Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
i like good games, but somehow i completely missed this coming out, never hear about it. i got it recently, and am working on getting SS ranks on everything

in the game, you run and jump, and smack enemies to replenish your double jump/air dash, and also running on a wall or ceiling will give you a burst of speed, so that you can always go fast, and keep going fast. it's sort of like what i always wanted a sonic game to be, and what they could have been, if there was ever a genuinely great sonic game

i don't think of myself as a platformer fan or a speedrunner, but i like this one a lot, so maybe you will too, if you enjoy things that are good

for reference i also liked: hotline miami, and riven: the sequel to myst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dust force can be pretty loving hard. But I enjoyed it while I was playing it.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
yeah prepare to have your poo poo pushed in by the levels behind those red key doors.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

here is a screenshot to flesh out the OP :)

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

SeXReX posted:

yeah prepare to have your poo poo pushed in by the levels behind those red key doors.

i tried yotta and it feels like i just started the game again, by how bad i am at it

did i really beat hideout, abyss, and core temple...to end up here....

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Tarranon posted:

i tried yotta and it feels like i just started the game again, by how bad i am at it

did i really beat hideout, abyss, and core temple...to end up here....

oh man abyss. I think I spent 3 straight hours trying to SS that.

gently caress backup shift too

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

if someone asked me "what are the 3 2d platformers that look the coolest when someone good is playing" the answer would be dustforce 3 times.

people do SS all levels in a single segment. let that sink in.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
i love dustforce

the best part is going back and wrecking the no key / silver levels after you know what the hell you're doing.

and the soundtrack. the soundtrack is amazing.

e: to gush a little more, dustforce is a game about getting good at video games. the difficulty progression and level design (easier levels teaching specific concepts about movement, harder levels fleshing out those concepts and chaining them into fully-formed experiences) is maybe the best i've ever seen.

But Rocks Hurt Head fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jun 17, 2014

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
here's the full soundtrack on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_B8ekeZTCM

here's the album which is honestly worth buying if you don't own it through a humble bundle or something:
http://lifeformed.bandcamp.com/album/fastfall

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

e: to gush a little more, dustforce is a game about getting good at video games. the difficulty progression and level design (easier levels teaching specific concepts about movement, harder levels fleshing out those concepts and chaining them into fully-formed experiences) is maybe the best i've ever seen.

Getting the timing right for the dashes onto and off of slopes on park felt so good.

some of the people who stream it play their own music instead of the soundtrack and thats just wrong

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

i love dustforce

the best part is going back and wrecking the no key / silver levels after you know what the hell you're doing.

and the soundtrack. the soundtrack is amazing.

it is a weird comparison to make, but the level design and difficulty progression genuinely feels like learning an instrument. or, erm, learning rockband let's say

especially because the difficulty and focus on getting SS rank actually makes you understand exactly why you're winning and losing, and the length of some of the levels ensures you've actually mastered the skills you need to move on, as opposed to other "hard" games where you can just keep trying and eventually get lucky and progress (like dark souls, to an extent, but that game is waaaay too slow for me to want it to be any different)

so before you know it, if you play long enough, you're amazingly good at dustforce, because it teaches you so well. when i first ran into hideouts, it took me twenty minutes to just beat the level, and i thought that that was probably the level that i would just never SS because i don't have the patience to practice a level in a videogame for hour and hours

so i did other levels, and those other levels, tho less difficult on their own, amounted to teaching me the stuff i needed to SS hideouts, and when i eventually got around to it, it was surprisingly easy.

and then i polished off the entire mansion hub in like an hour or two, when the first hub i did took me like eight, and i felt like a super janitor doing it.

so yeah, it's an incredibly smart game, which is why i made an unironic thread appreciating it in DDRD

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I am sure it is a good game, but like many good games that require you to learn them, i never had the patience too, so i ended up not liking it.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
did any of you guys ever get the cheevo? i'm shooting for it right now but i uhhh hahahaha can't do any of the difficults to save my life and just beating them is hard

it sort of feels hopeless, which is a weird sensation to have, given that i just SS'd everything else. you'd think i'd be good at the game by now

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

mabels big day posted:

I am sure it is a good game, but like many good games that require you to learn them, i never had the patience too, so i ended up not liking it.

That's the beauty of Dustforce though: you don't need to be great at it to love it, you can just play the easier levels and relax.

Tarranon posted:

did any of you guys ever get the cheevo? i'm shooting for it right now but i uhhh hahahaha can't do any of the difficults to save my life and just beating them is hard

it sort of feels hopeless, which is a weird sensation to have, given that i just SS'd everything else. you'd think i'd be good at the game by now

Yeah, I got it. It's doable, you only need to SS Giga Difficult, not every level of that set. The hardest bit of Giga is at the very end, unfortunately.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Tarranon posted:

so yeah, it's an incredibly smart game, which is why i made an unironic thread appreciating it in DDRD

this was well said, ddrd does not hate all videogames and this thread is proof

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
someone gift this game to me on stam , tia

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

this game would be really well known if the difficulty curve was a bit kinder.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Famous TV Dad posted:

also if it was on sale sometimes, this game is never on sale wtf.

it should be as cheap as supergay meat boy

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Is it fascism yet posted:

also if it was on sale sometimes, this game is never on sale wtf.

it should be as cheap as supergay meat boy

it was in a humble bundle

if it's cheap during this steam sale (lol right) i'll probably gift some out here because it's so good

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
It was one of the flash sales on GOG this summer sale too.

