that minorities shouldn't be excluding people based on gender, race, or sexual preference should be against guilt by association in all forms, right? How do you know what these people are engaging in politically away from the Internet and why are their detractors extended the benefit of doubt in their potential tone arguments and concern-trolling?

(I get that there is a lot of navel-gazing going on, but it's getting to be like the bemoaning re:LF in regards to leftist posters here.)

9/10 times, tumblr is not as bad as SA claims.

It's just that that 10th time that we get people who claim they're trans-ethnic other/otaku/myth-kin that are also spirits and reincarnations of tragic heros/heroines and if you act like that's not a 'big deal' because seriously, it isn't. They'll tell you to 'check your normal privilege' or some BS and all their friends who are just like them agree and say how terrible a person you are and then get into a :circlefap:

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

natetimm posted:

It's funny you mention center of attention because I'm pretty sure that's the core of the issue, not race politics or social justice.

Well at least you're able to admit that you're just after attention, that's a start.

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 20, 2014

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

natetimm posted:

How do you know it's a he? Misogynist.

Do you even stop and read what you write before you post it? Are you loving five?

At first you sounded like someone who didn't know what he was talking about pretending he totally knows what he's talking about, and now you sound like a petty idiot trying to oneup someone else. Jesus H Christ. Sit down, stop chewing your foot vigorously, take it out of your mouth, and shut up. You said something stupid. We've all done that. Just own up to it and it'll be forgotten. Though if your red text is any hint, that's not going to happen.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

natetimm posted:

Bro it's really not cool to red text-shame people.

So that's a yes then? You are in fact five years old? 'Cause that's the level of intellect and maturity I'm seeing here.

Welp, Any hint of anybody ever taking your argument seriously has pretty much evaporated. Now it's just time to sit back and watch. :munch:

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 20, 2014

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
Time for Louis CK to explain it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG4f9zR5yzY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

natetimm posted:

I agree, and you wouldn't believe the amount of poo poo and right-wing garbage I had to wade through to get them. However, if you're going to assert that every case of claimed racism is valid until proved otherwise, you end up wearing these crazy fuckers as an albatross around your neck willingly. Don't get me wrong, I know assholes are going to try and hang it there anyway, but ascribing to absolutes like that just plays into it. Knowing that institutional racism exists is not the same as being able to safely say every accusation of racism occuring everywhere is valid. Every instance deserves to stand on its own merit and be judged fairly.

#NotallWhitePeople

• Locked thread