Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

End Of Worlds posted:

Do I have to read Go Set A Watchman

I feel like I have to read Go Set A Watchman

Anyway the New York Times review is up

I'm not going to read it because I never had the fondness for mockingbird that others had for it and I'm pretty sure Lee is being used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

The one time I met Lin at a party he was hitting on underage girls all night and kept asking if I had xanax several times.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

blue squares posted:

es. There's a great one in Rhetoric Society Quarterly comparing a letter from Paul to a speech by George W Bush about the war on terror. Very interesting. Not sure of the title or author, though

I remembered reading that and thinking that they were really reaching to make some connections.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Do you really think that the book of Ruth is really that influential?

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

This is my motivation. Coates has written the most important book on race in a generation and its going to be much more fun to discuss than just going "this book is goofy lol" for a month.

I just finished it rather than read matroya because someone loaned it to me and the guy who responded to me in the general discussion thread was right, its basically a book to see if you paid attention to us news the past year. I mean you can use the book to talk about race relations due to it adding a layer of abstraction (instead of an event its talking about a book) but I really don't think its that important. Every point he makes has been already put forth. Plus the d&d style arguments that would be made in that thread would be awful.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Ventadour posted:

Hi TBB, I've been reading through this thread and saw some cool & good recs so I thought I'd try asking too.

In June I finished a school semester during which, because of some poor choices in classes and professors, the only books I read were Quebecian (and otherwise French-Canadian) novels that didn't appeal to me at all. I was really looking forward to free time and reading for fun after that, but now that I have it, nothing on my shelf or Kindle looks appealing, and I put everything down after ten pages or so.

So I thought that maybe I should try asking for recommendations for some new stuff? Some authors I like include Colette, Dostoyevsky, Zadie Smith and Kenzaburo Oe, but I'm open to a lot of things as long as they're not overly grim and pessimistic.

Thanks in advance!

ryu murakami (he's not the one your thinking of)
kenzaburo oe
osuma dazai's fairytail book is not depressing compared to his other works
kobe abe
Witold Gombrowicz (there is no way for him not to be there!)
checkov
kafka
Dezső Kosztolányi
carlos fuentes

Stravinsky fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 26, 2015

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I'm going off of the fact that Dostoyevsky is not grim and depressing. Kafka, while grim is really funny.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

What's the context because that's going to make all the difference.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

I want to read Utsukushii Hoshi.

Is it at all common for literary works to get "fan translations" and put online by individuals? I think I'd enjoy doing that if I don't get hosed up the rear end with copyrights and stuff.

I have never heard of anyone sued for doing that especially because your not going to be publishing/selling it I think you would be OK. Either way you should do it and send me a link.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Just put your translations up on here, the forum for books and poems

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

stirner is the weirdest loving anarchist

like wtf dude

Stirnerr is way better than Chomsky if we are talking "anarchist" writers

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

gently caress all of you

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I would honestly rather this thread go back to saying stuff like Mishima is an aesthetic fascist or that they don't like 2666 than read another post about where to draw the literature line which is always retarded as hell

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

ulvir posted:

not that much left of 2015 now, and I'm noticing that my reading list is hella male-centric to boot. Apart from Sylvia Plath, any other female authors I should bump up in my reading queue?

Evelyn Waugh

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

oops I was two pages too late to make that joke

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I'm slowley making my way through maldoror at a crawl but I'm thinking a lot about zeno's conscious and the moments where he goes to the shrill voiced singer and in his first attempt to truly make her his mistress her akward mother is there as well and he just sits and reads from a singing theory book hoping she would leave but she is to petrified to move and lmao

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

maldoror bored me so im reading zorastrian hymns instead.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

both books have the translators slamming other peoples translations so at least i have some continuity going on

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

You really didn't get the point of blood meridian did you?

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Update: back on maldoror after zoroastrian hymns, still bored. Sensless violence and hate does very little for me.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

If you want to read about a student being obsessed with a dejected older man and how he wants to die constantly read kokorro and remember to check the dimensions of the book before you get it.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I think I'm going to read the Good Terrorists now because terrorism is cool and very in right now plus I tripped on it reminding me that I owned it

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

CestMoi posted:

I haven't had a job for 4 days and I have read half of the Sickness Unto Death, 2 Cosmicomics, played 20 hours of Binding of Isaac and watched the entirety of season 3 of House, M.D.

Being unemployed rules :cheers:

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

oh just put up The Plague by Camus or something

I would participate if it was this

Burning Rain posted:

or a novel about foot fetishists, i guess. should bring new crowds to TBB

Or this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

a lot of anarcho-primatists call for human genocide but not a lot that have published (legit publishers bat least.,) will out right say it. so far dorris lessing's the good terrorist is ftw and some of the characters remind me of people i used to hang with.