Anyway, here's an extra copy: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=MWcrW2sha5hPasMN

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Falsum posted:

It was one of the flash sales on GOG this summer sale too.

Anyway, here's an extra copy: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=MWcrW2sha5hPasMN

whoa thank you. gonna play this and be extremely drustrated by the hard levels

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Famous TV Dad posted:

no one would ever confuse me for being good at videogames and i thought it was pretty good

you just have to know when to give up on a level and come back to it later. if you insist on spending hours and hours doing the very mega tough level you come across yeah you'll get frustrated and quit

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
The difficulty curve is fine, in my opinion. There are checkpoints pretty often, so you don't need to complete a difficult portion several times because you died at an easy jump right afterwards (with a few exceptions like Clocktower, which doesn't have any checkpoints but is also a 30-ish seconds level). You don't have to do the level well to complete it, either, and the game starts you off with levels that are very easy to SS even if you're new at the game.

The later levels are really hard to SS, but that's perfectly fine too. Having a good difficulty curve doesn't require that every level be easy, just that the player is able to learn and master the mechanics they'll need in harder levels.

this was well said, ddrd does not hate all videogames and this thread is proof

I don't think anyone here hates videogames. Personally, I hate some of the recent trends in videogames (the rush after ~art~, immersion, accessibility over depth and gameplay, positive reinforcement of the player for completing menial tasks, etc.)

Falsum fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 18, 2014

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Tarranon posted:

no one would ever confuse me for being good at videogames and i thought it was pretty good

you just have to know when to give up on a level and come back to it later. if you insist on spending hours and hours doing the very mega tough level you come across yeah you'll get frustrated and quit
Also helps to know that the characters aren't just different skins, they actually control differently and have special powers. Some are much better than others for different levels.

Dustforce is really good, even if some of the later levels are total bullshit to SS. Also don't really like the arena levels that much, they're just all right.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

I was going to say reinstalling, but looks like I still have it installed, which is good now that I have a gamepad plugged in in.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

qnqnx posted:

I was going to say reinstalling, but looks like I still have it installed, which is good now that I have a gamepad plugged in in.

a word of advice old friend, make sure your gamepad has a really good dpad, otherwise you are better off sticking to the keyboard

it's my one regret about this game

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Tarranon posted:

a word of advice old friend, make sure your gamepad has a really good dpad, otherwise you are better off sticking to the keyboard

it's my one regret about this game
PS3 pad, so it's going to be the left thumbstick despite usually pointing up+right instead of right

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

qnqnx posted:

PS3 pad, so it's going to be the left thumbstick despite usually pointing up+right instead of right

good luck (you're going to need it)

e. I've tried all kinds of button configs for controllers, for a while I even gave using the four face buttons as each direction a shot. That was kinda nice, reminded me of using an old ps1 d-pad. My conclusion though is anything short of an arcade stick isn't really going to do that much better.

e.e. I also like keyboard more than any gamepad short of a stick for fighters and most people think that's insane (just no grapplers gently caress that)

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jun 18, 2014

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
i agree that this is a good game, but i'm a goon so here's my quibble: the mechanic where you mash dash to maintain your speed from a slope doesn't feel good. too mashy

but regardless of that, platformer fans and speedrun fans should deffo play this

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

SeXReX posted:

good luck (you're going to need it)

e. I've tried all kinds of button configs for controllers, for a while I even gave using the four face buttons as each direction a shot. That was kinda nice, reminded me of using an old ps1 d-pad. My conclusion though is anything short of an arcade stick isn't really going to do that much better.

e.e. I also like keyboard more than any gamepad short of a stick for fighters and most people think that's insane (just no grapplers gently caress that)

I don't remember which one, but one of the top speed runners uses a pad. I think it's Thor. Some sort of play station controller.

Blows my mind

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Tarranon posted:

I don't remember which one, but one of the top speed runners uses a pad. I think it's Thor. Some sort of play station controller.

Blows my mind

I've also heard one of them uses just the stick from a pad and then their keyboard for the buttons.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtLaJeyV7gY this is now the feel good thread of the year

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Tarranon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtLaJeyV7gY this is now the feel good thread of the year
gj

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Tarranon posted:

nice

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
Dustforce is on sale at GOG for 2$, for the next 2 hours: http://www.gog.com/

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Falsum posted:

Dustforce is on sale at GOG for 2$, for the next 2 hours: http://www.gog.com/

i hope you all bought this product.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Tarranon posted:

the funky jams did it for ya

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I wish the framerate didn't crap out on Vita on some of the levels, Backup Shift (I think?) is basically unplayable.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
wow this game is fun and good but boy howdy am i terrible at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Dustforce seems like a game I'd really really like but for some reason I haven't bought it yet.

• Locked thread